[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/spg/ - Smartphone Advice and discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 34
File: spg.png (186 KB, 800x567) Image search: [Google]
spg.png
186 KB, 800x567
Smartphone General - Advice and Discussion

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your budget, what country you live in, and what features are important to you.

Good resources:
>reviews and specs
http://www.gsmarena.com
http://www.phonearena.com
>frequency checker
http://willmyphonework.net
>>
File: haha trains.gif (178 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
haha trains.gif
178 KB, 400x224
Looking to get a new phone since my old Razr M is finally dying on me. Was thinking the Droid Turbo 2, but not sure

>Budget
Less than $300 would be nice (with contract or whatever shit)

>County
USA, on Verizon

>Features
Android, microSD slot are musts. If I could get something that's not the size of a tablet, that'd be solid, but not a huge requirement.

>Pic unrelated
>>
>>52609966
Just bought the nexus 6p. Had an xperia z1 Did I fuck up?
>>
>>52610076
OnePlus X would be a good phone but I don't think Verizon would activate it for you and it probably doesn't have a stupid CDMA radio. Are you sick with Verizon or could you switch? Because GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) has many more options.

>>52610164
You got there best phablet on the market. Good job.
>>
>>52610420
*stuck with Verizon

*the best phablet

Fuck mobile
>>
>>52610420
Yeah, I know. Was actually looking at the OnePlus a while back.Unfortunately, I am stuck with Verizon at the moment
>>
Just bought a nexus 5 for 150 bucks. Did i cuck myself? Last phone is a shitty ass kyocera hydro life.
>>
>>52610420
>phablet
I have tiny man hands (tfw 4'11). Will it be comfortable to use?
>>
>>52610549
I can't really tell you. Try it out in a store, see if they have dummy units you can put in your pocket. Personally it's too big fire me so I went for the 5X.

>>52610544
Not bad. Still a great phone. Might stop getting official updates soon, but should continue to have excellent dev support.

>>52610515
The moto might be your best choice. But Motorola was purchased by Lenovo and is going to shit. Carrier phones also get left behind, and you usually can't unlock the bootloader.
>>
So i have a first generation moto g, and i've beeb thinking in upgrading to a OPX or a moto g 3, the thing is my moto g still works fine, except for the ocassional crash when a used 3 apps at once, so do i upgrade now or should i wait till later this year for the newer smartphones to come out?
>>
>>52610602
Was looking at the Moto G for a while, but folks I know were saying it was shit. Like it overheats and the battery drains super quick.

Was I misinformed about this?
>>
File: yDqS2VK.jpg (62 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
yDqS2VK.jpg
62 KB, 500x400
currently using a virgin flavor S3 with a spider webbed screen and kitkat that i can't update. can't root because virgin. What are some solid carriers in the US for a 2 person contract that will carry not garbage phones nowadays? And are physical keyboards ded?
>>
This Friday, I'm going to get a new phone. I've got my eye on the V10 after much deliberation and comparisons. Is there any reason to not get it? As far as I can tell, it looks like the best phone currently on the market, except it's pretty ugly.
>>
>>52610740
>>52610602
Wait, moto G doesn't even do verizon apparently. Was there another Moto you meant?
>>
Looking to upgrade from dying g2
I like the one plus x but have no idea how the invite system works
How do I get one?
Where do I get one?
Do I have to have one?
>>
What would be the best Phone I could get in Australia for under $350 that has a sd slot?
>>
If note 5 would come to eu
Would it still be worth buying
Or should I just wait for next gen and hope they won't cuck europe this time
>>
File: Screenshot_20160125-033913.png (357 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160125-033913.png
357 KB, 1440x2560
>>52610164
No, 6p is a great phone
>>
/spg/, what kind of smartphone would you recommend me for 350$?
>inb4 recommending Windows Phone
no thanks. I don't want a full spyphone.
>>
>>52610740
>>52610794
Droid Turbo 2 is made by Motorola.

>>52610783
Gimmick secondary screen. LG ui is bloat. Probably shitty dev scene, if you can even unlock the bootloader.

>>52610796
Sign up on the site and they will eventually give you an invite, or you can get one from someone who has one. I've seen them posted on /g/ before.

>>52610801
Not sure about Australian prices but I like the OnePlus X. Might be more than A$350 though.

>>52610803
Note 5, like all Samsung phones, is infested with touchwiz. I cannot in good conscience recommend any phone with touchwiz. Even the "much improved" version on the S6/Note5. If you could unlock the bootloader and install CM it might be worth it, but you usually can't.
>>
>>52610783
If mean if u need microSD, then get it

If u don't need that and replacable battery

Go with the 6p
>>
>>52610981
Moto x pure, I think its around ur price range if I remember correctly
>>
>>52610981
Nexus 5X, make sure to spring for the 32GB version.
>>
>>52611010
>>52611028
wow thanks for the really quick reply anons. Do you know about a phone which is smaller? Around 5".
The 5X looks good btw, but the Moto X Pure is too big for my hands.
>>
>>52611010
I spent a bit more and got the 6p during the holiday sale instead of this. Any ragrets?
>>
Hey guys girl here what kind of iPhone should I buy?
>>
GS4 user here. I've been thinking of upgrading to the LG G5 when it comes out. Can you hide the on-screen keys when using Nova Launcher?
>>
>>52611086
I also got 6p for $449

It is awesome
>>
>>52611089
iPhone 4, shatter the glass back and dye it pretty colors with highlighters.
>>
>>52611105
I got it with the microfiber backed case and its the best phone experience I've ever had. First time I've felt like I won't need a new device for a few years.
>>
File: xiaomi-redmi-note-3-2.jpg (32 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
xiaomi-redmi-note-3-2.jpg
32 KB, 395x600
>>52609966
Is 2GB ram enough for MIUI, Facebook, Messenger and Whatsapp?

I want to buy a Xiaomi Redmi note 3
>>
Hey /spg/
I've been thinking about buying new phone in 2016 since my G3 s is finally dying

so what is the best phone for 300€ right now and will there be any new good phones for that price in current year

I live in Finland if that matters
>>
>>52611151
There are no good phones available in Finland, just order a chink phone like everyone else
>>
>>52611093
On LG G4 you can, so probably also on g5
>>
>>52610983
>Not sure about Australian prices but I like the OnePlus X. Might be more than A$350 though.
Cheapest I can find it is about $380, and 350 was a stretch for me..
It looks good though, I might wait a bit and see if it goes on sale somewhere.
>>
>>52611135
I went from iPhone 5 to nexus 6p

It is as if I was living in 1200 and just got the internet

Fuck apple, 6p is #1
>>
>>52611162
well fuck

what are some "good" chink phones
>>
anyone using cyanogenmod? how do you like it vs. google's stock android on the nexus phones?
>>
Lumia 640 for 125 bongdollars, Dual Sim, Quad Core 1.2Ghz, 1GB RAM / 8GB storage, I literally only used my previous smartphone for calling (and since I'm often in a different country, the dual sim would be useful) and for viewing pictures (i.e. to have some hentai loli with me when I go to the shitter and need a good fap) and very rarely as shitty music player.

Y/N?
>>
I find the Nexus 5 camera garbage. I'm on at&t. Priority: good camera, close to stock as possible, sd slot, waterproof.

Sony my only option?
>>
any smartphone recommendations for a 5"? It'd be nice if the phone would have a fingerprint sensor.
Also, the budget is 350-400$.
>>
>>52611802
5x. 5.2" display, fingerprint sensor, starts at $350. You could throw a few more pesos in and get the 6p which is arguably the best phone out, but its a bit bigger.
>>
Looking to get a new phone in like the next 6-12months because my 5S is getting quite old and apparently the charging circuitry is fucked so it eats battery like a fucking hog.

Any-fucking-hoo, the only reason for me to buy the 5S was it's screen size, since I prefer my phone not to be a fuckhuge phablet/flat screen TV. I also prefer to get a flagship(ish) device so that performance wise, I actually get a couple of years of use out of it. I've been pondering to returning to the android camp, since there's more choice there.

So, any good flaghips that have a moderately sized screen and specs? I'm thinking that something along the lines of 5" is about the max for me. And it's not that I can't use a bigger one, I can just as well, it's just that I don't want to. I can purchase a tablet if I need a huge screen to carry around.

Oh and also, I live in EU, if that matters.
>>
>>52611802
5x. 5.2", fingerprint sensor, starts at $350. Throw in a few more pesos and there's the 6p, but the phone might be too big for your taste.
>>
>>52611148
yes.

>>52611592
seems good for the price and if you need a dual sim phone. windows 10 mobile is fine on 1gb ram too.

>>52611630
yes, but many say sony's camera's photo quality isn't good.

>>52611832
htc one a9 or moto g 3rd gen 32gb rom/2gb ram.
>>
What are the people releasing android roms based on Samsung's Touchwiz doing? Are they reverse engineering Samsung's kernel?
>>
How does LG G3 hold up at this day and age? My father is planning on buying a new phone and G3 can be had very cheap compared to other phones
Is it still a viable option? He's upgrading from S3
>>
>>52613568
I have an older high end LG. They are complete shit after a few updates. Planned obsolescence
>>
What does the Nexus 6P do better than the Nexus 6? I feel like the 6 is better value for money right now. A friend asked me for a recommendation, and was wondering "why not the newer one?"
>>
>>52609966
Best place to download Android apks without having a google account?
>>
I've had my Xperia Z2 for nearly two years now. I'm considering getting a new phone. Do I even need one?

One disappointment I've found is that development for it is a pain in the arse. It's a big fuck around to even try and root and flash a rom.

Other than that it's actually been a great phone.
>>
>>52613708
Nexus 6 is great value for money if you don't want to pay full price for an upgrade.
>>
>>52611579
Cyanogen mod 13 on Nexus 5 here. I love it. This phone is 3 years old and it is still delightfully fast, even to the point that I can't justify getting a new one because everything just werks so well.

Cyanogenmod itself is nice too, frequent updates, lots of genuinely useful features, tight control over app permissions with privacy guard and so on and so forth.
>>
>>52613741
Do you mean outright or on a plan? I'd rather buy it straight up.
>>
Are there any decent chinkphones cheaper than the OnePlus 2?
>>
>>52614066
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
>>
is there any way to use chinese phones on at&t lte network?
>>
I live in the usa and am shackled to verizon. What's the best value I can get for an andriod phone for ~$200-300?
>>
Let's say I need a sturdy phone with decent battery life, microsd, easy root and CM. It doesn't need flagship hardware and display.

What are my most cost-effective options?
>>
>>52615204
>actually wanting CM
>>
File: bigblackcock.jpg (21 KB, 350x311) Image search: [Google]
bigblackcock.jpg
21 KB, 350x311
>>52615204
OPX? When they release OTA marshmallow i guess there will be CM for it. Also HW is good SD801, 3gb ram, sd card slot or dual-sim, amoled display.

I thinking about getting OPX, since I dont see oneplus two as much of an upgrade, usb-c is useless, fingerprint sensor is just a fancy way to unlock it amarite g?
>>
>>52615204
Moto G LTE 1st gen
>>
My 64GB SD card is currently formatted as FAT32, which means I can't transfer larger files to it.
Can I format my SD card in ext4 and still be able to use it in Windows via MTP, or do I have to use NTFS?
What is the best file system for an SD card?
>>
>>52609966
>TFW no nexus with SD card slot

I'll stick to my phone with cm i guess.
>>
Is 1gb RAM on these moto g's marginally sufficient? I'm fresh off a lumia 625, where the 512mb means consistent browser and app crashes.
>>
>>52615383
Android alone takes up 1GB ram
>>
>>52615383
Depends on your use, I guess. Mine is sitting with 400mb ram available right now.
>>
>>52615383
I thought I fucked up when i bought a 2GB phone but you are seriously thinking about buying an android phone with only 1GB of ram in 2016??
>>
My poor Galaxy SIII has seen better days, so I've decided to go phone shopping. Instead of going straight for the giants though like Samsung of HTC for a new phone I've decided to look at "smaller" phone manufacturers. Right now the One Plus X and Zuk Z1 have both caught my eye, but I was curious about other lesser known phone manufacturers.

I'll also just do the copypasta because.
>Budget
<$300 preferred, but with my tax returns coming in a few months I'm open to going over that if the phone amazes me.
>Country
USA
>Features
Music is important to me. I also like a responsive phone. Customization is also very important to me. A nice camera wouldn't hurt too, but not a high priority.
>>
>>52613665
> why not the newer one?
Because it's about $300 less to stick with the 6, which would probably still meet his needs.
>>
Where can I buy a Nexus 5X in a physical store? Best Buy's website only shows the 16GB 5X which is shite.
>>
I just clean installed MM6.0 on my phone, Rooted and Xposed.

What should i install? (appsfor batterylife, root apps, xposed modules, apps in general?)
>>
>>52615937
Facebook, Messenger, WA, KIK, Instagram
>>
>>52615973
only app i use from that list is WA and only because i kinda need it.
but ty i guess
>>
File: 1371695216722.jpg (151 KB, 1000x1169) Image search: [Google]
1371695216722.jpg
151 KB, 1000x1169
>>52613141
Most likely they are just using a package disabler to remove some of the bloat. You will still get shitty multitasking because I don't think there's a way to modify this behavior.

>>52613685
Fdroid for open source apps.

>>52614594
most of them don't support the proper LTE bands. Only some from Huawei, like the Mate 8, support the proper frequencies.

>>52615143
Your only options are Verizon phones really, and these come with locked bootloaders and OEM bloat. You could buy a 5X for around that price and they should activate it for you, but Verizon are cunts and might not.

>>52615913
Most stores and carriers only stock the 16GB version.

>>52615937
Doze Settings is an app available on XDA that allows you to make doze more aggressive in activating, saving you battery life even when you're moving.

>>52611592
£125 for a Lumia 640? They are shitty phones, but kind of workable if you get it for $30USD like some people. If you use literally any apps you will begin to realize that the WP apps are shitty and outdated if they exist at all. Kik for example hasn't been updated in something like 2 years, and is missing tons of features from iOS/Android. You're better off getting a cheap Android, especially at that price.

>>52611630
Sony camera is shit if you unlock the bootloader.

>>52613708
It's still a good phone. Specs match the OnePlus X, which is a phone I recommend. Only downsides is the dev scene like you said, and a non-vanilla version of Android.

>>52615260
Fingerprint scanner is one of those things you probably won't want to live without after you have it. Just way too convenient. OPX is still a great phone for the price, I say go for it.
>>
File: sdfsdfsdf.png (162 KB, 809x441) Image search: [Google]
sdfsdfsdf.png
162 KB, 809x441
>budget
less than 250, 200 or less would be ideal.

>Country
Switzerland

>features
Expandable memory, good battery life, nothing larger than 5", a removable battery would be nice too but isn't a must.

I've already got my eyes on this thing here. Is there any reason I should not get this and go for something else instead?
>>
>>52616210
Just get a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.

>160€
>4Ah battery
>2GB ram
>5.5" 1080p display
>finger print scanner

or a note 2 if you really need a SD card slot and removable battery. What kind of fucking data do you save on your phone that you need more than 32GB? Do people really replace batteries as well?
>>
>>52616210
get the 32gb rom/2gb ram version. android really does need that extra gb of ram.
>>
>>52616264
>5.5" 1080p display
>5.5"
No.

And I like to have the option of expanding my storage and replacing the battery without having to take the whole thing apart.

>>52616283
Cheers, I'll look into that.
>>
File: 1351111207574.jpg (77 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1351111207574.jpg
77 KB, 800x600
I'm looking for a cheap chinkphone that has a USER CUSTOMISABLE HARDWARE BUTTON on the side. I've never liked the big glass screen trend (thanks Jobs, faggot), and I'd prefer to be able to quickly snap a photo by pressing a side button. Or programming it to, for example, call a certain contact. And being able to hold-press for other things, like "play music". or "open creepshot application and begin recording".

Help pls.
>>
>>52616310
moto g battery is not user-replaceable. not officially anyway.
>>
>>52616334
Yeah, but it fulfills all the other specifications that I'm looking for so I can live with eventually opening it up in order to replace it at some point.
>>
I have a Le(l)novo A328 and YouTube gives me the maximum resolution as 800x480.
When I open videos with TubeMate, I can get 1280x720. But if I try to open 480 videos, it doesn't open them ('Not supported'). It has ARMv7 (NEON) and about 4.5 inches.
>>
Anyone using the 5X? I have been using one alongside my 6S and it is really comfy. It's really making me think about switching fully to Android. I just notice some lag from time to time compared to my 6S. Is anyone else noticing lag? For example, Google Music runs like shit on it. It takes a few seconds to launch and navigating around the app is choppy as fuck. Also, Chrome runs like shit and I miss being able to have ad blockers built in to the web browser. If I tap the menu in chrome the opening animation of the menu is choppy as fuck.
>>
>>52616087
>Most stores and carriers only stock the 16GB version.

Best Buy used to have the 32GB 5X in stock before it was discounted. Are there any other places that even have it?
>>
>>52616087
>If you use literally any apps
Which is exactly what I don't do.

As I said, I only use the phone on the shitter for masturbating to lolicon, rarely for listening to music and mostly for receiving phone calls and sending text messages.
>>
Looking for a cheap phone to take with me on adventures. It should be rugged and preferably have quite a large battery. Needs to handle FB messenger, and have a decent GPS. I don't care about gaming, and don't need a card slot. I do appreciate a fluid experience with the UI though.

Is moto g the right answer for me?
>>
>>52616604
Located in Sweden by the way, so it should be EU compatible.
>>
>>52610489
>stuck with Verizon
I drive a truck for a living and let me tell you that not a single carrier comes close to the coverage that verizon has.
>>
>>52616325
not happening.

closest thing is a sony z3 or z5. has built-in 'events'.

http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/xperiaz3compact/userguide/Smart-Connect/

it has built-in screen recording too (hold down the power button and a dialogue pops up).
>>
File: Everyone!.gif (91 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Everyone!.gif
91 KB, 320x240
Looking for a second opinion on >>52610076
>>
>>52616682

Chinks need to up their game, then. Very disappointing that this product doesn't exist.
>>
>>52616712
limited, if any demand.
>>
>have Xperia Play for a few years
>be very happy with it, but it eventually breaks
>take out old N95
>be very happy, but the adapter port breaks
>order new Xperia Play online from China
>over a month now and it still didn't arrive
>have to get a working phone asap
>use MaxCom dumbphone shit - people don't hear what I'm saying
>Go to buy a feature phone, this time buy the most expensive Nokia feature phone
>Photos delete magically and character input delay is unbearable, can't even write short messages efficiently without wasting a lot of time

Guys, I've had it. Is it even possible to buy a fucking feature phone that efficiently does:

1. Allow to call others, so they can hear what you say
2. Allow to efficiently type characters and send SMS

I'm really mad with this bullshit now.
I don't want a smartphone, I'd just want a working feature phone, do I really want too much from life, /g/?!

FUCK
>>
Is 2GB ram enough?
>>
File: 1392988908224.gif (1 MB, 398x347) Image search: [Google]
1392988908224.gif
1 MB, 398x347
>>52616557
You still use a gallery app to view pictures, and even the built in apps on Windows phone are shit. Go ahead and buy a WP, just don't come complaining to us when you realize it's a shitty platform with no support. Even the music player (Xbox Music AKA Groove) is shitty, there exists no equivalent of Shuttle, just apps that are skins for the default player. Enjoy browsing danbooru with a shitty browser that can't render pages properly, and having no alternatives that aren't IE skins.

If I sound bitter, it's because I fell for the WP meme not once but twice, and regret both of those purchases.
>>
>>52616730

There was limited design for a big glass slap phone in 2005. Now look at the market. Nobody wanted a tablet back then now every cunt has to have one.

Apple have the right idea with their 'silent/vibrate' toggle hardware button. That shit shouldn't need to be accessed via menu. It's surely mainly a software thing, most phones have volume rockers that should be able to be appropriated.
>>
>>52616733
http://m.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nRamMin=256&chkCardSlot=selected&sOSes=1
>>
>>52616730

actually, I see your point. This product will appeal to /g/tards and phone nerds but not normies, who it will just confuse. OnePlus et all should step up. Or Xiaomi. Or one of the many chinese clone phone companies.
>>
>>52616656
I don't think anybody doubts that. It's just that Verizon reams you in the asshole to pay for it.
>>
>>52616835
the question is, even with /g/tards, is the demand there? you assume there would be, but it's not guaranteed.
>>
I have an HTC m8 on T-Mo (that I'm still paying off) and I'm thinking of upgrading.

Which one of the OnePlus models does /g/ recommend? Or should I wait for the S7?
>>
>>52616893

Release it as a camera button, with an app somewhere that lets you repurpose it. Bingo.

Chinaphonemanufacturures are you reading!?
>>
>nexus 6p
Why would anyone buy a phone that can bend while using the onscreen keyboard like the iphone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cWVdLqXCg
>>
>>52616945
OPO or OPX.
OPT lacks nfc, quick charge for its price imo.

You can prove me wrong, since I lost my OPO and they are out of stock for few months already im leaning forward OPX
>>
>>52616712
Support might not exist within Android for a customizable macro button.
>>
>>52616325
double tap the nexus 6p power button and camera immediately opens
>>
>>52616996
please kys apple homosexual subhuman waste of organic material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAHL4LMNlY

lol u mad u cant afford one

faggggggg
>>
>buying a phone weeks before Barcelona's MWC
>>
>>52617189
it was a cun event 10 years ago. shame phones these days are so samey.
>>
>>52617239
*fun.

>2006 was 10 years ago

jesus christ.
>>
>>52617189
the only reason to wait is the incoming pricedrop on the lastgen phones. I doubt that there'll be any kind of new "innovation" except for higher everything for your average speccwhore
>>
GUIDE ME /G/ !!!!1!11!1

>budget
350-450euros
>Country
Lithuania
>Features
decent camera, 3gb ram minimum, snapdragon cpu, and 6.0 marshmallow is a must update, SoT around 4-5h

Yeah
>>
>>52616782
That's what you get for listening to /g/ memes.
>>
>>52617436
http://m.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nCPUCoresMin=4&nRamMin=3000&chkCardSlot=selected&nDisplayResMin=2073600&nBatCapacityMin=2100&sOSes=2&sOSversions=2500,2510,2600

sony are good with updates, as are motorola and nexus lines. dunno about euro prices.
>>
File: 20160125_132854.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160125_132854.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Hey guys so im stuck chosing between these 3 phones are any of them good or should i look at some other ones
>>
What's everyones thoughts on the 6p, looking to pick one up
>>
>>52617744
g3 or m9.
>>
Hey /g/, stuck on something. Looking to stay on my carrier (VM US), but I also would like to upgrade my phone, being that my current (ZTE Vital/Supreme) is slowly dying on my. Stuck between the 2016 Galaxy j3(1.5gb ram & 16gb rom, expandable storage, but shit camera) and the moto g 3rd gen(Only available at 1gb ram & 8gb rom, but no expandable storage, and good camera, also waterproof to some extent) Looking to keep my budget under $200-ish US. Would be using new phone for medium to heavy daily use, including photos, music, messaging, etc. I appreciate the time.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-25-13-40-04.png (78 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-25-13-40-04.png
78 KB, 720x1280
Who still /GalaxyS3/ here
>>
>>52617875
get the moto g. less ram, but stock android. touchwiz handles ram like shit.
>>
>>52618154
What about the storage issue then
>>
>>52618192
3rd g has a micro sd slot senpai. even the 2nd gen does too.
>>
>>52618154
>stock android
Complete shit
>>
>>52618220
what? all it has is a few useful apps, which are removed in marshmallow.

or are you saying stock android is shit?
>>
>>52618215
Even the one on virgin US? I couldn't find anything regarding it on there site or anywhere else but shit if its expandable I'll but it now
>>
>>52618242
Im saying that stock android is pure shit
>>
>>52618269
i see no reason why motorola would remove it and sell it to a specific carrier. that makes beyond zero sense.

>>52618273
oh. fair enough.
>>
>>52617925
I would have been a fellow S3 user. But I killed mine with a custom kernel.
I didn't do my research on the model that the kernel was for.
Been on a Note 3 ever since.
>>
>>52611010
X Pure starts at $399, and is worth it--just got one Saturday to replace an iPhone 6
>>
My mostly stock (rooted and removed some Microsoft office Stub APKs) Samsung 5.1.1 device drains 1-1.5%/hour at idle. Pretty awesome.
>>
>>52617744
I decided to go with the htc one m9
>>
File: 1402941303239.gif (1 MB, 511x576) Image search: [Google]
1402941303239.gif
1 MB, 511x576
>>52617604
Not only did I listen to /g/ memes about WP, I also bought a Zenfone 2. Worst phone I have used, even worse than the Windows phones. At least it had apps, but oh god the bloat. Luckily I was able to sell it for a decent penny.

>>52617758
Do it. You won't regret it. Nexus master race.

>>52618499
My 5X does less than half a percent per hour in doze mode. Sometimes I look at the battery history and it's a straight horizontal line for hours.
>>
File: 1489359843784387.jpg (32 KB, 558x400) Image search: [Google]
1489359843784387.jpg
32 KB, 558x400
>s5 runs out of Battery
>Borrowing my little brother's IPhone 6 to shit-post on 4chan while im recharging
>mfw when using this shit to browse 4chan

I fucking hate this. You can't do shit on iphones. can't see poster's replies with safari. Switch to another tab and your other tab automatically refreshes. Youtube app is a piece of shit on iphone.

Why the fuck do normies love iphones?
>>
Anyone know how to root a verizon g4 on linux? I can only seem to find windows guides
>>
>>52618273
Stock Android as in Vanilla Android found in CM and stock Nexus ROMs is the best. OEMs just add bloat. Multiwindow is useful but it's coming to Vanilla Android soon.

>>52619176
XDA is probably your best bet, unless rooting involves sketchy Windows programs that use exploits it should be doable. Provided you can root, carrier phones are notorious for being locked down.
>>
>>52619227
XDA is where I found the root guides requiring "SendCommand.exe" and using the Windows registry

It's just a simple flashing root but I don't know how to do that on linux
>>
Is a nexus 5x a good phone?

my Iphone 5s broke and im done with that shit
>>
File: 1453391034414.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1453391034414.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>52619467
There's a guy in my Networking / IT class that really enjoys his 5X. He even dropped it and badly damaged the corner and it still works 100%. Only different is that the corner is dented and screen is cracked.
>>
I want something like a galaxy s3 with a snapdragon (for better ROM support).
What's the closest I can get?
I was thinking galaxy s5 but the oneplus x is also similar
>>
I need a phone that has:
Snapdragon 810 or Exynos 7420 or another SoC with non-shitty CPU.
Doesn't overheat.
Has an SD card slot.
Has HD resolution.
Fits in a pocket (5.7'' max I'm guessing).
Has a decent battery.
>>
Hey /spg/ I literally just got a new LG G4, should I root it? can I just swap my old sim card? can I remove some of the bloat on it? I'm not super in tune with phone's so some tips would be great
>>
>>52620718
Hey, how's the performance of 808?
I think you certainly shpould root it, and maybe also install a custom ROM. you can install CyanogenMod, which is Android open-source with no bloat and improvements.
>>
>>52619467
I really like mine. No real complaints. Rooted with a custom kernel.
>>
File: 1452497044279.jpg (150 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1452497044279.jpg
150 KB, 1080x1920
So I wanted a fancy Motorola Style/Pure but they're fucking me over with their Moto Maker service.

What are the comparable alternatives? Pretty flexible, but a external storage slot would be nice - mostly because I got a fucking 64gb storage that would be wasted otherwise.
>>
File: oneplus-x-1280x1207.jpg (166 KB, 1280x1207) Image search: [Google]
oneplus-x-1280x1207.jpg
166 KB, 1280x1207
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-2-2-0-will-start-roll-out-on-oneplus-x-today.425954/

Seems like the X is getting an update
>>
>just upgraded to Galaxy S6
>Galaxy S7 announced to drop in 2 months

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52621766
You had to expect it looking at what time of the year it is
>>
Guys, guys. OnePlus One or wait for the few next months?
>>
>>52621806
there is any in stock? I'm thinking about OPX it should last for year
>>
>>52621930
They restocked them recently. I've been thinking about getting the OPX too but the OPO is generally better. 64GB internal which is more than enough for me, 5,5" display (love or hate it), 3100mAh battery, NFC although i don't use it and 30€ price difference.
It's about preference mostly
>>
File: HTC Evo 4G Bootup Screen.jpg (530 KB, 1000x906) Image search: [Google]
HTC Evo 4G Bootup Screen.jpg
530 KB, 1000x906
Looking to give away/sell/trade in a phone I was given or re-purpose it somehow. Might just use it as an Mp3 player, mini tablet, or some shit. whatever.

Anyways.. I kind of fucked up. I went through the boot menu thingy and was reformatting/deleting everything I could find and I formatted the system and now the phone doesn't boot up. At first I thought no biggie, if I legit broke the thing I'll microwave it then trash it - but I doubt it's ruined. So much for going herp a derp trying to restore it to factory settings without doing research / asking for advice. Now here I am hoping to do this the right way.

What I want to do is a 100% wipe of all data on the phone, I dug up some data from the phone like old dick selfies and while I won't do anything with them if I do sell/give the phone away I want everything securely wiped incase it somehow falls into malicious hands once i no longer own it. After that's done, I want it brought back to the brand new out of box state. On newer phones I know you can encrypt them and do a factory reset but I think this was rooted or some shit.

Think securely overwriting the C:\ partition on a HDD on a laptop, then restoring it to factory settings from the D:\ recovery partition. Now that, but on an Android... What do?

It's an HTC EVO 4G, Sprint edition.

The screen boots up to a white screen and shows the following information.
-SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
-HBOOT-2.20.0001
-MICROP-041f
-TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
-RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
-Oct 15 2010, 12:07:00
>>
>>52611148
wait for Pro version
>>
File: 1449285351386.jpg (25 KB, 332x332) Image search: [Google]
1449285351386.jpg
25 KB, 332x332
Moto X style or Note 4?
>>
Should I get an iPhone 4S? Is it still relevant?
>>
>buy moto g 3rd gen out of desperation for $240
>hate the design
>a month later nexus 6 goes on sale for $250

Fuck me. I'm still debating whether to get a N6 or N5x. I found a 32GB sealed on Craigslist for $350. I figure I can get like ~$120 for my Moto G on eBay or someshit to help offset the cost.

Anything I should know about USB type-c?
>>
I'm from EU but live partially in NA with work. Every phone is like £50 less on Amazon USA, does this sale price include tax (and tip)?
>>
>>52622721
autism detected
>>
>>52622861
Uh...ok.

Any real answers people?
>>
>>52622876
They're coming out 5ce if you want a smaller iphone, or something. I don't know why you'd want a 4S other than because it's cheap now. 5ce should be the cheap option of their new 2016 batch of phones.
>>
>>52622901
I'm a poorfag. Was either considering 4S or 5C but 5C looks like a children's play toy t.b.h.
>>
>>52622909
get the nexus 6p and stop being a fucking homosexual apple faggot
>>
>>52622967
All I need to do is browse the internet and text friends. Nexus is probably expensive as fuck
>>
>>52622986
>All I need to do is browse the internet and text friends.
do you live in a fucking cave?

it's 2016 nigga, we are landing fucking rockets

this is what i hate about apple users, they all like to suck dicks
>>
File: puvVa6Lzfpg.jpg (87 KB, 600x405) Image search: [Google]
puvVa6Lzfpg.jpg
87 KB, 600x405
>>52622563
Nexus 6
>>
>>52623016
>tips fedora
>>
>>52622986
Why not just buy some cheap ass phone like the Moto E, or iPhone 4 if that's all you're going to do.
>>
>>52622131
i've never seen /g/ discuss how you format a phone if you want to sell it. i assume you fill up the internal memory with lots of files, delete the contents, rinse and repeat. but how many times is enough?

>>52622909
5c is cheap plastic shit. friend had one - the upper right of the phone came away from the casing, and the battery swelled up (only realised when an apple store employee inspected it).

just because the s is metal doesn't mean it won't hapen.
>>
>>52623046
That's what I came here to ask. I was looking at 4S or 5C because anything before that is shit and outdated
>>
>>52622563
nexus 6p

or wait for new samsung phone
>>
>>52622788
Put that Moto g up on swappa for $169, I'll buy it (if in good shape & everythings included).
>>
>>52623123
I'd gladly do it, but I can't sell it until I get a new phone. Which might take a few weeks.
>>
>>52623272
Post here (they'll be on of these threads) when you do. I'll keep an eye on swappa too
>>
>>52623290
Will do I guess. It also comes with a 32GB microSD card that I've never even come close to using. I kind of regret it. 16GB N5x should do just fine.
>>
>>52622788
Type C is nice because you don't have to worry about which way you plug in. You'll need an adapter for your old cables or new cables so its kind of annoying. Short term pain long term gain. iirc the Nexus 6 doesn't use type C.
>>
Planning on getting a Moto e on my next paycheck. Does N64 emulators run decently on it, like mupen64? Tried playing paper mario and Harvest Moon on my current phone and its unplayable, so it'll make my purchase a lot more confident if it could at least output 30fps without graphic problems
>>
>>52609966
/g/ still shilling the shit out of the garbage 6p
>>
File: Capture.jpg (84 KB, 1157x596) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
84 KB, 1157x596
This might count as shilling, but whatever. It's a damn good deal. I'm just pissed I don't have the cash for it.
>>
>>52623723
It's the GOAT phablet. 5X is an amazing regular sized phone.

>>52623737
Only issue is that it isn't the Google store. So I dunno how warranty and RMA would work.
>>
best phone i can get for $400 with an amoled screen and fingerprint sensor?
>>
I can get a Moto E Gen 2 for $150, and a Moto G Gen 3 for $250

Is the Moto g really better, and is it worth the extra $100?
>>
>>52623978
You can get a fucking Nexus 6 for $250 if you're patient and quick enough when the deal goes up. You can get a Nexus 5 for $150-$200 as well.

Don't pay more than $100 for a any Moto E/G device.
>>
Thinking about picking up an xperia z5 compact. Thoughts?

Currently using an iPhone 4S I've had for years
>>
>>52623486
Even better. I'll be happy to take it off your hands when you get something new. That 5X has a great camera. And I use an iPhone 6S, you'll wonder how you lived before fingerprint readers (hyperbole, but they are great).
>>
>>52624040
>Currently using an iPhone 4S I've had for years
>4s
>2011

that shit is ancient, what have you been doing for the past 4 years?

jerking off?
>>
Stupid question, but I just downloaded an xposed module from online on my phone, but what do I do now in the installer to get it working?
>>
Hey guys I have a bullshit

I have Sprint and I managed to break my Nexus 6 screen and filed an insurance claim to get a new one. The problem is that they said Nexus 6 is out of stock and I can get a note 5 instead. I fucking hate touchwiz and the note 5 does look nice but idk what to do, a note 5 will cost me $200 with the insurance. What the fuck should I do?
Sprint says they don't carry Nexus 6p
So its $200 for a note 5 or $500 for a Nexus 6p through Google

Unless somebody can recommend a better phone through Sprint with a large screen
>>
>>52624020
where would you find these types of deals though? amazon? ebay?? cuz thats hella cheap
>>
>>52624169
Good goy
>>
File: Render-BB-Priv.png (399 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Render-BB-Priv.png
399 KB, 1200x800
I want one. Should I pull the trigger?
>>
May have to replace my HTC One M8 soon. What's a good phone out right now that's also good to use as a music player?
>>
>>52625344
no, it has physical keys

which is fucking retarded
>>
>>52625344
yes, it has physical keys

which is fucking awesome
>>
>>52625056
Pretty much. Also don't ignore Craigslist. You can find some awesome deals if you lurk long enough.
>>
>>52625449
please kys
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-38-09.png (197 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-38-09.png
197 KB, 1080x1920
I keep getting this memory warning when I browse on my phone followed a few minutes later by the phone heating up and the browser crashing before its fine again. I have 3gb of ram only 1.5 in use, plenty of free storage memory so what's going on?
Android 5.1.1, LG G Flex 2, default browser
>>
File: mint.png (155 KB, 339x225) Image search: [Google]
mint.png
155 KB, 339x225
>>52625479
alright sweet ill check it out thanks man
>>
>>52625527
Use Chrome, probably just a shitty browser made by LG

You could unlock your bootloader and flash CM if possible, otherwise try and disable some of LG's bloat.

>using anything besides 6.0.1
shiggy diggy
>>
>>52625622
Hadn't installed another browser just because I'm new to android and there looks like a lot to choose from. I'll try chrome.
I already looked into getting cm on this but it looked like the bootloader was locked or no one has made it for this device or some such complication. I think android 6 was confirmed to be coming to thos device later this year though.
>>
>>52625697
LG apps, like 99% of OEM apps, are shit. Use Google alternatives.
>>
>>52625697
Out of curiosity and boredom, what did you use before and why did you switch?
>>
>>52609966
Lenovo laptop and mobile internet is literally all you need in 2016. Saged.
>>
>>52625737
iPod touch 4g and some LG phone with a slide out keyboard (not a smartphone)
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-10-01-46-00.png (211 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-10-01-46-00.png
211 KB, 1080x1920
>tfw bought a OPO a year ago
Amazing feel, I never want another phone. It is basically perfect, and it's crazy how well it benches almost 2 years later.
>>
>>52625828
Oh, and I switched because my ipod was cracked to hell and my phone was pretty much wasted space besides calls.
>>
>>52625761
faaaag
>>
What carrier do you guys use?
>>
>>52627467
Wind. Unlimited nation wide call, text and data for $40. The spotty service isn't bad for me, most of the places I frequent have perfect signals.
>>
My Sprint contract expries in March and I want to switch to Project Fi.

Any experiences with it? Should I wait til the 2016 google phones are released?
>>
File: 1453444809219.jpg (1 MB, 2085x3000) Image search: [Google]
1453444809219.jpg
1 MB, 2085x3000
>>52609966
lads I've got a LG G2 d800.
what rom do you recommend?
>>
File: bobby_20.png (69 KB, 229x334) Image search: [Google]
bobby_20.png
69 KB, 229x334
>>52627467
Going back to tmobile after trying verizon for a week. It's complete shit. Keep getting nothing but 3g around the city.
>>
I broke my OPO last week would OPX be a decent swap? OP2 seems to not have anything I need
>>
File: ios-9-wallpapers-2_techgleam.png (3 MB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
ios-9-wallpapers-2_techgleam.png
3 MB, 1242x2208
I hope either the T50 or T55 are easy to repair. I want to upgrade from my OPO to a 2016 Nexus but not at the cost of an easily replaceable battery.
>>
>>52627551
CyanogenMod
>>
>not using the only ROM that matters for a G2: CloudyG2
>not using the only kernel that matters for a G2: Dorimanx

I mean really.
>>
best OPO rom?
>>
>>52610762
The new Blackberry Priv runs Android 5.1.1 with Marshmallow 6.0 in the works as well as has a physical keyboard if that's what your going for
>>
>>52623810
>no replies
looking at the s5 or the blu pure xl, what are my other options? used s6?
>>
>>52627467
Verizon

>>52627511
I have been with it for a month now, and it's great, Why are you switching back?
>>
How's OPX's camera, lads? Thinking of getting one soon
>>
>>52628027
Not good enough for the price, not bad at all but if camera is important for you should look other phones
>>
>>52627657
>>52627692
I just never used roms ;_;
>>
Which phone is smart and respects my freedom?
>>
>>52628274
>smartphone
>respecting freedom

Pick 1. There's a reason why Stallman uses other people's phones to make calls.
>>
File: 1440915993800.jpg (72 KB, 447x371) Image search: [Google]
1440915993800.jpg
72 KB, 447x371
>>52628358
This cant be real
>>
where do i buy a note 5 that i can put on my metro PCS plan i dont care if i have to pay full price for it i just want to find one i can actually buy without needing to walk up to a store like one i can have shipped to me
>>
>>52628631
You can go on Amazon and purchase an unlocked note 5 for below retail.
>>
>>52627752
>Exodus
>Cyanogen
>Oxygen

For the best battery life, Exodus

For the best performance, Cyanogen

For the fastest update to Marshmallow, Oxygen

Note that while Exodus is awesome, Cyanogen and Oxygen have more features and the faster updates. Cyanogen has the most features.
>>
>>52628963
Also, Cyanogen is the 'official' OPO ROM, it will always be supported. The OPO is typically the first phone to get signed OTA updates from Cyanogen.

Oxygen is by OnePlus, and so it will always be supported.

Exodus is still a great ROM though.
>>
>>52629011
FUCK YOU go listen to slipknot as punishment
>>
>>52629026
Huh
>>
File: 1453234634354.jpg (130 KB, 383x472) Image search: [Google]
1453234634354.jpg
130 KB, 383x472
Been thinking about getting a new phone.
At first i was planning on getting a Zenfone 2, but i heard a lot of bad things about its battery life so now im looking at the LG G3.

Which one do you think its better?
>>
>>52629548
>>52629548
where are you from? and do you have manlet hands?
if you're in the us, get the latest moto x.

i fucked up and bought a zenfone2 instead of a more compact phone. it's my only gripe with it, a 6", 5.5" screen fone while being heavy as fuck.

but desu, zenfone 2's battery life isn't that bad, 3-4 hours of on screen battery life with fast charging on par with galaxy s6. i traded it with a moto g3 tho, since it's mostly a nexus 6 sized phone.
>>
File: fag-laughing-at-fag.jpg (89 KB, 800x547) Image search: [Google]
fag-laughing-at-fag.jpg
89 KB, 800x547
>>52610981
>wants smartphone
>doesn't want spyphone
>>
I want to upgrade from my nexus 5 2013 because poor battery and only 16 GB storage.

audio quality through the headphone jack is important to me.

microSD card would be nice.

as close to stock android as possible.

Considered the Moto X Play but apparently the performance of that one is shit to the point where basic UI animations are laggy.

I want the Nexus 6P, but people say the audio quality is trash
>>
>>52615973
>facebook
>instagram
2016 /g/ in a nutshell
>>
>>52622164

But the pro version is shit, has a 810 and a 1/4 smaller battery.
>>
My phone is completely dead and I need a new one quickly, was thinking redmi note 3, I'm in Italy and I don't want to get it from china.

Any good stored that ship it out of EU?
>>
>>52629663
Im not grom US but the Moto X 2014 looks really interesting.
My main problem with the Zenfone is that i travel a lot, so i'll spend a lot of time either listening to music, playing or bowsing the internet, so im not sure 4 hours is enough for me
>>
>>52629884

honorbuy
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.