[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we increase software availability on Linux? There is shitload
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8
How do we increase software availability on Linux?
There is shitload of fields for which Linux has no decent native software solutions.
Linux still can't into most of media production.
Valve is pushing people to put games on Linux, but 80% of current Stem games for Linux are not very good.
CAD solutions are also weak.
Those are just first fields that come to my mind.

IMHO that's the biggest obstacle on the way to Year of Linux desktopᴹᴱᴹᴱ
>>
>>52881786
GNU/Linux is not actually meant for mass consumers.
>>
>>52882039
/thread
>>
>>52881786
>How do we increase software availability on Linux?

By putting more pressure on software vendors. Or not. I mean, look at Adobe... Used to support Flash on Linux, now they don't, but you can still make it work with pepperflash...

And nothing of value was lost, because the web's moving to HTML5 anyway and Flash was always shit.

Anyway, the issues with Windows 10 that have already driven a bunch of Windows users over to Linux are only going to become more pronounced as Microsoft transitions to a SaaS business model.

OS X too is getting bad reviews on the Apple Store for El Capitan 10.11.3, so I think the best strategy is to just wait for Microsoft and Apple to fuck their userbases over so hard they switch.

And eventually, that'll happen, because Microsoft and Apple exist only to generate profit, and they're fast reaching the point where there's nothing left to exploit from their customers except the customers themselves.

Linux doesn't have that problem because it doesn't exist solely to make money. Some people complain about the Linux ecosystem being so fragmented, but that's honestly its greatest strength... When devs abandon a piece of GPL'd software, we don't lose it the way proprietary software becomes lost. It's still there for others to step in and take over active development.

tl;dr: Just wait and enjoy the ride, it'll happen eventually anyway.
>>
>>52882327
>just wait for Microsoft and Apple to fuck their userbases over so hard they switch.
But Linux (+GNU for stallmanites) should be ready for all those users abandoning proprietary ecosystems. There is still time, but FOSS community should stop being autistic and start making rational decisions.
I'm not saying to stop being dicks to each other. That's what keep code quality up.

When normies start jumping off proprietary ship, Linux should be "preferable alternative" instead of a "necessary compromise".
>>
>>52882539
Be the change you want to see. It's easy to sit here complaining about the state of things on a Peruvian pan-flute purveyor's posting site, but the only thing that'll change the situation is people actually stepping up and doing something about it, like Valve.
>>
>>52881786
IBM was once asked why they went with Linux over BSD. The answer was that Linux was what their customers wanted. If they suddenly start demanding something else, IBM will accommodate them. It really is as simple as that.

Also, start developing yourself. A long time ago that was how shit was done. Companies and individuals needed software that wasn't available, so they developed it. Over time they realized that others wanted the same things and were willing to license pre-existing software.
>>
The only lacking field is Media production, becasue on the CAE area it's covered by NX in the high end, but it would be nice to see more simpler software like Solid Works, and in 2D CAD you can use Draftsight (same company as Solid Works), plus if you need data analysis you have a lot of software to work with, you even have the Mathematica suite.
>>
>>52882660
>The only lacking field is Media production

Except this isn't quite true. It might be true at the home-user level, but;

>Industrial Light & Magic (LucasFilm)
>Disney-Pixar
>DreamWorks Animation

They're all using Linux. What you want to do... Well there's software far, far more powerful already in existence, so if anything, you'd want to license (or download, I think you can get Pixar's RenderMan software free for non-commercial uses) something they've already got and pare it back down to something for the amateur enthusiast.
>>
>>52882596
Your second para is quite inspirational.
Thank you.
>>
>>52882583
I'm actually already trying, but I don't believe that change can occur if I'm the only one trying.
>>
>>52883017
Well I was hoping that didn't come across as sounding simplistic or rude. It is the only real option besides convincing commercial developers to develop what you want. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.

Personally, I'm a machinist by trade. I mainly do manual operations, but I've been doing more and more CNC overtime, plus I'm just interested in it anyway. I'm learning more about programming because there simply aren't many decent options for Open source shit, especially CAM software. I'm also a fan of FreeBSD and OpenBSD, but the options are even more limited there than Linux. I'd like to eventually be able to get involved in helping develop some decent free solutions.
>>
>>52881786
If you actually use Linux every day this shouldn't be a problem to you.
If it is, t.b.h, just stay on Windows.
The people who moved either stay on Linux because they are just fine with the current situation or move to Windows/OSX because they aren't.
I'm staying on Linux with no plans whatsoever on changing, but I don't mind using the right tool for the job.
If I need to use a Windows computer at work, I'll use it at work and then go home and use my Linux computer for personal things.
>>
>>52881786
>How do we increase software availability on Linux?
besides the demand side, linux needs to fix their shit.
that means:
1. stable ABI/API
2. an SDK
3. direct distribution channel without unneeded gatekeepers like distro's
>>
>>52881786
>CAD solutions are also weak.
Do you have any reference to back this up? Because in electronics and anything electrical related Linux is the deal. I'm yet to see a company that does not have RHEL running to provide CAD solutions for electronic design.
>>
>>52881786
The reliance on the command line interface is the biggest obstacle for desktop linux.

Someone should make a distro where the CLI is completely inaccessible by the user. If the system can perform daily tasks for 1 year without fucking up, then it's good to go.
>>
>>52881786
>Valve is pushing people to put games on Linux, but 80% of current Stem games for Linux are not very good.
80% of Steam games aren't good period.

>CAD solutions are also weak.
Do you even EagleCAD?

>IMHO that's the biggest obstacle on the way to Year of Linux desktopᴹᴱᴹᴱ
None of these issues relate to "desktop computers"

Music production = work station task
CAD = work station task
Hardcore PC gaming = niche market
>>
>>52881786
I'd say the two most important pieces of proprietory software are MS Office and Photoshop.

I'm actually using Office 2010 with Wine and it's sufficient. But for "normies" and corporations this will not be an option.
>>
>>52883697
SolidWorks / Inventor are used massively in the mechanical industry and completely incapable

>>52883624
>Linux needs an SDK
What?
>>
>>52884597
Office 365
>>
>>52882039
Finished the thread straight from the first post.
>>
>>52884627
It doesn't have the same features, does it? I was using the online version of Office like 2 years ago and it was a joke. Literally the same few features as the office software on my Blackberry, just better MS compatibility.
>>
Marketing/social engineering is the real problem. People grow up using windows or mac in schools. If you get a computer from a common vendor it comes with windows preinstalled. Most people do not ever manually change their operating system, they accept the default that is handed to them. If GNU+Linux had more marketing presence and more desktop/laptop usage, it would result in this missing/lacking software being created. Yet, the lack of this software is preventing some people from switching when they otherwise would. It's not easy to solve.
>>
>>52883697
yeah, that's one thing that's great about linux. It has pretty much all the tools I use as an EEE:
>matlab
>SageMaths
>MPLAB
>SPICE
>EAGLE
>>
>>52882782
That might sort of be the case for animation, but for editing Linux is still lacking. There is nothing remotely close to Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X. For color grading I believe DaVinci Resolve is available on Linux, but only the paid version (correct me if I'm wrong).
>>
>>52883697

altium designer does not support linux
>tfw I might have to install windows just for that
>>
>>52883624
>direct distribution channel without unneeded gatekeepers like distro's
That is a bad idea. Linux is decentralized by nature. This lets people choose whether they want to offer proprietary or non-free software.
>>
>>52884478
That actually sounds like an interesting test
>>
>>52882039

Close thread!
>>
File: 1452125139217.jpg (62 KB, 352x492) Image search: [Google]
1452125139217.jpg
62 KB, 352x492
>>52881786
We have a lot of software out there, and I mean A LOT, and is quality and sui generis, is just not enough promoted by the community.
>>
>>52885410
you misunderstand and yes, it should be decentralized without any gatekeepers.
it should be like on Windows:
so for example Mozilla can give the end-user their product - Firefox - and doesn't have to hope for some distro to package it, while not fucking up.
The not fucking up part is harder than you think, the only distro that i know that doesn't is Ubuntu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Lucid/FirefoxNewSupportModel
others care more about non-bundling instead of providing a stable version as intended by upstream.
>>
>>52882039
>>52882326
>>52884817
>>52885561
samefag
>>
>> CAD
Fix the openCASCADE CAD kernel
>>
>>52885659
/thread
>>
The only thing that is holding me back from fully switching to Linux is the fact that music production SUCKS no matter what your do.

>inb4 Virtualbox, LMMS, Bitwig, Ardour, Wine or dualboot
I tried all those options and trust me, it gave me more problems than solutions.

Man, all I want is a FOSS Daw like REAPER that supports VST's and soundcards the same way it performs on Windows, is that much to ask? ;-;
>>
File: 1453244058547.jpg (81 KB, 583x581) Image search: [Google]
1453244058547.jpg
81 KB, 583x581
>Complains Linux doesn't has the tool he wants

Jesus Christ, , the person who says there is no software on Linux to fulfill a niche is lying, and the one who says the software has not enough quality should lurk moar.

Here is a short list of a longer one I am composing:

Boot Screen: Fbsplash, Splashy
Display Manager: Qingy, SLiM
Keybinding: Autokey, Xbindkeys, xmodmap
Macro Recorder: xdotool, Xnee
Application Launcher: dmenu, ratmenu
Dock: Tint2, fbpanel
X Event Display: xev, xwininfo, xprop
Status Bar Client: Byobu, Dzen
Status Bar Server: i3status, monky
Notification Daemon: dunst
Notificacion Server: Libcanberra + Libnotify
Window Manager: dwm, Ratpoison, TinyWM, miwm, i3
File Manager: Ytree, Ranger, rover, worker
Multiplexer: GNU Screen
Terminal: UXTerm, rxvt-unicode (a.k.a. urxvt)
Worskpace Pager: Skippy-XD
Window Resizing: wmctrl, QuickTile
Clipboard: xclip, XSel
Wallpaper Changer: hsetroot
Animated Wallpaper: Xplanet, xmountains, Xsnow, Xphoon
Video Wallpaper: VLC
Terminal As Wallpaper: xrootconsole
>>
>>52885805
Why is there no some website where all "this shit is preventing me from completely switching to Linux" reasons are collected and sorted by number of people affected.
Some sort of universal Linux wishlist.
>>
File: 24491748.jpg (80 KB, 371x358) Image search: [Google]
24491748.jpg
80 KB, 371x358
>>52885805
>vst-bridge 2014-06-20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvE4Bixi3W0

>How to Install VST Plugins in Audacity - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHd_Vl5EVAk

>Airwave VST bridge
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13686

>Audacity VST Enabler
http://audacityteam.org/vst/

>VST Plug-ins
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/VST_Plug-ins
>>
>>52885896
Ratpoison is legit.
>>
>>52885661
I have tried to use freecad for making 3d models.
It is very basic.
I can live with how you apply constraints, but compared to something like autocad or inventor, it is completely useless.
Stuff like making paper printable documentation/specifications, drilling holes, using general components, simulating physics, is just not there.
I would love to have a free cad tool for gnu/linux but these things are not really there yet.
>>
>>52881786
>80% of current Stem games for Linux are not very good
And 80% of all games are not very good. Look at the new releases and tell me how many are decent.
>>
It's pretty weird that there's little commercial software for GNU/Linux when you think about it. Most comp sci and engineering programs use GNU/Linux distros because it's easy to teach how file hierarchies, programming, compilers, etc all fit together. There's a lot of built in system libraries that are useful as fuck too.

You'd think it'd be swarming with commercial software, given that everybody who knows programming would be familiar with it.
>>
>>52886001
>unironically recommending Audacity as a DAW for serious music production

This has to be bait, even the fucking wiki says it.

>VST instruments (VSTi) (such as synths) and real-time VST effects (that change the audio data while playing or recording) are not yet supported.
>VST 3 plug-ins are not supported

I don't what the fuck I'm talking about : The post™
>>
>>52886273
>little commercial software for GNU/Linux
Are you high? There's a fuckton of commercial software for Linux, a lot more than most other operating systems.

I mean, what the fuck do you think people run on their Linux servers?

Here's some on the top of my head: Various Cisco stuff, OracleDB and Oracle Application Server, a bunch of web servers like nginx and Apache, a bunch of IDEs and other proprietary development tools (such as icc and stuff), various CUDA toolkits, MATLAB+Mathematica+SPSS, wireshark and libpcap, a bunch of CAD software like EAGLE and Siemens NX, VMWare stuff (like VMWare workstation), a bunch of IBM stuff, a bunch of Lotus stuff, Sybase, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Sun/Oracle Java stuff, even a bunch of anti-virus programs (no, I'm not kidding), Skype, all of the web browsers, all of the FTP clients, etc.
>>
>>52886419
like half of those are only for certified RHEL not Linux.
there's no Linux OS to target as every distro is their own OS with different system libs, ABI, APIs, packaging rules, ...
>>
>>52886511
>like half of those are only for certified RHEL not Linux.
>only for certified RHEL
Absolutely not.
>>
>>52886511
>different system libs and ABIs
You're completely retarded.
>>
>>52886873
nope, linux is.
let's compare the libc between various distros.
>>
>>52881786
Start coding, bitch.
>>
>>52887105
>implying you can't install older and newer versions of glibc and have them installed simultaneously
>>
>>52884505

music production is hardly a "workstation task".
>>
>>52887150
It really is.

Hobby tinkering with a cheap sound card isn't "music production". It requires programs with expensive licence and better-than-consumer-grade hardware.
>>
>>52886001

The day that LMMS is the functional equivalent of FL Studio 4 (you know, the version released back in 2003?) is the day I switch to Linux for music production. I've tried using Linux for music production since the days of S-Lab and the shit still sucks. Rosegarden ALMOST had it, it took a bazillion years before Ardour even had a sequencer, and Jack is still a royal pain to set up. Even with all of that, I still can't use the bulk of the plugins I rely on for production.
>>
>>52883624
>1. stable ABI/API
Linux and GNU have a stable API, stable ABI means stagnation, and besides, Windows doesn't have stable API/ABI either.
>2. an SDK
Any distro is your SDK.
>3. direct distribution channel without unneeded gatekeepers like distro's
So, like, AUR?
>>
>>52885643
Can I ask you how does Arch not provice stable as intended by upstream?
>>
>>52887134
>implying I don't code already
And that's exactly the problem I have with Linux.
I don't want Linux to be the system where "Start coding, bitch." is the solution for every problem.
I want to see Linux grow beyond that.
>>
>>52887137
if you aren't retarded you don't.
libc manages a number of global objects (memory management, threads, environment, locales, etc) and having several different versions of them in the same address space is a recipe for disaster.

you could go against your operating systems policy and static link, but some libraries are loaded dynamically. so for glibc, you will lose for example NSS:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/FAQ#Even_statically_linked_programs_need_some_shared_libraries_which_is_not_acceptable_for_me.__What_can_I_do.3F
>>
>>52887479
>I don't want Linux to be the system where "Start coding, bitch." is the solution for every problem.
>I want to see Linux grow beyond that.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE

It's the #1 OS for
>servers
>toasters
>mobile phones
>basically all embedded devices
>super computers
>clusters
>routers and switches and network bridges

Virtually the only thing it isn't the #1 OS for is as a desktop OS
>>
>>52887603
>if you aren't retarded you don't.
Obviously you have never developed professionally....

>libc manages a number of global objects (memory management, threads, environment, locales, etc) and having several different versions of them in the same address space is a recipe for disaster.
You are a fucking idiot.

Each process has its own fucking virtual address space you fucking imbecile. When you start the process it loads the appropriate version of glibc (aka the one the program has been built/targeted for).

It's not like glibc is something that's just there in memory all the time for the entire OS, it's basically just like any other dynamic library: The process loads it on start-up into a specific area in memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_linker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_address_space
>>
>>52887673
>>52887603
I mean, there's a fucking good chance you already have multiple instances of libc already.

Just run ldd for some executables and see for yourself.
>>
>>52887435
using unsanctioned system libraries, for example NSS, instead of the ones bundled upstream.
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/mozconfig?h=packages/firefox
>>
>>52887673
>When you start the process it loads the appropriate version of glibc (aka the one the program has been built/targeted for).
how the fuck do you think that works, retard.
if it has the same soname the linker has no fucking idea.
did you notice that every distro does their own soname naming?
are you feeling lucky to have chosen an unique one that no distro or other dev will ever chose in your retarded system?
>>
>>52887673
>i have no idea that there are global objects
>>
>>52888043
>how the fuck do you think that works, retard.
It's described in the ELF format, you idiot. What info do you think ldd prints?

>if it has the same soname the linker has no fucking idea.
Of course it does, because it also contains the version.

What do you think the fucking VERSION DEFINITION section is for?

How the FUCK do you think 32-bit binaries with 32-bit versions of libc work on 64-bit OSes?

Run objdump -p /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 and get something like pic related.
>>
>>52888133
>How the FUCK do you think 32-bit binaries with 32-bit versions of libc work on 64-bit OSes?
why the FUCK do you think you can't use the 64-bit binary anymore, if you already have a 32-bit one?
>>
>>52888235
>why the FUCK do you think you can't use the 64-bit binary anymore, if you already have a 32-bit one?
Huh? What the fuck are you talking about? Are you trying to imply that you can't have both a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version of the same library/binary?

Because clearly you can... Run dpkg/rpm -l libc6 ...

Of course, the same application can't LOAD these at the same time, but that's not the same as them coexisting on the system and being loaded by the programs when needed.
>>
>>52888284
>>52888235
Pic related, 32-bit and 64-bit libc6 installed on the same system.
>>
>>52888133
>How the FUCK do you think 32-bit binaries with 32-bit versions of libc work on 64-bit OSes?
which OS are we talking about?
Debian uses multiarch, RHEL lib64/lib32.
lib64/lib32 needs special casing.
>>
>>52887604
I agree with you that Linux is most widely used system in the world.
However, that does not invalidate my point that "hurr just write your own program" is the solution for bad and unfinished tools on Linux.
>>
>>52885896
add tmux to multiplexers
>>
>>52888284
>the same application can't LOAD these at the same time
why not? didn't you say everyone has their own virtualized memory?
>>
>>52888595
Actually, as of Linux 3.4 you can because of x32 ABI.

But before that, you couldn't because of CPU modes (long mode addressing vs protected mode addressing).
>>
>>52888669
>x32 ABI
that never lived and always was a bad idea.

debian's multiarch wiki page mentions that it should be possible in the future for normal x86 but no details given.
>The existing proposals allow for the co-installation of libraries and headers for different architectures, but not (yet) binaries.
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
>>
Linux currently has near-total dominance in server space.

Linux currently has near-total dominance in handheld space.

What can be done in the desktop space? Simple, cater to the consumer. That means games or porn.

In porn, it doesn't matter, so that won't drive it. For games, Steam is helping, but still, it doesn't matter.

It won't happen. Be happy you discovered it yourself, and be happy with total absolute control over everything but one, arguably small segment of computer use (vs. server use on a per-user basis).
>>
>>52889038
>Linux currently has near-total dominance in server space.
in your dreams, faggot:
http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all
>Linux is used by 36.1% of all the websites.
>Windows is used by 32.1% of all the websites
>>
>>52887604
>>52889038
When robots come, they will run on Linux.
Therefore my waifu will run on Linux.
In future, I will be able to literally fuck Linux.
Future looks bright, fellow /g/entlemen.
>>
>>52889146

>36.1% Linux
>32.1% Windows
>31.8% Everything else, including Unix/BSD/etc.
>Somehow not considered dominant in someone's mind.

Stay classy.
>>
>>52881786
Don't worry, Microsoft will go bankrupt by 2025.
2018 will be the year of Linux desktop, by 2022 95% of the windows/mac software will be ported on Linux, games included.
>>
>>52882039
Yeah considering it takes an act of god to find and install software on Linux and all wiki and knowledgebase articles explain things to the end user as though they should already know how to do everything.
>>
>>52889146
>>Linux currently has near-total dominance in server space.
>in your dreams, faggot:
>http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all

>Linux is used by 53.2% of all the websites who use Unix.
>Percentages of websites using various subcategories of Unix
>Unknown 45.5%

way to cherry pick quotes to support your conclusion, fuck stick

http://www.w3cook.com/os/summary/
https://secure1.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.201601/apacheos.html

>unknown must mean it's bsd and other non-linux unix-like operating systems!
>>
>>52889344
Salty retard spotted
Can't even get his apples working while I'm enjoying my grapes
Pathetic.
>>
>>52889256
better screencap your post then, shit will be worth at least 128k internets when our prophecy fulfills
>>
>>52884939
The question is: what should the unique selling point of a Linux PC be?

Quality: Mac is already marketed as high-quality
Price: Windows is already on every super-cheap laptop. Alternatively Chrome OS.
Niche: Gaming is for Windows, Office/Corporate is for Windows, Creativity is for Mac (for some reason), the Linux niche is "nerds" but this will forever only suffice for 2% market share at most, like now.
>>
>>52887179

A $50 Lexicon Alpha is enough of an audio interface for serious music production. A license for FL Studio is, what, $100 for the entry level joint? Sonar Professional runs $200. Both have enough plugins that a person could realistically record with "professional" results.
>>
>>52889146
>server space
>only lists web servers
>forgets every other type of server

Lots of companies have their internet facing servers running Linux, but everything else in the organization runs on Windows.
>>
>>52889256
It seems plausible, given that Vulkan succeeds.
>>
>>52885896

Holy shit, you made a long list of desktop environment doo-dads and ricing crud. Nowhere on there do I see an app that a person can use to earn an actual paycheck.

If you're a fellow GNUtard, please apply yourself. Delete list and start over.
If you're a clever shill...then well played, good sir.
>>
>>52889593
Eh im just new to Linux and have been attempting to figure shit out for two weeks and its going very slow. Given, i installed Debian 8.3 as my first distro and i know many have warned against Debian being your first but I figure I rather try out a difficult one first to see what sort of horrible problems one could and will encounter while using linux. And it generally entails drivers improperly working or not at all, hardware not being detected by the OS, and I dont know how it is for the rest of the linux distros out there but debians wikis are atrocious. It's just a cluster fuck of poorly written and organized information, with links to download pages that dont explain to you how to download shit or are totally out of date. Like I said previously, it's almost as if they dont give a fuck about completely new users and attempting to explain it step by step for someone who has just started out. Also some commands are different or lacking entirely? I lack the ifconfig command for example on my debian os but on the mint it works? I dont know why and again I am incapable of finding any answers on either oss knowledgebase. Then you got pretentious elitist condescending loonix bastards like yourself not helping out whatsoever, and then on the flipside everyone complains about how to get more people converted over to Linux. Poor publicity /g/. And yeah I can just go straight to mint, fedora or Ubuntu but that's silly if someone actually wants to learn how to not be completely reliant on the gui 24/7
>>
>>52887361
>Linux and GNU have a stable API, stable ABI means stagnation, and besides, Windows doesn't have stable API/ABI either.
You got it backwards.
On Winblow 10 you could run many apps from Win98 - 17 years of diffrence! (ofc excluding some that exploit some custom shit)
On linux? Try running 17 old binexec now. even compiling from source might not work for some more sophisticated software...
>>
>>52884478
Microsoft did that and see how well it turned out for them, i'm not being sarcastic.
>>
>>52891577
Windows is being held back/bloated by supporting 20 year old software.
>>
>>52884939
Only enhusiast do witch their system, other ppl use computers for entertainment or communication or their work, they don't tinkr with them.
Only way to make Linux DeskTop year is to ship computers MANY computers with reliabale linux.

Deep in my heart i hope that microsoft will go full subscription finall with their OS, this would require ppl to pay for the system on regular basis, so thre woudl be incentive to pursue other options, currently there's no.
>>
>>52888579
k m8

>>52890988
>Nowhere on there do I see an app that a person can use to earn an actual paycheck.
See >>52885896
>Here is a short list of a longer one I am composing
>a short list of a longer one
>a short list
>of a longer one
Who's the shill m8
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 400x609) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 400x609
One thing linux definitely needs is a capable daw. If ableton, pro tools, logic or cubase would develop a linux compatible daw I would have no reason to use osx/windows
>>
>>52891159
One thing about making the switch to linux is doing research to make sure your hardware is going to be supported.
>>
>>52893257
This is part of the problem. You shouldn't have to.
>>
>>52893257
It's not that bad. Especially that you can esily download image na dburn CD/DVD/Flash Drive and run live version without instllation and check stuff.
Windows has its quirks too, like every major windows edition disables a lot of "outdated" hardware like network cards, printers, scaners, things that are ESSENTIAL for doing bussines, and get away with this shit. Also with windows you don't have this comfort of liveCD checking, your device might work will work or will work ina different way cuz the new driver contains some weird bloatware (nods at HP)
>>
>>52893257
I did. They said it can work but with some non-free drivers. In fact it is now working, I am typing right now from my ThinkPad X120e running Debian 8.3, it just took me for fucking ever to get it to work how I wanted it. For whatever reason, the fucking clock doesn't work for whatever reason, always off. BIOS clock is correct but OS one isn't. Changed it in terminal with date set but it goes back to incorrect time.
>>
>>52893333
Dude if you're switching to a new os, even windows, you should be doing this. It would be different if you bought a machine with linux pre-installed bit you're not so it's an essential step.

It takes like 10min max to google that shit dude.
>>
>>52881786
vulkan and better GPU drivers would go a long way towards this

AMD unfucking their openGL performance would help

nvidia opening the source to their currently very good closed source driver
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.