[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Replacing OS X with Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: linux_distros.png (608 KB, 1602x1199) Image search: [Google]
linux_distros.png
608 KB, 1602x1199
So I've been contemplating replacing the OS on my iMac with Linux (Fedora or Mint) but I'm still unsure if I want to do this since I've been using OS X for about 4 years now.

What does /g/ think?

Oh and inb4
>retard
>uses mac
>gentoo
>>
You can always try dual booting.
Also, >>>/g/flt
>>
>>52647907
As Mac-user you already have potential knowledge how to use terminal and its commands, so your switch to a different OS is not so big as it is for Windows-users.

As stated earlier, dual booting is the way to go.
>>
>>52647907
Try any thing with gnome. So fedora. Mint is always a good idea for the newcomers
>>
>>52647907
Not popular on /g\ but you can try out elementary OS - its basically ubuntu GNOME with osx skin
>>
>>52647907
Try Ubuntu Mate
>>
>>52647907
Just from personal experience, fedora gets really annoying at times compared to the Ubuntu derivatives/Debian. The only real plus is dnf now and that's not even that great.

My advice is either try mint/Debian or arch with architect. Former will give you a smooth experience and teach you slowly, but the latter will make you learn much faster with a lot of added frustration.

Also just a tip, I've had issues using a macbook pro with most distros in installation because they usually don't have the correct broadcom drivers. So unless you have an ether net or some other access to Internet, you're probably better off sticking to the buntus that I know have that support OOTB
>>
>>52647907
Try Elementary OS. It looks like OS X.
If you want a technical distro try Debian.
>>
>>52647907
it would be extremely painful
>>
I'm using Linux on my devices since it's free and is convenient to write scripts.
But if I had a mac (though I'm not ready to spend buck to buy an apple device) it wouldn't feel so different.
Why would you want to replace an OS that has been specifically optimized for your device?
>>
>>52647907

>>52650470
^This

>>52650587
^And this

You'd be crazy to pull the trigger on this OP.

Drivers are the issue here. Mac OSX has been optimized for the Mac hardware so if you are used to the experience of using OSX on your Mac, and you aren't a hardcore Linux nut that is willing to forgive all sorts of unpleasant shit in the name of FOSS, then you will be very disappointed with the hardware performance when running Linux.

Just to be clear, I run Fedora on a ThinkPad used for work and Ubuntu on my desktop rig at home. But I wouldn't dream of installing either on a Mac due to the drivers..

Have a friend that did it. He regretted it.
>>
>>52647907
Elementary OS is most similar to OS X out of the Box, but you can pretty much do that With nearly any Linux. Take one you think looks best of the buntus (ubunt, kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu gnome) or mint (mate or cinnamon) you can make all of them look like OS X if you want. Elementary OS is not very good for newbs because it has weird default software Choices
>>
>>52647907
Partition the drive in disk utility and boot from the ISO/USB so you can have both idiot.
>>
>>52647907
I used debian for a long time on my ex- MBP.
Haven't tried it in a retina yet.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.