[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are blackberry's still a viable option? I was thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
Are blackberry's still a viable option?

I was thinking about picking up a q10 because I loved the keyboard so much and I'm sick of on screens.
>>
No they aren't a viable option
>>
File: IMG_20160126_022603.png (184 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_022603.png
184 KB, 720x720
Eh.
If you can get a used one for a decent price go for it.

Got mine in mint condition from a girl a 1,5 year ago. Cost me ~150 USD
It's a decent device, definately an upgrade to andromeme, but I wish It had a toolbelt like the classic and an actual application store. BB world is a joke.
>>
If you can live without apps, it's great.

The stock BB10 browser is the best on the market.
>>
>>52624267
I hardly use social media so I'm sure the app thing won't be a problem.

Pretty much just for email, text, and calls.

How is the camera?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-35-32.png (97 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-35-32.png
97 KB, 540x960
Nah. On a physical phone keyboard, you have to press down each key when you type which causes thumb strain faster and overall makes your typing speed very slow.

Something many people don't seem to realize is you can literally touch type on a touch screen phone keyboard, you just need to practice like you do on a full sized qwerty keyboard. It helps to turn off auto-correct and word suggestions.
>>
>>52623757
As someone who was forced to use one for about 2 years, I can tell you I highly recommend against it. My Q10 I had was annoyingly frustrating to use. The gesture crap was horrible especially when my hands were the slightest bit damp (sweat from being on a roof all day) and also the software was just badly laid out.

If I were you to get a blackberry, get a different model. One with hardware call end and answer buttons. I always ended up missing a call because the screen wouldn't registered I was swiping. This was on 3 different ones I had, they kept getting destroyed on the job (HVAC tech)
>>
>>52624375
If you were to*

Sorry, started one sentence and continued on with another in my head.
>>
File: IMG_20151208_160706.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151208_160706.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>52624304
>I hardly use social media so I'm sure the app
It's actually a great device for social media since both facebook and twitter are deeply integrated with the Hub. And they're developed by RIM so no bullshit like Facebook app taking 180MB of ram doing shit. Sadly they're pretty barebones in terms of functionality. But Permission control is nice too.

>How is the camera?
Average. Like pretty much every spec of this device (but 2GB of RAM is great, doesn't lag at fucking all)

Blackberries are expensive because
>long term support
>small marketshare
>devices aren't made in china

They didnt yet caught with the selfie crowd. It's not their target audience

Pic related, quick photo in poor light without any adjustments. Done from the lockscreen.
>>
>>52624375
Are there any other models with a similar keyboard?

I know there's the priv but that's too expensive right now.

Currently using a OnePlus One.
>>
Here's a better test result from touchscreen typing.
>>
>>52624415
I think there's a Classic. It has the buttons again like the older ones. I had a BB Bold 9780 and it was a bitching phone. Worked really well for heavy use and work.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-41-03.png (101 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-41-03.png
101 KB, 540x960
>>52624416
Forgot pic, sorry.
>>
>>52624437
>49 wpm
>>
>>52624449
Can you do better? I once saw someone get 65 WPM typing on a touchscreen phone keyboard.
>>
That is one thing actually I can say about the Q10, camera is pretty decent. It worked decently on focusing quick and shit. But that's really about all I can say I enjoyed of the phone. You can use the space bar to capture.
>>
>>52624409
Glad to see the camera isn't flip phone quality.

Really appreciate all the info.

Where'd you buy yours?
>>
File: classic.jpg (196 KB, 1300x781) Image search: [Google]
classic.jpg
196 KB, 1300x781
>>52623757
If I were in your position, I'd spring for a Classic instead, simply because of the Tool Belt. Its added functionality is worth the extra $$, I think.

As far as BB10 OS, it's my favorite one. However, I see it being EOL in early 2017, if not sooner. And that's a shame.
>>
I have a Z30 and regret it for one simple reason, you can't install adblock on the browser

I think you may be able to get google chrome though but I'm not sure
>>
>>52623757
Yes. Q10 is flawless as a communication device: qwerty, Hub, battery life, sturdiness, smooth and absolutely lagless OS.
>hurr durr no apps
every android banking app/timetables/communicators/everyday program i tried works on q10 flawlessly, even demanding games like San Andreas do (controls on 3" screen are obviously a joke). You can download snap, google play client, and download every android app like you do on google play. Android dalvik support is very good on bbos10.3.
>>
No, not really. Keyboard and OS suck ass. The camera is meh. It's more of an artifact really, like a boombox or something.
>>
>>52624546
>b-buh I wan a fone dat jus werks!!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-25-17-52-52.png (339 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-25-17-52-52.png
339 KB, 1440x2560
>>52624480
>>
>>52624577
on a blackberry check your priv btw
>>
File: IMG_20160126_024800.png (109 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_024800.png
109 KB, 720x720
>>52624366
>>52624437
>>52624480
Your sure fucking told everyone ITT.

And I don't argue that physical keyboard is faster. It's just more comfortable to type on. It's like a mechanical keyboard, doesn't improve anything, just feels right
>>
>>52624520
I'm really loving the look of this. Any idea how the camera and k/b is compared to the q10?

Might save the extra couple bucks for it

>>52624546
I hardly use social media/mobile games so I'm not too worried about it.

I hear there's a lot of stuttering in the OS, is this true?
>>
>>52624499
>Where'd you buy yours?
Online, local auction website.
>>
>>52624617
>Any idea how the camera and k/b is compared to the q10?
Surprise surprise it's literally the same phone as the q10. Same cpu, same ram, same camera, same screen resolution (screen is larger). And a toolbelt
>>
>>52624617
>I hear there's a lot of stuttering in the OS, is this true?
Nope. At least I haven't experienced it. BBOS is based on an RTOS and has plenty of resources to work on.
>>
>>52624642
So I'm better off going for a q10?

Don't really think a bigger screen and a tool belt would be worth the extra $200.
>>
>>52623757
if your looking for a botnet free thing get old blackberry pdas they have a rare phone contract still available politicians use them.
>>
>>52624610
>And I don't argue that physical keyboard is faster. It's just more comfortable to type on.
You must have been blessed with really good thumb genetics or something because mine used to hurt like a bitch after typing a few paragraphs on a physical phone keyboard. That hasn't been a problem ever since I started typing on a touchscreen phone keyboard. Now I have to type out like an entire fucking essay before my thumbs start hurting.
>>
>>52624577
How do we know you really used the physical keyboard and didn't cheat with the touchscreen one?
>>
>>52624617
>Any idea how the camera and k/b is compared to the q10?

I wouldn't know first hand, but from pictures the keyboards look identical. From spec sheets cameras are more or less the same as well.

You will mostly be buying into the Tool Belt, a bigger screen (3.5 vs 3.1), and a more premium look.
>>
>>52624691
I was the same actually. Use to have to compose a lot of shit on jobsites.

I even had that problem with 4.7" touchscreens though. Moved to a 5.5" and the problems have disappeared.

>in b4 iPhone. Nah. Galaxy nexus to a Moto X Play. I but cheap phones.
>>
>>52624713
You're right. I hate that fucking faggot tripfag so much I made that post just to argue with him.
>>
>>52624815
I remember I used to type on an iphone 4s, shit was horrible. Constantly made mistakes and had to use my idex finger to type stuff so it always took forever. Now I can get like 35wpm with almost no mistakes on my note 3. Not fast I know, but I'm practicing.
>>
>>52624967
Dam anon, you alright? If a tripfag is enough to piss you off that badly then something not right irl. You need to take a walk or something.
>>
>>52625088
How have you been able to survive on the internet for so long without being able to detect sarcasm?
>>
>>52625203
hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>>52625028
Yeah it makes all the difference. Use to hurt a lot to type.

I prefer bigger screens for usability, but the size does hinder pocketability.
>>
It's better as long as you only need stock apps.
>>
>>52624668
On Classic, since you have a physical back button on your toolbelt, all Android apps doesn't need to render the bottom (back-home-whatever) bar.
>>
>>52623757
do what ever the fuck you want
>>
>>52624366
You are the cancer of this generation. A touch screen will never be more accurate or faster.
>>
>>52625892
It's not the speed you autist. Though touch typing on a touchscreen phone will always be faster. The problem is physical keys cause a ton of strain on your thumbs after a while. I know because I used to have a blackberry myself. It doesn't help that each letter key is like 4mm.
>>
>>52625892
Are you fucking blind? Getting 40WPM or more on a touchscreen can easily be accomplished by learning how to touchtype with your thumbs in a couple of months. No way in hell are people going to get those speeds on a phone with a physical keyboard except a very small group of human mutants.
>>
>>52623757
I bought a Passport Silver Edition at launch. It was a beautiful, well powered and fun to use device.

I returned it a month later.

Don't let these BB autists on this thread fool you OP, apps are still how mobile devices work, for better or worse, and the app situation on BB is utter shit. Yes, you can sideload Snap and DL old 4.4 Android apps, but you will never be able to use android Services, so no authentic Google apps will work correctly.

If you MUST have a BB, get a Priv, but then you're missing out on BB10 which is a joy to use. Better off just buying a Nexus and dealing with the onscreen keyboard.
>>
File: 3gpd-jx92J4.jpg (16 KB, 502x412) Image search: [Google]
3gpd-jx92J4.jpg
16 KB, 502x412
>>52623757
Follow this smartphone buyer's guide, OP:

- If you absolutely need a physical keyboard (you don't), then get a Blackberry Classic.
- If you want to be different, get a cheap Windows phone.
- If you want a modern, functional smartphone, get a mid-range Android phone.
- If you want pussy, get an iPhone.

Blackberries, as they are now, are a terrible choice if you rely on anything except the very most basic smartphone functionality. It will only get worse. They are not worth their pricetags.
>>
I used a Q10 for about a year and a half. If social media is of any importance to you (but knowing /g/, it probably isn't) then it probably isn't for you. Twitter is pretty barebones, and Blackberry still won't update the Facebook app to display threaded comments and most image shares, so most of it is useless. Android app compatibility is hit or miss, though most of the time it's just sluggish (like, Pandora will work, but super, super slowly). That being said, if you can really just live with calling, texting, and some basic web browsing (the tiny 3 inch screen isn't so great for it, but hey, it works) then you'll be fine. But really, just get an Android phone.
>>
>>52623757
Do it, I've had a Q10 for 5 months and love it
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.