[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zune
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: 714HdFEp+oS._SL1500_.jpg (79 KB, 872x1500) Image search: [Google]
714HdFEp+oS._SL1500_.jpg
79 KB, 872x1500
Why did this fail?

Its hardware was just as good if not better than iPod and the Zune software was a thousand times easier to use.

So many technological illiterate baby boomers and normies alike can't figure out iTunes and converting their library, whereas with Zune you just drag and drop the shit off your hard drive.

I think if Microsoft had the heart and dedication for it, Zune could have been successful. I blame poor and unenthusiastic management.
>>
>>52875679
I loved mine, It eneded up being too much to replace through.
>>
/g/ IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL CONSUMER REVIEW SITE /g/ IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL CONSUMER REVIEW SITE /g/ IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL CONSUMER REVIEW SITE /g/ IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL CONSUMER REVIEW SITE /g/ IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL CONSUMER REVIEW SITE /g/ IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL CONSUMER REVIEW SITE
>>
Because the iPod came first and the Zune offered nothing different.
>>
File: images-20.jpg (21 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images-20.jpg
21 KB, 470x313
The best technology never wins anon, the shitter always prevails

See:
>Nokia N9
>Vita
>Linux on Desktop
>Laserdisc
>DC current in home
>>
Ipod was already established and tried to fill that place, nothing really new to the consumer
Not to mention some of the originals were fairly ugly see pic
>>
>>52875805
Zunehd was miles ahead of the ipod touch
>>
>>52875739
what is wireless sharing form device to device?
>>
ipod was the defacto meme device so everything else was fighting for the tablescraps, and zune development cost to much for just table scraps.
>>
>>52875830
Thats true but apps were all the rage and the ZuneHD took a good 10-15 seconds to load up a stopwatch app
It was an amazing device for music/casual net browsing 3 years no issues until somebody jacked it from me
>>
>>52875679
This is not just with technology most people do not care and just take the most talked about/hyped. Item/thing/place. U can give people Shit but if it's all hyped on Facebook and on twitter they will buy it.
>>
>>52875739
>iPod came first
Cretin

There were plenty of pmps before iPod.
>>
The zune itself was well reviewed, the trouble was that it came out shortly before the iphone, aka the convergence of devices.

Had to zune come out sooner it might have carved itself a market, oh well a world of what might have beens..
>>
>>52875679
Because the zune software makes your mp3 tags go full autism mode
>>
>>52875906
Most people feel empty inside and want to belong to a certain club. Just like kids who want iPhone 6 becouse other class mates have one too. eve if there are better options for less money. It's really stupid. Adults are even worse btw, most western country's have this issue becouse there's no culture or society there.
>>
>>52875907
Fools don't know shit about my AAA powered sandisk with the microSD slot back when you'd pay like 30 dollars for a fucking 2GB card.
>>
>>52875958
>most western country's have this issue becouse there's no culture or society there

No, just America and Canada.
>>
File: IMG_20160208_185728.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160208_185728.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>>52875679
iPod was out first and Apple was good at marketing to idiots. It didn't helped that the Zune was priced in the same price range as the iPod and often was saw as the poor man's iPod by normies.
>>52875875
>>52875851
It was a fantastic device, still have mine. I recently moved to a FiiO though. ZuneHD still works fine, but a limit of 32Gb and having to convert flac songs for it got old.
>>
>>52875805
>Brown version
>Ugly
u wot m8, that one was the best.
>>
File: black-zune-hd-rm-eng.jpg (41 KB, 600x482) Image search: [Google]
black-zune-hd-rm-eng.jpg
41 KB, 600x482
Man this thing was the fucking tits. I still have mine but it's so old i doubt it'll hold a charge well.
>>
>>52875679
Phones with 32+gb of storage and/or sd card slot.
>>
i had three 30gb devices when i was in middle school, i put them in my backpack and i guess i was not careful and cracked the screen from throwing my bag. each time they replaced it for free even a year after i purchased one.
>>
I really like my Zune HD, and use it whenever I'm out of the house. I want to get a larger capacity one at some point.
>>
There have always been instances where better products just don't get traction and it's typically because consumers are stupid fucking bastards.

VHS vs Beta - Beta is a technically superior format in every respect that matters but because of the smaller size of the cassettes, VHS ended up winning not for any technical reasons whatsoever. Why did VHS win? Because fat stupid fucking people could go to their local video store, rent 3 movies at at time, bring them home then copy them to one 6 hour VHS tape that cost them $8. If they wanted to do that with Beta they would have to have two cassettes because they had a max of like 4 hours with LP mode and the cassettes cost more than VHS did.

Mini-Discs - They were superior products long ago as well, better than anything else out there at the time and their technology (ATRAC) was even better than CD quality spec (16 bit 44.1 kHz for CD and 16 bit 48 kHz for ATRAC) while offering very long playtimes later with NetMD and larger capacity MDs. Of course, the issue was Sony being greedy fucking bastards, charging out the ass for licensing blank MD technology, and creating the ultra-fucking-shitastic SonicStage software which just frustrate the fuck out of end users to no end even going so far as to prevent making digital copies of stuff: you'd have to record things in real-time 1:1 to get it to work using the analog inputs.

Same situation with the Zune series of products: they were technically superior overall, rock solid aside from early issues with the 1.8" hard drives (not Microsoft's fault), and of course the software wasn't all that great but near the end when the Zune HD was released the software was better (but it would still fuck up the IDv2/3 tags as already mentioned).

Sad, because the Zune HD will forever remain a pretty damned fucking awesome PMP. They should have open sourced the firmware after they stopped making it.

Zune is dead, long live Zune...
>>
>>52876085
I got one in 2009 and it still holds a charge well. The battery life on it was great.
>>
>>52876146
nice copypasta :,)
>>
>>52876055

They did make a 64GB Zune HD, you know.
>>
>>52876161

Fuck you, I just typed that out, you bonehead.
>>
>>52876163
I am, I bought mine before the 64Gb one was out. When it came out, mine was still pretty new so I couldn't justify buying the bigger one. Now they are expensive as fuck for the 64.
>>
>>52875739
This.
The Apple already owned the market. Microsoft was late and offered no significant improvement.
>>
>>52876181
lol, this is word-for-word a thread we had two days ago
>>
>>52876187

>Now they are expensive as fuck for the 64.

Yep, another thing to blame on stupid fucking people.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>52876213

If you can find my just typed off the top of my head post above at any of the 4chan archiving sites and provide a link, I'll believe you and believe time travel is possible.

Since you can't and it isn't, fuck you again.
>>
It was too late to be marketed in any decent light as an equal competitor to what was basically a heavily dominated Apple exclusive marketplace.

If they had gotten their foot in at the right time at the early days of MP3 players they might have been able to be seen as equal competitors.

A good example of Microsoft getting their foot into a market at the right time was with the Xbox. Sony bringing healthy competition and introducing the idea of a game machine that could be so much more while Nintendo focused exclusively on games. Sega with it's Dreamcast was trying to make an imprint into the market but given how Sega could not strike gold again since the Genesis era Microsoft was able to move right on in to be a main player and equal competitor to Sony and Nintendo with what they were bringing to market.

Microsoft should have tried to get in at the early 2000's with the MP3 player market. They could have been able to shake things up just enough.
>>
File: 20160208_203342_HDR.jpg (1 MB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20160208_203342_HDR.jpg
1 MB, 1494x2656
i loved this ugly brown thing so fuckin much
>>
>>52875679
I've got a zone hd. Shits amazing
>>
>>52877258
holy fucking shit me too

The Zune was so based. I got mine refurbished years ago for basically nothing.
>>
>>52875679
It failed because the iPhone came out not long after. Everyone jumped on the touchscreen bandwagon, and dedicated devices fell to the wayside.

I still use my 30GB Gen1 Zune daily. I had to change the battery once but it wasn't hard. The battery tends to last me a week and I don't have to waste my Galaxy S5's battery/data. Yeah I could store more music on the phone (64GB uSD) but the Zune controls so damn well.
>>
The only people I knew who had a zune were the people whom lived on computers.
>>
>>52877291
yeah this thing was great in high school and college, but unfortunately the battery hasnt held much of a charge and because the zune 30s used mechanical HDDs mine would sometimes restart if held in certain direction. so i havent used mine in a while.
>>
>>52877318
and....
>>
>>52877335
And when it came out not that many people did that.
>>
The Zune HD was a god-tier device. It failed because it came out too late in the game. Like >>52877317 said, the iPhone came out shortly after, and even then, everyone was stuck in the iPod craze. On top of that, while the Zune could run apps, Microsoft did not make app development, much less distribution, an easy thing for developers. The Zune software was stylish, but also big, bloated, and also kept undergoing huge unnecessary updates on a regular basis.

Plus, with sync enabled, if you tried to manage your collection on your Zune to make room for new tracks, the software would also delete your local copies of your music as well.
>>
File: 440x330_2.jpg (19 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
440x330_2.jpg
19 KB, 440x330
I had a Zen Vision M 60gb. It was pretty cool, worked for like 6 years until my brother dropped it in water. The thing was a fucking brick and was also as large as a brick.
>>
>>52875679
Heres why it failed anon:

>does nothing ipod didnt already do
>cost was almost as much as an ipod
>zune software was fucking garbage, they couldn't just make it work with windows media player?! no that would be too easy you need to install yet another media player despite both zune and wmp being microsoft products
>initial offering was an ugly brown like shit color

Microsoft consistently fuck new ventures up.
>>
>>52875777
>all worse in it's own way
>>
>>52877564

>does nothing ipod didnt already do

does ipod allow you to listen to FM radio? thanks shithead.
>>
>>52875907
but they were trash and difficult to use, same as smartphones before iphone
>>
>>52875928
>The zune itself was well reviewed, the trouble was that it came out shortly before the iphone, aka the convergence of devices.

Had they launched the Zune 80 (The second revision) i think it would have had a better chance at taking marketshare away from applel, not that it matters now.

I owned a 30 gig iPod video and a 80 gig Zune, i prefered the Zune 100% to the the iPod(got it for free)
>>
Microsft is too "corporate" while apple is more a "status" thing
>>
>>52875697
/thread
>>
>>52877597
>FM radio

did you just timetravel from the fucking 80s?
>>
hmmm?
>>
>>52877597
This feature is great because it let's me listen to a few stations without wasting my data with iHeartRadio.
>>
>>52875679
i had the shit brown one it was great until the drive died.
>>
>>52877564
>share music with friends
>Wireless syncing
>music streaming service
>higher audio quality support, had the option to make it not compress the songs
>Social media used to help recommend music
>FM/HD radio
>>
>>52878000
>worthless thanks to torrents
>worthless in general
>worthless thanks to torrents
>"muh audio quality" on a portable music player kek
>worthless because social media
>outdated tech
>>
>>52878098
>i dont use or understand that feature so it must be worthless: The post.
>>
>>52875679
It was good, and had great features, but the iPod already had the majority market share.
The HD had better specs, but they only added one or two apps per month, and the OS updates didn't add much functionality.
>>
>>52878133
yeah because packing a product full of useless cruft nobody wants leads to success... oh wait
>>
Advertising. Go look up some old Zune ads.
>>
File: 0208162332.jpg (120 KB, 554x984) Image search: [Google]
0208162332.jpg
120 KB, 554x984
>>52875679
Still have mine and I still love it. Had a problem with it restarting randomly a few months ago but its been good since then.
People always complement me on it on the bus.
>>
>>52878098
Call it worthless but these are things people do a lot now days. Music streaming is big and a lot of people use drop box for music sharing and iheart radio to listen to local radio stations. Zune had the right idea of what people wanted to do with their music player.
>>
>>52875697
Stfu and eat shit
>>
>>52879004
Do a full wipe of it and should work better, mine did that once in awhile.
I wish I could buy a phone with the build quality and form factor of a ZuneHD.
>>
>>52877511
oh shit i had one of these the goddamn hdd died

was a absolute brick but sounded fantastic
>>
>>52877444
>zune software
>bloated

It's light as fuck dumbass. Uses less RAM than even WMP.
>>
>>52877597
jesus christ dude FM radio was not remotely a selling point even a decade ago. nobody cared about a radio. a decade ago everybody already had fm radios in basically everything. a radio in their mp3 player wasn't something anybody needed.
>>
>>52880384
why cant it just use WMP... oh yeah because its a piece of shit
>>
>>52875777
>Laserdisc
'Laserdisc'

>DC current in home
You wouldn't happen to be willing to electrocute pets on the streets to prove this?
>>
File: ZuneSoftware2.jpg (67 KB, 649x493) Image search: [Google]
ZuneSoftware2.jpg
67 KB, 649x493
iPod was already immensely popular, by the time Zune established itself, smartphones were ready to both devices obsolete.

The Zune software was GOAT though, so clean and easy to use. Shame it's been abandoned, I've yet to find and media player that's as good as it was.
>>
>>52881111
I still use Zune on my computer
>>
File: zunefaggot.jpg (288 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
zunefaggot.jpg
288 KB, 640x480
>>52875830
>>52876055
>>52876085
>>52876130
>>52877258
>>52877269
>>52877291
>>52879004
>>52883102
Spotted

>>52877318
This
>>
>>52879399
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.