[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really want to get into programming, mainly to make my own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Drake-Fader-100.jpg (566 KB, 1440x1455) Image search: [Google]
Drake-Fader-100.jpg
566 KB, 1440x1455
I really want to get into programming, mainly to make my own mobile app and learn some things about web designing. I'm not doing it for money or school or a job or anything. I am just very curious onto how this works.

Where can I find good books or websites that can teach me at a good pace?

I was looking into code academy but learned that most people think it's not as efficient.

Is ruby on rails any good by chance ?

Pic not related kinda
>>
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
>>
>>52641345
What is the main language people use on web design and apps?
>>
>>52641520

There is no 'main language'. If you want to do web dev and mobile apps both, however, learn HTML/CSS/Javascript, learn to use Phonegap and you're pretty much set.
>>
>>52641520
No matter the platform, if you're doing anything web related you're going to use Javascript on some level, so you can start there.
>>
>>52641552
>>52641566
I heard ruby on rails can cover these subjects at a faster pace, would ruby on rails be worth consideration?
>>
>>52641710

Ruby on Rails doesn't so much cover the subjects at a faster pace as it makes it easier to do things that you already know how to do. If you try to tackle RoR without a grounding in the "meat 'n potatoes" web technologies then you're going to be tripped up by simple shit and not understand how anything works.

Go learn the following:

HTML - This is the skeleton of a website. It dictates where content goes. You can build a website using only HTML, like this guy almost did (if you ignore the script at the bottom) - http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/

CSS - This is used to style HTML documents - add colour, set font type/size/whatever, change the positioning of content areas, you name it. You can basically take the same HTML layout and style it a million different ways, as demonstrated at http://www.csszengarden.com/

Javascript - Ubiquitous script language, supported by every major browser and most non-major ones. Has a million uses and every bit as essential to web development as HTML and CSS.

All the above stuff is "client side" - that is, when you visit a website all that shit is downloaded to your browser. What you're reading right now is presented using this basic shit.

Ruby is a bit different. It's "server side" - meaning that when you visit a website, before HTML/CSS/JS are downloaded, Ruby does a bunch of shit first to provide dynamic content and do other stuff that you don't really see.

Unlike the client-side stuff, there are lots of options for server-side - PHP, C#, VisualBasic, Python, Node.js (javascript on the server) and Java (nothing to do with Javascript) are other popular (or at least, commonly used) scripting languages.

In short, you'll achieve nothing meaningful by deciding on going with Ruby right now. By all means try it out first, but there's no magical correct answer to your question.
>>
What platform? android, iOS, PC?
This will dictate the what language and consequently books.
>>
>>52643272
Mainly ios, but would prefer to have an app on both platforms such as android.
>>
>>52643424
just learn how to make a game on objective C first then learn cross platform development.
Apress and Packt Pulishing - also Sam's Learn something in 24 hours - are good series for learning.
one step at a time.
>>
look up MEAN stack tutorials
a good one is thenewboston on youtube
its a meme but watever its good for learning if ur new
>>
File: Stay kool.gif (943 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Stay kool.gif
943 KB, 500x375
LETTING THE DAYS GO BY

LETTING THE WATER HOLD ME DOWN
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.