[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Successful programming stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: wallhaven-229832.jpg (419 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-229832.jpg
419 KB, 1920x1200
Here you do post your successful programming stories.

I start
> Be me, an engineer at a big tech comp
> On a chilling afternoon, about the time for me to go home, the boss of my boss (THE manager) tells me about a huge-ass needed fix that never got to me and needed to be deployed by the next day (2pm, tops, he said)
> Be fucked but still go home
> At home, start to code part of the solution (About 1/3)
> Get to work early and says that by lunch time, it'll be done, tested and sent to deploy
> Manager says: "Yes, that's what it takes when you work at ******, haha"
> Finish a solid solution by 1pm and by 2 move the brand-new ear to the testing enviroment
> Ask datacenter people to restart the jboss for me to take a final look before reporting to manager
> Do my eyes decease me?
> No change at all, It's like the newer version never went online
> Start freaking out wondering what could be the problem
> Clock never stops tikking, It's 3pm
> Go to this jboss directory and finds out that data, temp and that other cash folder are old as fuck, meaning that datacenter people simply restarted the server without cleaning out the cash
> Clean the cash and restart it myself
> Shit works fine
> There's a chance you were helped by this tiny fix at this famous web product today
>>
>>52631217
i just switched my major to comp sci and i hope my life never ends up being as boring as this story
>>
Yesterday i made hello world program in C. Am I cool?
>>
>>52631217
>be codemonkey for a company called TCS
>work is shit, repetitive and boring
>boss emails me he needs me to add a new column in a xls document and fill in values from another file
>gives me the whole day for it
>he must want me to look up and then enter the values manually
>nope.png
>write a python script to do it
>done in 10 minutes top
>run it, does the whole job in 3.6 minutes since it was a pretty big file
>spend the rest of the day browsing the internet

I rule big time
>>
>>52631217
>made a program
>it worked
>>
>>52631217
>cleaning out the cash
>>
File: cyberdyne.png (32 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
cyberdyne.png
32 KB, 560x560
>>52631217

>That image
>That setup
>That greentext

Was I the only one hoping for some good Cyberdyne green-text about programming Skynet?
>>
>>52631775
This is literally me every single day at my internship. IT life too easy
>>
>>52631217
oh i love this game

>had slight C knowledge of arduinos
>mainly php dev (backend, fuck your lame frontend shit)
>smoke a cigarette
>joking that theres no task i can't handle
oh hey so those interns that were supposed to make our rfid door locks are on vacation, think you could get that up and running before i go home?
>yup, tottaly
hahahah, wait, really?
>not doing shit else today, havent been given my new assignment yet, so why the fuck not lets give it a shot

long story short, he wired the building, and got all the maglocks in place, he had to leave by 5pm or his wife was gonna bitch (and this started at noon)

>got all the code working (sparkfun rfid is so fucking easy to use)
>setup circuit with relays and shit (i've got got extremely basic EE knowledge, but fuck you i learned how to operate a shift register in 20 minutes with no IC experience)
>synced all the cards
>created a card to unlock the door for 7 hours cause lol no clock on arduino
>wire it up
>4:59 not fucking working
>panic intensifies
>rushing to check code, it all works just fine, fuck you nerd you wired it wrong
>rush to the supply closet
>co-worked goes to check powersupply
>fucking gets zapped by a not properly connected main cable
>now that the PSU is on, go check the door
>it fucking works
>literally 5:01
>sarcastic hate ensues
I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU COULD GET IT DONE BEFORE 5 NERDO

FUCK YOU NERDO I DIDNT SHORT OUT THE PSU

was a really fucking fun 5 hours, and i felt extremely accomplished, i then setup work on an expandable system using shift registers and a web interface to control user permissions. Shifts are like the pointers of circut design so amazing, specially when i realized you could connect them in series.

and thankfully my co-worker didnt die when he got zapped from the buildings mainline.
>>
>>52631775
Curry nigger spotted
>>
>>52632840
Nope, Slav reportan in
>>
>>52632893
TCS as in Tata Consultancy Services?
>>
>throw some models together in Robot Operating System for an open source robot
>define the joints
>now have a 3D robot simulator
>suddenly hailed as a software god
>everyone else is too intimidated by ROS to even touch it
It's so easy to be king of the hill at Community College. I hope I'm surrounded by underachievers for the rest of my life.
>>
>>52632932
Yes
How do you know of it?
>>
>>52631217
>Manager says: "Yes, that's what it takes when you work at ******, haha"
fucking useless managers thinking they are hot shit when they dont even know how the shit that feeds them works
>>
>>52633279
Google "TCS" and it is in the results
>>
>>52633529

i just did

the kind of company that should fucking die because they are an insult to computer science. just one google search yields as the first result:

>IT Services, Consulting and Business Solutions

makes me want to throw up
>>
>>52631775

Is there a tutorial for that somewhere?
I don't know any practical programming and that sounds like a useful skill in any company.
>>
>>52633554
I think MIS is more along outsourced IT's realm than CS. A lot of smaller outfits don't want to hire the IT so they get services from such shops.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.