[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what are some good alternatives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 10
File: github-logo.jpg (37 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
github-logo.jpg
37 KB, 600x400
Now that the dust has settled, what are some good alternatives to this piece of shit? My department generally uses this instead of our intitutional servers mostly because it has a GUI so retarded students don't have to use Gitbash.

Please limit discussion to platforms.

cf. old thread >>>52879966
>>
bitbucket, gitlab, or run your own.

or, you know, ignore the political or social agenda of the company you patronize. you don't give a fuck about what coca cola or general mills or any of the companies behind products you probably buy advocates for.

I use bitbucket for personal projects i want to keep project. i use github for projects that i want to make public at some point (or for ongoing public projects).

make decisions based on your needs, not based on your principles like a faggot SJW
>>
>>52881506
It's not about their politics, it's about their instability, like what happened to Google Code. GitHub hasn't existed for as long as our project needs to last and changing platforms 5-10 years from now is a hassle.

I was thinking about building our own and building a GUI for tech illiterates, but this is an academic project so easy public accesibility is important. I'll check out BitBucket.

>you don't give a fuck about what coca cola or general mills or any of the companies behind products you probably buy advocates for.
Because they're not full of retarded racists.
>>
>>52881624
git remote set-url <name> <new repo>

It's literally one line of code to switch to a new Git repository.
>>
>>52881656
I don't think you understand the millenial generation with their Windows and MacOS.

They get scared to death of any CLI. We have new undergrads coming in every year who need to contribute to the project. So a GUI would be nice. I'm was planning on building an easy one, but something like Bitbucket will save that effort.

Thanks for the recs.
>>
>>52881624
>It's not about their politics, it's about their instability

This is a lie.
>>
>>52881705
So what? bitbucket offers importing from github in their website
>>
>>52881624
this is so obviously untrue it's insulting to our intelligence.

google code was a side project that wasn't core to google's success in any way. github relies on providing the service you're talking about.

that means that the only thing you could be worrying about is whether github will be around in a certain number of years, and it's not clear why you have any questions about that, but asking about other websites that are smaller than github tells us that you're not REALLY concerned about longevity. if you were, you'd know to roll your own git server, or failing that go with the biggest service available. that's github.

don't be a fucking disingenuous faggot.
>>
>>52881729
I'm rubber you're glue.
>>
>>52881479
There is currently no alternative. github is too widely used and too well understood. Github handles the 99% case well so it will be very hard to come up with something better. At the very least the new thing would have to have a similar gui and allow login via github.

There is nothing on the horizon.
>>
>>52881479
>because it has a GUI so retarded students don't have to use Gitbash.
Git is a command line program
If your student can't use a simple command line program, they probably shouldn't be studying CS or whatever shitty course your department is offering.
>>
>>52881777
nice shill Le-a
>>
I never found how to use the git GUI and find it too difficult to use.
>>
>>52881795
Every time someone links a project on bitbucket I get annoyed because I can't remember how to get to the source tree.
>>
>>52881777
You won't gather many followers here, sanchez.
try damage controlling in twitter
>>
>>52881762
Why does everyone keep trying to push their personal worldview to tell me what I mean? I mean what I say nothing more nothing less. Stop being childish.

What I'm saying is I obviously want longevity and my own sever is the best way to achieve that.

AND I want public exposure (or at least something most other collaborative groups are used to accessing), which is to say I'm trying to gauge what other more public platforms are availalbe which will be big in five years. Hence the reason for this thread. For example >>52881745 is the kind of post I'm looking for. I did not know you could do that and it's valuable information to me.

And I explicitly stated GitHub's alienation a billion white males and females alike and the majority of programmers is obviously bad for their long term stability which is something I read on BusinessInsider not 4chan. That's not the topic of this thread. There are no undertones I said that was my reason for switching, now I want to know what to switch to. Keep your shit in the /pol/ thread.
>>
neetco.de is good for side projects, can't be taken down. no https though which doesn't rly matter desu senpai
>>
>>52881479
gitlab or just simply git
>>
>>52881787
We're an engineering department not CS, more specifically we're an optimisation/CFD groupt.

Yeah not 5 years ago you would not find a graduate that wasn't using Linux as their primary OS. Today the undergrads bitch when they need to write a fucking fizzbuzz program in Python. They want simple stupid GUIs, Wolfram Alpha is about the closest they want to programming.

I can either tell them all to fuck off and work at shittier research groups, or I can accomodate them. It's sad, but this is the new generation we have to work with and we're the ones who need to adapt or get left behind.
>>
>>52881848
There's no sign that anything will be bigger than Github in 5 years. I don't know how you thought that there could possibly be any other answer than that.

Just run your own git server, make a corresponding github repository, then make your employees add both remotes under the same name so they push to both.

if github dies (which it won't and you're a fucking retard for even asking this question) then you still have your own git server.

god damn it, it terrifies me that someone like you is making decisions at a company worth more than a lemon stand. you should hand this task off to someone who knows literally *anything* about version control systems.
>>
Why not use bitbucket?
>>
>>52881479
gitlab, gogs
gitlab.com, notabug.org for hosted versions
>>
>>52881935
>god damn it, it terrifies me that someone like you is making decisions at a company worth more than a lemon stand. you should hand this task off to someone who knows literally *anything* about version control systems.
I would ask our CS department help deal with this shit, but they're too busy eating paste and failing to get any meaningful research grants in the last 5 years since they dumbed their shit down to a mathphobic IT course that could never funnel quality replacements for outgoing RAs.
>>
>>52881745
gitlab also imports github, bitbucket, and a bunch more
>>
>>52881979
>>52881996
I'm going to check out gitlab, thank you Anons.
>>
>>52881980
it's good that you're being harsh; let it settle in that the people who you claim eat paste are probably more suitable to this task than you seem to be.

people who decide that being competent in one field makes them wise experts in everything they touch are literally the worst faggots in the world, documented since Socrates.
>>
>>52882062
If it's not my field it's not my field, however, even though they probably all know more about CS and IT than me they can still be objectively shit. I used to have friends in our CS department and they're actually the ones that informed me how bad it's gotten, today there's no hope to try and consult them on anything, most people on /g/ know better. If you walked through their graduate offices with computers all unironically running Windows 8 half of them wouldn't even know what git is.
>>
>>52882197
I'm hearing a lot of anecdotes about how they're objectively shit, but based on this thread you are absolutely fucking clueless about this yourself. Let them do this thing they're supposed to know, that you're objectively a fucking neophyte about, and stop being a fucking faggot.
>>
Gentoo is switching its repositories to github soon :x
>>
>>52882216
Are you a CS or something? Why are you so mad that I'm critiquing a department which has nothing to do with you either way?

I'll email them, but considering they're scrambling to fix our crashed university server (again) I don't have much hope for getting a reply.
>>
>>52882261
Git, not github
>>
>>52882216
Not that guy, but somebody sure seems to take talk about some CS department going to shit pretty personally. Does the description fit your department or something?

Seriously, if you've kept your ears open over the last few years this sort of dumbing down of CS into code monkey school (rather than being an applied maths school like it's supposed to be) to increase enrollment is by no means uncommon. With the push for more and more people into CS by politicians that don't even know what CS actually contains that has become exceedingly common specially in state funded schools which lack a high quality applicant pool to begin with.

The guy is actually right in his concerns about GitHub's future in the long term when they've got such a heavy focus on recruitment of PoC that they're having problems even interviewing over 80% of the tech worker pool because of their ethnicity. Try to remember that the tech sector is a high worker turnaround industry and when you're having race based problems with over 80% of the available workforce that's not good news in the long run.
>>
As an indivudual, I'm apalled at the SJewing that seems to be going on there.

As an employee in a software company, I'm not doing a bloody thing. The pricing hasn't changed, the uptime hasn't changed, the interface hasn't changed. Come back when something actually relevant has changed.
>>
>>52882406
>rather than being an applied maths school like it's supposed to be
Amen to that Anon.

Not that IT and codemonkeying is bad. It just shouldn't come at the cost of what a real CS programme is supposed to have, if you can't fit both it should stay seperate as an IT degree. Generally CS grads who went through more traditional programmes are far better at IT/codemonkey than type of lazy person who squeezed through one of those watered down programmes anyway. The former group actually care about their discipline and computers, the latter just view it as an easy paycheck.
>>
>>52882468
I'd consider the people responsible for that pricing, uptime and interface leaving in droves somewhat relevant.

Then again, if you have problems caused by their new workforce that excludes about 80% of the actual tech workforce than it's your figurative funeral.
>>
>>52881506
bitbucket is pretty terrible IMO. I've subscribed to millions of feature requests JIRA tickets to get something resemblant of a Github feature and it takes them forever. It took them until 2016 to get any sort of CI integration even though Atlassian maintains their own.

You guys should really just use Github, even if you're too edgy to use it. It works. well.
>>
>>52882568
There's been push hooks for years now. Are you talking about Jenkins/stash type integration?
>>
>>52881624
it's fucking git, if github fails for whatever reason you push your repo to some other platform. use https://github.com/joeyh/github-backup to backup other shit, like issues, milestones, etc...
>>
whats wrong with github
>>
>>52883308
Again that's not my point. It's annoying when you're looking for a repo referenced in a paper and the it's either been moved or just gone. You ideally want to host it somewhere that will (a) last and (b) is popular enough that most people are used to using it.
>>
>>52881931
Are you talking about that Github GUI you can download for Windows and OS X? There is plenty of alternatives out there http://www.git-scm.com/downloads/guis
>>
>>52881705
>They get scared to death of any CLI.

Not fit to code.

I've had those faggots as well on my uni class. They're just told to man up and when they're forced to do so, they learn.

Use shame as a tool liberally for these situations.
>>
File: favicon.ico.png (10 KB, 143x152) Image search: [Google]
favicon.ico.png
10 KB, 143x152
>>52881479
Gogs is the only answer.

https://gogs.io/
>>
I use it as a front for my resume, works fine.

I usually keep everything updated on my personal gitolite setup too. Only complaint about gitolite is the permissions can be a bit annoying to setup.
>>
>>52881848
It literally has no effect on me; unless the service changes I don't care, no one will really care.
>>
>>52883509
>unless the service changes
That is one problem, the service isn't really changing. It was just recently where a bunch of devs of several open source projects posted a letter about needing certain features on github. Github still has not responded to it, but others have like Gitlab (which already implement some of the features they wanted).
>>
>>52881705
How about teaching them instead? Did it ever occur to you that they might have some interest in eventually becoming proficient with command-line tools?
>>
>>52883732
Don't do that, I don't need more competition
>>
>>52881506
notabug.org
>>
File: nigg.png (93 KB, 1070x305) Image search: [Google]
nigg.png
93 KB, 1070x305
Why are you all recommending github v2, aka gitlab ?
>>
>>52883899
>gender identity
this is not a nice meme
>>
>>52883899
Becaus Gogs is clearly superior.
>>
File: >master race.png (107 KB, 934x511) Image search: [Google]
>master race.png
107 KB, 934x511
>>52883949
>Gogs
Try again, SJW shill.
>>
>>52883963
Fucking hell, everyone is doing this CoC bullshit. What is happening?
>>
>>52883963
So is the only choice pagure?
>>
>>52884003
>everyone is doing this CoC bullshit

Everyone doing web dev, so everything in ruby or javascript will have one.
Things even slightly related to webdev, as long as it's somewhat used, will have a CoC
>>
but you can selfhost your own gogs/gitlab

what does their CoC matter?
>>
>>52884030
https://pagure.io/pagure
>>
>>52883963
>self hosted
>CoC
come again?
>>
>>52884045
>>52884082

The CoC basically dictates who can contribute to the project.
If you don't follow the CoC, even in unrelated projects, you may be banned from contributing(see opal), leaving only SJW, nodev fags be able to contribute nothing but typo fixes, which means the death of the project.

You don't want to use un-maintained software, right ?
>>
>>52883899
>>52883963
Please don't forget to check your privilege.
>>
>>52884003
meritocracy is having a rough patch. people are getting comfy, making them soft, so they start empathizing for this "but he really tried!" shit.

don't worry. it won't belong until it all comes raining down. the moment when the software produced can't compete with the proprietary products - which the meritocracy helped us getting, and staying, ahead of in many cases - it will all be over.

at that point in time, software engineering will once again turn back into the unpopular, uncool subject it was meant to be and all the trannies and hipsters will find a new bandwagon to jump on. i can't fucking wait.
>>
Why aren't your project using the CoM yet?

http://code-of-merit.org/
>>
Alternatives can be found listed here:

https://tidy.cc/rTxJmszg

You're welcome.
>>
Will you please shut the fuck up and stop spamming this shit?

We really don't care that you got banned from a project for harassing people. Perhaps you shouldn't have been a jerk to people.

No one is stupid enough to believe that when asked to respect people around them all the devs are going to disappear. The world will keep spinning without you and your emotional outbursts.
>>
>>52884158
>C Plus Equality (C+=), GamerGateOP, ToleranUX
Meme projects made with sole purpose of provoking the SJWs.
>WebM for Retards
Literally not a clever name for a project. Afaik it's still hosted on Github, but with a slightly less retarded name.

Stop whining.
>>
>>52884211
Hello tumblr.
>>
>>52881479
teknik.io
>>
>>52884211
This is literally my first thread on /g/ in years (I mostly post in /dpt/ and /flt/).

What's your problen asshole? Why is your first instinct to be confrontational? We talked about alterntatives in the previous thread so I thought I'd make a new thread since the other one was archived. It's on topic and if you don't like it you can hide it.

I'm also running my project that I'm asking where to host so I can't get banned from it.

>The world will keep spinning
This is the internet newfag. I bet you think facebook has always been around. Site rise and fall, so will this eventually for various reason.
>>
Fucking bitbucket doesn't show the total number of commits made to a repository...
Every time I wanna check my epeen I am forced to use cli git myself
>>
>>52884211
Hang yourself
>>
>>52881624
>I was thinking about building our own and building a GUI for tech illiterates
I hate you and people like you

but anyway someone that knows how to work properly has created Gitlab which is basically private github for paranoids / people like you

- sent from a senior dev of a huge company with more than 1000 private repos on Github
>>
>>52881479
Bro I work with svn, be fucking glad you at least have the chance to use got. We could both still be using Hg so appreciate your position
>>
>>52884832
>github = git
>>
>>52884832
>still
I'm confused, what's the sentiment here? Hg is wonderful
>>
>>52884799
>private repos on Github
>private
You're fucking cancer and the biggest retard ITT.
>>
>>52884254
>>52884612
>>52884763
I think you will find
>>>/pol/
more to your liking.

I always considered banning people more civil than strawmanning and flaming, but to each their own, I guess.

You can't get banned from an open-source project, you dolt. You have all the code. If people don't want to work with you because you're insufferable, that's their decision. If you host doesn't want to work with you because you're insufferable, that's their decision. You don't suddenly lose access to the code. When you alienate people, you do lose people who are willing to accept your contributions however. It's completely possible for you to work alone on the code if you're so asspained that you can't bully trannies because you think it's a god-given right.

Essentially, no one cares what you think is right or wrong, and they never did. If you are working with a group though, you will follow their norms, or you will not be working with them for very long. It doesn't matter what host you switch to, this will be true. Since you sound like an emotionally unstable nutter, I recommend keeping the entire project on your home server so the scary SJW feminists don't steal your work.
>>
>>52884916
calm your tits paranoid mama

anyway all the keys / logins are obviously stored as env variables in the deployment server so why bother being a pussy and not open source suff internally on an enterprise that has more than 4000 devs?

it should be late for you, go dig for worms in your basement, it's almost time for the supper
>>
>>52884967
You do understand how licensing works, right? Even if you have access to the code, if it's not released under a license that allows you to distribute modified versions you're effectively banned from working on the project.
>>
>>52884967
>I always considered banning people more civil than strawmanning
>continues with a strawman
I like this post
>>
>>52884967
>banning people actually working on the project when they complain because some sjw "programmer" is running through submitting pull requests to change all the "him"s and "her"s to be gender neutral, as if anyone gives a shit about the gender used in the comments
>>
>>52885002
Well if that's what you're worried about, then license your project differently, because the license is the problem, not the CoC.

Or just don't work on projects with bad licenses. Changing your hosting service isn't going to solve that problem.
>>
>>52883398
>repo referenced in a paper
Some journals can host the code as supplementary material and that's the right way to do it.
>>
>>52885035
What if you're not the person who started the project?

>just don't work on a project you helped create
>because some whiny asshole got you banned
This is how you kill open source projects.
>>
Set up your own repo and use GitKraken. There you go.
>>
>>52885071
>What if you're not the person who started the project?

See:
>>52885035
>Or just don't work on projects with bad licenses.
>>
>>52884211
Oh yes, there comes the "but you just want to freely harass people" pretense that the political correctness movement uses to silence all of it's critics and people who just happen to have opinions they don't agree to.

Mind you, I used to think like you, then I saw how the PC movement has actually been using the "muh harassment" excuse to get people who disagree with them in a perfectly civil manner kicked from OSS projects and even fired from their jobs. Brendan Eich was not the first one and obviously won't be the last one.

If you could use those CoC's responsibly I wouldn't have a problem with them, but you instead chose to use them as weapons against people you don't like or just happen disagree with.
>>
File: b8 for reddit shitposting.png (75 KB, 791x524) Image search: [Google]
b8 for reddit shitposting.png
75 KB, 791x524
>>52884967
You do realize that YOUR the one who's going to be banned for shitposting and repeatedly breaking GR#3 right?

I warned you to keep your political bullshit on reddit or /pol/. I explicitly said keep the discussion on platforms only in the OP. Your the same bland of shit as the stromweenies you hate, only worse because your politics are anti-4chancore.

Now get out of my thread and enjoy your last few shitposts while you wait for the mods to see the report logs on your posts.
>>
>>52885082
>GitKraken
No matter how good it is, people, at least around these parts, are gonna shit on it for running on Electron.
>>
>>52885125
See
>>52885034
>>
>>52885149
I am laughing so hard right now.

You're so mad.

I just can't...
>>
>>52885044
>Some
Keyword, but yes that is the correct way to do it, unfortunately that usually puts it behind a paywall.
>>
>>52885126
>I used to think like you
No, that never happened.

You wouldn't have an issue with CoCs if you didn't intend to violate them. A weapon can't be used on you if you aren't within the scope of the weapon's use.

>If you could use those CoC's responsibly I wouldn't have a problem with them
I don't really care if you have a problem with them. I don't have any problems, you do.
>>
>>52885153

Who the fuck cares? it has all you need and works just fine
>>
>>52885233
Not that guy. I live in a state with lax gun laws. I'm very pro 2A. Guess what? I don't own any guns.

Disliking a ToS or EULA or whatever does not mean you intend to violate it. Take your false assumptions and get the fuck out.
>>
>>52885233
So wait, where was the part where Brendan Eich went around calling people fags and telling them they would burn in hell? Because I must have missed that part.
>>
>>52884967
>if you're so asspained that you can't bully trannies because you think it's a god-given right.
That's not the problem, no. That's not the problem at all.

I personally don't give a fuck what you or any of the contributors and participants of my projects are. It doesn't matter if you're a straight dude or lesbian gal or a polyamorous otherkin hermaphrodite, because that's irrelevant, and as such I'm not going to act negatively toward you unless you're doing something that directly harms the project or conflicts with the project's goal, e.g. vandalism.

The problem is that CoCs like the ones we've been seeing adopted lately is that they give otherwise unrelated external parties governing power over the projects that adopted them. This is extremely dangerous because it's rife for abuse and potentially extremely disruptive. Once a CoC is in place, anyone who dislikes the project - not just SJWs - can then come in, make a big stink, and send years of work down the drain.
>>
>>52883452
>this
fuckin fast as hell too.
>>
>>52885290
Okay, since you don't seem to understand.

There exist only one of three reasons you would be against a ban.

1. You intend to do what is banned. That is, the ban affects you personally.

2. Idealism.

3. You have reason to believe the ban will cause negative effects unrelated to the original intent of the ban.

For obvious reasons, 1 and 2 should be discarded. Your personal ideals do not matter much in the scope of a project.

For 3, you need to bring some evidence that this is the case if you intend to convince anyone, otherwise it is an instance of 2.
>>
>>52885233
Except the people who are actually breaking the CoCs by spouting anti-white male (and non-lgbt female) hatred aren't being fired. It's just a pretense to be anti-white.

The poeple propogating this shit are political activists who don't care about programming (and literally have job titles like "diversity consultant"), but will actively try to bait you by doing diliberately absurdly dysfunctional/anti-"establishtment" things and then making it their life's mission to ruin you if you try to reason with them.
>>
>>52885375
If this kind of CoC were implemented for the Linux kernel Linus would have been banned from development long ago, and Linux would be dead.

And I've already provided a perfect example. Brendan Eich was booted from Mozilla because of his beliefs, without ever expressing them publicly, because SJWs couldn't handle people with different views.
>>
>>52885233
I told you that your "The only people who oppose CoC's are those who intend to break them"-attitude is just an excuse and how do you respond? By accusing me of being against CoC's because I want to break them.

Mind you, I've never done anything these CoC's forbid and I don't plan to, but I've already explained to you how they're used as weapons on anyone they don't like or disagree with no matter how civil this disagreement is. It's not like I can stop you from living in your la-la land, but there are plenty of people like me who used to think like you, but then realized how morally rotten our ideology actually is.
>>
>>52885437
Also this
>>52885418
>>
>>52885375
Hello Mr. Hayden.

>If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear
>>
>>52885418
The only person being a political activist here is you.

The argument that you're making is a political one. You are the one bringing politics into things.

>>52885438
Yes, so it essentially boils down to an ethical argument for you. That is, idealism. I'm sorry, but absent some actual compelling evidence, I'm not going to trust your judgment on this one.

I don't really care about freedom of speech. I don't care about equality for white people, males, or whatever the fuck it is you're on about. Why should I care about arguments based on those things?

It's a shame that so many of you young people are drinking the /pol/ kool-aid these days.
>>
>>52885498
>I don't really care about freedom of speech
Then what in the fuck are you doing here?
>>
>>52885375
No, you're the one who doesn't get it.

Basically the problem is when things go (and have gone) as follows:
>Project where bad behavior happens rarely and is not tolerated is approached by people belonging to the political correctness movement wanting to establish one of those CoC's
>Despite the project already not allowing the kind of behavior the CoC bans and said behavior ether being rare or not happening at all
>CoC rammed trough on the pretense that the only people against it just want to do things that are banned in it when said things are already banned
>Once the CoC is in place and PC people have found positions in the project it gets used to oust actual code contributors who express opinions the PC people disagree with elsewhere

Simply put: You don't need a CoC to root out the kind of behavior CoC's are officially supposed to root out. Open source projects have been rooting out that kind of behavior for years without the need for CoC's.
>>
>>52885517
Whatever I want. It's not really your business.

Also, freedom of speech does not apply here. This is not a public space, retard.
>>
>>52883398
you obviously never used github and know nothing about it.

Anyway just live with your paranoia ;) life is good on outside the basement
>>
>>52885498
>You are the one bringing politics into things.
Dude, you literally started this comment chain.
>>
>>52885545
What? Your post doesn't follow from that post at all?
>>
>>52884003
>owners of websites don't want the users to be harassed
>create a meaningless document that at least gives something to refer to when punishing genuine harassers
>this is a problem for some reason

>>52884096
this has literally nothing to do with meritocracy; nowhere is the movement against meritocracy mentioned, in any CoC that I'm aware of - if it does, then it's a bad CoC that isn't accomplishing its goals.

CoCs are there to stop people from acting in an meritocratic way, that is by harassing people etc. solely for their physical characteristics. CoCs aren't that much different to the Hacker Manifesto; it's just being updated to work in a community setting.

>>52885126
>If you could use those CoC's responsibly I wouldn't have a problem with them

This is the problem, not the CoC itself. CoCs being enforced is often the cause of problems, and it's based around the idea that anyone can complain about harassment.

Are we going to throw out the idea of trials for rape because there are false accusations? How about laws for rape, because there are false accusations? How about the law itself because some people abuse it?

>>52885418
>anti-white
I wish this meme would go, or at least stay on /pol/. There is no "anti-white" movement in any significant project, open source or not. I bet you're also the kind who thinks that Cultural Marxism is what "PC" springs from, and that it has anything to do with actual Marxism.
>>
>>52885541
>freedom of speech does not apply here
As a law, no. But as a rule of this community, yes.

>It's not really your business
Yeah, because we have rights. Which you don't seem to care about.
>>
>>52885546
I didn't start the thread or post pictures of CoCs. I didn't spam /g/ with similar threads whining about the same shit ever since I got banned from some dumb little project.
>>
>>52885498
>I don't care about equality for white people, males, or whatever the fuck it is you're on about. Why should I care about arguments based on those things?
Then why did you start a shitpost chain about it asshole?
>>
>>52885498
>I don't really care about freedom of speech
Well that's pretty typical of you lot
>I don't care about equality for white people, males, or whatever the fuck it is you're on about
Not particularly surprised that you're against equal rights as it seems like it's the new "hip" think kind of like being anti nuclear weapons used to be
>Why should I care about arguments based on those things?
Why should I care about people like you being butthurt over people being allowed to have differing opinions or that somebody would dare to try to uphold equal treatment of all regardless of ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation?
>>
>>52885528
But wouldn't you agree that having the instructions for reporting harassment being written down somewhere would be helpful? How about a document that shows where one should complain to, and what constitutes harassment? How about a document that tells of the consequences of such harassment, so that there are no project administrators who act unfairly to accused persons? How about, because this document details the conduct expected in the project, it be called a "code of conduct"?

What if the person who you think you should report it to is friends with the person who is harassing you? What if you don't know who to report it to?

CoCs clean up a lot of issues.
>>
>>52885565
>There is no "anti-white" movement in any significant project,

Here, evidence. Unlike anything you've offered:
>>52879966
>>
>>52885570
>Yeah, because we have rights. Which you don't seem to care about.

That's right, I think that's what I said in the last post. So you're argument is completely meaningless to me, unless you can tell me why I should care.

>>52885600
Because THOSE THINGS ARE NOT TECHNOLOGY.

KINDLY FUCK OFF.
>>
>>52885573
You DID start it and you're the one propogating it too.
>>
>>52885309
also DongleGate (feminist at PyCon eavesdrops on a man saying "forking a repo", thinks it's a sexual reference, starts harassment campaign against him and gets him fired)
also PronounGate (a guy refused to merge purely non-code commit changing 'he' to 'they' in comments, and had another harassment campagin started against him - it later contributed to the split in node.js/io.js)

>>52885335
exactly
see OpalGate - bunch of feminists jump into a project and start shit because one of the main devs said something disrespectful about transsexuals on his Twitter - so, completely unrelated to the project itself)
in a similar vein, Django CoC making it okay to ban a man from participation in a project or, really, ANYWHERE - conferences, etc - for behaviour anywhere else, even in non-project spaces
Basically, if you say something feminists don't like AND you depend on Django, you might find yourself banned from most professional communication.
I recall they planned black lists for employment banning, but don't know how far they got with it.

>>52885418
yep, talking shit about straight white men is totally fine (see that Danilo moron @GH) - and, increasingly, straight white women as well.

>>52885437
Actually Shanley (Kane) tried to start shit with Linux community, but went nowhere, because, unlike Mozilla, Linux community is p. based.

>>52885438
Aaaand of course stuff that I list here would mean that I'm, I quoute, "make this space hostile to women".(and, implied, deserve to be fired/banned/doxxed/whatever)
>>
>>52885627
What I'm saying is that you're a hypocrite. You tell me it's none of my business what you're doing here, which is you exercising your rights to privacy, free speech, etc., meanwhile you say you don't care about free speech because you enjoy banning people who disagree with you.
>>
>>52885641
Nice blameshifting.

Can you just go talk about this stuff on /pol/ and not here? I want to get back to my Windows and smartphone threads.
>>
>>52885565
>Are we going to throw out the idea of trials for rape because there are false accusations? How about laws for rape, because there are false accusations? How about the law itself because some people abuse it?
The reality is that you can enforce exactly the same kind of rules as CoC's are intended to enforce WITHOUT actually needing a CoC to refer to. I know this because open source projects and the communities have already been doing this for years before the PC crowd decided to cram it's foot in between the door with these things.

>>52885600
>Then why did you start a shitpost chain about it asshole?
Probably to troll people
>>
>>52885656
>you're a hypocrite
can't be a feminist without hypocrisy these days

>>52885674
>I want to get back to my Windows and smartphone threads.
Kindly shut your bitch mouth and do so.
>>
>>52885627
>Progamming is not consumer technology so it's not technology :(

Get mad in someone else's thread. You are breaking GR3 and you have only yourself to blame for getting worked up in your own hatred.
>>
Why do people hate Github again?
>>
>>52885656
It's not hypocritical or an exercise of right to say "it's none of your business."

I don't owe anything to you, even if we completely set aside the issue of rights. Therefore, I don't have to tell you anything. That includes what I'm doing at any point in time.

That isn't a right to privacy that I'm invoking. It's simply pointing out the fact of the matter.

>>52885676
>opinions I don't like must be trolling
>free speech is great except for opinions I don't like

>>52885705
>>52885721

I should have expected irony to completely be lost on libtards from /pol/
>>
File: 1398309993427.jpg (23 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
1398309993427.jpg
23 KB, 527x409
>>52881479
>because it has a GUI so retarded students don't have to use Gitbash.
>>52881777

I legit can't tell if you're both retarded or baiting.

Github and Git are different things.

Git is version control software.
Github is an independent website where git repositories are hosted.

That's literally the only connection they have.

To think that Git is dead because Github is circling the drain is like thinking that Anime is dead because 4chan goes down.

You can use Git, or any other version control software like Mercurial, and specify a remote repository hosted somewhere other than Github. Gitlab or Bitbucket are two of the current alternatives to Github.

If you and your "retarded students" are too stupid to use a command prompt that requires you to memorize 10 commands, there are still a boatload of GUIs that have nothing to do with Github. Like all of these: https://git-scm.com/downloads/guis

So good job if you were baiting, you got me to respond seriously.
>>
>>52885618
Cleaning out the kind of bad behavior that CoC's are officially intended to be used against has been done before. Ether without real written down rules or more often with a set of written down rules that just don't happen to be called a CoC.

The problem with CoC's is that they're pushed by people who intend to use them no matter if there's any real behavior that would warrant their use as they don't have any skills actually useful to the project. We're talking about people trying to get involved in projects not by actually contributing to the actual project, but to work as some kind of common rule enforcers.

When you already have a set of rules for how your contributors are to behave and successfully enforce them, you don't need an outside party to come in with a new set of rules and enforce them for you.
>>
>>52885565
>bet you're also the kind who thinks that Cultural Marxism is what "PC" springs from, and that it has anything to do with actual Marxism.
You do realize that SJWs themselves where the ones who refered to themselves as "social maxists" right? It stems from idealogy taught in low quality liberat arts degrees. Everyone knows it's wrong. It's has a new connotative meaning now.
>>
>>52885745
They openly hate on white men (and, less openly, on Asians).
They now start hating on white women too.
We want them to crash and burn.
See >>52879966
Also lurk in archive, there's been like half a dozen threads at least in the last few days.
>>
i don't really give a shit about these kinda rules
if discussions stay focused on technical topics i don't really care.
projects where non-constructive behaviour of one side is fueled but the other side is surpressed can go fuck themselves.
also, i'd like to mention that most of the cocs nowadays don't support this stuff, they're literally about just having rules to point at when people start discussing non-technical bullshit in spaces that are meant for technical discussions.
and that's fine, atleast with me.
>>
>>52885749
>I don't owe anything to you
And a guy actually contributing to a project doesn't owe anything to some random hipster "programmer" who is contributing nothing, and that includes civil behavior. Now fuck off.
>>
>>52885749
>Show up here openly saying that you're against freedom of speech and equal treatment of people regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation
>Not obviously trolling
Yes, and I think we should finish what Hitler started and gas all the kikes...
>>
>>52885828
I think that means you lose.

>>52885820
Not being able to engage in a constructive dialogue is why you were banned btw
>>
>>52885809
I see. Can't say I'm surprised. Any "hip" tech company nowadays is bound to be full on SJW at this point. I've been hosting my stuff on GitLab anyway, since their model seemed less retarded.
>>
>>52885573
>I didn't start the thread
I did, and I wanted to discuss alternative platforms to GitHub. I mentioned the other thread because some would obviously want to bring up the political elements, which is why I explicitly said to keep off topic politics in >>>/pol/, you're the one who insists on brining it up and you made goddamn sure to keep propogating it with all your all of text posts.
>or post pictures of CoCs.
Neither did I. You're the one who baited other people into doing that.
>I didn't spam /g/ with similar threads
Like I said this is my first thread posted on /g/ in years. You can ask the mods to check my IP logs if you want.
>I got banned from some dumb little project.
Again, I didn't.
>>
File: Screenshot_37.jpg (42 KB, 749x357) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_37.jpg
42 KB, 749x357
>>52885565
>I wish this meme would go, or at least stay on /pol/. There is no "anti-white" movement in any significant project, open source or not. I bet you're also the kind who thinks that Cultural Marxism is what "PC" springs from, and that it has anything to do with actual Marxism.

Pic related

Another member of Github's social-impact team, technical director Danilo Campos, has been known to tweet similarly strong views about diversity. Campos joined in August with a background as an iOS developer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/github-the-full-inside-story-2016-2
>>
>>52885854
I wasn't banned from anything. I've seen it happen to others, and it's bullshit.
>>
>>52885854
>I think that means you lose.
How? How is pointing out that a person saying something so retarded and backwards that they have to be trolling "losing" anything?
>>
>>52885901
Sure thing, bud

>>52885903
>being so new you don't know godwin
>>
>>52885627
>Because THOSE THINGS ARE NOT TECHNOLOGY.
>KINDLY FUCK OFF.
See>>52885600
Then why did you start a shitpost chain about it asshole?
>>
Can CoC get me banned from a project if I don't respond to SJWs posts and just ignore them?
>>
>>52885929
No
>>
>>52885797
"Social Marxism" isn't a thing. The people calling themselves that have very little knowledge about Marxism itself.

People hear little, misrepresented factoids and quotes about Marx and Engels, then they call themselves Marxists.

It's bullshit and everyone knows it. Associating actual Marxism with "PC" and "equality" (two things Marx and Engels never talked about, mentioned or even alluded to) is pseudopolitics.

Rightwingers looked for someone to blame for a perceived lack in traditional moral values, invented the "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory to look as though there has been a group of people who are pulling the strings to "bring down the white man".

It's just as ridiculous as the black power arguments, except this time people who should be informed because they have access to the Internet actually believe them. It's a real shame.
>>
>>52885929
As long as you don't say anything the SJWs don't like and tiptoe around their sensitive feelings you should be fine.
>>
>>52885921
Godwin's law? As in the law about how every usenet discussion is going to bring up the nazi's if it goes on for long enough?

Being against freedom of speech and equal rights for all in this day and age is retarded and backwards no matter if you label yourself a conservative, feminist or political correctness activist.
>>
>>52885956
I agree that the more tinfoil right wingers invented the conspiracy theory, but generally when right wingers and leftists alike use the term they are using the unfortunate modern connotation for neo-extreme left or whatever you want to call them. They're technically about as far from "liberal" and "left" as you can get too, but everyone knows what we mean by the connotation.
>>
>>52885929
Not really... If you have opinions they disagree with (like "gender or racial politics should not trump meritocracy" or anything remotely or anything against the idea of all people being 100% the same regardless or race, gender, sexual orientation or gender identity) you can get banned for publicly expressing this view. Even if you do it elsewhere and in a completely civil manner.
>>
File: 1365471904522.jpg (154 KB, 680x990) Image search: [Google]
1365471904522.jpg
154 KB, 680x990
>>52885875
>I did, and I wanted to discuss alternative platforms to GitHub. I mentioned the other thread because some would obviously want to bring up the political elements, which is why I explicitly said to keep off topic politics in >>>/pol/, you're the one who insists on brining it up and you made goddamn sure to keep propogating it with all your all of text posts.

It would be nice if we could focus on technology, making stuff and doing cool things. But you can't ignore politics, especially when a group is actively politicizing your field and trying to push agendas on you, while contributing nothing of value to that field.

Look at this shit:

https://github.com/letsencrypt/acme-spec/issues/1
https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/165
https://github.com/django/django/pull/2692
https://github.com/Alir3z4/django-base64field/issues/8
https://github.com/wooorm/alex/issues/62
https://github.com/bmuller/gender_detector/pull/14
https://github.com/NARKOZ/hacker-scripts/issues/14
https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues/3721

A flock of nu-male tumblr vultures combing through other people's code, looking for comments and variable names to be offended and triggered by.

Even the Code of Conduct for github, which is intended to be exported to other platforms, actively pushes this agenda

https://github.com/todogroup/opencodeofconduct/issues/84

>Our open source community prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. We will not act on complaints regarding:
>‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’

This is the future you are choosing every time you say "but I don't wanna talk about politics" because these faggots do want to talk about it, and they'll get you fired for disagreeing with them.
>>
>>52885775
m8 we all know the difference between git and github. We're talking about public hosting services which are common to use.
>>
>>52885674
>I want to get back to my Windows and smartphone threads.
Please don't spread your political anti-white shiposting there too.
>>
>>52885956
Allow me to interject for a moment.
What you're referring to as capitalism, is in fact, satanism/capitalism or as i have taken to calling it, satanism plus capitalism.
Capitalism is not a market system unto itself, but rather another essential component of a fully functioning satanist new world order made possible by the ritual sacrifice of justice, equality and freedom.
>>
>>52886120
Hey man, that's really funny. Did you find that on Tumblr or something?
>>
File: feelings.jpg (43 KB, 491x317) Image search: [Google]
feelings.jpg
43 KB, 491x317
>>52885956
Actually most of the "intellectual" foundation of Social Justice Movement comes from Herbert Marcuse, who most certainly was a Marxist

If you're actually interested here's some reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Marcuse

Point of interest:

>Liberating tolerance, then, would mean intolerance against movements from the Right and toleration of movements from the Left.[18]

>Surely, no government can be expected to foster its own subversion, but in a democracy such a right is vested in the people (i.e. in the majority of the people). This means that the ways should not be blocked on which a subversive majority could develop, and if they are blocked by organized repression and indoctrination, their reopening may require apparently undemocratic means. They would include the withdrawal of toleration of speech and assembly from groups and movements which promote aggressive policies, armament, chauvinism, discrimination on the grounds of race and religion, or which oppose the extension of public services, social security, medical care, etc.[18]
>>
>>52886375
What a neat dude.

Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>52885562
It's decentralised and you can push your repo somewhere else if it's a problem for you.. I've using github for the past 7+ years and never had a problem. You can backup issues/milestones/PRs/all the stuff if you're super paranoid that a multi millionaire business that hosts code for pretty much the whole world will close without letting you get your data
>>
Host your own shit. Don't depend on random companies doing things for free.
>>
>>52886445
Do you really think I haven't been using version control since before github even existed?

I'm looking for a long term static repo on a public github-like platform that will be around for decades since I don't have faith github nor will last that long. You're welcome to believe it will. I don't. Then again I don't think twitter and facebook will last either, but we'll see.

Thanks for your anecdote though.
>>
>>52886697
Are you actually retarded though?

We told you to just host it yourself.

Even if you expect not to have the bandwidth, you can just pay for a web host, write a simple web interface, and host your git repo there. It isn't hard.

Oh right, this thread was just an excuse to whine about SJWs though.
>>
>>52881624
Unless your on linux get them to install Sourcetree. It's the closest GUI i've found to the command line.
>>
>>52884095
>meritocracy often results in greater inequality
gee what a suprise.
competent people are valued more then incompetent people, how horrible.
>>
>>52886697
then fucking setup gitlab and host it... paranoid shill everywhere in /g/

like anyone will give a fuck of your repos in 10 years of time OR you won't be able to port a git repo somewhere else when "the world will end"

is your basement prepared for a zombie apocalypse?
>>
>>52886758
>We told you to just host it yourself.
I've explained to you why I want a public hosting service.
>>
>>52886758
*popular public
>>
>>52887360
>>52887379
Well then you could use...
oh wait, there's fucking nothing. If it was that popular you would know about it already.

And the problems you have with github are going to exist on any popular platform. If you're worried about CoC's or restructuring, they are going to happen to any hypothetical "popular public alternative" as well. Because the former is popular, and the latter is what happens when an enterprise becomes popular.
>>
>>52887135
Basically I was looking for what people here think will be the next SourceForge, but fine I think I'll go with my own GitLab, it would probably have less potential cites, I guess that's a price I need to pay for long term stability.

>like anyone will give a fuck of your repos in 10 years of time OR you won't be able to port a git repo somewhere else when "the world will end"
m8, one of the groups in my departments are still using libraries written in-house during the 80s. Not all fields are like CS where you can just dump the crud and start over every few years. I'm not saying people will definitely give a fuck about my repo in 1-2 decades, but it's actually likely.
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.