[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ShouldI wait for Zen or upgrade to skylake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: AMDCGRoadmap.jpg (1 MB, 3999x2250) Image search: [Google]
AMDCGRoadmap.jpg
1 MB, 3999x2250
I currently have the 8350 clocked at 4.6ghz and while its a great cheap cpu I cant get past the bottleneck it has to the GPU in games like GTA5. Also I have a 780
>>
>>52633253
*Should I
>>
Can you wait a year or not?
>>
>>52633253

*Note: Opinionated rant follows.

Desktop PC use is currently defined by two categories: workstations and gaming. The ubiquitous household browsing PC of the Nineties and Oughts has been replaced by phones and tablets. While this trend has been gloomed over ad nauseam by tech media, it affects AMD the least as they were never able to make inroads with the then-mainstream market anyways. AMD's current product categories, GPUs and CPUs, are still as relevant to the gamer (and at least in GPU, the workstation) today as they ever were.

Zen will never compete with i7. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Gaming doesn't need an i7. Therefore, all Zen has to meet in performance is the point where the GPU is no longer bound by the CPU. If AMD can meet this goal with Zen with a price that is compelling, then this is all the PC builder needs in order to begin using an recommending AMD CPUs again.

Further, AMD needs to rush Zen's efficiency gains to product spaces were top performance isn't a bounding requirement, such as HTPCs and home servers. AMD seems reluctant to refresh their Athlon revival early in the Zen product cycle but I would argue that this is exactly where Zen should go immediately as this space is underserved by Intel's offerings. In short, instead of doling out Zen's process gain in miserly dollops as Intel would, instead press it into duty along the front lines in CPUs and APUs as soon as possible.

AMD has long since passed the point where they can bet the house on one good product and then eke every cent of profit from it. Their greatest challenge now lies in winning any product comparison at all with their competitors as at almost every level, Intel or nVidia's offerings are the better value. This has created a hostile atmosphere in the builder space where AMD is expected to fail and thus far, they have not disappointed in that regard. If AMD hoards Zen as a premier flagship offering, it will fail.
>>
>>52633790
Thank you, that was beautifully put
>>
>>52633790
>>52634516
Samefag.

It's a bunch of horse shit and guesswork.
>>
File: No Samefag Today, Friendo.png (14 KB, 535x228) Image search: [Google]
No Samefag Today, Friendo.png
14 KB, 535x228
>>52634516

Thanks, although I went all autist and offtopic here, or at least meta beyond the scope of OP's thread.

>>52634558

True on the bloviation (hence the disclaimer), false on the samefaggery.
>>
>>52634558
OP here, not a samefag :^)
>>
>>52634744

Gonna make a separate thread for my rant, as I'm interested in opposing viewpoints on it. Sorry for cluttering up your thread, OP.
>>
>>52633253

your cpu shouldnt be the bottleneck at all bro. your gpu might be the culprit
>>
>>
>>52634854
5930k has higher clock and more Pcie lanes, boom
>>
8370 is competes with the 4770k
Zen has 40% faster single performance.
6700k is about 5% faster than the 4770k
7700k wont be 30% faster than 6700k

Amd might actually have a fucking chance, as long as the chipsets are good and we get proper m.2, pcie, U.2, and fucking Intel Optane support.

i cant wait to get an entire red system. big polaris and first gen zen 8 core cpu.
>>
>>52634883
If he can afford that. I kinda figured price for 6700k the 5820k is the same price if not only slightly more. Or he can wait the 6930k or whatever the fuck it is
>>
>>52634833
I have a 770 but its the classified version by evga thats overclocked to near 780 stock preformance levels. So idk
>>
If AMD introduces a 760k/860k Zen equivalent they'll own that low end market.
>>
>>52633253
Summit Ridge won't be available until the end of the year. If you're not in dire need of a performance uplift for some work related tasks then you might as well hold out. What you do with your money is your choice.

>>52633790
I'm just throwing words together and talking out of my ass: The post
Stay off this board.

>>52634907
The FX 8350 competes with an Ivy or Haswell i7 in a few heavily threaded integer bound workloads. It can't come close when using any amount of FPU, or if the op is more serial.
AMD touted 40% higher IPC than Excavator, they did not make any statement about multicore scaling, or clocks. Summit Ridge is aiming against intell's i7E line, but all of this needs to be kept in context. Neither Summit Ridge nor the i7E chips are clocked very high because of TDP limits, lower core count mainstream parts have higher clocks and higher serial performance because of it.
Summit Ridge is not for the mainstream desktop, Raven Ridge is.
Nothing is worse than idiots on the internet to drum up hype by spreading misinformation.

>>52635038
Binned APUs are always a given. If they can sell some rejected silicon instead of throwing it in the trash then they'll do it.
>>
>>52633253

Unless your biting at the chomp to spend your money, you've got a pretty decent system for 1080p.

Only reason I'd go for an unlocked intel K series would be if I was into PS2 and WiiU emulation, but for everything that's general purpose gaming then you have a good setup.
>>
>>52633790
while i largely agree with you, the "never compete with an i7" is bullshit, the current amd cpus can compete with an i7 in multicore, the zen is bringing the single core up to haswell levels and adding 8 real cpus, 16 threads, its going to kick the shit out of 6 core and less intel cpus in multi threaded and be good enough in single core to not warrant an intel over it.

granted amd could fail hard and fall on its face but i'm doubting it.

on another note, if what i have read is true they are scaling it up to 12 or 14 cores, which will eat into intels prosumer high end gamer segment, and even take some from the workstation if it uses ecc ram (which i believe it can)

>>52633253
your cpu is good enough to not hit the bottleneck hard, in fact i think the 780 has more to do with its shittyness than the cpu... i could be wrong but i believe even stock 8350 can push gta 60fps.

>>52634907
flawed logic, but also kind oc correct, if i remember right the 8370 has single core of 1200-1600 and the 4770k has 2400-2600 single core, but multicore, they are both in the 8000 range,

zen will likely push 16000 multicore while being 2300+ single core.

>>52635038
wont be out till next year, only the server branch (8 core +) will happen this year
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.