[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SMS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 11
What SMS app do you use?
>>
>>52876762
SMSSecure, there's literally no other option
>>
>>52876825
I'll use it as soon as I get notifications without a hard lock
>>
Signal with fake G-apps.
>>
>>52876849
Literally never had this problem, open a ticket in their bug tracker though
>>
the SMS app that came with my iphone, sometimes it turns my bubbles blue
>>
BlackBerry Hub
>>
>>52876851
Signal is not SMS you dumb nigger.
>>
>>52876893
It has SMS built in you fucking faggot.
>>
>>52876905
This. It's only non-SMS when data is turned off or if the other person isn't using Signal.
>>
DisaIM (facebook+whatsapp+SMS)...hope telegram pluging is coming soon.
>>
Signal. It just works.
>>
Textra. Is there any better option with a quick reply function? I don't want to have to open the whole app to reply to someone, it's been the best for me so far
>>
>>52877308
Signal
>>
qksms
>>
Textra because Signal is fucking worthless when nobody uses it. Plus, it's pretty feature bare and requires proprietary software to text from your browser.
>>
File: 1311947803699.jpg (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1311947803699.jpg
92 KB, 400x400
>>52877380
>Implying textra isn't proprietary.
>>
File: folder.jpg (184 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
184 KB, 500x500
>>52877644
Textra doesn't lock me out of using whatever browser or desktop SMS application I want. Signal does.
>>
>>52877329
I'm trying it out, so far so good
>>
Hangouts via Fi for Chrome and multi-device integration.
>>
boy these permission really dont spike my privacy sense at all kek
>>
funny they need all this shit to make my messages private
>>
>>52876762

Signal because it is by far the smoothest SMS app, even ignoring all the security functions built in
>>
>>52876762
>>52876825
Signal
>>
>>52877886
>>52877908
>I don't understand how Android works
>I don't provide permissions on an as-needed basis and restrict permissions that are not necessary
>>
qksms, basically textra but foss
>>
Why should I use any other SMS app other than Google Messenger?
>>
>>52877967
Personal preference. Additional features, different stylistic options, that sort of thing. No other reason, really.
>>
File: 1444453592717.jpg (9 KB, 252x252) Image search: [Google]
1444453592717.jpg
9 KB, 252x252
People still use SMS? That stopped like ten years ago, except for mobile subway/bus tickets and vending machines. The default software is good enough for those.

There are tons of instant messaging apps that use the internet connection instead.

>20 euro for unlimited use of 4G, cheaper if you only take 3G
>TFW living in a first world country
>>
>>52878075
I use what people I am in contact with regularly use. Just so happens that everyone I talk to uses SMS.

Maybe it stopped ten years ago outside the US, but SMS is still widely used here.

I am certainly envious of the state of mobile data elsewhere, though.
>>
>>52878083
I live in Brazil and the whole fucking country switched to WhatsApp about 4 years ago. Where the hell do you live that people still use SMS?
>>
>>52878143
most west yuro countries have free SMS with their plans since '08
>>
>>52878143
Urban Texas, though I guess your implications are right - this is still Texas.

The most exotic form of contact I get asked about is Facebook, though I feel like that's starting to die down in popularity a bit.
>>
>>52876762
iMessages
>>
telegram or whatsapp?
>>
>>52878171
Get your friends on telegram.
>>
>>52878143
We're not poor. We can afford SMS in the US. Whatsapp is for 3rd world shitholes like Europe where SMS is too expensive for them so they have to rely on a single companies service instead of a generic number you can use on anything.
>>
>>52876762
Mozilla Thunderbird
>>
File: 1447587377643.png (54 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1447587377643.png
54 KB, 625x626
>>52878361
>Not poor
>The whole country flips its shit if text bubbles aren't the right color
>>
>>52876762
LINE
>>
>>52878442
>iPhones are the most expensive phone
>higher percentage of iPhone users of anywhere else in the world

Please, tell me what style of drapes you like most.
>>
File: 1447447046277.jpg (43 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
1447447046277.jpg
43 KB, 627x626
>>52878536
>iPhones
>Bought with a two year contract so you don't actually have to own large sums of money at any point
>>
>>52876762
Textra
>>
Google Messenger. :^)
>>
textsecure or whatever it's called but it doesn't matter because literally nobody ever sends me sms anymore
>>
>>52877914
>using google play services
Kill yourself friendo
>>
>>52877308
Just switched from textra to signal and the quick reply is pretty similar. Hopefully you like the transition as much as I have and, with the signal desktop app coming you can bridge the two devices
>>
I've been using Hangouts in conjunction with my Google Voice number (going to switch my main number to a gvoice number once my contract is up). I was thinking of switching to google's Messenger, but I imagine none of this stuff provides the security that these other apps offer.

Why should I use Signal/SMSSecure/Textra?
>>
>>52877920
Location and microphone permissions for an sms app? Please explain this.
>>
qksms

But try to switch people from SMS to telegram
>>
>>52877955
Does it have any security features like Signal?
>>
>>52879683
there is a version of signal that uses websocket
>>
What's a good alternative to Signal? I only used it because I wanted a foss sms app that respectes my freedums

Now they forced me to also get the voip siht I didn't want and added an obnoxious invite prompt when texting it can fuck right off
>>
>>52877283
do your peers use signal as well?

iirc it's like whatsapp where everybody has to have it to chat
>>
>>52877886
>>52877908
Signal is FOSS fucking shill, also it's not just a SMS app, it's a messaging app, able to make voice calls or sending photographs from inside the app, just like Whatsapp
It's also audited, unlike most secure apps out there
>>52877652
Signal doesn't, you can literally make your own client, the protocol is libre, just like the client and the server

Marlinspike is a fucking faggot, but all this points are FUD
>>52881133
SMSSecure
>>
>>52876762
>SMS app
Are modern smartphones that shitty that you even need a fucking app for SMS?
What's next? A seperate E-mail app for every mail provider?

Fuck this modern world we are living in.
>>
>>52881248
How exactly would you send SMS without an app?
>>
>using anything but the default Android messenger app
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>52881280
By using the phone OS's inbuilt function for handling that mode of communication. Its a total and utter basic, just like actually making a call, or sending and receiving emails. I'd rather have this built into the OS, instead of having to start a fucking app, everytime I want to use it.
>>
>>52881294
"Built into the OS" is literally an application m8
>>
>>52878143
>SMS
Works anywhere and is compatible with any other phone.

>WhatsApp
Requires an internet connection to work.

Any non third-world country has unlimited or hundreds of SMS a day, people got used to it. 3G/4G/WiFi drains your battery crazy fast.

Why would anyone in the first world NOT use SMS?
>>
>>52881327
>Why would anyone in the first world NOT use SMS?

Primarily for more features and faster messaging
>>
Hangouts

Because I embrace the Google botnet
>>
>>52880634
>not knowing that you can send your location over sms
It's what all the normies do.
>>
>>52881359
This desu senpai
>>
>>52881238
Does encryption encryption work if my friends don't have SMSSecure installed? I suppose not.
>>
qksms--since the only messages I'm getting are notifications from my provider no need for encryption
>>
Why is fucking everyone using Signal?
It literally fucking leaks all kind of metadata and whatnot to jewgle.
You guys are even more retarded than moxiemalinfaggot.
>>
>>52880634
>not knowing you can call someone with the app
>not knowing you can send your location
Nigga you gay retarded
>>
>>52881327
Actual first world countries have unlimited internet anyway so the internet connection is not a problem. Also there are phones that have two day battery even with 4G so there's zero reason to use SMS.
>>
>>52879683
LibreSignal works just fine
>>
telegram for groups, Libresignal for everything else.
>>
>>52881155
In order to reap the benefits of Signal's encryption, the other users need to have it as well. But it also does regular (unencrypted) SMS, so you can use it while convincing your friends and family to switch.
>>
>>52876762
Letter and a Pigeon. I refuse to use any tech that will spy one me. Enjoy your botnet fags.
>>
>>52882019
>there's zero reason to use SMS
except if you need to reach someone that doesn't use your app/service
of course you could install all of them (WhatsApp, Fb Messenger, Viber, Skype, Telegram etc) but that would be plain stupid when you could just send an SMS
>>
Signal. The only one I trust or recommend.

Most of my friends have blue bubbles on it now. Family still tend to use SMS on dumbphones.
>>
>>52881772
There is no phone messenger I'm aware of that protects metadata effectively. SMS literally broadcasts it to the government; even Tor is not suitable against a global passive attacker. Secure communication is an open research problem, and phones, where you want to minimise power usage and data usage, present a unique challenge on top of that making the likely solution some kind of hybrid node/point P2P.

Of course, if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.
>>
File: disa.png (34 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
disa.png
34 KB, 512x512
>>52877181
this
>>
>>
>>52881772
>Of course, if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.
You know they don't!
>>
>>52881887
I would never share my location, so that's of no use to me. I wasn't aware that it was more than just an sms app.
>>
>>52882324
>Of course, if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.
A community of federated XMPP servers is definitely a better solution than tunneling all the traffic through jewgle servers, NSA servers and a single server operated by moxie hosted probably on AWS or another company tied to three letters agencies.
Hell, even plain SMS is better than Signal, at least only my government can read my shit.
>>
I used to use TextSecure but they switched to Apple emoji for some dumbass reason. Using Textra now since it supports way more customization. I can have the font size way the fuck down and actually have a good conversion assistant.
>>
>>52876762
my LG G2's stock messaging app
literally why would i use anything else
>>
>>52882630
Does your xmpp federation include neural nets that basically eliminate 99% of all spam? Because that alone right there makes it worth using Google services.
>>
>>52876762
iMessage. :)
>>
>ITT: special snowflakes use special snowflake software because they think their default sms app spies them
who would want to fucking spy you
>>
>>52884516
What you are saying is that selling yourself to the devil to gain a small convenience is a very good idea.
Do you realize how retarded you sound?
>>
>>52876762
default iphone
>>
Should i use LibreSignal or SmsSecure ?
>>
>>52882545
So then just disable it baka
And why are you talking mad shit about it if you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>52886007
That's not a problem, because I'm not even using Signal.
>>
Who the fuck uses SMS in 2016
>>
>>52886388
Imagine this: Your family or friends may not be online 24/7 or at the moment you want to talk to them. How about that?
>>
>>52877308
But there is a quick reply option you nigger
>>
>>52886454
You call them if it's that urgent
>>
>>52880247
Is data required or does it run on sms
>>
>>52886779
Or use SMS. Why restrict myself to voice only when I don't have to?
>>
LibreSignal from fdroid
>>
>>52876825
This.
>>
>>52886462
A BETTER option that ALSO includes quick reply
>>
>>52886779
I don't want people calling me any time they have anything to say. What if I'm at a funeral and my ringtone goes off? It'd be embarrassing for everyone to hear "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR" in that situation
>>
>>52887799
You're supposed to mute your phone in those kind of situations.
>>
>>52881238
Signal is not FOSS. It uses and requires Google Play Servives.
>>
>>52887819
But what if it's really important
>>
>>52888044
Vibrate
>>
>>52888074
That'd be equally bad, I'd just have a huge boner at the funeral
>>
>current year
>SMS
>>
>>52888662
Avoiding SMS just to not use it would mean bloating my phone up with shit like Facebook Messenger, Kik, and multiple other messengers. There's no universally popular messenger in the US other than Facebook's and iMessage, and I'm not switching devices and using Facebook just to talk to people. On the other hand, everyone has SMS and I don't need any additional bloat to communicate with anyone
>>
>>52888746
no one asked for your life story
who's stopping you from only writing SMS?
go cry for attention somewhere else, fucking reverse hipster faggot
>>
>>52888807
>whines that people use SMS
>someone explains it
>whine about that
Fuck off.
>>
Textra
>>
>>52888846
>no one asks
>people cry about the possibility to use other methods to reach people in our global mobile network besides SMS
>they want SMS being popular again, blog on 4chan about their life and how hipster they are
>actually nothing is stopping them from only writing SMS
>someone calls them out on that
>they keep crying for attention
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>52888928
>doesn't realize SMS hasn't stopped being popular in the US
>>
>>52888957
at least learned one thing in this shit thread
but it actually shouldn't be a surprise
everyone outside your major cities lives in the fucking 70s
>>
Textra of course, just werks smoothly
>>
Why do you use signal if it requires play services? Does microG actually work?
>>
>>52884257
That irritated me, too; you can go back to Android stock emoji in the settings. I understand why - it was the 'hairy heart' thing, but Google fixed that in later Android versions. Still.

>>52884516
GCM is only used for wakelocks. (GCM is also the only supported wakelock method that works in Deep Sleep mode and doesn't require admin exceptions on Android Marshmallow. I don't like that, not one bit, but it's what we have.)

>>52882630
No, that has the exact same metadata problem.

And several governments get the ability to read SMSes, including full content and metadata. You're literally broadcasting it to anyone who will listen, all of the crypto is weak, and GCHQ more or less engineered the backdooring of GSM from day one.

You do realise that the metadata problem can all be boiled down to timing, right? All I need is the time, and the ability to see the timings of most internet/other comms packets that cross the relevant areas, and in short order your federated XMPP is fucked, Signal is fucked - even Tor is fucked against correlation like that given sufficient targeting and time.

Defending against that is extremely hard - when I say it's an open research problem, I mean it. It's not one you can solve with a glorified IRC with XML bolted on.
>>
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging
>>
>>52876762
I think it's called Messages
why should anybody care, all phones are inherently shit
>>
>>52885225
Both
>>52887883
It's still FOSS, all of it's code is licensed under the GPL, despite Moxie being a jewish faggot and despite it requiring GCM
Anyways, forks that don't require GCM exist, like LibreSignal
>>52882630
No one can read what you send using the Signal protocol
>>
>>52882021
>>52880981
Have you looked at all the permissions it asks? It's built by a random fuck I've never heard of too. I don't trust it.
>>
>>52890322
>No, that has the exact same metadata problem.
It would be a huge pain in the ass to perform a timing attack against a shitload of servers located literally everywhere in the world and operated by a very large pool of people.
With Signal, whatsapp and the like everything is routed through a single server hosted in the USA.
This way they don't even need to use some arcane large scale attack, they just go to the owner of the server/ISP/hosting provider without even needing any paper signed by a judge and get whatever the fuck they want.
>>
Signal.
>>
>>52890983
>everything is routed through a single server hosted in the USA
No. You're right in saying that metadata attacks are theoretically easier (there's only one server setup across all servers, making things like info theoretic PIR pretty much useless), but practically, they are using many servers to distribute load geographically, and the connections to them are far more secure than SMS. TLS is "broken," but it's more than enough to make dragnet attacks too expensive, especially since the certs are presumably pinned in the app.
>>
>>52876762
Signal :)
>>
>>52878143
In US everyone has unlimited sms so people just use that I guess
>>
Which is better privacy wise, telegram or whatsapp?

I like telegrams features a lot more,but I know it has huge security flaws. Whatsapp is proprietary and owned by jewbook but is pretty secure no?
>>
the default one with LG phones. called messages
>>
>>52891115
>but practically, they are using many servers to distribute load geographically
This is obvious, but those servers are all owned by a single corporation, just send a subponea to said company and you basically own their whole network.
For Signal it is probably really just a single server (I don't think they have a large user pool).
As for SMS, they are shit, I never said otherwise because they clearly are but, from the standpoint of the average european user, they are far more "private" than Signal.
With SMS only my carrier and my government can look through my shit while with Signal I also have to worry about USA government (where the server/s is/are hosted), USA government for a second time since moxie is from USA, probably at least a couple of other european states, some tier1 ISP, the owner of the backbone, the USA based datacenter where the server is probably located, the fucking NSA and probably someone else I don't even acknowledge the existence of.
>>
>>52891443
>This is obvious, but those servers are all owned by a single corporation, just send a subponea to said company and you basically own their whole network.
And this is different from SMS networks how? They're not even encrypted, so subpoena not necessary if you have a network tap.

>For Signal it is probably really just a single server
It's not, that's exactly what I was saying.

>With SMS only my carrier and my government can look through my shit
Lol no. The US does global dragnet surveillance of metadata for calls and SMS, this is why everyone internationally was so pissed.
>>
>>52877886
>>52877908
Silence goyim
>>
>>52882021
Where can I find that?
>>
>>52877181
This
>>
File: Lighthouse.jpg (548 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lighthouse.jpg
548 KB, 1024x768
>>52876762
Signal hands down
>>
>>52876762
Hangouts because I can call for free through voip and I've been using its number as my primary for 5 years now
>>
>>52878565
Are they still selling them in installment plans? If so, fuck the carriers.
>>
>>52880366
>Signal
Basically Facebook Messenger with independently audited encryption

>SMSSecure
Signal but for SMS

>Textra
Like the default SMS app but with ricing capabilities

You're not missing much.
>>
>>52888044
Then you set it to the "important" ringtone. So when you're at a wedding and the priest asks "Does anyone have any objections to why these two should not be wed?", your phone will burst out "THAT QUESTION WILL BE ANSWERED THIS SUNDAY NIGHT WHEN JOHN CENA DEFENDS THE BELT AT WWE SUPERSLAAAAAAAAMMMMM".
>>
>>52896954
Signal does all this as well, keeping the same number, while providing e2e encryption.

>>52896977
>Basically Facebook Messenger with independently audited encryption
I don't think FB is e2e is it?
>>
>>52897302
If it is they have the keys
>>
>>52897352
... wat
>>
>>52897387
The encryption keys. If it's end to end encrypted, Facebook definitely possesses the keys to decrypt the data
>>
>>52876762
You would have to be retarded not to use Signal

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.securesms&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/signal-private-messenger/id874139669?mt=8
>>
>>52897395
then it's not e2e encrypted... because, you know, the e2e part.
>>
>>52886854
It works as an SMS messenger as well
>>
>>52897415
data is encrypted then sent from sender to recipient, that's end to end encryption.
>>
>>52897440
Generally speaking, neither academia nor industry consider key escrow to qualify as actual e2e encryption. The typical definition used for e2e is that only the sender and recipient can access the plaintext.
>>
>>52897440
>>52897475
lol I just checked and in fact, it says as much in the first sentence of the wikipedia article on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end_encryption
>>
>>52876762
Default Symbian S60 program.
>>
>>52878159
Dutchmen have ditched sms ages ago, can't imagine the rest of the western euro countries haven't done the same.
>>
>>52897516
I with there was a Signal port for Symbian
>>
>>52891685
>And this is different from SMS networks how? They're not even encrypted, so subpoena not necessary if you have a network tap.
With SMS the traffic does not leave my country, and in europe no one gives a shit about spying on its own citizens (someone try but without a proper budget it's going nowhere).
SMS are also "somewhat" encrypted (A3, A8), at least they are where in transit from the phone to the cell it is connected to.

>It's not, that's exactly what I was saying.
It's still a huge single point of failure, all the servers are still owned by a single jew who is also from USA.

>Lol no. The US does global dragnet surveillance of metadata for calls and SMS, this is why everyone internationally was so pissed.
They had some bullshit equipment attached to certain ISP network in certain nations, it's not a glogal dragnet.
They intercept everything that goes through USA, that's why everyone was pissed because they are literally treating every non USA citizen as a potential terrorist.

With SMS you are hiding in plain sight, the traffic is so huge that LEA are not even able to get some goatfuckers texting for months/years who also trained in siria for months/years and then came back in europe to fuck Paris up.
With Signal you are just one of the not so many faggots using an encrypted app made by a jew who is already in every known and unknown blacklist.
>>
>>52890920
Tell that to Snowden
>>
>>52876762
>sms
>2016
>>
Textra for now but it's awful. I don't use SMS to chat, that fucking dialog view makes it hard to find the latest sms with chronological date/time/sender.
I need something that threats it more like email.
>>
>>52888992
You've never been to the US obviously
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.