[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone running KVM with pass through of gpu? My mother board(Asus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: kvmbanner-logo3.png (16 KB, 200x62) Image search: [Google]
kvmbanner-logo3.png
16 KB, 200x62
Anyone running KVM with pass through of gpu?

My mother board(Asus P6T) has a fucked up DMAR table so it doesn't work (seems all of asus boards screwed up VT-D). Thinking of its worth upgrading to something that does support it.

I'd want a Linux host, and then windows gets the GPU for gaming needs. Worth it? Experiences?
>>
i use vmware
>>
>>52647843
For gaming and video pass through?
>>
>>52647860
no just shitposting
>>
>>52647829
It's only worth it if you already have the hardware, or if you're guaranteed to succeed. It's not worth buying new hardware to try to do it.
>>
>>52647829
> Experiences
I can't say for your motherboard. Here are my experiences:

I have ASUS Sabertooth 990FX. It's been a long time since I did the setup, so I can't exactly remember, and I had it working using PCI Passthrough before VFIO passthrough was a thing. I changed it to vfio-passthrough after Ubuntu 14.04 is released. Guest OS is Windows 7. GPU being passed through to VM is Quadro 2000 (host OS uses AMD GPU).

I'm not sure about broken DMAR table, but my motherboard has broken IVRS table. Googling around suggests adding these lines to /etc/default/grub as a solution:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash ivrs_ioapic[9]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[10]=00:00.1

> Worth it?
When I learnt to do this, it was worth it. A new PC was a huge investment, and took a lot of space. Ultrabooks weren't common and expensive, Intel graphics wasn't as good as it is now, and there wasn't Intel NUC. I got a furbished Quadro 2000 for $200, and my hardware supported GPU passthrough. It was no brainer.

Nowadays I barely game on my PC, Intel Iris graphics is good enough, and PC is getting smaller and cheaper for the amount of power that it provides. If I need a new computer to do something, I'd rather get a Rasp-pi on an Intel NUC, depending on the needs.
>>
>>52648256
>I'd rather get a Rasp-pi or an Intel NUC, depending on the needs.
Fix'd
>>
Anyone having any problems with nvidia cards or just kvm=off and it works?
>>
>>52647829
I use an ASUS Z170-A motherboard and a i7 6700k CPU, newer hardware tend to have better support.
It works pretty good, you have to tweak and figure out alot to get it just right, though.
>>
>>52648419
I do have to mention that you have to tweak alot less compared to the past. It works on a stock Linux kernel now. I use Linux-ck for a smoother desktop experience.
>>
Useful info: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/gta-v-on-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough-tek-syndicate/87440
>>
>>52648498
This will get you started, just search for things after. It isn't very hard to get working on decent new hardware, as long as you are confident in manoeuvring and modifying your OS it shouldn't take you more than a day or two to get working well.
>>
File: applaud.gif (180 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
applaud.gif
180 KB, 400x300
>>52647870
>>
Am I the only person who dual boots because he's too stupid to get this working?
>>
>>52648394
If you want to passthrough nvidia cards, Quadros are your best bet. Geforce cards need a lot of workarounds.
>>
>>52647924
>>52649322
Really? Interesting.

Op here, I would need to upgrade my motherboard. And because I'm on LGA1366, there aren't any cheap motherboards.
>>
>>52647829
From what I have seen there are stuff you can do to fix broken tables, tek syndicate did a video on this shit with an asus motherboard
>>
>>52649322
Nvidia the way its meant to be hindered :^)
>>
File: comfybox2.jpg (658 KB, 1656x1404) Image search: [Google]
comfybox2.jpg
658 KB, 1656x1404
>Anyone running KVM with pass through of gpu?
Yep, Arch host, Win10 guest, R9 Fury GPU passed through. It's comfy. I use OVMF to boot the VM in UEFI mode, which is kind of necessary for Fiji chips as they have reset issues using legacy seaBIOS.

I'm afraid I have no experience with Asus mobos for this, other than people complaining about their VT-D compatibility. I use a gigabyte board (z97x-ud5h-bk) and it works fine.
>>
http://vfio.blogspot.com

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768
>>
>>52648394
>Anyone having any problems with nvidia cards or just kvm=off and it works?
>kvm=off

You're losing Hyper-V enhancement/enlightenment when you use that...
>>
>>52649322
>Quadros
Ebay for $100 or less. FirePros are cheaper.

>>52648498
vfio.blogspot.com
>>
File: 17015584385_db49e96372_c.jpg (175 KB, 800x576) Image search: [Google]
17015584385_db49e96372_c.jpg
175 KB, 800x576
GUI Option

http://ask.xmodulo.com/pci-passthrough-virt-manager.html
>>
On a totally different matter, VMWare will burn, so far the whole linux code in VMWare debacle continues and they have fired their entire US team.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.