[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn how to program so I can make my own video games,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: renchom.png (581 KB, 564x554) Image search: [Google]
renchom.png
581 KB, 564x554
I want to learn how to program so I can make my own video games, but god damn learning it is so boring it puts me to sleep. Is it supposed to be boring until you actually learn how to do it or am I supposed to enjoy it if I'm really passionate?
>>
>>52641747
Find something you want to do first
>>
>>52641774
what do you mean?
>>
>>52641747
shit doesn't happen overnight.
>>
>>52641747
just start coding video games you dont need the other stuff

learn c++ then make something like gta
>>
>>52641747
Honestly, coding is boring. It's generally the design and problem-solving aspects that some folks find engaging. If you've just started, then you probably aren't doing much of either of those, but are instead focused on learning syntax and methodology and such.

On the flip side? If you want to make this a career, then learning this stuff is going to be an ongoing thing. You'll never 'finish' learning.
>>
File: wolf-kitty.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
wolf-kitty.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>>52643038
>It's generally the design and problem-solving aspects that some folks find engaging.
That's why you should start your coding education by being a faggy ricer that everyone hates, and learning vimscript and i3 or awesome-wm configs because you can see the results right before your eyes and are constantly coming up with solutions to make all the "tedius" tasks that took you five minutes, now get done in five seconds.

By and large, you will be a king of bullshit, but it feels good to be king, and you'll get a good taste of what it feels like to be a "real" programmer.
>>
>>52643080
awoo
>>
>>52643114
>awoo
Is that your reaction to my words of (pseudo) wisdom, or my anime cutey?
>>
>>52641747
>I want to learn how to program so I can make my own video games, but god damn learning it is so boring it puts me to sleep. Is it supposed to be boring until you actually learn how to do it or am I supposed to enjoy it if I'm really passionate?

programming video games also implies that you have a good maths level. Good game have people who correctly embody the player into a world which matches the brains expectation. Even mario had some maths in it.
>>
>>52641747
Learn C++, Learn game project management (So you can understand the stages there is, compared to where you are now).

Have a clear concept, keep it simple.
>Learn trigonometry for 3d spacing
>>
protip: games can actually be one of the hardest types of software to create, especially if it's a multiplayer online real-time action game with 3D graphics. if you have no other programming experience, you're not going to be able to do much better than writing shitty clones of 2D arcade games like pong, snake, pacman, breakout, etc.
>>
>>52641747
Learn how to use game engines instead. Unity, rpgmaker, stencyl, gamemaker, there are lots, much easier than raw coding a game. Code in python or lua if you really want to start from scratch.
>>
>>52643280
agreed, but don't use proprietary software :)
python + pygame or lua + LÖVE
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.