[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what's the overall opinion on Windows 10 here? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
So, what's the overall opinion on Windows 10 here? Is it finally the end of times, when we switch to Linux for good?

I don't know what it's been like for the last couple of years because I've used Linux and OS X exclusively.
>>
File: _20151228_001337.jpg (2 MB, 3218x1976) Image search: [Google]
_20151228_001337.jpg
2 MB, 3218x1976
It's great
>>
botnet/10
>>
>>52883303

I like how you have to wait the 3 minutes for the report process to finish before it will restart.
>>
It's the first Windows that doesn't make me wish I was using Linux instead.
>>
>>52883305
this
>>
>>52883327
Literally cold shutdown and installed Debian.
>>
It's actually really good.

With Classic Shell and Grid Move it's top class.

They've certainly improved on it quite a bit from the early access versions.

My only lingering complaint is that the universal search can slug a little bit if the machine is under load from another process.

Notable delay if you are alt tabbed out of something intensive and trying to search from the bar.

Very happy with it.

Doesn't run as well on low end hardware though: Had to dump some animations and transparency on my Transformer book, but laptop and desktop are fine.
>>
>>52883303
Sucks you're a bumbling fucktard who can't operate a computer properly.
Last time my PC crashed was with Vista
>>
>>52883362
nice work panjeet, you won't have to starve to death today.
>>
I've been using Windows for over 20 years. I switched a few months after the telemetry shitstorm was taking off.
>>
it's good

>le spying meme
kill yourselves
>>
>>52883368
Read the error dumb
Bad drivers are just that.
>>
>>52883340
How so?

>>52883362
How does classic shell compare to bash, zsh and mksh?

>>52883385
I agree with this, but how does it differ from Google's grip on your data?

I am considering going full neckbeard and installing libreboot with Trisquel on an X201.
>>
>>52883738
>but how does it differ from Google's grip on your data?
Almost no significant way. I don't use any type of network magic to hide myself and Google knows what I post on 4chan all the time with the addition of their services like their e-mail, search engine, YouTube, and Android. I would like to try and move away from the botnet, but it's very difficult. I don't really care what they know about my videos, a phone is botnet no matter what you do, setting up a mailserver is a possibility, and I don't know which search engine to use since DDG is not only shit but botnet as well.
>>
>>52883376

Maybe you should actually try using it?
>>
>>52883738

Classic Shell is a start menu / task bar replacer and customizer.

You can customize the start menu to mimic whatever version of Windows you prefer, or go custom.

If you want Unix command line you want Cygwin (now owned and maintained by Red Hat, GNU GPL).

Let's you do lots of fun stuff, you can use apt-cyg as a package manager like apt-get, and you can even install KDE or GNOME instead of the Windows Aero DE.

You can also install bash or zsh as a shell via apt-cyg if you're more comfortable in them.
>>
>>52883296
It's okay, but its stability it's shit and in some aspects is still too immature

After a year or two of polishing it will be a very good OS. It's like Vista, which stopped being shit after a couple of service packs.
>>
>>52883945

What stability issues are you having?

I haven't had any issues at all, even on the insider builds.
>>
>>52883991
Sometimes, when I turn on the computer with the fast boot thing activated, half of my shit just doesn't work, For example, the WiFi menu doesn't show up.

I have had several of >>52883303, most of them after updating a driver.

Speaking of drivers, Windows Update installed some days ago an update of the Intel HD drivers and after that the HDMI video signal was bluish. I had to uninstall the drivers and update them again in order to fix it.

Sometimes, the start menu refuses to undock some programs.

Windows 8 and Windows 7 run perfectly fine on the same machine.
>>
>>52883943
Sorry, I read classic shell and thought powershell.

>>52883830
>Almost no significant way.
And this is my problem with both Google and Microsoft. However, I know that Google is smart enough to use the dataharvesting for some good things, whereas Microsoft will do whatever the highest bidder wants.

There is no escape.
>>
File: 1453790290767.png (728 KB, 784x1031) Image search: [Google]
1453790290767.png
728 KB, 784x1031
>pajeets shilling other pajeets
>>
>>52883296
I have it on my T400
>can't switch my default .pdf reader for whatever reason
>hardware isn't properly supported(win8 had no issues, Debian just needed non-free drivers)
>crashes randomly
>updates are even more forced on you than on win8
Maybe it'd be better on newer hardware, but neither Debian or win8 had any of these issues.
Overall, feels like an unfinished product.

I'm probably installing Debian again soon, as it didn't give me more shit to deal with every other day.
>>
it's the source of /g/s most epic memes
besides these memes
it's the best windows yet
>inb4 memes
>>
>>52883296
windows has always been a buggy pile of shit, nothing new was brought in to the table with W10 except the error messages have a more friendly font and a emoticon
>>
>>52883296
All of the bullshit surrounding Win10 has pushed me to finally switch to Linux. I've been on Win7 with updates disabled for a long time, but with how much they're trying to force 10 and its assorted spying on everyone, I'm done. 7 is getting old and I'm not going to the trouble of trying to stop 10's spying in vain, so it's time to switch for me.
>>
Spying is built in and can't be completely disabled. I refuse to touch it.
>>
>>52884853
You several and several others.
>>
>>52884806
but anon
>>
My start menu stops working every day so i have to restart explorer. Besides that no complaints aside from the telemetry shit. But besides that no complains really except sometimes the settings menu will open up for a second and then close again. But besides that no complaints.
>>
>>52885096
So what you're saying is, you have complaints.
>>
>>52885096
top kek
>>
I don't want this shit. I'm going to switch to Linux. Only two things that are bothering me is that article about new processor generation that will only be supported by w10 (no driver support for other platforms?) and some anon that said gayming on Linux is a meme. Are there still issues after years of steam being available at the software center?
>>
>>52885432
Just do it anon. Worse comes to worst just dual boot windows when you need muh gaymes. I think Qemu/kvm is alleviating that need altogether too
>>
>>52883296
Its okay, but if you do CP you will probably go full autism and install gentoo.
>>
>>52885432
Steam has about 2000 games now that run on GNU+Linux, Gabe newell uses Debian and SteamOS is a Debian derivative. It's not perfect yet but it's being pushed in the right direction, if gaming is your main concern.
>>
>>52885453
I although heard dual boot isnt a good idea bc Microsoft don't want that. I'll go for a full install.
>>52885476
Cp = computer programming ? But no gentoo is to much hussle for me
>>52885511
Nice so there isn't a big performance drop or something?
>>
>>52885453
>dualbooting win10
>the OS that will soon scan all devices and boot sectors to eliminate "virux"
>>
>>52883296
it's thrash, not even good for games bc of it's abusive RAM usage and slow startup times.
>>
>>52885780
>he went all out
you don't do that if you want to bait
>>
>>52885594
Child Pron
>>
File: 1453956122007.png (283 KB, 528x1866) Image search: [Google]
1453956122007.png
283 KB, 528x1866
>>52883296
A
PIECE
OF SHIT
>>
File: 12705357.jpg (18 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
12705357.jpg
18 KB, 540x405
>>52883303
JUST
>>
>>52883303
>>52887741
>people use windoze because it "just works"
>now it doesn't even work
>>
>>52887741
yeah lets trust the average person to review tech..

>all those hyperbole examples of how shitty win10 is..
>>
Made me switch to GNU/Linux. Well done, MS.
>>
File: strickland.jpg (62 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
strickland.jpg
62 KB, 400x300
>>52887900
>tfw it doesn't just werk anymore with win10
>tfw can't go back to debian that just werks anymore because got too used to doing shit with windows programs in uni and learning to do everything with linux by myself(since everyone else just uses windows) is a giant hassle
>tfw downgrade to 8 that also just werks is now a giant hassle too because of microshit's forced update bullshit and having to configure all the settings in every program all over again
Why did I even "upgrade" to win10, now I need to deal with a lot of bullshit just to get myself back to the productivity level I had in last December.

Just why.

I feel like taking the system restore point I made last July. If even that works in win10, that is.
>>
>>52888472
>paying thousands of dollars to learn how to use Microsoft products
You fucked up. Just cut your losses and switch to Debian. The sooner you do, the sooner you'll get used to it.
>>
>>52887903
>Implying windows isn't anything but normalcuck: the OS
>>
Has worked fine for me. The telemetry stuff isn't something I worry about but yeah I wish it wasn't impossible to disable.

I actually gave Linux Mint Cinnamon a go but ended up going back to Windows because I was too lazy to learn something new.
>>
>>52883296
BOTNET
B
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>52888529
The shitty thing is, no matter what I choose to do, I'm going to have to basically set up my whole OS, all the programs and all the settings all over again just because win10 is so dysfunctional and I fell for the meme.

But the thing is, during uni I've been running win8 and I don't even know if everything we use is Debian compatible. I don't even know if something like PADS runs through Wine.
>>
>>52883296
SAGE IN ALL FIELDS
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.