[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you want to use Linux? What's stopping you from using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 255x255
Why do you want to use Linux?
What's stopping you from using Linux full time?
If you already use Linux full time what was the last thing you needed to sort out before you changed over permanently?
What were your biggest gripes with your last non Linux OS that prompted the change over?
>>
>>52697953
i want a stable operating system that doesn't require me to ever go into a command line
>>
>>52697953
makes more sense, is more logical
wouldn't be able to do my job without it
the company I work for
N/A
>>
I have 2 laptops and a desktop. I only have Windows on my desktop, both my laptops exclusively run linux. I only use Windows on my desktop to play games occasionally, maybe a couple days a month or so. I basically treat my desktop PC with Windows installed on it like a game console.
>>
>>52697953
xsoldier is kinda laggy in a vm
>>
I don't really want to all that much honestly. I'm a layman and too lazy of a NEET to read the books and RTFM to gain a full understanding of it works. I only have Debian on a VM and a spare laptop to mess arpund with.
>>
File: image.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
i want an unstable operating system that forces me to use the command line
yes im an arch user
>>
>why do you want to use linux

less annoying than the alternatives

>what's stopping you fulltime

literally nothing, it's my daily driver. I do have a mac around and one netbook with a windows partition, but those only get booted up under very specific circumstances.

>already use linux full time, what did you need to sort out

literally nothing. There was some chinese win-only software to convert roms for my GBA flashcart, but I figured out how to run a win 2000 virtualbox and that's all sorted out now.

>biggest gripes that prompted changeover:

old laptop I was using as primary at the time got a virus or some shit. sticker had worn down to the point where no longer readable, and it would have been for >vista anyways. Didn't feel like shelling out $100 to be >allowed to use my computer or delving in to the murky malware waters of windows pirating so I went balls deep and overwrote that fucker with noobuntu (I've since switched).
>>
>>52697953
>Why do you want to use Linux?
It's good stuff
>What's stopping you from using Linux full time?
Nothing, already do
>If you already use Linux full time what was the last thing you needed to sort out before you changed over permanently?
Screen tearing. Fixed with a good compositor (compton)
>What were your biggest gripes with your last non Linux OS that prompted the change over?
Windows is nice, but felt too locked down. There is too much emphasis on point-and-click configuration, and the recent addition of PowerShell still isn't as good as unix-style shell programs.
>>
>>52697953
because pretty much everything about windows is designed to combat the user
fucking games thats pretty much it
>If you already use Linux full time what was the last thing you needed to sort out before you changed over permanently?
N/A
>What were your biggest gripes with your last non Linux OS that prompted the change over?
every single thing about it i cant stand windows ifs tortureware
>>
>>52698031
>daily driver

SHUT THE FUCK UP GO FUCK A GOAT YOU HILL BILLY
>>
>>52697953

I want something that works for me.

Nothing, already am.

Exclusivity BS around games, drivers, etc.

A central fucking repo for installing 99% of things I need for my job/daily life.
>>
>>52698031

FOUND THE REDDITOR!
>>
>>52698107

>hillbillies
>computers
>linux

>hillbilly as two separate words

I think I'm falling behind on my memes here
>>
>>52698130
only hill living goat fucking sister raping shits say "daily driver"
>>
>>52698147
>>52698127
>>52698107

You do realise you are playing the part of "the only cancer ITT" don't you?
>>
>>52698031
>it's my daily driver
jesus fuck I hate reddit cunts like you
I bet you use that "its my favorite flavor of linux" phrase too
An OS isn't a fucking car and a distro isn't a fucking icecream
>>
>>52697953
Because Windows doesn't give me any choice and Windows 10 is so buggy it feels like beta software. It's like the Arch of the wangblows world.

I already use Linux full time, only briefly visiting my Windows 10 partition when I'm in the mood for one of the few windows-only games I have that doesn't WINE well.

I didn't hang in between at all when I switched, I dove in headfirst out of necessity.

The lag and endless swapping. When I switched I had a 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3100+ w/ 512MB RAM shared with the onboard Nvidia GeForce graphics. I finally ran out of patience. Using Linux (w/ Openbox and tint2) was like night and day. Never looked back.
>>
>>52697953
Because if more users, more better apps, yada yada.
the temptation of windows only steam games
things not breaking. swap, repositories, packages, etc
windows is a steaming pile of dung, especially on machines older that 2-3 years.
>>
Because Micro$haft are a bunch of cucks who insist on pushing an insecure, spyware-ridden OS.

A number of things, namely application compatibility, video driver performance, poor high DPI support, and a lack of consistency between distributions. Also, I don't know it nearly as well as I know Windoze, unfortunately.

N/A since I don't use it full time

See above.
>>
File: 1449902946750.jpg (104 KB, 1141x790) Image search: [Google]
1449902946750.jpg
104 KB, 1141x790
>>
>>52697968
try suicide
>>
File: respectful nods.gif (2 MB, 350x490) Image search: [Google]
respectful nods.gif
2 MB, 350x490
>>52698668
...or an ubuntu/debian based distro.
>>
>>52697953
because i like choice and it's comfy
gaymes, once a month i boot windows
-
nothing really, i just wanted to test it out and i took the time a few days before win10 launched because i wanted to install that for some reason. started with testing a few distros out (all major ones+trisquel), used LMDE for a few weeks before going full debian.
>>
>>52697953
Because it's super cool

Nothing, I already use linux full time.

Needed to get drivers working for gtx 980

I was using OS X and ... hmm.... I don't know.
>>
It's a decent environment for home servers that does what I want it to
The software I use daily and software I like to use doesn't run well, plus windows has better support for my hardware (2xR9 290s... yeah, enough said). I also play games.
I don't use Linux on my desktop machine
None really but I like package managers, it's not a real gripe but I wish Windows had one
>>
File: 1449325198810.jpg (39 KB, 690x610) Image search: [Google]
1449325198810.jpg
39 KB, 690x610
Because I don't want to use Windows or build a Hackintosh.
I do use it full time though, at work and at home.
Had to buy a new printer because fucking Canon doesn't bother writing working drivers.
The way Windows does updates, scaling and font rendering, also the botnet.
>>
Full time Linux user here. Windows 10 happened, that's why.
>>
>>52697953
i'm sick and tired of Mac OS X and want something new
can't dual boot it on mac because of the stupid EFI rules implemented
Windows kept going slower day by day
>>
>>52697953

some nokia suit, win hard mode plants vs zombies, pr0n performed better in old pentium4, ~2007 poor as fuck.
virus, but I always loved the ideas behind linux, I meant you can choose vm, debloat the whole OS to the minimum, I knew about linux in the late 90's but it was nearly imposible install without internet in my house, then became live distros and my live chaged, literaly, currently make a living out of linux and free software.
>>
NO FUCKING DRIVERS.
>>
>>52701484
*literally
*changed
>>
>>52701504
Then change over to GNU/Linux. :-)
>>
>>52701533
That's what I'm talking about
>>
File: giphy(2).gif (800 KB, 251x206) Image search: [Google]
giphy(2).gif
800 KB, 251x206
>>52701540
>>
>>52697953
See the last point
Some programs are not there. Gimp sucks, no offense and I payed for 4 photoshop licenses and use it everyday. Money is not an issue.
I kinda use debian to get a feeling for the graphical environment. All my servers (10) are running it too but headless.
When Windows 7 stops working I really need to switch. But until then I need an solution for photoshop. Gimp is no solution and Wine doesn't satify, really. The Windowsfuture sucks dicks because the whole system saves everything I do online away from me without me asking and even without actually having an windows-account. This is unbearable.
>>
File: 1453935176704.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1453935176704.webm
3 MB, 640x360
The thing that made me go over to Linux was how windows 7 dealt with permissions in the program files folder. If I installed something there like I used to then the programs did not always work due to permissions and it was impossible to change the permissions on the program files. It is the same reason that I went to android from ios. I want to decide for myself what I want to do with my own equipment. I don't want to let corporations control me like that, I wanted freedom over my own property. Windows 7 was so shitty that I thought "it cannot be worse to try out Linux. My brother has tried and enjoyed it, then I tried Linux. First dual booted it, but after dual booting for a year without really using Windows, I just removed windows. Only use Windows at work because I must.
>>
>>52701655
I forgot to add: Windows 7, currently no updates at all. No updates for anything. Everything must work out of the box. like 6 Years now on 7 and no problems at all. Not even one virus or one bluescreen. (Actually I use one antivirus and update that but that is just some last resort option to tell me something is wrong because common sense works great)
>>
>>52701655
do you work with adobe every day? if yes everything makes sense but if you only need it occasionally you could dual-boot.
>>
>>52698218
That is what it is called, you dumb winbaby. It's technical language, not everyone speak your teenage baby gaymer lingo. We are adults, therefore we use established technical jargon like "daily driver" and "flavour of Linux"
>>
>>52701734
Working every day with it, so yes it kinda is a must. I am sure that I could do nice things with gimp if I take the time to get into it but currently photoshop is the way to go for me.
I am already dual booting.
>>
I do, I use it full time for everything. Only garbage thing is I need to keep an OS X vm around to manage my phone c
>>
>>52701800
what exactly do you do with PS? can it be done with krita?
>>
I only boot into Windows for C&C 3 and MOWAS2, I 'm playing Red Dragon on Ubuntu though.
>>
>>52702043
Sorry I don't make that up but I tried krita once by using some installer and it got detected as malware (same happend to that one version of gimp which was called gimp studio)
I never touched krita since that happened.

Working in marketing and design, you see these fancy ads for the next big cars? This. So yeah I guess photoshop isn't THAT needed but I know how to use it way better than gimp/krita. Actually I have no clue about krita. Gonna look into it.
>>
>>52702191
Forogot to add, I tried it on windows (work). That shoudl explain where I got that little malware warning one time. Luckily I wasn't stupid enough to go on after the warning. I never tried it on debian.
>>
I develop ios apps for a living

I have to use mac
>>
there is literally no reason to use loonix
OSX can do anything loonix can, but with better aesthetics
>>
>>52697953
I don't want to.
Software, compatibility, "just werks" and m-muh video games, but even if Linux had those I wouldn't switch.
None.
>>
>>52697953

Because it's better than windows for everyday usage.

Everyone at work uses mac. I have a macbook pro from work - don't want to shell out cash for an equivalent laptop - so i have a shitty thinkpad.

This was years ago, so Matlab and Chrome.

Was way too complicated just to get simple shit done.
>>
I need to use autodesk, adobe programs etc. Games are not even a big deal. I don't want to waste time troubleshooting simple stuff that would simple work in windows
>>
>>52702232
>>52702369
i understand your adobe and autodesk problems (if it's not maya because that works natively) but beginner distros just werk faster and more often than windows and it's easier to troubleshoot than on windows.
>>
>>52698668
>namefag calling someone to kill himself

Oh the irony.
>>
>>52697968
Mint is stable and you don't have to use the cli. you hurt yourself by not using the CLI though.
>>
>>52697953
It's free, customizable and less likely to spy on you
Software support, most notably games, which are my main hobby essentially. Also GPU support for my hardware (290X CF) was quite poor, I needed like 3 days to get all 3 of my monitors working properly, in the proper arrangement and orientation and without tearing.
MS (via W10 & updates to 7 and 8.1) attempting to gather shitloads of information about me they really have no reason to know.
>>
>>52697953
1. Its free, more keyboard-orientated, less annoying, moar customisable, full controlled system.
2. Well, thanks to the worldwide os situation, I'm suppose to use W7 on my work, thats only it.
3. Maybe more hardware/software/other stuff support. Something that can make developers to look on this platform and say: "lets roll here too".
4. Some os issues, dont wanna complaining
>>
File: 1454041470975.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1454041470975.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>52702232
>>52702232
>>
Ok, I have tried several times linux, several distro and while it's fun and extremelly good for coding, there's no point on having linux if I'm a multimedia creator.

There's no even a single good multimedia software for linux that can even compare to windows software.

Blender is fine, but I also need zbrush and stuff like real flow.
Blender is fine, but I also need compositing video software like After effects and planning on learning nuke.
Blender is fine, but 3D coat is leagues ahead as retopo tool.
Blender is fine but specialized windows software is leagues ahead.

Substance painter, modo, Vray, among others are way better in terms of workflow and results than blender.

GIMP is fine, but can't hold a candle to photoshop.
Krita is fine, but can't hold a candle to Corel painter + photoshop + manga studio + SAI

There's no good animation software for linux, It's a fact, not even something that is usable. (Synfig, Ktoon, F4L, are just unusable trash)
Pencil2D is actually usable to make quick animations.

Video Editing is leagues ahead anything linux have.
Some as DAWs and music production.
Same as script writing software and storyboard software.

Let's ignore the fact game development on windows is years ahead and a galaxy apart from linux.

There's no even libraries that mimic vocaloid or melodyne dna editor on linux
>>
>>52697953
- free as in free speech
- better stability/security than windows (I'm thinking about trying BSD though)
- well, free beer too
Becoming familiar with a wholly different environment, but already using software such as firefox, thunderbird, openoffice (at the time) or audacity helped a lot. There also was the problem of hardware support: when I first tried a distro, mandrake 9 I think, it froze because of the nvidia graphic card. Since I couldn't read english and didn't have enough knowledge to understand what was going on (eg. livecds were fucking magic to me), finding help was basically impossible. But a few years later there was ubuntu and mint taking off, and I switched permanently.
I was conviced at first by both sides of "free" but only found out the biggest advantages later on. Nowadays when I hear other people's problems with their computer I remember how much of a hassle windows actually is. There are problems on linux distros due to how most opensource projects are understaffed and don't use often enough good methodologies such as extensive testing, but it's nothing compared to the windows world.
>>
>>52701165
Void linux dual boots well with efi.
>>
>>52704061
blender has a compositor and dynamic retopology for your sculpting you tard
>>
>>52704061
>yfw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVqJ1SGeL0 was made entirely with free software
>>
>>52704177
of which are completely crap comparing to propietary solutions.

>>52704196
yeah, people have made fucking tycon games using assembler yet most people use UE4 or unity.
guess which one is better.
>>
>>52704224
1V1 ME YOU NORMIE KEK YOU NEVER LOVED STALLMAN LIKE I DID
>>
>>52704224
>yfw UE4 is open sores and runs natively on GNU/Linux
>>
>>52704246
go fuck your pillow waifu fattass

>>52704249
>ignoring my points over entire areas that have no replacement (vocaloid, Melody editor, Pro DAWs, flash replacements, 2D animation tools).
wine emulation is so fucking garbage I had to install windows 7 after seeing it FL studio on linux and some stupid game maker shit my nephew was asking.
>>
>>52704224
>comparing blender to assembler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rmzh0PI3c
>>
>>52697953
I'm a contrarian and want to feel smugly superior to everybody without spending $1000 on a mac
>>
>>52704303
>implying I don't use blender in my daily workflow
try again
>>
>>52704294
DAWs are not a problem, VSTs are.
>>
>>52697953
Unlimited potential. What I can do with Linux is (hypothetically speaking) limited only by my own knowledge. I also like my software free (as in beer, plus an open source license).

I need a stable OS that has working audio and video. All I've been able to coax out of Debain stable is audio over HDMI going into my monitor (it sounds like shit) and bad screen-tearing on VGA and HDMI, even when doing things as simple as browsing the web.
>>
>>52697953
I really don't but have to deal with it for money.

Kernel is OK-ish, userspace is utter shitpile.
>>
>>52704495
>All I've been able to coax out of Debain stable is audio over HDMI going into my monitor (it sounds like shit) and bad screen-tearing on VGA and HDMI, even when doing things as simple as browsing the web.
why doesn't your normal audio-out work? which compositor do you use?
>>
>>52704553
>why doesn't your normal audio-out work? which compositor do you use?
Good question. I'd love to know, but no amount of googling, or asking questions in the /sqt/ or /flg/ has given me the answer.

>which compositor do you use?
kwin with OpenGL 3.1
>>
>>52704644
maybe your distro specific help irc is able to help you? what mobo do you have?
i didn't know that kwin has screen tearing, maybe you can use another one instead? compton always worked for me.
another possibility would be to check out reports on your gpu drivers having tearing issues that can be fixed somehow.
>>
>>52704686
>maybe your distro specific help irc is able to help you?
I'm using Debian Jessie.

>what mobo do you have?
Asus Z170-Deluxe ATX LGA1151

>another possibility would be to check out reports on your gpu drivers having tearing issues that can be fixed somehow.
GeForce GT 610 with noveau. I'd use the proprietary drivers, but I've had no luck with them at all.
>>
Linux is inferior to windows, no point in using it as I'm not a poorfag with 10 year old hardware, an embedded developer or a pedo.
>>
File: 1453943929303.png (1 MB, 1853x1000) Image search: [Google]
1453943929303.png
1 MB, 1853x1000
>>52704864
Poo in loo, rajeesh
>>
>>52704836
>GeForce GT 610 with noveau
fuck you NVIDIA!
it only works on the proprietary drivers without tearing i think. that sucks.
>Asus Z170-Deluxe ATX LGA1151
doesn't that mean you own a 6000 series intel CPU? don't they have integrated graphics better than the gtx 610?
>>
>>52704964
>inferior gpu drivers
>10x less software
>broken packages
>outdated proprietary software (eg. skype)
>inconsistent UI (gtk-2 gtk-3 qt)
>b-but m-muh 20 seconds faster boot time
stay mad NEETfag
>>
>>52705082
>>inconsistent UI (gtk-2 gtk-3 qt)
my GTK theme is more consistent than the whole of windows 10.
>>
File: enjoy your indians.jpg (26 KB, 535x261) Image search: [Google]
enjoy your indians.jpg
26 KB, 535x261
>>52705082
>only if you have an AMD card
>nobody even knows how much software is available for windows, you have to go on the internet to find it and hope you didn't just download a virus
>only if you're an autist, and even then you have to really try to break packages
>WINE is a thing
>GTK is 5000 times more consistent than windows, Qt can be made to copy a GTK theme, and WINE applications can at the very least be made to match the color scheme
>b-b-b-b-but muh botnet

back to shill school pajeet
>>
>>52702215
>>52702191
You must be a troll?
>>
>>52705220
>WINE
not him but I had to unistall linux because of it.
fuck that piece of shit.

dunno why you fags keep using that meme.
>>
>>52702732
high quality bait right here
>>
>>52705302
>>52705267
i am not these people but why?
>>
Repos, powerful command line, software choice, not having to reboot after updates.
Lack of support for creative software with not really practical alternatives, OTB hardware support, babby duck syndrome.

Security issues, updates sucked, having to go download every program after reinstalling every thing, configuration options confusing.
>>
>>52697953
i don't
nothing
buy a computer
lack of tcp/ip stack
>>
File: 1452957232692.jpg (74 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1452957232692.jpg
74 KB, 640x640
>>52697953
game worked on linux
and all the emulators when i wanted to play them
just in case got dual boot xp working
wlan was no problem
??????????????
Linux forever

also switched to new pc and, cause skylake, had to ditch xp so not even windows anymore

feels bad man cause i cant play fallout 4 and stuff, but the necessity made me turn to emulators in case

nowadays consuming media main acitivity anywho
>>
>>52705023
>doesn't that mean you own a 6000 series intel CPU?
Yes, an i7-6700K

>don't they have integrated graphics better than the gtx 610?
The i7 has 403.2 GFLOPS, the GT610 has 155.5 GFLOPS. Well fuck me sideways. I could of sworn I checked this before I bought the GPU.
>>
>>52705269
>had to uninstall linux because of wine
I'm no expert here but I think you may have done something wrong
>>
>>52705543
this will at least fix your tearing i think. make sure you have a kernel version above 4.2 so you can benefit from everything skylake has. (debian testing is a good choice for that) troubleshooting your sound issues is something i don't know much about because everything always just worked for me. good luck.
>>
>>52705617
It worked fine, but the performance was literally unplayable, unusable, gouge your eyes and kill youself.
I felt so frustrated and angered by how FL studio worked on linux I simply didn't gave a fuck about my files, rebooted and installed windows 7 on top.

fuck wine.
>>
>>52697953

There's always some bullshit having to do with multiple monitors. I've had dozens of issues over the years. Currently, playing a video on the second monitor while doing something else on the first, freezes the video image after like a minute. Fucking useless.
>>
File: .png (45 KB, 800x603) Image search: [Google]
.png
45 KB, 800x603
It's open and a good idea in general.
All kinds of software. Both that it has not, and that it has - the desktop ecosystem is horrible, but this is not Linux's inherent problem.
I don't.
Back in the days I had to recompile madwifi after every kernel update, this was fixed with the introduction of dkms. Horrible laggy UI, probably will be fixed with Wayland. Clipboard. I believe it's up to software how it implements it. Huge mess. Legacy software support won't be fixed, it's not necessary a bad thing, lots of things better be abandoned, but it's specifics of my job.
>>

Nothing. I already had some experience using Linux on my laptop, and I dual-booted just in case. But I waited until my new build to do it (too lazy to format and reinstall everything unless I have to).

But what really happened was that I ended up almost never booting into my Windows partition. I use Wine and a virtual machine for a few applications. I've been using Linux as my main desktop OS for over a year and haven't looked back.
>>
>>52704224
UE4 can now run natively on Linux, mate, I don't know what you're on about.
>>
>>52697953
I like to be able to configure everything
Happy with my arch+i3+nvim at work
Microsoft office
Good music player like musicbee or mediamonkey

My vim plugins didn't work out of the box on windows and everything work related is a pain in the ass without a good command shell (know nothing about it on windows though, so I may be a retard on that one)
I like windows though, and don't care about freedom that much.
>>
>>52705881
>Good music player like musicbee or mediamonkey
deadbeef with plugins or quod libet are decent and similar. what specific features of MS office are you missing in libreoffice?
>>
>>52697953
Muh freedom I guess.
MS Office, full CIFS support, AD integration, lack of useful applications
I need my desktops and laptops for work. I don't play games, I couldn't care less about them. I'm a sysop and I tried going full linux on my work laptop and it's just impossible.
No, LibreOffice and Samba don't offer the functionality I need. Avahi, ALSA, zeroconf are broken by design. Linux security is a mess and probably as botnet as windows gets.
>Wait, but 95% of Internet runs on linux.
Yeah, that's the only thing it's good for. Routers and web servers.
>>
>>52697953
The last time I used Linux on a laptop the fans were constantly on and the battery life was a lot worse than when running Windows.
I don't know if this is the case anymore as that was 4 years ago now, but that was a big annoyance.
>>
>>52697953
Photosherp and Sai with support for wacom tablets pressure function.
That's really it.
>>
>>52697953
I already do at home.
My laptop is a MacBook and battery life is shit if you install Linux on a MacBook

When I get a new laptop, I probably will. I only got a MacBook because it was over 50% off
Lack of window management. Playing gaymes is nice too, but I'm getting too old for that shit. I just play occasionally
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.