[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The 'free' Internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1434042643103.png (541 KB, 847x633) Image search: [Google]
1434042643103.png
541 KB, 847x633
As far as we have seen, any free software that is financed by ads or donations turns into trash
plenty of examples, like firefox, or any google app

Reminder: google is an advertisement company. If you disagree count to 3 and reconsider again.

The 'free' service model is paid by selling your info to everyone, changing the conditions of the service at point blank, or basically shoving the features left and right

Examples: firefox and pocket, or google reader and plus, youtube and comments....

This business model rottens in 2-3 years, and the next example will be windows 10

The question, or simply a realization is that paying for a license would protect the user and the developer. User would have rights, and the dev would have an steady income, a model that is a throwback to a world not financed by advertisement, basically the opposite of the google 'free' world

Would you pay for browser? Steady updates, adblocking updated everyday, no change of terms or unwanted features, no stupid rewrites, just what.you.paid.for?
>>
I would but normies wouldn't

But I certainly wouldn't mind having two versions:
• Google Chrome Botnet edition - free, but mines my data and sells it to advertisers
• Google Chrome Premium - pay a license, don't get tracked in any remote way
>>
Opera used to be a paid browser.
>>
Would VPN and Common Sense™ be a good choice?
>>
That model existed before, and it has tanked, and it will tank again. People aren't willing to pay for a browser, anymore.
>>
ironically, firefox is still the best browser
>>
I think I would support a subscription based service for a browser or a search engine if it is a fair price and I can be sure that my private info is secure.
I dont believe pay omce have forever is possible with a product like that which is always under development.
>>
>>52647115
>Would you pay for browser? Steady updates, adblocking updated everyday, no change of terms or unwanted features, no stupid rewrites, just what.you.paid.for?
Nope. Not paying for shit that is still going to datamine you anyway. Data mining has nothing to do with price, software that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars datamines you, software that's free doesn't, and in reverse+everything in between.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.