[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wdg/ - Web Development General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: 1454790078951-1507615076.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1454790078951-1507615076.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Laravel a shit edition.

Old Thread >>52794385

>IRC Channel
#/g/wdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://www.rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.bento.io/
https://programming-motherfucker.com/
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
https://www.theodinproject.com/

>Frontend development
https://github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
https://pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
https://libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>>
>>52832619
Nice attempt to try and turn the tables.
Perhaps SQL is too advanced for you?
>>
>>52833345
Not him but SQL isn't difficult for anyone.

Also college for PHP is useless unless you are a 3rd worlder who has designated shitting streets.
>>
typescript
y/n
>>
Never got a response in the last thread, so I'll ask again:

I'm making a small javascript game using websockets to communicate with the backend. Does anyone here know anything about websockets? Any recommendations on a API/framework to use? Preferably in JS, Python, Ruby, or Java.
>>
>>52833238
>rizon
<html>kill yuo'er self
>>
what is the best mongoDB UI admin manager?
>inb4 terminal does the trick
>>
>>52833572
what's wrong with rizon?
>>
>>52833542
Try >>>/vg/agdg
>>
Fucking furious senpai. Stay the fuck away from Namecheap hosting....wait, stay the fuck away from shared hosting in general.

I have to be bending over backwards just so I can meet the requirements of their shitty CPanel setup.
I can't even fucking connect to their fucking database server without downloading some shit 3rd party software.
Fuck me. I should have splashed the extra cahs and gotten a VPS. Fuck this shit. Fuck Cpanel and everyone associated with it
>>
>>52833542
check out spring-websocket
>http://docs.spring.io/spring/docs/current/spring-framework-reference/html/websocket.html
>>
>>52833572
No U.

I just copied and pasted, Edadik.
>>
>>52833642
want to set up a server?
https://codeshare.io/4chan
>>
>>52833421
I am fully aware, he just made a retarded statement saying he can do it better without proving it.
When I confronted him with this he tried to turn the tables.
>>
>>52833642
Why not FTP like a real hero?
>>
>>52833696
> C++

Literally the language of poverty devs.
>>
>>52833657
Thanks anon, I'll look into it
>>
Should I learn Django or Node?
>>
>>52833897
>not knowing the difference between c/c++
>>
File: firefox_2016-02-06_22-01-13.png (30 KB, 331x135) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-02-06_22-01-13.png
30 KB, 331x135
>>
>>52833934
Professionally, either will land you in a shack.
No difference.
>>
>Laravel a shit edition

Why Laravel a shit?
>>
>>52833906
Django
>>
>>52834073
I'm not certain, but it could be in reference to last thread, where a couple people couldn't figure Laravel out lel
>>
>>52833706

>ftp
>not ssh
>not git
>>
>>52834082
Flask
>>
Why is Javascript the best programming language?
>>
>>52834493
I'm not sure a lot of people will agree with you here.
>>
>>52834518
It's the most fun to write at least.
>>
>>52834533
LOLcode is more fun
>>
>>52834533
I enjoy writing with ES6 or whatever its called, but its not my personal favorite.

Though, I definitely don't mind it, since I can do frontend and backend fairly easily
>>
>tfw want to dev but can't because of some weird performance bug I can't find
wtfffffffffffffffffffff
>>
File: 1442030280195.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1442030280195.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
Is it possible to find a decent job while using an alternative to github?
>>
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
> work on website for a long time in just one browser
> try it out in other browsers
> it looks the same in all of them
> it works in all of them
>>
File: Untitled.png (4 KB, 293x104) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4 KB, 293x104
>when your in the moment debug text comes back to haunt you
>>
>>52834866
wat?
>>
>>52834905
We are almost there. The point where you can design in one browser and safely know the other browsers will look the same.

Then you design for mobile and have to support all the shitty screen sizes. Slowly but surely.
>>
>>52833238
I love this pic
>>
File: i thought it was pretty good.png (12 KB, 308x144) Image search: [Google]
i thought it was pretty good.png
12 KB, 308x144
rate my funny joke
>>
dumb question but how the fuck do i set up a mean stack development environment on windows 7? i want to run it through a virtual machine on virtualbox. do i just make an ubuntu (or whatever linux) virtual machine and then do apt-get install (all of the shit for MEAN stack)? what the fuck is vagrant and what does it do, and why should i use it? are there any premade virtualbox images for MEAN stack?
>>
>>52835714
I don't know about angular, but I just installed everything to windows and it works fine. Right now im using nodejs and mongodb.
>>
>>52835360
8/8 anon, 8/8
>>
>>52835947
More like a 5/7 desu.
>>
File: liars.png (113 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
liars.png
113 KB, 1366x768
You guys lied to me when you said I needed to sanitize my inputs before executing them. With my current setup, it's only passed as an argument.
>>
I have a div with a background image that I plan on applying a transparent gradient over. Is there a way to have the div resize automatically to ensure the background image is at 100% size.

I essentially want it to perform in the same way as an image with its width set to 100% so that when I make the browser smaller it gets smaller as well.
>>
>>52836231
>form method GET
wat
>>
>>52836231
\" && nuke pc --
>>
>>52836523
this still doesn't work
>>
>>52836633
Because you aren't trying hard enough obviously. Just google how to escape shell commands.
>>
File: ok.png (75 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
75 KB, 1366x768
>>52836659
Thanks for the information.
It works perfectly now.
>>
File: 1452197444538.png (210 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1452197444538.png
210 KB, 500x375
Quick, post some designs/examples of web stores that focus on usability rather than >muh asthetics
>>
>>52837084

aesthetics*

Fuck.
>>
File: towel.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
towel.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>been doing programming for less than 4 months
>only in first semester of college
>want to get the fuck out and find a job
>have had multiple people tell me I'm ready for a front end position
>worried that I won't be able to find a job despite what they say; no degree + short amount of time doing this + feel like my projects are shit compared to actually good projects all make me feel like I'm garbage at web development

Should I actually be applying for junior front end positions right now or should I be focusing on improving a lot before applying? My anxiety is getting in the way so much that I can't tell what I should be doing.
>>
>>52837165
Apply to all positions you are interested in.

The worst that can happen is that they turn you down. The best that can happen is that you get a job.

It also depends where you are. Some companies would rather have someone with a degree, others want experience.

What I would do is, apply to all jobs you want, and start working on a portfolio website. Make some mock up websites with a fake company and all that for a 'showcase', since you don't have any clients yet.

What are you going to school for? Computer Science?
>>
>>52837165
You'd never find out unless you try.
>>
>>52837165
I have the same problem. I'm going to college and I hate dealing with all the gen ed bull shit classes. I just want a job but I feel I should really stick it out for a degree
>>
I'm learning about constructor functions. Is there any reason not to create objects like this every time?
>>
>>52837165
if you quit now and start working on front end, you'll be one of those people that only knows how to do front end web development

if you finish your degree and actually give a shit about your classes, you'll be prepared for a lot more programming positions and won't be stuck in front end webdev.

ideally you would work as a web developer while simultaneously working on your education. if they'll let you do part-time work, that would be the best way to go.
>>
>>52837560
The first route only happens if anon quits and only does front end for the rest of his life. He could just as easily learn to do other things now that he dropped out and has free time outside of his job.

The second route doesn't guarantee he'll be ready for other positions at all. Especially if someone's considering dropping out, they probably aren't attending a school worth shit.
>>
Help me estimate hours, /wdg/

* Custom Wordpress theme from scratch
* Mockups provided but I would need to also produce a more accurate/final one
* Some extra features (like feeds from various social networks, shoppable product links (not ecommerce))
* Haven't written a WP theme before but have plenty of experience with both frontend dev and PHP

How many hours would you expect to bill for this?
>>
>>52837683
-Depends on the scope of the site
-Depends on whether or not you're using preexisting plugins

Having said that, for a simple-ish WP site from scratch I'd estimate 50 hours.

Custom plugins are what will take more time probably
>>
>>52837683
I always just ask for a number that makes me excited and makes me want to get out of bed.

Then I wonder if the other person would pay it. And the answer is usually yes.
>>

this.spaces = [];
var x, y;
for(x = 1; x <= width; x++) {
this.spaces[x] = [];
for(y = 1; y <= height; y++) {
this.spaces[x][y] = "(" + x + "," + y + ")";
}
}

Explain this piece of code.
>>
>>52839571
>this.spaces = [];
makes this.spaces an array

> var x, y;
> for(x = 1; x <= width; x++) {
of width 'width'

> this.spaces[x] = [];
makes this.spaces[x] and array, i.e., this.spaces is a two dimentional array

> for(y = 1; y <= height; y++) {
of height 'height'

> this.spaces[x][y] = "(" + x + "," + y + ")";
and each element of the array (of size width x height) is something like "(0,0)", "(0,1)"... "(1,0)" "(0,1)" etc.
>>
>>52839571
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=javascript+for+idiots
>>
File: 1412889453303.jpg (142 KB, 600x813) Image search: [Google]
1412889453303.jpg
142 KB, 600x813
So I'm working in Korean charset. Writing 빵 comes out weird. Not moonspeak, but as "ë1µ".

I've got the mime module set on apache2 with korean charset enabled (default options), and setting my php headers manually with

header('Content-language: kr');

doesn't do anything.

what's weird is the korean text works when I open the page on my phone (android).

page is at http://alissa.ninja/빵/

can you see the Korean?
>>
Look at this trainwreck of a post
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?51923-Pretty-URLs-with-basic-mod_rewrite-and-powerful-options-in-PHP
>>
>>52840293
fixed it. default_charset="utf-8" was commented out in my php.ini file
>>
File: tomoko.png (35 KB, 356x333) Image search: [Google]
tomoko.png
35 KB, 356x333
This is probably a stupid question but is a front end developer expected to know about back end stuff? I've been learning everything related to front end for about 6 months now but I haven't even touched a cPanel.
>>
>>52833421
Not anyone but relationships in databases and some of those more complex features are difficult for people who haven't used sql since uni.

>>52834007
Disagree.

You can get hired in C and earn 6 figures, unfortunately you'll almost definitely need a degree, 10 years experience, etc.

>>52834996
Viewwidth and viewheight fix 90% of mobile errors.

>>52840293
Check the character encoding, make sure you're using unicode and not utf8.

>>52840375
Or maybe utf8...

Is the default ascii in php? Ewwwwww.
>>
I'm new to using jQuery so I was messing with some effects in the AP to see what I'm working with.. How to I make the second button make the center panel disappear?

Here's the HTML/CSS
https://jsbin.com/gubohigusi/edit?css,console,output

Here's the javascript, since I don't know of any sites that let you run jQuery in the browser.

<script src="jquery-1.11.3.js"></script>
<script>
$(document).ready(function() {

$("button").click(function() {

$("#left").css("color", "blue").css("border", "solid 2px pink").slideUp("20000");

});
});

$("#center").css("color", "blue").css("border", "solid 2px pink").slideUp("20000");

});
});

</script>

Any jQuery tips as well?
>>
>>52841085
for your button, simply put:
<button onclick="$(this).parent().hide()">Hide me</button>
>>
>>52841352
><button onclick="$(this).parent().hide()">Hide me</button>

Thanks. How should I insert it? Is it supposed to go in the script tags or replace the original button element?

<!DOCTYPE>
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="testyle.css">
</head>
<body>

<div id="buttonNav">
<ul>
<li><a class="button" href="#">Home</a></li>
<li><a class="button" href="#">Links</a></li>
<li><a class="button" href="#">About</a></li>
<li><a class="button" href="#">Social</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

<div id="left">
<h1>Content Panel (Javascripts)</h2>

<p>Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.
</p>

</div>

<div id="test">

<button>Hit the button to change something.</button>

</div>

<div id="center">
<h2>Center panel</h2>

<p>Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.Hi I'm filler text.
</p>

</div>

<div id="test">

<button onclick="$(this).parent().hide()">Hide me</button>

</div>

<script>

$("#left").css("color", "blue").css("border", "solid 2px pink").slideUp("20000");

});
});

$("#center").css("color", "blue").css("border", "solid 2px pink").slideUp("20000");

});
});

</script>

</body>

</html>

Sorry I'm new at this
>>
>>52841352
It's generally better to not include inline-anything, as it makes your code messy. However, if you're simply doing a single, uncomplicated function, it's fine to leave it as an attribute tag. However, if you think you'll be re-using some function, it's better to make a function for it in the script tags so it's more easily re-usable.

The rule of thumb in all software design is 0, 1, or infinity. In this context, it means that if you're only planning on doing something once, don't worry about using the function later on down the line for other things (abstraction). However, if you're going to use it any more than once, make it a function so you can use it an infinite amount of times. You'll find this principle in all programming.

Also, you don't need to include
$(document).ready(function(){ ... } );

for every single function. You only need to put it once at the beginning, and put everything else in it.

Also, after a `{` bracket, you should indent the next line, like:

function(){
console.log("indentation makes your code easier to read for everyone!");
}

it makes it easier for you to find something later on. You're doing it somewhat, but you should do it consistently. If you're really anal about things like that, consider checking out the google javascript styleguide sometime at

https://google.github.io/styleguide/javascriptguide.xml

nobody is really gonna yell at you if you don't adhere to google's styleguide or not (except maybe google), but having SOME consistent formatting makes it easier to navigate.

also, if you want to do what I said, but with the $().click function, you can do

$(button).click(function(){
$(this).parent().hide();
}
>>
Using node.js, JS, html, and css can I create a pretty chillio website? Or should I branch out a bit more.
>>
>>52841614
Thanks for the help man. Could you check out my code? I fucked it up and now can't get the buttons to perform the separate functions. Check it out

<!DOCTYPE>
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="testyle.css">
</head>
<body>

<div id="buttonNav">
<ul>
<li><a class="button" href="#">Home</a></li>
<li><a class="button" href="#">Links</a></li>
<li><a class="button" href="#">About</a></li>
<li><a class="button" href="#">Social</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

<div id="left">
<h1>Content Panel (Javascripts)</h2>

</p>

</div>

<div id="test">

</div>

<div id="center">
<h2>Center panel</h2>

</p>

</div>

<div id="test">

</div>

<script>

$("#left").css("color", "blue").css("border", "solid 2px pink").animate({margin:"300px"});

});
});

$(button).click(function(){
$(this).parent().hide(); {

});
});

</script>

</body>

</html>
>>
Are Ruby on Rails and Django easier to learn than Express/Node? I know a little Python and I'm trying to teach myself full stack web dev so I can get a jr web dev job. I'm running into a lot of problems with MEAN stack because of the clusterfuck of modules and frameworks, and the fact that I don't know JS only compounds my troubles. RoR and Django seem much more straight forward, at least at first glance?
>>
>make million dollars with web dev
>write book on how to make million dollars with web dev
>make 10k royalties a month

Fake it till you make it.
>>
>>52841753
Django might be good for ya.
>>
>>52841825
Tbh I'm leaning toward Rails because the job market seems much stronger than Django. Realistically, would leaning and using Rails prevent me from creating something that could only be done in Node?
>>
>>52841753
Choose what makes most sense to you. Django is a good start since you know Python.
But you should learn js if you're going fullstack.
>>
>>52841912
I plan to learn js eventually but I just can't understand how everything ties together in the MEAN stack, let alone how to make anything with it. RoR and Django seem much simpler in this regard.
>>
If you're a Jr web dev and you aren't spending your time learning Java and/or .NET you need to stop what you're doing right now. Learn the languages that dominate enterprise before you spend time learning the trendy languages.
>>
>>52841870
Doesn't really matter what you use, but rails can handle less requests per second than node if I remember right.
>>
File: node.jpg (77 KB, 500x656) Image search: [Google]
node.jpg
77 KB, 500x656
>>52841930
This helped me with the basics, senpai
>>
File: images.jpg (123 KB, 822x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
123 KB, 822x1080
>>52841930

I would avoid that as an intro. It's good to learn how to be organized. jQuery is on the majority of the web, so I would learn that too.
>>
>>52841739
Well, I messed up by typing
$(button)
, it should've been
$("button")

If you want to differentiate between buttons, you need to use more intelligent querys (hence, jquery!). You can do a few things. You can select by id, class, attribute, tag, and I think a few other things.

So, let's take an example DOM:

<div id="parent1" class="wide" height="100px">
<p id="child">Text</p>
</div>

<div id="parent2" class="wide" height="200px">
<p id="child">More Text</p>
</div>

and the css is:

#parent1{
background: blue;
color: white;
}

#parent2{
background: red;
color: red;
}

.wide{
width: 2000px;
}

#child{
font-weight: bold;
}

So we've got a few things here. First, we've got 2 id's: parent1 and parent1. An ID should be unique to the tag you're using. Would you like it if someone else had your social security number? Then he could apply to jobs in your name and fuck with your taxes and shit! Fuck that. Anyways, if you give something an id, make sure it's the only thing with that id. If you need to assign the same css attributes to multiple divs, that's what a class is for! in css, the # tag corresponds to using the id="" attribute in html. So if you have #parent{...} in css, that means that every html element with id="parent" will have those css properties. the same goes for classes! I'm sure you know this, but the notation is important to jquery.

if you want to select the first div, called parent1, you would use
$("#parent1")
. Notice how the query uses the # from css? not a coincidence! similarly, if you want to select a class using jquery, you can do
$(".wide")
, and that will select both divs, since they're both of the "wide" class (very wide as it turns out! 2000px! wow!)

Now you notice that each div has <p> tag in it called "child". "Wait a minute anon! didn't you say not to use the same id twice?"

(cont...)
>>
>>52842203
(cont)

Excellent observational skills, anon! I DID make two <p> tags with the same id!

Well, this is a fundamental part of structured programming called scope! Despite the fact that they're both "child" ids, each div only has one DOM with the tag of "child". This is because you can COMBINE queries!

For example, if I wanted to select all <p> tags with the id "child", I would simply do
$("#child")
, and that would get EVERYTHING with that id.

But what if I only wanted to get the child of the first div, with the id "parent1"? you COMBINE queries. Simply add a space!

$("#parent1 #child")

This will go to #parent1, and the it will look for all tags with the id #child, and select them. You can, in fact, do this in CSS as well!

"But anon, what does this have to do with my original question! I wanted to know about making JS buttons do shit!"

Excellent inquiry young jedi knight. Remember how you used

$("button")

? well that selected every <button> tag. If you query words with the # or . notation, it query tags. So if you want all <p> tags, it's
$("p")

etc.

So if you want buttons to do different things, you need to give them id tags! take for example this:

<button id="b1">Nummer 1</button>
<button id="b2">Nummer 2</button>
<button id="b3">Nummer 3</button>

and the Javascript is:

$("#b1").click(function(){
console.log("Slovakia je cislo jedna!"); // or "Slovakia is #1!"
});

$("#b2").click(function(){
console.log("Cesko je cislo dva!"); // or "Czech Republic is #2!"
});

$("#b3").click(function(){
console.log("jQuery is great!");
});

So you now see that the first function selects the first button since it has the id "b1", etc.!

this is how you differentiate between DOMs!

(cont...)
>>
>>52842301 (You)
As a side note, you can select element based on other attributes! using # and . is shorthand for another select: [name="value"]

so if you have an element like:

<div width="50"></div>
<p width="50"></p>
<span width="25"></span>
<input width="50"></input>

And you wanted to get everything with width "50". It would be hard to select some of these because they're different tags! you could do
$("div, p, input")
but that would be too verbose, you could select unwanted divs, p's, and inputs, AND you might be missing some other tags that are width="50"; you'd have to search your entire code for that damned element!

Fortunately, the CSS gods have given us the [name="value"] selector.

the first part, "name" is the name of the attribute. in this case, it is "width". the "value" part is the value of the attribute! in this case "50". So to intelligently select our desired DOMs, we do:

$('[width="50"]')

notice that I used ' to open the string.
make sure that if you have double quotes ( " ) in your string, you open that string with single quotes, otherwise it will cause unintended consequences! Javascript doesn't make any distinction between the two. you could also do it the other way:

$("[width='50']")

it doesn't matter; just use different quotes inside your string than outside your string!

(historical note: more strictly typed languages like C make the distinction between ' and ". single quotes denote a single character, like
'f'
and double quotes denote a whole STRING of character like
"C is rad!"
)

so now you the basic selectors! Always remember, though: if something can be done more simply in CSS, USE CSS. jQuery is a magical tool, but make sure what you want to do can't be done in CSS or HTML first!
>>
how do you make quick & dirty html5/css/JS mockups/skeletons/...?
>>
File: 1412889380422.jpg (2 MB, 1380x2000) Image search: [Google]
1412889380422.jpg
2 MB, 1380x2000
>>52842421
jsfiddle
>>
>>52842437
I mean, do you use libraries for quick prototyping, programs to design pages, etc.?
>>
>>52842454
Oh. I don't know many libraries or frameworks. Most of what I do is raw HTML and jquery. If I have an idea, i normally just jump into it and do it.
>>
Why is the microsoft stack so complicated?

FUCK MVC 6 and EF7. FUCK the API. FUCK ME
>>
What do you actually use javascript for in front end development? Like, I know a bit about how to use it but don't know how to apply it.
>>
File: 1454779558973.gif (3 MB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
1454779558973.gif
3 MB, 390x293
what's the difference between jquery and js? isn't jquery just an easier way of doing js? so why not just learn jquery ahead of js?
>>
>>52842992
jquery is just a library witten in js
some people prefer to write in straight js or use a different library
>>
>>52842845
afaiu: animations, to manage events (click on a button, ask the user if he's sure about the input), etc.

>>52842992
afaiu, jquery is a way to make the browsers
>>
Just starting webdev, for both demonstrating to employers and if going freelance, when making a site, what % of sites need to be responsive? Since learning about it I expected to see a lot of sites using it and I had just never noticed, but in reality so many good sites don't seem to bother with it.
>>
>>52834866
Yes since any serious tech company will be using bitbucket
>>
>>52842992
jQuery is a library written in JavaScript (a language). It provides for a number of common things that web developers commonly use (like selecting things in the DOM).

A few lesser-known libraries that are really appreciated by people that know of them include
- underscore.js
- lodash.js (like low-dash)

both characteristically use _ as the namespace (and they're not typically used together).
>>
File: ideas.jpg (78 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
ideas.jpg
78 KB, 800x533
I'm making some sites for my portfolio but don't know what to make them about.
Does it really matter what type of sites i make to get a job or will the employer be looking just for design and functionality?

Already have a portfolio site done, what are some other sites i can make?
>>
>>52842203
>>52842203
>>52842301

Thanks man. Literally took notes.
>>
>>52843497
I think what would be more interesting is a website or webapplication that shows your knowledge of several technical aspects, like ajax with json, css animations, backend administration, databases, just to name a few. A proper webdeveloper can do more than just fling together an html/css website that looks flashy. As for selection of language, pick the one you like best and go with it. An employer will be looking more at your general understanding of things and your level of thinking, and having matching knowledge would be just a plus. In most companies you'll have to learn whatever tool it is they are using, as there are many and it cannot be expected of you to know them all.
>>
how do you get started with web development, I've learned HTML and CSS but what else do I need to know before I can take actual work either freelance or job? Can anyone point me in the direction, no need to explain everything just give me a word or a link and I'll get to learning it.
>>
>>52841753
I recommend Flask.

The problem with high level frameworks like Rails and Django, to me, is that they're so heavily abstracted it can feel like they're limiting your freedom at times.

You won't have that problem with Flask. It's simple and straightforward. It's not as heavily abstracted as Rails and Django are. It's a good introduction to MVC
>>
>>52836822
Why use the \ to escape them?

Search for
test" && rm "-f something
>>
>>52843940
It doesn't hurt to know PHP and JavaScript.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (217 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.jpg
217 KB, 1920x1080
Anyone know how I can achieve something like this?
>>
What annoys me with Django is that there is a million ways to do something and there is no consensus on what is the best way
>>
>>52844783
make a list that's hidden by default, show on hover?
not that hard.
>>
>>52840470
You should at least know enough to
a) deploy your results on the customer's server
and
b) install Wordpress.
>>
>>52844819
They all hide with a toggle, how can I make just a single one hide?
>>
Is there any good way of making divs form into a pyramid?

[....] Heading 1 [....]
[Heading2][....][Heading 3]
and so on?
>>
>>52845756
What? You mean indent?
>>
File: image.png (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
33 KB, 300x300
>>52845786
>>
>>52845809
http://codepen.io/anon/pen/EPdGeK
>>
>>52845756
<h>'s + <center> should do the trick?
>>
>>52845865
><center>
>2016

what the fuck.
>>
>>52833238
>Laravel a shit edition.
It's apparently the slowest web framework, but what else is wrong?
>inb4 PHP
>>
>>52845864
That's exactly how I wanted it, however it does not seem to work on my site. I do not know why...And yes I have changed properties because container and box already existed
>>
>>52846056
Do you have rows?

>>52845809
Like here for example, the first row has box 1, the second has box2 and box3, the third will have box4, box5, and box6.
>>
>>52846056
>>52846158
It works now, thank you anon!
>>
>>52846158
>>52846170
I could just remove the <div class="box"> with an image of the same size, right?
>>
>>52846176
yes
>>
mother-fuck Drupal and the shitty horse it rode in on

that's all I wanted to say
>>
>>52841870

node can do sockets easier than rails but that's about it.

for regular websites both are fine.

the thing is that if you're using a front-end framework like Angular, you don't need a lot of the stuff in Rails, so node + express tends to be a quicker/easier choice (basically, you only need an API server).
>>
>>52833542
Flask with SocketIO
>>
Wordpress newbie here.

I have host. I have domain. I have pointed DNS to new host. I have "installed wordpress 4.2.2". I have downloaded .zip theme.

Now, when I try to install, I got a "missing style.css" or "missing index.html" message.

I found those files and put them in the first directory, then it installed, but missing header and slider.

I have uploaded the theme to dropcanvas, can anyone take a look? this is without re-arrange style.css and index.html

http://dropcanvas.com/#7NQEps42WnDgOe
>>
Is there a good way to generate fake load on the server to see how scales under pressure?
>>
>>52844985
Target the ID of that specific element then modify its visibility with JQuery.
Or use the :hover property in CSS.
>>
>>52844801
Read the docs. There is definitely a right way too do things, but it depends on what you're trying to accomplish
>>
Best webhost for python? I only need it for month at most (bulk of that time is just testing, 1 week is for actual usage for my thesis defense)
>>
>>52846316
your file sounds harmful.
>>
Anyone use things like Docker for their VPS? Is it worth the effort?
>>
Symfony > Laravel
>>
>>52846709

really not helpful desu
>>
Am I the only asshole stuck with codeigniter?
>>
What should I use to build my personal website? I'm thinking SSG. Jekyll is what I used years ago but surely something better is out there now?
>>
>>52847122

t_b_h now wordfilters to desu?

fucking gay.
>>
>>52844783
This just gave me an idea for my next project
>>
how do I upload the entire theme into wordpress?

so far it's just uploading a few basics
>>
>>52847588
You upload the zip file?
>>
>>52847618

I did that but there's plenty missing, or I have to manually activate somehow .. :(

Iwas hoping it would upload the entire theme and I could edit it
>>
What are general security holes on a website? Is JS a security problem? HTML/CSS bugs or security problems?
>>
do i need to remove event listeners (on dom elements) after i'm sure they won't fire again
or is the memory impact negligible
>>
I will paypal someone who knows all about themes and wordpress who will give me 1hr of tech support $15, any takers?
>>
>>52833542

you can't really beat node with socket io for sockets made simple
>>
>>52847719
what's the short story version of your problem?
>>
>>52847652
link to the theme.
is it compatible with your wordpress version?
what does the manual say?
>>
>>52847698
Accepting user input and apache/server configuration.
>>
Yow guys. I have never touch web programming before. I have two questions.

1. What is the most simple way to make website (database + GUI)? I was thinking of using Bootstrap + Laravel + MangoDB. What do you think?

2. What do you guys thinnk of using HaXe to create website? I have been using HaXe for 6 months now to create some simple game.
>>
>>52847744

trying to do my wordpress .. failing

i uploaded theme, not working

>>52847748

http://dropcanvas.com/#7NQEps42WnDgOe
http://themes.muffingroup.com/?theme=rocco
>>
File: html5-websockets.jpg (31 KB, 300x157) Image search: [Google]
html5-websockets.jpg
31 KB, 300x157
Does everybody use websockets instead of comet now?
>>
>>52848025
why not contact their support?

not going to wait 20 minutes on a malware ridden site to download a theme.
>>
>>52848025
you even have a full documentation, did you even read it?
they explain step by step how you do everything, even uploading and installing.
>>
>>52842421
anyone else?
>>
>>52847800
>1.
this looks very simple to me:
http://cwbuecheler.com/web/tutorials/2013/node-express-mongo/
https://blog.udemy.com/node-js-tutorial/

>2.
you can make websites in haxe... the problems, IMO, are:
- it generates pages dinamically
- it keeps eating CPU
which are things I REALLY dislike...
>>
>>52848129

i've read parts of it but i'm concerned i'm wasting my time because i am not sure I have installed the theme correctly
>>
>>52848322
Thanks for answer.

What are the differences of using Node and another PHP framework?
>>
>>52848592
going out on a limb here and assuming you are on the right wordpress, but check that.

is the theme not appearing as an option in your wordpress, or is it there but not displaying correctly when chosen?
>>
File: 1428663286306.jpg (273 KB, 920x662) Image search: [Google]
1428663286306.jpg
273 KB, 920x662
>get a job doing asp.net
>company uses web forms
>>
I have a "save changes" button in my web application, which sends a request to the server to save all the modification in a "dummy table" into the real table. How can I make it so the user doesn't spam the button? Only making the button inactive seems to dangerous.
>>
I want to create a big "Slider" on my website, like a lot of websites have. Just 4 or 5 images where the user can slide left or right or pick which slide from buttons at the bottom.

Is it best to make this in CSS3 or JS, I know some people disable JS but older browsers don't have CSS3 compatability
>>
File: 1352489419659.jpg (69 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1352489419659.jpg
69 KB, 268x265
>>52848704

yes, i have own domain, own hosting, etc.

the theme is appearing but for example, I had to manually activate the "slider", so what else do I need to activate

tfw retarded
>>
>>52825595

Well, it's giving me good money so far. I didn't knew making sites is so easy and give so much back.
>>
>>52848700
honestly, I don't know much about webdev... even less about PHP or node.js, so I can't comment on that
>>
>>52848771
ah! yeah i totally had some issues with stuff like that. honestly i would look at their theme demo page, see what they refer to (ie sliders, any other fun little animation nonsense) and then poke around for how to activate.

that's how i ended up getting the hang of where things might end up. sometimes things are just hidden and stupid, like theme makers not including what shortcode you might need for their email form to even appear.
>>
>>52846706
Digitalocean
>>
File: cover.jpg (131 KB, 500x656) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
131 KB, 500x656
This any good?
>>
File: 1N2IsbV.png (329 KB, 851x477) Image search: [Google]
1N2IsbV.png
329 KB, 851x477
i have an idea for a browser extension but i'm not sure if i'm good enough to implement it in the most efficient way
the chrome extension apis are pretty confusing
>>
>>52849407
Open source it, and I'll try to help you out
>>
>>52847207
bump
>>
>>52848736
Anotha bump
>>
>>52848736
>>52849616
guess putting a captcha or something could help, since it would slow down the user. I don't see any way of doing it programmatically.

>>52849572
wondering about this myself, too
>>
>>52848736
block any other requests while it's processing the first, that's how ASP.NET does it when using server side sessions.
>>
>>52848736
check if any changes are actually made to whatever the user is saving before touching the database. Editing things and spamming is more tiring, that is if they do it manually.

if the user saves >10 times in let's say 10 seconds then start asking them to fill out captcha for some time.
>>
>>52844490
Well sometimes it does hurt to know PHP
>>
>>52848736
>Only making the button inactive seems to dangerous
Why so? Are you afraid of a web developer disabling your disable and spamming it?
>>
>>52848736
Standard practice is making the button "unclickable" while the request is processing, or showing a spinner that blocks user input.
>>
>>52847718
negligible. It's most likely implemented as a single memory address pointing to your function.
>>
>>52849915
>>52849942
you faggot(s) know anything about HTTP and security?
>>
>>52849977
Clearly you don't. What does disabling a button have to do with security ? It doesn't leave the user vulnerable to any XSS, or CSRF attacks. It simply disables a button to prevent the user from making multiple concurrent HTTP requests for the same resource.
>>
>>52849977
That's not a security issue (unless your database call is so extremely expensive that it's a target for DOS)
>>
>>52850025
I also would not consider a DOS attack a "security" issue.
>>
>>52850042
Yeah, but it's the closest thing I could think of that would relate to security. Like, loosely "a threat" of sorts.
>>
>>52850018
>>52850025
from what I understand, he wants to stop the user spamming the SERVER. disabling a buttong won't help, you can still forge requests from, say, a python script
and it could be a security issue if you have a race condition, for example. see http://sakurity.com/blog/2015/05/21/starbucks.html
I'm a fucking NEET and I know this...
>>
Check ip then store timestamp if it does not exist. Compare timestamps and if less than say 30 minutes then do nothing, else run your query.

I did this on one of my websites because people were spamming posts.
>>
>>52850150
>>52850150
All he said was "How can I make it so the user doesn't spam the button?". This makes me think that the problem is related to the front-end of the website (where the button is), and not related to DOS attacks. I certainly wouldn't assume it based on the way the question was phrased.

You're inferring a lot about his system from his pretty sparse question.
>>
>>52848769
Depends if you care about IE 9 and below (or Opera Mini)
http://caniuse.com/#feat=input-range

I'd vote CSS (or rather HTML5) unless your demographics say otherwise

>>52850150
The reason I said
>Why so? Are you afraid of a web developer disabling your disable and spamming it?
Transferring data from a dummy table to the real table doesn't have a race condition security problem. It doesn't matter how many times they save if the modification done to the dummy table are safe. Anyways, the protection should just be on the database and it's locking scheme, use of transactions for multiple updates, and rolling back in case of an error. Rarely should you care if a malicious user slams your web endpoints.
>>
>>52849942
This is the way to go, I've had several cases of users double-clicking submit buttons.

If it's for anti-spam like some seem to think they a captcha would solve that.
>>
>>52847278
>2015
>using desu, cuck, baka, or senpai
desu baka senpai, cuck
>>
File: 1435702789759.jpg (45 KB, 652x362) Image search: [Google]
1435702789759.jpg
45 KB, 652x362
>niggas talking about security issues on their never-going-to-be-visited sites

>implying that anyone will ever try to DDOS your server

>implying anyone will ever try to hack into your database
>>
Phew lad, my question seemed to have sparked quite the discussion.

For the record, I want to make it inactive even when using a bash scripts or whatever. Blocking any http calls should work.

Thanks y'all
>>
>>52850369

Cheers for that link, very handy. I think I will go with CSS as I am pretty sure IE is pretty unused in the UK and it's a responsive site so I will probably just disable the slider when it gets to mobile res anyway.

Now I just need to find a good slider tutorial.
>>
>>52850515
So because it might not be Google, they should skip out on good practices is what you're saying?
>>
>>52850531
Blocking a client from making requests while the server processes is usually not good practice.

1. It means your sessions need to be sticky, or otherwise you will need to store the fact that the request is processing. This could lead to some concurrency problems of it's not done correctly, and it adds a lot of additional complexity into the system.

2. Is the resource behind an auth mechanism ? If not, you would need to tie the user to their IP address which would cause a whole host of other problems.

What exactly are you concerned about them doing if they go outside of your UI to make requests ? IMO a user that does this is forfeiting his/her right to a good experience. Your backend should make it impossible for them to do anything other than ruin their own experience anyways.
>>
>>52850731
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
>>
>>52850771
Yes
>>
>>52850515
you give webdevs a bad name tbqh

even if your site will only ever be visited by one person a year, you should practice good standards. I doubt any blind person will ever visit my site, but it also allows me to practice some accessibility standards.

Doing things just so people can notice you is pretty desperate and lizard like tbqhhhh
>>
>>52850515
People cared enough to write a vpn spam bot with random wording just to spam my site. None of their links could make it through though. My scrubbing skills too strong.
>>
>>52850783
>Doing things just so people can notice you
That's literally what webdevs do. You should check that obscure repository, github.
>>
>>52850889
You are incorrect, my friend. People cared enough to write a vpn spam bot with random wording just to spam ANY site. Askimet was built to counter this.
>>
>>52850733
No auth mechanism, just cookie-based sessions.

The idea is that the user makes some modifications to the data he uploaded. These changes will be saved in a copy of the real data, and when the user clicks on the save button the copy will replace the real data.
So saving changes might take a little bit of time, because the old data needs to be updated and the copy needs to be removed. Spamming this operation might lead to some db problems.
>>
>>52850515
I used to have a couple of personal 'dropplets' with digital ocean and both got DDoS'd after only a few weeks of being active. I followed the basic guide on how to make them more secure in their site but they still got nuked. Maybe it was Digital Ocean's garbage service fault, though.
>>
>>52850977
Then your problem is not really with the button at all. You need to wrap your query in a transaction to ensure that updating the resource is an atomic operation.
>>
>>52851029
Now without buzzwords anon.
>>
>>52851087
Genuinely curious. Which of these words is a buzzword to you ?

Is it possible that you are just uneducated ?
>>
>>52850902
No it's not "literally what webdevs do" pajeet.
>>
>>52851145
atomic operation, "wrapping" a query, I guess? I am mostly retarded, but also not a native speaker so that might be it as well. I appreciate the help though anon.
>>
>>52850966
Completely custom and handcoded site.

They kept reformating links in an attempt to beat the scrubber and a competitor was "linking" their own site.

99% sure it was the "competitor" that had 0 traffic.
>>
Does a Jr front end need to know about design patterns?
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 544x43) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7 KB, 544x43
love this meme
>>
File: me.jpg (55 KB, 247x312) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
55 KB, 247x312
>type (reject, resolve) instead of (resolve, reject)
>>
<a href='#' class='tp-button red small'>Email us</a>

How do I add a link to this line of code? Newfag here trying to do his first wordpress site.

The link will be an email address that opens up their email client
>>
>>52852016
replace # with mailto:[email protected]
>>
>>52852055

Cheers bro.

Now i'm trying to do a "Call us" button. How do I code it so the phone number at least brings up Facetime or Skype or whatever their phone client is?
>>
File: 1452909465497.jpg (45 KB, 331x331) Image search: [Google]
1452909465497.jpg
45 KB, 331x331
I really need help - I get hardly any visitors from web searching at all. I did all the standard SEO procedures, like setting up Google Webmaster console, submitting my website to directories and search engines, creating and fetching a sitemap, keyword research, meta tags and optimal keyword density. Yet, I get 3 visitors a day from web searching at most, and the site has been up for almost 2 months now. Most visitors come from referral for some reason.

What am I doing wrong? How to (significantly) increase my search engine traffic?
>>
>>52852097
Advertisement campaign with a good PR company.
>>
>>52852097
Probably bad content, too small target market, and/or too much competition.

I have never had to SEO, so something is wrong if you do and have no results.
>>
>>52852278
Well, my bounce rate is small and the returning visitor rate is high (over 60%), so I doubt that it's because of the content.
My niche has medium to low competition (spent a while analyzing it before entering), and it isn't exactly small.

>>52852149
What's the most effective type of advertising? Is it true that e-mail marketing is the most effective by far?
>>
Does it really matter if my website looks like every other bootstrap site out there? It theme that important?
>>
>>52851241

no

but you should know about writing tests for JS
>>
>>52852455
If competition is low and keywords are frequently searched then you should be PR1 and pulling in the numbers.

Check the people beating you in pagerank and see what they are doing.
It might be site age and lack of content affecting PR.

I think websites that give new content to crawlers on visits rank higher.
>>
>>52853285
Depends what you are going for.

If you want to be a frontend web developer, and end up using premade themes/bootstrap all the time, then no one will take you seriously.

If you are a backend web developer, and just need a theme to represent your content, then sure, its no problem, but it will still look like every other themed site.
>>
>>52853285
Not really. Normies dont know.
>>
>>52853544
I'm just making a site for some ad revenue.
>>
>>52854253
I remember a Google update that penalized websites with similar templates in pagerank.

Use skeleton and make your own. It takes like 30 minutes.
>>
besides "shaping up with angular" and egghead videos, what other resources are recommended to learn angularjs? i know its quite easy to find topics or articles linking to good resources, like "https://github.com/jmcunningham/AngularJS-Learning" <-- for example, but im asking basically because i don't know if tutoriales made for 1.2.x or 1.3.x are still usable
>>
How the fuck does Google analytics work? It's a fucking cluster fuck of a fuck. I can't even see how much visits I get daily. Fuck this shit man.
>>
I'm going to stream web dev every day until I get a dev job. I hope it makes me actually try to do things.

Bit worried about learning Laravel though.
>>
How important is a relevant domain name? Should it have the keyword I am targeting in it? Is it okay if it doesn't end it .com?
>>
>>52834905
Even Oprah?
>>
>>52854537
Can be relevant, far better to be creative and vaguely relevant.
>>
Posted in a previous thread, this is an update of the design.
Ditched the old style, made it flat.
It talks to the LDAP backend pretty well, and it can display users and groups at this point.
>>
>>52854528
Send link
>>
>>52854528
Would love to watch you get mindfucked trying to figure out the bloated mess that is Laravel. Stream it papi.
>>
>>52854900
/skobee

Starting tomorrow night.

>>52855232
I've never used MVC. The laracasts guy gave me permission to play his videos so that should help. Nice guy.
>>
>>52854436
Recommend any templates? Right now I'm just using a grid system that changes the number of columns to fit on screen.
>>
>>52855475
I prefer to make my own. Not because I'm good at it, but because I will never be better if I don't.
>>
>>52855551
Would just like to hop in here and say this; I've been browsing sites for inspiration (for project ideas) and I've seen quite a few websites by developers. You'd be surprised how many of them look like shit, but if you check their portfolio you'll see stuff that blows their personal site out of the water. A few of them even worked on sites for huge companies.
>>
is wamp the best way to set up a local apache/php server on windows?
anything that works similarly to linux terminal?
used to setting up virtualhosts via that for development, but now ive had to rely on windows more than linux for work.
>>
>>52856180
I always liked xampp myself.
>>
>>52837507
Yeah, if you want 'this' to not point to the constructor function object.
>>
New web dev here. How long did it take you guys to go from nothing to writing decent pages?
>>
Been hearing the term unit testing being thrown randomly, but I can't understand what exactly does it mean. As far as I understand it's about making code to test part of your code?
>>
>>52856447
not very long. my bottleneck was/is that im not super creative so if tasked to make a layout from scratch by myself i still struggle, however if i get handed a basic sketch/photoshop layout its not very hard at all to turn that into a finished page.
>>
>>52856505
>>52856447
basic pages without much advanced interactivity i mean, took me pretty long to get comfortable enough with javascript to write more intricate web apps that did more than very basic interactivity
>>
>>52856498
http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-unit-testing-what-is-unit-testing--wp-25728

It's not hard to google
>>
File: 1412889468760.png (521 KB, 907x1269) Image search: [Google]
1412889468760.png
521 KB, 907x1269
Limit yet?
>>
File: 1412889375368.jpg (70 KB, 500x690) Image search: [Google]
1412889375368.jpg
70 KB, 500x690
안녕히가세요, /wdg/
>>
File: ut9r534095.jpg (59 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ut9r534095.jpg
59 KB, 300x300
>mfw having to resort to padding portfolio by building shitty bootstrap themes because cant into ideas for unique web apps
>>
>>52836473
query strings instead of actual form submitting
>>
reposting here.

I'm toying with the CSS of 4chan for some font tweaks. Sorry if this isn't programmy enough for the thread....

Is there a way to make it so that inline previews of quoted posts don't double-up on % scaling for the font?

like, I had a font-size 130% for .postMessage, when I would click links to expand them inline, the inlined post would be bigger than the original post.
>>
>>52857787
fuck it, I'll just use px.
>>
>inb4 404
bump
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.