[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's so bad about an iMac, /g/? While I fully agree they're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: prodmainpic_imac.jpg (54 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
prodmainpic_imac.jpg
54 KB, 400x263
What's so bad about an iMac, /g/?

While I fully agree they're not made to work or game on, I do enjoy having one in the living room a lot. They are aesthetically pleasing, the screen is big, they're fast, dead silent, and you don't have to find a place to put some huge ass computer case with 300 wires going in and out in the room.

I love mine for selecting music to be played through the house, casual web browsing, and my girlfriend loves it because OS X is so easy to understand.

Is there any bad thing about it despite the price that I'm missing? I've had mine now for 6-7 years without noticing anything I miss. It's kinda getting slow now so I thought about getting a new one. Yes I use windows to work on, upstairs.
>>
>>52638776
If they had useful shit as standard, like twice as many USB ports, 10gbe or more 1gbe and an adjustable height and swivel stand then they'd be useful if expensive. As is they're restrictive and way too expensive. Also their cooling system gets clogged up after a while, but that's standard fare for laptops.
>>
>>52638776
you're asking for a tablet, op
>>
>>52638776
You pretty much answered your own question

They're a nice thing to have, but they're not built for productivity, gaming, or customization. And they certainly aren't justified in the price.
>>
The form factor is really outdated.
>>
Look at those bezels and the way the monitors are limited in their positioning.

Get a Mac mini with some monitors of your choice.
>>
>>52638843
Doesn't it rock like 4 USB ports? What the fuck do you need 8 for, you fucking turbonerd?
>>
>>52638843
The fuck you need 8 USB ports for? Also, it's a desktop, not a laptop.

>>52638870
I have a tablet. The screen is small, no keyboard, no mouse.. I don't enjoy it as much as a normal computer.

>>52638972
But that's what I like about the iMac. The screen is already big, and the screen looks good. It looks way better than my upstairs desktop's screen.
>>
>>52639115
>>52639058
You are not welcome here.

You started a thread asking "What's so bad about an iMac?". You won't accept any type of reasons or opinions on why someone wouldn't want one. Literally any reason anyone could come up with MUST be wrong.

There was no point in asking the question in the first place. Go away.
>>
>>52639115
You seriously like how the monitor is set up?
I mean the screen looks good, but it's so prone to glare and fingerprints, and the flexibility to stand up and use it while standing is zero.

But again, I only used them in labs and I was quite happy when they replaced them with Mac Minis with some proper screens that could even be rotated to portrait.
>>
>>52639200
"It doesn't have 8 USB ports" is not a good argument, dubsfag.
>>
>>52638776
>What's so bad about an iMac
the fact it is designed for faggots
>>
>>52639215
I agree they suck when standing. I should look into a Mac mini, I think. I hope they don't require too many wires since I hate seeing wires.
>>
Reported for shilling. I hope Apple (or the intermediary offshore shill company) fires yor ass.
>>
>>52638776
Wait for the new iMac
>>
>>52639058
>>52639115
>>52639219

Only four was the main argument. I see my editors at work with stacks of portable hard drives needing to swap them in and out all of the time because there's only four, that's also using the thunderbolt ports as well. Now a decent NAS would help, but good luck getting good use out of that with a single 1gbe connection.
>>
>>52639289
Not defending the design choice, but how about a hub?
That will also take care of the cable mess.
>>
>>52639314
I'd rather not have the imacs at all or get som 10gbe over thundbolt things and have a decent NAS. But I'm an in office filled to the brim with MAC fags because it's a creative agency, it's horrible.
>>
>>52639400
Yeah, I can relate, it's hard to deal with fanboys of any kind.
>>
Their screen looks glorious. I don't know how they do it. Other PCs or monitors on display don't look so impressive
>>
>>52641048
Don't LG manufacture their panels?
>>
File: 1381606357436.png (104 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1381606357436.png
104 KB, 320x240
The only reason to get them is a pretentious feeling of superiority thinking you will look elegant and rich.

The sad thing about this is that Macfags are lower lifeforms than even Alienware gaymurs.
Alienware costs more than shitty Apple shit (which pretty much everyone is aware of), and they can at least play fucking video games and hold multiple OSs including being turned into a Hackintosh in multi-boot.
So basically, Macfags are poorfags trying to appear like they have money (by spending it on something that has less capability than Alienware shit), while Alienwarefags are the typical richfag who spends on an ugly edgy as fuck supercar (that at least has performance compared to those elegant pretentious 10 ton limos and shit).

Applefags are objectively lower than Alienwarefags. Let that sink in.
>>
>>52641383
Maybe they have an extra glossy layer or some other trick

>>52641453
I thought macs could dual boot windows
>>
>>52641510
>I thought macs could dual boot windows
I wouldn't know. All i'm aware of is that Apple likes to have some components soldered and specially manufactured, and that they like to lock down shit (but i don't know the extent of it given i don't own any Apple shit beyond a Shuffle). Also that thunderbolt/firewire are the biggest pieces of shit in the whole technological world and history in terms of security as they allow direct system memory access and the ability to take over the machine completely (because there is a complete lack of any handshake measure or any security measure unlike shitty USB). Last i remember at least.
>>
>>52638776
Theyre not made to work or game on but theyre aesthetically pleasing.. so you bought an overpriced decoration?
>>
>>52641048
It's probably because they use hidpi displays and their displays are factory color calibrated.
>>
>>52641048
Apple doesn't produce any of its computer screens. It only has the manufacturing capacity for smartphones and form factors beneath that.
All its monitor screens come from LG, Samsung, and a few other manufacturers. Easily evidenced by the product code (to source the screen origin) if you know how to read it, something that any Apple repair main (private or sponsored) knows.
>>
>>52638843
>10gbe
>standard

you're literally describing technology that doesn't even exist in a consumer product yet
>>
File: Retina-iMac-Review-19.jpg (218 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
Retina-iMac-Review-19.jpg
218 KB, 1920x1440
>>52638776
>5120x2880 display
>wider color gamut than any sub-$1500 monitor
>custom designed cooling system with only 1 fan that never throttles an i7-6700k
>18,000 on geekbench
>can run any new game at 1080p on highest settings at >60fps
>takes up no space
>aesthetic as fuck

The real question is, why would you buy any other desktop?
>>
File: 1357014521287.png (11 KB, 433x385) Image search: [Google]
1357014521287.png
11 KB, 433x385
>>52644776
gr8 b8
>>
>>52644806
Not bait at all. I have one myself and that's been my experience. [Citations] if you don't believe me:

>http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/11/mini-review-test-driving-a-fully-loaded-4000-27-inch-5k-imac/
>http://barefeats.com/imac5k15.html
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PErtLOvMcM0
>>
>>52644776
>i7-6700k
wut
>>
>>52644776
I know its bait but...

For $3600 I could buy a cheap car, a TV, a bike and still have enough to build a PC that kicks the literal shit out of an Apple designed machine in performance and visual appeal.
>>
>>52639400
People with their own preferences of OS. HOW HORRIFYING
>>
>>52645011
And all that shit wouldn't come in a formfactor anywhere close to the iMac.

Not the other poster btw, but the iMac's main selling point is the formfactor m8
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
25 KB, 480x360
David Di Franco here. I love my mac pro.

>dat mac pro design
>>
>>52638776
REMINDER:APPLE IS SHILLING /G/

The new imacs with the 290x I'm them is pretty dank I'd say. But it's also Hella expensive. Who gives a fuck what brand you use, stop shilling.
>>
>>52638776

So you're pretty much admitting you're letting Apple fuck you up the ass for an inferior machine because it's pretty?
>>
>>52638776
the problem, and this is coming from a macbok user,is that you are paying top dollar for a powerful computer with a nice screen. The screen is definitely nice, but the computer itself is restricted and underpowered. I own a macbook because it may be pricey and propritarey but it does what a laptop needs to do perfectly. I find the only purpose for a desktop is workstation(rendering)/gaming, which can be run on anything, no real advantage to apple products when it comes to desktops.
>>
>>52638776
I had an iMac before I made the decision of selling it and building a PC for gaming (which I barely use, tbqh).
They're really really nice if you don't plan to game.
And if you spec them well, they suffice your needs for some video editing.

I won't buy one in the future because i bought a rMBP months ago and it's all I need.
>>
>>52638776
>not made to work or game on
nothing to do then
>>
>>52638776
>"What's so bad about an iMac, /g/?"
>"I fully agree they're not made to work or game on"

Macfags confirm. iMacs aren't technology. They're fucking ornaments.

>>>/fa/
>>
>>52638776

>What's so bad about an iMac, /g/?
>I fully agree they're not made to work or game on

At that price point they should be able to do those things. Just because it looks pretty in your living room doesn't excuse it from being a piece of shit.

Use case in general is a terrible argument. I go to school for architecture and because school get subsidized macs or w/e our computer labs are packed with iMacs ...which can't run any of the fucking software we use. It's mind numbingly stupid.

But that's just my use case and I'm not about to say iMacs are terrible just because they don't work for me.

...But they are terrible btw lol
>>
>>52645240
>but the iMac's main selling point is the formfactor m8
Sure. If you like game console form factor where it has to be underpowered/underclocked and throttled in order for the fucking electronics to work every time they meet up with a higher than average performance requirement due to heat output, because they don't have any fucking airflow.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.