[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pale Moon v26 released
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 8
File: unnamed.png (121 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
121 KB, 300x300
http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

>>Pale Moon is now building on the new Goanna engine instead of Gecko. Although close relatives in terms of web technology, they are not the same under the hood and any reports of bugs with the layout/rendering engine should be as detailed as possible to allow us to pinpoint the cause of the bugs and fix them
>>You will need to update your language packs
>>The layout parser/renderer has received many updates with this change over to Goanna, improving web compatibility and standards compliance in many areas.
>>The browser user interface has received updates, making it more compatible with Windows 10 in many respects and more in line with the general styles of the operating system version it is run on in terms of the shapes of controls and color setting.
>>Updated graphics/media support: Pale Moon now supports the WebP image format, properly scales EXIF rotated JPEGs, has updated support for different WebGL texture formats, improved scaling of vector images, updated libpng, libjpeg-turbo, libvpx, and misc other upstream libraries/modules, and more!
>>The library now has a scope bar (pops up when searching) with the option to select what you want to search in (either bookmarks or history) and the option to save your searches.
>>Many more changes...read the release notes
>>Massive amounts of security updates since November 2015 to present day

Where were you when the best browser got better?
>>
>Where were you when the best browser got better?
On 4chan /g/ posting this from my Chrome browser.
>>
>>52632412
Still can't get Netflix working on it.
>>
>Yiff moon
lol
>>
>>52632412
>still doesn't support video codecs due to developer autism

Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>52632412
so are they splitting from firefox or what?
>>
>>52632412
How do you disable the scope bar?
>>
>>52632412
I refuse to use software made by a furfag
>>
>>52632412
HYPE

Moonchild+team have been working like crazy it seems.

Let's see if any of my add-ons works anymore
>>
>>52632651
Hope you don't use software made by SJWs or sandniggers then.

Faggot.
>>
>>52632683
I do, because there's still hope for them
>>
File: 1406912774777.jpg (37 KB, 500x720) Image search: [Google]
1406912774777.jpg
37 KB, 500x720
Why did they have top stop developing the android version?
>>
>He fell for the Placebo Moon meme
>>
Is it multithreaded ?
>>
>>52632693
Lol, hypocrite bitch
>>
Still not included in the package manager.
>>
>>52632698
It's not placebo.
>>52632693
Yeah, sandniggers will just stop being sandniggers. Like how Michael Jackson stopped being nigger?
>>
>>52632706
Even regular Furrycux isn't multiprocess yet, let alone this deprecated fork.
>>
I'll use Waterfox until Pale Moon devs replace that huge niggercock menu button on top.
>>
>>52632721
Well, at least he tried
>>
Just updated
>>
>>52632736
So what's the point of this new rendering engine ? What does it bring over gecko ? The biggest lack of gecko is efficient CPU usage, I don't see the point of making a fork if not to fix that.

>Furrycux isn't multiprocess yet
I'm aware of this, and e10 is fucking garbage. What the fuck is mozilla doing, all the other non-gecko based browsers have it for years.
>>
>>52632736
Multithreaded isn't the same as multiprocess. And technically speaking, Firefox has used two processes since 3.6 when it split flash and Silverlight and the like off into their own process.

They are still nowhere near Chrome, or IE/Edge though.
>>
>>52632738
What button? You mean the "app button"? Did you know you can change it?

Besides, the new burger menu is fucking retarded. It's directly under the close button and on the most hard-to-reach area of your screen, and not even at corner for easier clicking
>>
>Added Ecosia as a "green" search engine alternative for the environmentally aware surfer.
>>
>>52632767
>What the fuck is mozilla doing
Becoming proprietary bullshit and slowly turning into a Chrome fork
>>
>>52632767
Are you aware that multi-process is a retarded fad?
>>
>>52632797
>and slowly turning into a Chrome fork
Then why no decent multiprocess ?

>>52632801
How so ? Why would you not a program to take advantage of multicore processors ?
>>
>>52632816
>what is threading
>why does threading exist when u can just make processes???
For fucks sake, educate yourself a bit
>>
PLACEBO FURRY BOTNET
>>
>>52632412
I used to use Pale Moon when it actually had a lead on other browsers.

Browser fanboys can kill themselves.
Firefox or Pale Moon is only useful in the case of NPAPI support.

Now I am currently using the latest version of Opera. Edges out Chrome, has useful tweaks, and works better on older hardware compared to Chrome.
>>
File: Captura.jpg (178 KB, 1920x1020) Image search: [Google]
Captura.jpg
178 KB, 1920x1020
Looks beautiful
>>
>>52632827
But firefox doesn't take advantage of multicore processors. Why is threading better than multiprocess which uses several cores ?
>>
I'd use Chromium if I could change colors the way I like, and fonts, and also get rid of the horrible while flash it does when loading up a new page.
>>
>>52632874
>But firefox doesn't take advantage of multicore processors.
And how do you figure that?

>Why is threading better than multiprocess which uses several cores ?
It's more efficient
>>
>>52632907
>And how do you figure that?
Because it only uses one core on my computer.

>It's more efficient
Then why is firefox so slow compared to chrome-based engines, or internet explorer (or edge) ? Is it that mozilla are incompetent ? I tried e10 on nightly and it's total garbage.
>>
>>52632942
>Because it only uses one core on my computer.
There's separate thread for important shit like UI obviously, and outside of that I don't see where you need more parallelism in a browser. If " it only uses one core on my computer" then it didn't need any more cores at that time.

>Then why is firefox so slow compared to chrome-based engines, or internet explorer (or edge) ? Is it that mozilla are incompetent ? I tried e10 on nightly and it's total garbage.
Don't know what the fuck you are talking about, Pale Moon runs smooth as butter for me.
>>
>>52632999
>and outside of that I don't see where you need more parallelism in a browser.
When I'm loading a high number of tabs from a previous session, it takes ages while in opera (which is chrome based) it's fast as fuck.

>>52632999
>Pale Moon runs smooth as butter for me.
I have a q6600 as a CPU, and it's not smooth as butter for me. Maybe on your [email protected] it's butter smooth, but not on my old computer.
>>
>>52632864
How do you get it to look like that?
>>
>>52633051
That's just the simple white theme. If you can write CSS you can make Pale Moon look like whatever you want.
>>
Why can't they and firecux get their fucking shit together for the Android version? I have it because you can install ublock as an add-on but goddamn the browser is barely functional.
>>
Yiff in hell
>>
about:support, scroll all the way down, take a screenshot and post it here, yiffmoonfags
>>
>>52633050
>When I'm loading a high number of tabs from a previous session, it takes ages while in opera (which is chrome based) it's fast as fuck.
And how big of a percentage is that of your daily browser usage? Does Opera even load the tabs until you click them?

>I have a q6600 as a CPU, and it's not smooth as butter for me. Maybe on your [email protected] it's butter smooth, but not on my old computer.
I've used PM on an E8400 without any problems. How is this "slowness" you're experiencing even apparent? How much does it hamper your "productivity"?
>>
>>52633050
Opera is faster than Pale Moon. Please ignore this pleb. It is common knowledge that modern operating system design is built on maximizing multiprocessing.

Anyone who insists on threads needs to update their books.
>>
>>52633123
>operating system design is built on maximizing multiprocessing
Which is what threads are for you cock-munching mongoloid. Don't even talk shit about OS design if you don't know the difference between threads and processes. A process per tab is unnecessary workload on the CPU for almost no practical gain.
>>
I used this instead of Firefox for a while. It was the previous version, couple weeks back.

It kept crashing so much after it had been on for a while and crashing was main reason why I switched away from Firefox.

Now use Vivaldi in Win10 64b. Enterprise.
>>
>>52633107
>And how big of a percentage is that of your daily browser usage?
Each time I start my computer, which is several time a day (in the morning, at noon, after class).

>Does Opera even load the tabs until you click them?
There is an option for this (lazy session loading) but I don't use it.

>How is this "slowness" you're experiencing even apparent?
Pages are slow to load when they load instantly on opera.

>How much does it hamper your "productivity"?
If you count the time for start up, then starting the session, then 1 second each time I load a page, probably a couple minutes everyday. On a week it's 14 minutes. On a month it's 56 minutes, which is also 12 hours and 6 minutes per year. That's quite a lot, if you ask me.

Why would you even use palemoon over opera ? Does the google botnet hamper your "productivity"?
>>
>>52633051
https://addons.palemoon.org/themes/complete/
Here, I use White Moon theme. Tabs on top looks better with it too
>>
>>52633156
I'm entirely aware between the differences and implications of each.

When's the last time you contributed to OS development Jamal? Not as if we are dealing with a single CPU with a primitive scheduler.

Spawning multiple processes and allowing the OS to context switch has less overhead than making threads when you actually care about sharing resources.
>>
>>52633188
>Pages are slow to load when they load instantly on opera.
Weren't there render time benchmarks somewhere? Should be easy to know for certain

>If you count the time for start up, then starting the session, then 1 second each time I load a page, probably a couple minutes everyday. On a week it's 14 minutes. On a month it's 56 minutes, which is also 12 hours and 6 minutes per year. That's quite a lot, if you ask me.
And if you multiply it by 50 years it's even more. But you can look anything that way. Scratching your ass takes way more time.

Besides, most of the time I open links in new tabs on the background

>Why would you even use palemoon over opera ? Does the google botnet hamper your "productivity"?
Customizability and add-ons, the value of which anybody who's not an utter pleb should see
>>
>>52633259
>Spawning multiple processes and allowing the OS to context switch has less overhead than making threads when you actually care about sharing resources.
Sounds hard to believe
>>
>>52633270
>Scratching your ass takes way more time.
It's still more useful than waiting a second each time I load a page. Sometimes an ass itches and you need to scratch to feel better.

>most of the time I open links in new tabs on the background
Yeah, it's probably the better thing to do when you get 1 second white screen when loading a tab. They still should improve the rendering speed, rather than having users to rely on workaround like loading new tabs in background.

>Customizability and add-ons
I admit I don't use many addons, just ublock and a few other things like a capture extension or 4chanX. On that I can't really tell. I sure would like opera to be more customizable, but I can live with its design, while I can't live with having one second latency each time I load a page.
I wish Firefox and other gecko-based browsers would just get their shit together. I used Firefox too once, and a lot of people around me. Nowadays I can't think of anybody using it. I feel bad because I liked the "philosophy" behind (open source, customizable, etc...), but it just couldn't keep up with other browsers. Even MS got their shit together with IE and now edge.
>>
>>52632412
Using Chromium.
>>
>>52633381
>Yeah, it's probably the better thing to do when you get 1 second white screen when loading a tab. They still should improve the rendering speed, rather than having users to rely on workaround like loading new tabs in background.
>I admit I don't use many addons, just ublock and a few other things like a capture extension or 4chanX. On that I can't really tell. I sure would like opera to be more customizable, but I can live with its design, while I can't live with having one second latency each time I load a page.
>I wish Firefox and other gecko-based browsers would just get their shit together. I used Firefox too once, and a lot of people around me. Nowadays I can't think of anybody using it. I feel bad because I liked the "philosophy" behind (open source, customizable, etc...), but it just couldn't keep up with other browsers. Even MS got their shit together with IE and now edge.
Well it may be that I'm more used to loading times since I never used Chrome derivatives for a long time. I'd still like to see benchmarks but all google brings up is useless JS benchmarks
>>
>>52632694
Because Naked browser is better?
>>
>>52633381
Install chrome store plugin for opera.
Profit??
>>
I'd love for someone to do some benchmarks and show how embarrassingly bad it performs.
>>
>>52632783
>the new burger menu
What?
>>
>>52633905
>>
>>52633933
Just fucking move it away nigga like nigga just use the left menu button nigga
>>
>>52633740
>firefox is slow meme
I never understood this at all.It loads fine for me.
>>
>>52633963
Isn't it bolted on place?

Besides, what fucking left menu button?
>>
>>52634010
Oh wait I forgot you need an addon for that
>>
Do new versions of Greasemonkey work yet with it?
>>
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN FIREKEK WAS KILL?
>>
>>52634342
They always did.
>>
>>52632412
LMAO THAT MEME BROWSES I CNAT BELIVE UR USING THAT AHHAHAHAHAAH
>>
>>52636827
So what version are you using with PM and do 4chanx and oneechan work with it?
>>
BETTER? *LOL*

33% ES6 features, 44% CS3 and about a bit over 400 points in HTML5test.

This is not better, this just sucks!
>>
>>52637118
>html5test
>lose points if your WEB BROWSER doesn't implement full audio video streaming
>lose points if your WEB BROWSER doesn't implement proprietary DRM schemes
>>>/trash/
>>
attn crapple users: some dork on the forums built it to os x

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10789
>>
>>52632412

Behold! A Paleblood sky!

How long until the Red Moon descends and we all become beasts?
>>
>>52632412
>Pale Moon now supports the WebP image format
It’s over! Pale Moon has won and conquered!
>>
Oh... Btw. i forgot the most important... ES7 scores... 1 single fucking percent!

And no page which uses recent Javascript drafts works with Pale Moon. Hell, even Cnet is broken - you can log in but you are unable to change your user details and user settings.

Another totally broken page is Jamedo. What the fuck! Seriously, Pale Moon guy needs some real coder which is actually capable to reverse engineer/backport real necessary features which are needed for page compatibility.

But with the management of Pale Moon right now and if "development" is continuing like that, the browser will be in utterly heavy troubles at the beginning of next year!
>>
PaleFurry is outdated shit

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/tree/master/media/libpng

>Update libpng to 1.5.24

http://libpng.sourceforge.net/

>The latest released versions are libpng-1.5.26

Enjoy your security vulnerabilities

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/tree/master/media/libopus

>1.0.0

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1239078

>1.1.2

Enjoy your inferior decoding performance and lower battery life
>>
>>52637369
Even if they would want to update to the latest versions of libraries.. They can't because all stuff has to be reverse engineered and back ported for Pale Moon.

Will be funny when Mozilla has killed XUL and no Mozilla bug fixes can be used anymore to fix security holes in Pale Moon :D
>>
OUTDATED MEME BROWSER
U E R
T M O
D E W
A S
T E
E R
D
>>
>>52634342
Why would you need them?
>>
>>52637523
Bugfixes / Security updates. Running stale software is a security concern.
>>
Mark my words... in one year or about a bit more one of 2 things will happen, Pale Moon is no more or Moonchild is forced to switch to Australis, which he hates and dislikes so much because page compatibility for Pale Moon hits bottom ground.

Interested how he will explain such a shift to an Australis code base to his user base. Very interested to see him argue! Of course only if Pale Moon is still alive at that point.
>>
pale moon is bad

worse than opera
>>
Future is Otter Browser, not Pale Moon!
>>
>>52637539
>greasemonkey
>security updates
Did it even have any?

>>52637543
How does Australis relate to page compatibility?
>>
>>52637543
>australis has anything to do with page compatibility
no

>>52637276
>recent javascript drafts
if pages dont adhere to javascript standards, then of course not.

lmao at people who think browsers need to bend over to proprietary schemes made by men in suits who feed their DRM garbage to indian codemonkeys
>>
>>52637592
Seriously? Switching to the latest available Australis code base is equal with becoming an up to date browser again!

If Moonchild still wants to offer customization, he just have to bundle Classic Theme Restorer into the browser, like Cyberfox, and problems are solved.
>>
>>52637646
What does "up to date browser mean in your book"?
>>
>>52637679
A recent engine which supports more than 33% of ES6 and more than one % of ES7 features from the Javascript drafts set.
>>
>>52637704
>why doesnt my browser adhere to non-standards and not bend over to proprietary DRM
>>
>>52637679
C'Mon guys! Drafts are the future standards. More and more website developers use bleeding edge drafts to build their pages because of the impressive possibilities of what you can do with that.

If you suck in drafts, you suck in page compatibility. And it is an illusion to say that webpages will stay mostly with the standards these days.

If you are a designer, you will implement bleeding edge drafts sooner or later, because you do not want to be left behind!
>>
>>52637704
>javascript "standards"
Into the trash
>>
>>52636994
>>52634342
https://github.com/janekptacijarabaci/greasemonkey/releases/
>>
>>52637592
>Did it even have any?
I don't know but in absence of bothering to look it up I think it's safe to assume there was
>>
>>52637751
when they become standards, we should implement them. Bleeding edge is another word for buggy.
>>
>>52637794
That is the normal way. But that is not what web designers think of them today. What we call normally standard is already outdated.

Sadly drafts are the new standards. And nothing will change that course.
>>
>THEY FELL FOR THE PALEFURRYSHIT MEME
>>
The atom build makes me pretty moist
>>
>>52633516
Holy shit dude just installed this coming from palemoon and just holy shit. It's like going from black and white to kodachrome
>>
>>52632412
>Pale Moon
>the Moon is blue
>>
File: fucking captcha.png (23 KB, 346x174) Image search: [Google]
fucking captcha.png
23 KB, 346x174
Anybody else have had weird legacy captcha behaviour since the update? I used to have just the number only plates, but now I only get them like once in 5 tries and otherwise only get double word ones. Tried messing around with headers, referrers and cookies but no dice so far. Fucking captcha.
>>
>>52632412
PM sucks. It would always crash on YT for me.
>>
File: Captura.png (6 KB, 236x320) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
6 KB, 236x320
>>52632412
>>>The browser user interface has received updates, making it more compatible with Windows 10 in many respects and more in line with the general styles of the operating system version it is run on in terms of the shapes of controls and color setting.

Hey the top right buttons don't look stupid anymore

noice
>>
>>52641724
so sorry to hear you can't CHECK ON PEWDS OMGLOL properly.

I will pray for you tonight.
>>
File: moon_real_color_hubble_image.jpg (26 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
moon_real_color_hubble_image.jpg
26 KB, 580x386
>>52639660
But the Moon IS blue. It only appears to be of another color when viewed from Earth because the atmosphere interferes with the light.
>>
Can anyone run a few benchmarks (eg: octane) using Goanna and then using FF44's Gecko?
>>
i haven't updated my firefox in a long time because it just kept breaking my extensions. when i have to update it again for whatever reason, i might use this instead. getting real tired of their shit, especially supporting fucking drm
>>
File: tmg-article_main_wide_2x.jpg (267 KB, 1940x868) Image search: [Google]
tmg-article_main_wide_2x.jpg
267 KB, 1940x868
>>52642427
>the moon is blue
>>
>>52632628
gstreamer
>>
>>52642879
>implying color photo
>>
File: -626323ce7f172575.jpg (106 KB, 960x650) Image search: [Google]
-626323ce7f172575.jpg
106 KB, 960x650
>>52642945
>implying
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.