[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>replace OpenWRT box with pfSense box after hearing so much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: pfsense.png (13 KB, 406x226) Image search: [Google]
pfsense.png
13 KB, 406x226
>replace OpenWRT box with pfSense box after hearing so much praise for it
>DHCP doesn't work most of the time
>dhcpd log says it sees a DHCPREQUEST and sends a DHCPOFFER, but the client never actually gets the offer
>set up static IP on client
>works, but insane amount of packet loss
>over fucking Ethernet
>can't connect to any WAP on the network

Looks like I fell for a meme.
>>
Most definitely an issue with your hardware
>>
Never had an issue with it. Deployed hundreds of times for a number of clients.
>>
>>52646673
>too dumb to use pfsense
there's your problem
>>
>>52646745
This
I had issues installing it, but I fixed it eventually
It's not exactly designed to run on everything
>>
>>52646673
> inb4 using an unsupported NIC chipset
What is your configuration itself?
>>
File: 1388137124226.jpg (101 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1388137124226.jpg
101 KB, 480x600
>>
>>52646745
I'm thinking this is the case. Probably going to replace the NIC that's assigned to the LAN. That'll teach me to use whatever card I can find lying around the house.

Are Intel's "server-grade" NICs actually worth the money or is it just Intel being kikes as usual?

>>52646807
There's not a lot to fuck up regarding pfSense. Pretty sure it's the hardware I'm using being shit.

>>52646944
The LAN NIC is a Realtek RT8139 10/100. Again, using the first legacy PCI NIC I could find was probably a shitty idea.
>>
>>52647033
Get a Intel Pro 1000e card, eBay has them for about $10 a piece or something.
Worth the money, and faster then your 10/100 NIC aswell.
>>
>>52646673
did you try not fucking it all up, anon?
>>
Yup, definitely the Realtek NIC.

http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/RealTek/3.0/if_rl.c

"The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' This is probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC. The 8139 supports bus-master DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance gains that bus-master DMA usually offers."
>>
>>52646673
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
>>
>>52647153
>realkek
>in charge of anything good
>>
>>52646960
I always read this the wrong way around

It's meant to be read like Manga
>>
>>52646673
BSD support for various hardware is really shitty
You probably have a shitty non-intel network card.
With that said I think OpenWRT is probably going to catch up to pfsense for the home user.
>>
>>52647217
I stopped using OpenWRT because I was getting tired of the limitations imposed by the hardware and OpenWRT itself.
>>
>>52647303
OpenWRT runs on linux so it has that going for it. The only limitations are web interface limitations.
>>
>>52647316
I don't think Linux will make "the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made" suddenly work better.

Not saying that OpenWRT is bad. I'm still using it and will continue to use it on other hardware (specifically two TP-Link routers I'm using as combination switch/WAPs). I just prefer pfSense for use as a gateway.
>>
>>52647093
Would I be safe buying one from China?
>>
I changed the LAN over to the onboard VIA NIC. That made no difference at all. Also disabled VPN and traffic shaping.

Either something else is wrong or I happen to have the worst legacy-PCI-era hardware known to man.
>>
>>52648228
Get some Intel NIC, everything else is shit.
>>
>>52647584
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>52648620
Well, waiting for it to arrive would be painful.

I'm worried about getting a fake NIC.
>>
>>52646673
>pfSense
>not rolling your own OpenBSD install
Enjoy your outdated shit.
>>
>>52647153
It's funny how we've come so far that we almost don't even have to think about devices like NICs anymore, a NIC should "just work" regardless.
>>
>>52648670
>*BSD
>not outdated shit
>>
>>52649790
OpenBSD gets updated daily.
>>
>>52648654
Think that's what he meant, waiting, fake, sending back or waiting on refund, just the whole dang process....
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.