[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So... Hi /g/. I've been using Gentoo GNU/Linux for ~8 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (9 KB, 100x105) Image search: [Google]
image.png
9 KB, 100x105
So... Hi /g/. I've been using Gentoo GNU/Linux for ~8 years now, happily, but recently the laptop I used it on fucked up. I'm using a shitty netbook for now and, of course, I installed Gentoo... and it sucks. It's way too much time to get from a basic system to fully featured, and slow to compile. If I need to install a library, I want it NOW, not 1 hour from now.

So now I'm looking to switch. I like the bleeding edge Gentoo allows, massive customisation, and tiny base system. I tried FreeBSD and I like the mixture of source based and binary based, but it lacks the full support of the Linux kernel and software/support base.

Any suggestions or is FreeBSD my next best bet?
>>
File: kek122431241.png (324 KB, 400x684) Image search: [Google]
kek122431241.png
324 KB, 400x684
>>52638471
>Hi /g/. I've been using Gentoo GNU/Linux for ~8 years now,
>>
>>52638497
pls this is serious
>>
Void Linux bro

source and binary packages
>>
Install Mac Pup
>>
>>52638471
I-is this a copypasta?
>>
Arch installed with Architect, you can use yaourt to install anything not in the standard repository. For work I prefer Cent or Fedora.
>>
>>52638471
>What is distcc
>>
If fuduntu was still around I'd recommend that

if you REALLY want bleeding edge and can deal with the autism, I guess you could give arch a shot, installing a "lightweight" system on top of it
>>
bsd is much like gentoo.
If you want to use a binary based distro, arch is probably your best bet.
>>
>It's way too much time to get from a basic system to fully featured, and slow to compile. If I need to install a library, I want it NOW, not 1 hour from now.

If you really have been using Gentoo for 8 years you should know what cross-compiling is. But you don't, because you haven't. Why would you lie on the internet?
>>
>>52638861
what would he compile it on
>>
>>52638890
>but recently the laptop I used it on fucked up

To me this implied they had another laptop or desktop.
>>
>>52638931
yeah, their netbook. I don't think anyone would use a netbook as a daily driver unless they absolutely had to, so it's safe to assume it's the borked laptop and the netbook
>>
Debian Unstable from a net install?

Debian is called the Gentoo of binary-based distros, if systemd isn't your pick you can look for a derivate without it.
>>
>>52638976
I don't even normally have the netbook. I borrowed it from a friend who said I could do what I want with it. I normally only have a laptop.

Anyways, thanks all. I'll check out those suggested and see how they fit the bill.
>>
>>52638471
Arch is pretty good mixture of binary + source, most of the libs and common stuff is in the repo, and pretty much everything else you can compile with AUR doing 99% of the work for you.

P.s dont fall for the arch breaks meme, it actually just werks with some basic maintenance unless your iq is < 80
>>
>>52638471
Arch if you want a GNU/Linux (you can switch to OpenRC if you hate systemd) otherwise tinycore or apline
>>
>>52638471
So you were surprised that bsd isn't linux? Maybe just go for windows then.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.