[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got an atom d2500 board for $15. Normally I wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 20160127_122238_HDR-1.jpg (1 MB, 1755x2105) Image search: [Google]
20160127_122238_HDR-1.jpg
1 MB, 1755x2105
Just got an atom d2500 board for $15.

Normally I wouldn't consider it because it's an older dual core atom, but it has a pcie x16 slot, so I was thinking.
How functional of a pc would it be with a gpu? Something older but decent, like a hd 5770 or a gts 250.

Also going to use a velociraptor, until I get an ssd for it.
>>
>>52642243
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>52642268
Thank you, your contribution has been noted. Cunt.
>>
>>52642295

Get your money up, you pathetic poorfag.
>>
fuck off back to /r/gaming
>>
>>52643082
I already have a decent computer, I just wanted something cheap and shitty to study on that would be smooth enough for web browsing and studying, but too shitty for anything more intensive.

$15 dude, don't tell me that was a bad deal. It can fit a pcie 2.0 x16 graphics card.

>>52643111
>r/gaming
What?
>>
>>52642243
That thing will be shit for pretty much anything desktop oriented. The most use you'd get out of it is a home server or a router.
>>
>>52643173
Too shit for firefox and eclipse? I rarely go over 4 or 5 tabs on my browser.
I intend to run Linux.
>>
>>52642243
There's nothing wrong with it OP. Throw some ram in it, an inexpensive GPU, and your favorite distro and its a decent desktop for what it is. Ignore these hating fuckers.
>>
What do you need a gpu for? The cpu will be what limits you, internal graphics should be fine unless you try to gayme
>>
>>52643282
I was thinking either a hd 6570, or a 5770. With Fedora amd xfce, plasma, or enlightenment. Depends on performance.
>>
>>52643901
The cpu will limit me, but a gpu will help smooth things out I hope.
>>
I tried this once with a 290X, it could play CS GO on 4k at like 80 fps, also, its pretty good for gpu accelerated CAD and pretty much anything GPU accelerated
>>
>>52644609
That's disappointing, was hoping it'll be too shit for most games.
>>
>>52644989
Get something like a hd 3650
It works well on my desktop (Dell XPS 420)
But it is too crap for any gaming, I can only play games like Just Cause 2 and Halo 2 at the absolute lowest settings, which then looks like shit
Planning to upgrade to 750ti
>>
>>52643162
SO FUCKING BUY IT JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOU PEOPLE SUCK SO HARD
>>
>>52642243
If its running clover trail or lower, fuck it. Won't run shit acceptably. Have a dual core clover trail tablet w/ hyper threading. Even a single core amd athlon in laptop is faster.
>>
>>52644567
But only for games, youtube wont get much benifit, neither will power point or whatever the hell you do besides games. And you cant seriously expect to play games on this, so you might as well spend the money on 8gb of ram and an ssd.
>>
>>52642243
>Just got an atom d2500 board for $15.
I know nothing about Atom but if it has performance close to Core 2, you'll get by I imagine

if anything get the hd5770, gts 250 is just old
>>
I got the first generation 330 Dual Core Atom with Nvidia ION and it plays 1080P videos just fine with CUDA acceleration.

It's amazing how much things get offloaded onto the GPU these days, youtube, flash, and even webpage rendering gets offloaded onto the GPU with browsers like IE.

Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) is also offloaded onto the GPU which means your desktop is rendered by the GPU when supported.
>>
>>52646197
>Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) is also offloaded onto the GPU which means your desktop is rendered by the GPU when supported.

Protip: It's been that way since the early '90s.
Before DWM and Vista, GDI was hardware accelerated by most video cards - as of Vista GDI is no longer hardware accelerated at all (gdi windows transposed into dwm are accelerated by DWM after being drawn, but the GDI calls are no longer handled by the GPU)
This interesting set of affairs makes me lol at idiots who insist on using the 'classic' theme post-vista - the entire desktop will actually become slower and more CPU bound, since everything will be plain GDI+ calls but they can't be accelerated any more.
>>
>>52645062
I decided to just go with a hd 6570.
Might as well lean a little towards energy efficiency if I'm going with an atom and a hd 6570 should be enough.
>>
>>52646251
You need WDDM 1.1+ drivers for acceleration on modern windows though, older GPUs run on WDDM 1.0 or don't support WDDM at all.

WDDM 1.1 has DXGI which will GPU accelerate Direct2D/DirectWrite and GDI but not GDI+
>>
>>52646472
>>52646251
This is also true for Linux desktop environments, correct?
>>
>>52646650
Not sure what you mean specifically. In Linux you generally want to make sure the video card will support 2d acceleration and enable composition in your window manager.
>>
>>52646707
A better gpu would make the computer run smoother, correct?

Not for games, it'll be for browsing the web and clicking on shit like a normie.
>>
>>52646736
If the original GPU is ancient or completely underpowered shit, yes.
>>
I upgraded from to haswell from a Q9300 last year.

7 yrs on a Core 2 Quad was a good run, and it lives on as a friend's first computer. 24 yrs old and he finally has his first computer, can you believe that? His underaged sister has a computer for League of Legends but not him.
>>
I'd probably not bother with that shit at all for desktop use, honestly. A fucking raspberry pi 2 will be more usable, and it's $35. You'd need a GPU and other supporting hardware to even get that thing going.

If you can get it powered and working it may do alright as a server for shit like bittorrent, subsonic, etc, but for anything else man it's just not going to be worth it.

Which sucks, because it's such a waste.
>>
>>52646747
The original gpu will be the integrated one on the atom.

I'm sure it's pretty shit since its running laptop ram.

>>52647194
I have a 380 earthwatts psu, a 150GB velociraptor, 2x 2gb ddr3 1333mhz laptop ram, and a spare 900p display.
As well as a few older GPUs. I've decided to pair it with a hd 6570 and run Linux. Fedora Linux with xfce or enlightenment and use it for uni. The point is it's so shit it won't let me get distracted with games and shit.

Only thing costing me is the mobo and possibly the k/m.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.