[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: 1409787768249.jpg (242 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1409787768249.jpg
242 KB, 900x1200
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread.
>>
File: 1424980430719.png (187 KB, 468x347) Image search: [Google]
1424980430719.png
187 KB, 468x347
>designing new build
>need 4 monitors in a 3+1 arrangement
>was planning to get two 980ti's and SLI
>find out that SLI supports a whole TWO FUCKING MONITORS WOW unless you buy a fancy specific motherboard and or a third fucking non-sli GPU which then obviously doesn't run off the same signal branch for lack of a better term
>even though a single NVIDIA card can run 4 displays
>meanwhile AMD has had fucking 9 monitor support on a single card for years and their Crossfire seems to support 4 displays but I can't find a concrete number

What the fuck. Do I go with AMD? I really don't want to be locked into a motherboard like that or need a third GPU.
>>
What happens if my graphics card is so strong it renders games at much higher framerates than the monitor's native 60 hz?

Does this kill the card because it's working harder than it has to?
>>
File: sqlerror.png (47 KB, 1066x457) Image search: [Google]
sqlerror.png
47 KB, 1066x457
I'm trying to use entity framework with SQL and I keep getting this error whenever I try to create a server in visual studio.
>>
>>52633616
>Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.
but isn't this Google: the thread?
>>
>>52633646
It's extra heat and power use for no gain and can cause excessive screen tearing. However it won't hurt your card at all. If you're that worried, lock it to 60FPS
>>
Does f.lux affect while playing games? Should you keep it on or pause it?
>>
>>52633728
Pause it you dumb fuck.
>>
I put my HDD in another computer while I'm repairing my main rig. Now it's telling me I need to activate Windows again because it thinks I installed it on another computer.

Should I activate? What happens if I don't?
>>
>>52633763
>Should I activate?
Daz Loader
What happens if I don't?
Nothing important.
>>
>>52633786
If you don't activate Windows or use Daz Loader or MS Toolkit to fake activation, you won't be able to use it anymore after a month, and you'll get nag notifications and black wallpaper for a while before that.
>>
>>52633821

OK so if I activate it now when I put it back in my main rig will I have to activate it again?
>>
>>52633821
>you won't be able to use it anymore after a month
u fookin wot m8

>and you'll get nag notifications and black wallpaper for a while before that.
That's what you get after the month. I ran an unactivated copy for something like six months once, literally the only thing it stops you from doing is getting updates.
>>
Can i clone a verizon router image or some shit and run a virtual copy.
>>
File: 1453823123236.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
1453823123236.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>52633796
>It says your vfat is a Dell Utility partition. Make it an EFI System partition instead. Of course if you have Dell Utility stuff in it, make another. Also make sure your partition table is GPT and not MBR.

thanks, but frankly I don't really know what any of that means.
So if I change the dell utility partition to an EFI System partition, will I lose my option to boot into Windows 7? And if so, how would I go about creating another one?

(posting the pic again, since old thread died)
>>
Yo /g/, I'm not really a mobile person, so I would appreciate some help. My iPhone (I used it as an iPod, it was passed down from my mom) just broke. I have a backup Motorola Defy Mini that I am trying to use, but I can't seem to get it (or rather, the Google Play Store) to work. I follow the instructions word for word (factory reset, set up my Google Account, sync it with the phone, accept the terms and agreements, etc), but EVERY time I try to open up the Google Play Store, it says "The Application Google Play Store has stopped unexpectedly". I'm assuming this is some sort of bug because it makes absolutely no sense to me. The phone is running Android version 2.3.6 and says it is updated to the newest version (of course there are newer versions of Android, but I imagine that is the newest one my phone supports). Thanks for the help guys
>>
I want to make a server on a laptop that broadcasts the display's content onto nearby laptops.
how ?
>>
>>52633902
You'll lose whatever was in it before. That will be some Dell diagnostic utilities. It won't affect your Windows. You just won't be able to launch the Dell utilities.

Try checking the Reformat box and see if it'll add it to your Fedora installation. I'm not familiar with this partitioning utility and usually use fdisk (MBR), gdisk (GPT), or parted (both).
>>
File: radeonsettings.png (388 KB, 1495x724) Image search: [Google]
radeonsettings.png
388 KB, 1495x724
I just copied a ton of games (almost 400) from a faulty hard drive to a fully functional one. A while after I finished doing this, I opened the new Radeon Settings application. I immediately noticed that it was extremely sluggish and unresponsive, presumably from the hundreds of game profiles that were automatically added without my input. I'm just wondering if this is a known issue with the application itself, or a problem with my computer.
>picture sort of related, but I have much more profiles on mine
>>
File: 18lro3319hvdhjpg.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
18lro3319hvdhjpg.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
/g/ is not your tech support but halp:

I want to connect my laptop to TV via VGA to HDMI adapter.

TV gets no input.
OS reports unknown monitor with 1024x768, despite TV being 1366x768 (Tried on W7 and on Ubuntu 16.04, different computers)
The VGA cable is good, I use it on my monitor daily.
The VGA to HDMI is good, tested it today on projector (Lenovo LT8511)
Tried both HDMI ports.

Any advice? It looks like TV is at fault but why?
>>
>>52633960
Im assuming the Dell utilities don't include the BIOS boot menu for external devices or anything else actually important(?)
So if I reformat the vfat partition as EFI System Partition, everything should be fine and I'll be able to boot from USB if I so desire?
>>
I have a million of excel files from work and I want to create a database with all the stuff.

What's an all around easy to use software to do this? I prefer something open source and easy to use by the people at work.
>>
For the past few months my torrent speeds have been wonky.

Whenever I do something involving the internet no matter how small (opening a jpg, streaming a video, browsing 4chan, etc.) it tanks my torrent speed. That and my speeds never seem to stay consistent and are generally lower than they used to be, the speed peaks then dips, peaks, then dips, over and over until the torrent is done.

I built this computer fairly recently but even for the first couple of months my torrents seemed fine. The only thing that has changed is that my ISP has been trying to install fiber for months. Would that effect my torrent speeds and nothing else? Everything else seems fine.

Can anyone help?
>>
File: 12355632247.png (271 KB, 608x336) Image search: [Google]
12355632247.png
271 KB, 608x336
where can I buy smartphone replacement parts cheaper than on ebay, alibaba, aliexpress?
I know buying wholesale can sometimes get a cheaper price but I can't buy wholesale.
>>
>>52634451
Forgot to mention that even viewing the peer list on the torrent client I use (deluge) tanks my speeds. I've also tried qbitorrent but the same problems occur.
>>
Can anyone post that picture of how the upper, middle, lower middle, low and macfag class show their wealth?
>>
>>52634280
Does your TV really have a VGA input but no HDMI input?!

VGA is a stupid protocol. It doesn't have a concept of horizontal pixels in the signal itself. On a CRT, there are no pixels, only scanlines. For digital displays, the PC and display just agree on dimensions through the EDID of the display.

Perhaps your TV has a bad EDID. Can you force the resolution using DTDCalculator? Do you have another computer that has a VGA output to test it without the dumb adapter in between?

>>52634451
Might you be right at the limit of what your connection can handle on your torrent speed limit? Try leaving a bit of overhead.
>>
So this is something that's been bugging me for a while and want to know the answer to:

How is it possible that with all these insane viruses, manipulating hacks etc that exist, that icloud lock thing hasn't been cracked yet?

Don't own anything Apple but I'm impressed those faggots got that right...unless its already been messed with
>>
>>52634476
I'd recommend tormenting overnight like me, then your computer has something to do while you sleep.
>>
>>52634552
The thing with viruses is they have to get in somehow. Usually this is by tricking a user into performing an action that lets them install.

If Tyrone stole a phone, the iCloud lock won't let him perform any such action. It simply keeps him out.
>>
>>52633954
I can only think of using vnc or teamviewer type software with restrictions to just let users view the screen.
>>
>>52634611
Thanks for the breakdown of it

How did Apple manage to get that right but everything else wrong...
>>
Scrublord tier question about monitors and resolution:

is a 1080p resolution only beneficial because it allows larger monitors? I don't necessarily need a really large monitor - would I better off picking a smaller screen with a lower native resolution?
>>
>>52634533
Well the thing is my torrent speeds used to not be like this. I could watch a 720p youtube video with no buffering and still get around max download speed (give or take 100-200 kbps).

Now I feel lucky if a torrent gets half my max download speed but then I just have to sit around and not do anything on the internet else the speed drops tremendously.

>>52634575
I don't like leaving my computer on while I sleep, its too bright and I like to sleep in pitch blackness. Also that's not really the point, my speeds used to be fine and now they're not, I'd at least like to know why and hopefully fix it.
>>
>>52634613
>>52633954
Can Chromecast do something like this? I know there's a 3rd party receiver app for Android...
>>
>>52633845

No. But if you run into any issues, run Daz again.
>>
Is pfsense hard to use/could I fuck up my PC with it?
And can it be used if I play online games occasionally?
>>
I want to build a rig that can run new AAA game (GTA 5, MSG 5, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Crysis 3) maxed, at 1080p, 60fps, with 2-4xAA.

What CPU and GPU should I pick up?
>>
>>52634793
na, pfsense is pretty easy to use

the interface is similar to most routers, only with way more features
>>
>>52634533
No, my TV has 2 HDMI inputs and no VGA inputs. The setup goes like this:

Laptop > VGA cable > VGA to HDMI adapter > TV.

TV is good, is about 4 months old.
>>
>>52634830
Your laptop doesn't have a digital output? You would do better to use Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or similar if you have that. The adapter is probably going to be cheaper too. Everything I've seen from the last most of a decade has some form of digital output...
>>
>>52634803
Since you didnt post a budget I am going to be a dick and tell you Intel 5930K and 980TI in 3way sli.
>>
>>52634763
you can using a chrome extension
but you would only be mirroring your laptop screen to one tv with hdmi connection.
you said you want one laptop screen to multiple laptops. I'm guessing there's hardware options for that but I was thinking how I would do it without spending money.
>>
>>52634858
My laptop is from 2008 and only has S=Video and VGA. The adapter was free.
>>
>>52634910
I mean use the other laptops as Chromecast receivers (i.e. the TV end). There's an Android app out there to act as a Chromecast receiver, YouMap Cast Receiver. I don't know if there's a Windows or Linux program to do this.
>>
>>52634912
Also Firewire lol
>>
>>52634946
thinking of finally updating win7 to win 10 on my laptop. how does it compare?
some of its features look really good. i can just make cortana and all the stupid bullshit app stuff fuck off right?
>>
>>52634968
didn't mean to reply to >>52634946
>>
>>52634895
dank
as
fuck

let's say I'd like to build the rig with a max budget of €1200
>>
When my phone is charging, is there any way to stop charging until battery drop below 70% and to not use the battery while charging?

It'd act as if there was no battery if batt is above 70%, just like my laptop does
>>
>>52635014
Any quad core i5 and R9 390 if you want to game in 1080p.
>>
>>52634910
im the original i actually want to broadcast the display through wifi
what i need is to make about 4 virtual servers on a laptop all of them playing a set of videos and the 4 brand of laptops would show one of the servers' display
basically the target laptops would just show the videos without playing them and lock the screen so retards would not just unlock it and fuck it up
>>
>>52634937
first time I read about youmap cast receiver
from what I just read it works using vnc clients(first reply I gave you)
so it should work.
>>
>>52634946
I remember Firewire being useful back when a friend had this dumb DV tape camera and that's all it would plug into apart from composite video out.

>>52634968
You can turn off Cortana (and you actually can't turn it on unless you associate your Windows account with a Microsoft account). You can uninstall most of the apps and turn off the idiotic recommended apps. You "can't" disable forced updating though, but there are ways.

I still don't find the new Start menu as nice as the Windows 7 one -- remember how you could pin basically anything you like there? Well, now it's a lot more limited.

>>52635017
>When my phone is charging, is there any way to stop charging until battery drop below 70% and to not use the battery while charging?
Why do you want this? You know Li-ion batteries don't have the same memory effect issues as NiCd. IIRC Li-ion actually rather like being topped off rather than deep discharged.
>>
>>52635052
thanks dude
>>
I heard that updating the SSD's firmware after the OS has been installed is bad and risky

Is this true? Magician says there's a firmware update available for my SSD but I don't want to fuck anything up
>>
would installing windows 7 home basic instead of win7 ultimate on a really old laptop (512 mb ram) make it any better at all?
if not will probably go lubuntu or something
>>
best server PSU for less than 50€?

will be used with this MB
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/ASRock-N3150-ITX-SoC-So-BGA-Dual-Channel-DDR3-Mini-ITX-Retail_1004263.html

non consumer grade, if possible
need 3x sata
>>
>>52635170
No. It would just force Aero off rather than letting you turn it off.

At 512 MB (can be upgrade?), you're better off with either XP or some Linux.
>>
>>52635170
There's literally no difference between Home to Ultimate save extra bloat in the form of various utilities built into them. Basic just limits a bunch of shit and is annoying. As the other anon said, use XP instead. What are you doing with a laptop that old anyway?
>>
>>52635204
50€? I've paid more than that for a decent quality consumer PSU. Then again you probably don't need that much wattage.

Why do you want a server PSU? If it's just for the extra SATA power plugs, get a splitter or molex to SATA adapter.
>>
help me /g/:

Tomorrow is my birthday and I turn 26. What can I do for the next 4 years to stop being a total piece of shit NEET. Serious question.
>>
>>52635170

buy some laptop ram, 512 mb won't handle win 7.
>>
>>52635259
its for reliability. That server/barebone will be running 24/7

And you're right, I dont need lots of wattage, thats why I dont want to pay a lot
>>
>>52635280
You could either become a wageslave or kill yourself. Killing yourself bypasses the misery btw
>>
>>52635258
it's my friend's
>>
>>52635310
there has to be more options than that
>>
>>52635394

Rob a bank.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some better utility software for over- (or more specifically in this case, under-) clocking than MSI Afterburner?

Not only does that allow -500 MHz underclocking max but it doesn't even fucking show the current values, only relative ones (for NVIDIA Graphics).

I need to underclock my GPU's memory clock because I have basically the same problem as described here
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2227490/nvidia-driver-crashing-recovering.html#14288771

except in my case I have
>800 MHz DRAM (x2 for 1600 MHz) on my mb's memory
and
>1250 MHz GPU memory clock (x2 for 2500 MHz) on NVIDIA GTX 960M

So according to the 'solution' mentioned in that thread, I have to underclock my GPU memory clock by approximately -450.

As I said, MSI Afterburner allows up to -500. However, it goes from the total 2500 effective memory clock, so if I decrease it by the maximum -500, it only reduces it from 1250 to 1000 MHz (half the decrease).

So

1) is there any utility that allows me to underclock by a larger amount?
2) is that even safe to underclock it by that much?
3) any smarter ideas appreciated.
>>
>>52635280
get off 4chan.
all they do here is tell you to suck dick for money, show dick, kill self.
if you leave now you will be ahead of most fags here.
>>
>>52635259
are these any good? (consumer grade)
http://pastebin.com/yWiiwfZt
>>
Good software to store my passwords?
>>
>>52635091
>Why do you want this? You know Li-ion batteries don't have the same memory effect issues as NiCd. IIRC Li-ion actually rather like being topped off rather than deep discharged.

Oh it's not about the memory effect, and I've read li-ion are best stored at 70-80% capacity. And even then, I connect my phone everyday but I don't use much more than 10% so it's getting a lot of charge cycle for nothing.
>>
>>52635280
start healthy habits, stop gaming
>>
>>52635557
keepass for windows (and linux through mono).
keepassx for mac and linux.
keepassdroid for android
don't ever use an online solution.
>>
>>52635514
>>52635626
Translation: become a wageslave

Someone already suggested that
>>
my logitech g400 has kicked the bucket and now i need a new mouse

how's the Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury?
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28544/logitech-g402-hyperion-fury-fps-gaming-mouse
seems around the same price range
>>
>>52635691
I didn't even mention economic in that post

if you were a neet for years, continue but without feeling like shit
>>
>The R9 390 is a refreshed R9 290

What does "refreshed" mean in this context
>>
>>52635639
Got the Pro version for Windows, gonna try it later, thanks.
>>
>>52635780
It's more or less the same card with some minor firmware updates.
>>
>>52635780
You rebrand the card to charge full price again.
>>
>>52635780

Same card but slightly better.
>>
File: fgcdgcg.png (26 KB, 927x556) Image search: [Google]
fgcdgcg.png
26 KB, 927x556
Why the fuck won't the second site load outside my network?

It's forwarded the same, identical sharing permissions, everything. Yet it continues to time out.
>>
>>52635170
me again
after a bit of research, should i go with lubuntu or zorin os? (never heard of this one before)
machine has 512 mb ram and he has not used linux before.

thanks
>>
>>52635713
>>52635713
pls respond
>>
>>52635973
no
>>
Can somebody tell me what the difference between the audio here is exactly ?
I mean all of them work so why is there 2x each ?
that's a 1:1 rip of a Bluray
Thanks guys
>>
why does lreducing upload speed in my torrent client also gimp download speed?

is this shit designed so if it notices you're not seeding, it gives you shit download speeds to punish you?
>>
>>52636031
Yes, you non seeding fucking asshole
>>
Crit my dank ass build, homies:

Purpose: gaming, 1080p, 60fps, high/max settings

GPU - R9 290
CPU - i5 6400
Fan - 212 Evo
MOBO - ASRock Z170 Pro4S
RAM - 8GB DDR4
HDD - 1TB
SSD - 240GB (Sandisk Extreme Pro)
PSU - EVGA GS 650W
Case - Enthoo Pro

This all comes in for a little over a grand, in euros.
>>
Stick with Windows 7 or upgrade to 10?

http://strawpoll.me/6647495
>>
>>52635889
i don't know much about IIS but shouldn't the website files be in the www directory ?
>>
>>52636105
>290
Should have bought a 390
>6400
Should have bought a 6500
>Asrock mobo
kek
>>
Is there anything I can do to limit the speed of chromecasts on my wifi? Whenever one gets activated everyone else gets dropped and can't reconnect. I've had to go plug in via ethernet to ban the MAC addresses to even connect to the network to ask
>>
>>52636136
8.1 / FEDORA
>>
>>52636136
>Putting a captcha on a strawpoll
Have you considered sodomising yourself?
>>
>>52636247

People figured out how to fuck with the results without a captcha
>>
Water damage on my laptop. HDD was partitioned to windows 8 and linux. Took out the hdd and plugged it into my desktop but it can only find the partition with linux. Why?
>>
>>52636231
QoS in wifi router settings. Give the chromecast lowest priority. or just play around with it.
find the mac address of the chrome through the arp table.
>>
>>52636060

joke's on you I set a way higher upload speed and I'm still getting 2 mbs down 30 kbs up :^)
>>
>>52636060
I generally don't seed for long time because I heard it's what gets you the nasty mails

>>52636185
got a asrock mobo, nothing wrong with it
>>
>>52636272
some manager has to select what to boot
perhaps you/windows tried to auto fix and it fucked it up?
did you happen to have another drive like a small SSD?
>>
/g/ how to make a chromium like scrollbar for a gtk2 theme with the default engine
>>
>>52636185
Getting a 6500 (which is just an OC'ed 6400) over a 6400 is stupid since you can just OC the 6400 yourself.
>>
>>52636142
No? That's just the default directory.
>>
What's the subnet mask for 192.168.1.4?
>>
What's the secret to redirecting your browser to the external caches if 404?
>>
How do I screenshot?
>>
if I decide to fall for the windows 10 meme can I tell the installer to put it in another drive instead of the one where I have windows 7?
>>
>>52635160
it'd be a good idea to make a backup first
>>
I'm trying to see porn star's photos on snapchat now that it seems to be the "in" thing.

I added Maseratixxx to my friends list and I can see her on there now.

But there are no photos. Does she have to manually accept me on her friends list?
>>
>>52636028
most likely one is DTS and the other is DTS-MA
DTS is an older, lossy format, but more compatible
DTS-MA is a newer, lossless format, but not everything supports it
>>
>>52636493
subnet-calculator.com/
>>
I'm using Chrome right now and /adv/ is the only board that won't load while accessing from the side menu. It also won't display all pages when I scroll down or click the option to do so.

I don't know what's going on
>>
>>52636650
I found that too but the subnet mask doesn't change when you put in an IP
>>
>>52636620
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapchat
>Users set a time limit for how long recipients can view their Snaps (as of September 2015, the range is from 1 to 10 seconds), after which Snapchat claims they will be deleted from the company's servers.
>>
is there an up to date list of all the Windows 7 updates I should avoid because they're telemetry and Windows 10 cancer?

First thing I did after installing windows was disable automatic updates but I need somewhere to check which new updates I should or shouldn't allow
>>
is there an up-to-date list of windows 7 updates I should avoid because they're telemetry/Windows 10 cancer?
>>
>>52636719
>>52636779
>F5 several times and my original post doesn't show up
>make another post and now the first one appears

good job 4chan
>>
>>52636718
I know that but she says she leaves them up for 24 hours and sends out several a day.
>>
>>52636711
do you know what a subnet mask is? your question is wrong.
a subnet is a range of IPs. there is not subnet mask for 192.168.1.4 since it's one IP.
if you want the range between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.4 you can use the calculator to find it
>>
>>52636779
>>52636719
It's futile, every version of Windows is completely compromised
>>
>>52636845

as long as I can avoid getting the windows 10 nagware I'm fine
>>
>>52636831
I'm trying to rate limit the 192.168.1.4 IP address through my router, it wants a subnet mask too, I've tried every combination of zeros and 255s but it just keeps saying 'The Subnet Mask does not match the IP'.

If you can't get a subnet mask from an IP then what is it trying to tell me?
>>
File: pizza-pepperoni-w857h456.jpg (90 KB, 857x456) Image search: [Google]
pizza-pepperoni-w857h456.jpg
90 KB, 857x456
>>52636644
have this as compensation my lord
thanks
>>
File: GmRw2Md[1].png (25 KB, 483x199) Image search: [Google]
GmRw2Md[1].png
25 KB, 483x199
What does it mean?
>>
File: hdmisplitter.jpg (93 KB, 1067x559) Image search: [Google]
hdmisplitter.jpg
93 KB, 1067x559
Alright dumb ass question here.

Would pic related work with an HDMI to DVI adapter? I'm looking at a really nice projector that only has one DVI input, and most of my electronics only have an HDMI input.
>>
ok weird problem /sqt/
A while back I ran into a strange issue where it seemed I was unable to access GitHub and only GitHub from my computer and my computer alone (other computers on the same network did not have that issue). Eventually I found another 2 websites that I also couldn't access and found a pattern: all their ip addresses started with 192, which was the beginning of all the ip addresses on my home network; so I assume my computer was somehow confusing the LAN with the WAN. Weird issue, but I fixed it just by changing the way the router assigned ips. Easy enough

Now however, I am finding that my entire network cannot access http://verizonwireless.com and I cannot find any other websites that I'm having this problem with. I've been having this issue for months, my network and my network only can't access verizonwireless.com. All requests time out. It DOES resolve the ip address, just any requests time out.

I'm not sure if the other issue was related, but I thought I should mention it just in case. It's not a huge issue since I can access it on other networks and when using mobile data, but that's a pain.
Any idea what's going on /sqt/?
>>
Using maim. Got Barry's bash imgur script. Put it in ~/bin/imgur with chmod so it's got permissions as /usr/bin/imgur. Put it in ~/.bash_profile $PATH as:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin/imgur

Put this in my i3 config:

# Upload selected region screenshot to imgur
bindsym --release Shift+Print maim -s /tmp/screenshot.png; imgur /tmp/screenshot.png

Reloaded i3 and get "This configured command for this shortcut could not be run successfully."

Got errors saying "Expected one of these tokens: <end>, '[', etc. Dunno what I did wrong.
>>
What are the functional differences between one-key encryption and password-protected file compression?
>>
>>52637124
null pointer dereference. entry level coding bug.
>>
>>52637280
a few years ago my ISP used modems that couldn't connect to any IP address ending with .254
It drove me nuts because certain websites just didn't work and no one else seemed to have issues.
I modem change fixed it.

Try calling your ISP and tell them they a shit.
>>
>>52637452
same thing happened to steamwebhelper a few times and it never happened before
>>
>>52637466
Alright I'll try that.
Only issue is that I don't have any pattern to go off of.
>>
>>52637280
Are you connected through both wireless and wifi at once? I never notice until a random website doesn't connect.
>>
How do I transfigure the n-squared resistor network and calculate its resistance between two arbitrary points?
>>
>>52637507
>wireless and wifi
Aren't those the same thing?
Unless you mean ethernet and wifi
In which case no, just ethernet
>>
Is there any external device I could use to control the system volume of my computer?

Only reason I'm asking is because I want a 60% keyboard but These usually lack media controls. A Control Freak is an option, but that's a last resort because of the amount of wiring it would need due to the way my area is set up.
>>
Trying to purchase Wifi card, either USB or PCI.
Is there any actual difference between those two after all?

What models would You recommend, there is actually a HUGE choice here.
I would like to have possibility to move antenna just a bit away from my case, as it might just lower my signal power due to interference. Are there models with extended
>>
How many amps would a 3570 (non-k) and an AMD 390 require from the 12V rail? No replies like "hurr you need a 900W PSU".
>>
>>52636554
Screenshot from operating system?
PrintScrn key will do the work.
Also You may use tools, like IfranView which allow You to pick variety of screengrab modes.

From web browser?
For Firefox there is ScreenGrab, since FireShot went paid. You can save full page, current view or selection.
>>
How do I fix graphics card/audio interference? what are the most common causes and fixes?
My monitor speakers buzz like a bad radio whenever I use 3d apps or games, no interference when I use a headset, oldest story in the book really.

yeye get some fucking speakers I know, feel free to recommend an old cheap model.
>>
File: Screenshot (37).png (387 KB, 1483x499) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (37).png
387 KB, 1483x499
Should I do it? I'm not concerned with scaling.
>>
>>52637960
Yes.
>>
>>52635509

If you downclock your GPU by more than 500 then you're risking permanent damage if you don't lower the voltage by at least 66% of the stock voltage.
>>
File: Fuuta.png (44 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Fuuta.png
44 KB, 350x350
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VZ3Fzy
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9zLDBm

Questions :
1. Is this good DOTA 2 Machine? Is there something wrong in my build? I just slapped my shit here and there
2. Which is better?
3. Is "Dual Graphics" AMD parroting around even good
4. Is Mail-in rebate a meme? do you guys have experiences with it?

Please respond.
>>
>>52637321
PLAYS HALP!
>>
>>52638029
Honestly, why not go with an Intel Pentium? If it's just DOTA2 that you're playing, you're not going to need a quad core processor. Plus, the Pentium will most likely use less power, which could be a concern with AMD and that tiny PSU you've chosen.

You could probably get by with only 4gb of RAM.
>>
I've heard that Google may recruit programmers based on their search queries. Is that really true or just another hoax?
>>
K, top tier autism incoming, why the fuck does changing the value of the second element in array second also change the value of the second element in array first?

code: (inb4 online ide, on library chromebook atm, no other choice)

/* package whatever; // don't place package name! */

import java.util.*;
import java.lang.*;
import java.io.*;

/* Name of the class has to be "Main" only if the class is public. */
class Ideone
{
public static void main (String[] args) throws java.lang.Exception
{
int[] first = {4,5,6};
int[] second = first;

for (int i = 0; i < second.length; i ++){
System.out.println(first[i]);
}

second[1] = 7;

for (int i = 0; i < first.length; i ++){
System.out.println(first[i]);
}

int answer = first[1] * second[1];

System.out.println(answer);
}
}
>>
>>52638263
answer comes out to be 49, why is it 7 * 7 and not 5 * 7, wut
>>
>>52638263
>>52638281
because you set second[1] to 7.

before that you merely referenced second = first.

first and second are the same array, if you change the value of first[] you basically change it for second as well.

http://stackoverflow.com/a/5785754
>>
how do i merge two partitions on my hard drive?
windows 10
>>
Interference/performance wise is there any difference between a flat Ethernet cable and a regular round one?
>>
File: g youre my only hope.png (44 KB, 706x176) Image search: [Google]
g youre my only hope.png
44 KB, 706x176
>Updating nvidia drivers
>get to 361.43
>failed to install every time

My card is a 740m for a laptop.
>>
>>52638029
Your build is fine.
Ignore
>>52638150
He's an intel shill.
>>
>>52638355
Yes.
None of those flat ones are rated (ignore literally every Cat5E rating you find on flat cables.)
They're not twisted, shielded, etc. So for anything other than basic 10/100 home networking use they are unsuited.
>>
Is there a desktop image dumper yet that actually works?
>>
>>52635509
That post is full of fud.
Why are you using that shitty msii software and not the stock nvidia software?
Enable coolbits and you get oc panels.
It sounds like the game is just made shitty.EVERY gpu acts like this, taking a small fraction of your ram. Either your card is defective, or the game has an issue in it
>>
>>52638360
Lol I have the exact same problem as yours, I've tried everything, reinstalling everything, even a full restore didn't fix this problem (didn't full restore just to try and fix this problem)
Have a 635m
>>
>>52638381
thanks, i'm looking for a CAT7 cable but i need to make sure it actually is one. Are there any brands in UK which sell proper CAT7 cables or should I just get whatever ebay has to offer?
>>
I'll ask here since I was ignored in the other thread.

>>52637795
>>
>>52634676
You need at least a 22inch monitor to benifit from 1080p
anything lower you wont.
>>
>>52638360
>>52638434

you're not supposed to update laptop gpu drivers with anything other than the stuff provided by the laptop's manufacturer
>>
>>52638368
Na, I'm not an Intel shill, the pentium is cheaper which is why I recommend it.
>>
>>52638360
Uninstall, run CCleaner, reboot. Re Download and install
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96879/en-us
>>
Does anyone have some reading material on how to start with servers?
>>
File: 70613001.gif (12 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
70613001.gif
12 KB, 300x250
>>52633616
I need help with video recording. If I’m am in the wrong place. Redirect me please.

My company has about 200 Independent contractors that work wherever they wish. Some of them live ~80 miles away and are not able to attend our weekly trainings. My boss wants to record these trainings to put on Youtube. What is my best wireless lav mic option if I get a Cannon VIXIA HF R42. I have done some research and can’t seem to find what I need.
Also if you think there is a better option for camera I will take ALL suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>52638537
Well where do I find ASUS' nvidia drivers then?
>>
Good free program to run iso's? Nero seems different now so not sure I want to still use that...
>>
>>52638488
Do You know already at which language You will be working at?

Not sure about starting books, but do not pick up specifications at start. They are not to read from desk to desk, but rather to refer OR get more insight about particular mechanism.

>>52638627
Do You mean operating systems? Any particular OS?
Or implementing server machines as well?

First of all, specify what would be server for. NAS? Mail server? Owncloud? Etc?
How many users?
>>
>>52638433
>That post is full of fud.
Maybe, but I browsed all the NVIDIA driver crashing complaints posts on the forums and they all say that you can either do trivial stuff (reinstall drivers, rollback drivers, change "Power management options" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, etc.) which typically doesn't help or underclock the memory clock / core clock and that solves it. Not to mention it seemed to help the posters in the linked thread as well.

I am using shitty MSI software since I read on /g/ a few years ago that it's the best overclocking utility program. NVIDIA seems to have gotten rid of their Device Settings in the Control Panel in the newest models. What else am I supposed to use then? This outdated turd is what you get when you search NVIDIA's page for overclocking utilities
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

The only alternative I can think of is using EVGA Precision, which "recommends" itself for the GTX 900 series, but /g/ said it's terrible in comparison.
>>
>>52638595
Right,factor in the mobo switch.
>>
File: textarea.jpg (67 KB, 898x320) Image search: [Google]
textarea.jpg
67 KB, 898x320
html question

/g/ i have a textarea that will contain random data
i want the data to fill the textarea evenly & fully
and it should

but for whatever reason it has line breaks at / characters
how can I stop this behavior, how can i stop these line breaks
(i cant just remove all / since that would corrupt the data)

pic related, to show what im talking about
>>
>>52638488
C++
>>
File: googlelogo_color_272x92dp.png (13 KB, 544x184) Image search: [Google]
googlelogo_color_272x92dp.png
13 KB, 544x184
>>52638627
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reading+material%3A+servers

kinda sarcastic but op said google it first
>>
>>52638433
Oh yeah, didn't read the second half, guess I'll try that then.
>>
>>52638684
Check out the word-wrap and word-break CSS properties
>>
>>52638665
>NVIDIA seems to have gotten rid of their Device Settings in the Control Panel in the newest models.
Enable coolbits
Go open up stock nvidia control panel
Go to powermizer tab
Notice new options at the bottom of the page.

You dont need to underclock a stock gpu.There is something else faulty, gpu, software, at hand.
>>
File: g what the fuck.png (17 KB, 419x380) Image search: [Google]
g what the fuck.png
17 KB, 419x380
Installed the driver from the nvidia website, and this shit is now showing.

What the fuck.
>>
>>52638640

go to asus website and search for your specific model and there should be a page where you download drivers

at least that's how itworks with HP
>>
>>52638660
Data exchange and webhosting. Maybe some lightweight gaming on the side. I just know jack shit about servers and where to look for the info.
>>52638691
I tried my best, but the top awnsers guide to minecraft servers. And that lmgtfy showed only posts about hillary for some reason.
>>
Would I need to kill redshift in the task manager every time I want to change the brightness setting in redshift?
>>
>>52638726
that was it
word-break: keep-all
kept fucking up thinking it was word-wrap
thanks anon
>>
>>52638815
no problem, it's a weird set of properties
>>
>>52638803
look up LAMP
look at the game servers website and see how their software works
>>
>>52633641
I guess you answered your own question.

buy amd or pick a diff mobo
>>
File: My Problem.png (51 KB, 1531x904) Image search: [Google]
My Problem.png
51 KB, 1531x904
Hello,
I have been looking for a way to auto-resize a horizontal splitter (or the entire window if easier) to fit the aspect ratio of an album art instead of resizing the album art.
Anyone know how to do this in foobar2000?

Wasn't sure if this belonged on /wg/ or /wsr/, sorry if that was the case.
>>
File: Degree.jpg (124 KB, 1262x582) Image search: [Google]
Degree.jpg
124 KB, 1262x582
>>52638660
>>52638689
Here's more or less what I'm going to do, I don't have the specifics yet, but I don't know if I can jump straight into Java for example.
>>
>>52638909
DONT do java.
worse mistake you can make
Stay with the standard stock languages
>>
>>52634793
I havent had any problems with Pfsense and I am an idiot.

Though when you want to find something you need it can be a pain in the ass because the way the menus in the ui are setup is not intuitive.
>>
File: Mercier9.jpg (433 KB, 565x753) Image search: [Google]
Mercier9.jpg
433 KB, 565x753
>>52638934
What's better the i5-4690K or the i5-6500?
>inb4 You can't overclock the 6500, you can.
>>
>>52638803
sorry then. waste of your time
>>
File: 1344638326960.jpg (38 KB, 555x555) Image search: [Google]
1344638326960.jpg
38 KB, 555x555
Quick stupid question.

Recently my chrome has been crashing pages when I hover over exceedingly large images. This never used to happen. If it was very big it would just load slower and re size for me.

This "Aww, Snap. Something went wrong when displaying this webpage" is a fairly recent development. Is there some way to fix this through chrome?
>>
>>52638934
Well that's what the degree includes, I can't really pick. I'll give C+++ a try.
>>
File: cyberfox pale moon sync.png (542 KB, 936x934) Image search: [Google]
cyberfox pale moon sync.png
542 KB, 936x934
>>52633616
What's the best way to sync my bookmarks between Cyberfox and Pale Moon? Last I checked Pale Moon still doesn't support Firefox Sync, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.
>>
is it ok for standard black electrical tape to get moderately hot (70-80 c) ?
>>
>>52639028
On the last roll I bought I think it listed its temperature tolerance as being around 70c. What are you using it for?
>>
on a live cd how do i access the handbook? crux linux
>>
>>52639015
Dont use cyberfox or palemoon
They offer nothing, while taking alot.
>>
File: smuggest snail.jpg (95 KB, 575x372) Image search: [Google]
smuggest snail.jpg
95 KB, 575x372
>>52639015
>meme moon
>>
>>52638772
Uhhh

I don't know what these mean, but I know that PCI has something to do with the graphics card. What the fuck is going on. It says they need driver software, but it says it can't find it.

ASUS laptop, by the way.

At one point I went to Windows 10, didn't like it, and did a fresh install of Windows 8.1, maybe it's some after effects of needing proprietary drivers for ASUS?
>>
>>52639015
Could export your old favorites as a file of urls, then import the list into Pale Moon?
>>52639028
General use 3M electrical tape is rated to 80 C, so I'd say be careful. They make ones rated up to 105 C if you aren't sure.
>>
File: 1405834245232.jpg (65 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1405834245232.jpg
65 KB, 500x667
>>52639103
>pe do
>>
>>52639181
It's okay, she is a 20-something year old ghost in the show.
>>
>>52639204
yeah and dora the explorer is 45
>>
>>52639130
I have literally thousands of bookmarks going back like 10 years. I want something that's automated too.

>>52639089
>>52639103
Stock Firefox is shit, and so is every other browser out there.
>>
>>52639222
Then there isn't an issue, is there?
Of course one show had a non-frozen timeline, and the other didn't, but that doesn't make a difference.
One character also acted accurately to their appearance, and the other didn't. That's okay too though.
>>
>>52639268
So you mean that firefox can't go
File>Import & Export>Export>Favorites
to a file? Why even bother?
>>
File: 1412430564673.jpg (262 KB, 1593x1429) Image search: [Google]
1412430564673.jpg
262 KB, 1593x1429
>>52639284
luh ya dan
>>
>>52639304
It can. I just don't feel like doing it that way. Whatever, I guess this is the best I can expect from /g/
>>
>>52639268
I uh literally have the same profile from back in 2004 aswell
Using firefox-esr(lts)
There is nothing wrong with stock firefox, the meme's you listed are placebo and have no changes in them beyond "lulzspeeeeeeeeedzzzzzzzz"
>>
File: 1451921451428.jpg (67 KB, 416x508) Image search: [Google]
1451921451428.jpg
67 KB, 416x508
>>52639326
>gets told how to d o it with the most basic functionality STOCK in the browser
>be told this
>WELL /G/ MUST BE ASSHOLES FOR TELLING ME THE STOCK DEFAULT WAY TO MANAGE SOMETHING THATS IN THE STOCK BROWSER

Get fucked faggot
>>
>>52639336
Nigga please. Do you think I really like using Australis?
>>
>>52639361
I asked for an automated solution. I was told how to do it the manual way. Do you really think I never thought of it myself?
>>
>>52639363
Not using CTR?

>>52639389
How is it not automatic?
You press a button once
then you press another button once
>>
File: PHOTO_20160126_222555.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
PHOTO_20160126_222555.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
quick question about airflow. i wanted to do a custom watercooling loop for the cpu as learning experience, but the reservoir i bought doesn't fit anywhere except the top. i have a 120mm rad and 2 120mm fans at the front of the case. will the 2 fans pulling in cool air at the front and expelling it through the back provide sufficient airflow? the reservoir blocks where i could put fans at the top.
>>
>>52639412
Because I have to press buttons to do it. And yes, I do use CTR.
>>
>>52639389
I don't understand. The browser would do it by itself when you tell it to export/import.
How is that not automated?
Did you just want there to be one button (export and auto import) instead of two (click export click import)?
>>
>>52633616
what is a good linux book?
>>
>>52639429
Kill yourself.
>>
>>52639458
It's automated, it's not automatic. I should have made myself clearer. Anyway, it looks like what I'm looking to do isn't possible, at least not without third party addons. And believe me, I've tried coming up with an automated syncing system for Pale Moon before using Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

>>52639501
I wouldn't expect any less from /g/. You guys are a bunch of tossers.
>>
File: 1448713865875.png (770 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448713865875.png
770 KB, 1280x720
>>52639535
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
Does python have any support on smart phones?
>>
My roommates PC skills are rather unimpressive, but he works heavily with Photoshop. Since his old PC died, I got him a new one. He now asks me to get PS for him but I don't know shit where to find it Torrent + keygen? Cracked Torrent? Does Adobe gives out older versions for free?
>>
how do i single quote in 4chan's native filter regex
>>
>>52639591
Search for "photoshop" and your favorite tracker and thats about all you need to do.
>>
>>52633882
no
>>
I need a new HDD to store music and videos.
Am I stuck with WD and HGST, or does Seagate no longer have a 20% failure rate?
>>
>>52639535
Eh, sorry I guess I can't really help you then. I've never switched between browsers before, and when I would do a fresh install I'd just have a txt of all the URLs I wanted to save, or go off of memory.
>>52639563
>REEEEE
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>52638657
Daemon light
>>
File: 1448248842141.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448248842141.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
>>52639753
>>
I know for certain that my windows 7 pc has copies of microsoft word and excell. So why do they not appear in my start menu? Why do they not appear as optional "open with" applications and default programs?
>>
>>52639015
FEBE
also stop using shitty forks
>>
File: temp.png (3 KB, 213x161) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
3 KB, 213x161
I can't figure out what's wrong with my computer. The other day it started blue screening, saying "system service exception" about 30 seconds after logging in to my account. I fucked around with some drivers like a moron, did a system restore, and now it's not BSing, but I can't seem to run games. I'll try and start something and it'll either
>crash instantly
>freeze on a black screen
>play sound but not respond to button input and have a black screen.

I'm running Windows 8.1, and for some reason it also has pic related in the corner at all times. Any idea what might be wrong here? I'm full on too stupid to know where to begin.
>>
File: a5dfc8b455.png (138 KB, 1454x696) Image search: [Google]
a5dfc8b455.png
138 KB, 1454x696
Why the FUCK does anyone make programs that use the pictured methods for uploading a file?
Unless you keep the entirety of your computer on your desktop like an animal, the file you're looking for is NEVER going to be less than five clicks away, in the left case, or APPROXIMATELY A BILLION, with the shit type 2.

Is it a compatibility issue of some kind? Is there some reason why the people coding the abominations sporting these upload methods were forced at gunpoint to use this method, when the standard prompt allowing the use of FUCKING FOLDER FAVORITES is objectively better on every possible account measurable by man and machine?

I want to know if the people using Shit type 1 and 2 literally have NO CHOICE for their sin, or if they purposefully made something that was FUCKING SHIT, AND ON PURPOSE.
>>
>>52639838
You mean stock programming standards?
>>
>>52639811
reinstall windows
>>
>>52639811
Not to bump my own post but I just went through my steam library to test stuff, and weirdly enough MGSV works just fine. Runs smoothly, with seemingly nothing wrong. I didn't play for an extended period of time, but I think this is sufficient evidence that it's not a hardware problem like I thought it might be.
>>
>>52639621
I don't have one... Only things I ever torrent are anime and toku.
>>
is learning to code even useful?
>>
>>52639870
The only times you're going to be seeing shit type 1 and 2 is when using some pre-98 application, or something by an amateur making his first application.

It's not a 'standard' when the only ones using it are unpolished amateurs and the computer equivalent of dinosaurs.
>>
>>52639884
then you either find one in the overflowing sea
or you know
google.com > "photoshop torrent"
I mean come on man
>>
>>52639873
Is that really the best way to do this? That's sort of my last resort option.

I'm also running a pirated copy of 8.1; would it be worth it to try and upgrade to 10 at this point?
>>
>>52639890
Ever found yourself doing something really tedious on your computer? Most people have, and if you knew how to tell the computer to do it for you, you wouldn't have to do it every time.
Programming basically alleviates you from having to do mundane crap, and can also help you do things you can't do manually without considerable effort.
>>
>>52639895
Dont use shit software then?(your opinion)
>>
>>52639952
You know perfectly well that it's often not a choice.
I was just baffled that someone wouldn't choose the objectively better choice, when there is no difference of performance, compatibility, or difficulty of implementation in any program that has to make that choice.

I couldn understand it in the past, but now there's a choice, a BETTER one.
To suck that bad you have to be doing it on purpose.
>>
>>52639838
>>52639895
Type 1 is literally the most common way to choose a file to upload.
What you ignored, however, is that most will recall the last location you uploaded anything from, and will usually default to your documents.
I don't really see the problem with type 1. At any rate, if you have such a better idea, make it yourself.
>>
I bought a used video card recently, and I found that its fan was louder than I'd like. So I removed the heatsink, then applied clipper oil to the fan (ball) bearing and applied new thermal paste to the GPU. The thermal paste was very effective in decreasing the temperatures.
But after applying oil to the fan bearing, the fan seems to have taken on a rough, abrasive sound and a rattle.
Was it a bad idea to put a few drops of clipper oil on the fan bearing? What could have gone wrong? What should I do with it now?
>>
sorry, my google-fu failed me.

I just bought a notebook, it is asus. my problem is when I try to click on mouse pad it moves mouse slightly. all other notebooks I used disables mouse movement on bottom side of mouse pad however this does not.

is there a way to fix it? for left click I am simply tapping mouse pad and it is ok but right clicks are very irritating.
>>
How can I get the news companies to leave me alone? They've been gathered in front of my house all day now, I've been too scared to even leave because I know they're waiting for me out there.
>>
Is there any way to hide/obfuscate the fact that I'm running VMWare if someone remote dekstop to that virtual machine?

I managed to hide the System manufacturer/model, but not sure what to do about the device names.
>>
>>52639950
will it do my homework for me?
>>
>>52640117
C'mon, fess up, what'd you do senpai?
>>
I have an old sound card from around 1995-96. It says "Microconnect 34 wave" on it. I think it is compatible with Sound Blaster 16 drivers. Can anyone confirm this? After googling for hours i'm at my wits end.

It seems as if the card is some modem/soundcard hybrid with a joystick port at the back.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.