[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ Divide Debate 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1441698632613.png (2 MB, 1600x2000) Image search: [Google]
1441698632613.png
2 MB, 1600x2000
Hello /g/. Some of you may have noticed how cancerous this board has become, while others may be perfectly content with it.

I pose the question to you now, is it time we divide ourselves into a consumerism board and a programming board?

Cast your vote now:
https://strawpoll.me/6631693
>>
>>52601465
I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
>>
>>52601465
in favor

vote, /g/ents
>>
>/ptg/
>NEETmail

>programming
>>
>>52601552
/ptg/ is more developer and coder than anything else here
>>
>>52601552
don't be so picky
vote
>>
>>52601465
OP here, I'll just throw in my two cents. I went through the catalog and made that picture, I'd say there's a pretty clear divide on this board right now.

>>52601552
I figured they're software related so it belonged in /prog/. I envision /prog/ as not being strictly programming, but also other areas of IT in general, maybe even some hardware, but the main thing being excluded is the general consumerism shit that's on /g/ now.
>>
let's go!
>>
bumpin for /prog/ (not OP)
>>
this ain't gon work, huh.
>>
Those of you voting no, what's your reasoning? I'm curious of people's thoughts on this
>>
>>52601465
prog seems a bit too specific for the things listed there, such as tox, unsecure cams and linux distros. I say we make
/ct/ - consumer technology, and
/so/ - software
>>
>>52601887
ok, where does rooting a phone belong?
>>
>>52601910
/so/ because it has to do more with the rooting than with the phone. if the thread were something like "which phone is best for rooting" then it would go on /ct/
>>
>>52601465
yeah, lets divide /g/ again

lets make interesting content even more sparse

/sci/, /o/, /p/, /k/, /diy/, hell why stop there lets just make a board for specific brands, lets make a board for 3dcg! oh wait, yeah, that one board that was 'necessary' and is now dead. who the fuck even noticed it gone amirite

and then once /prog/ is created what will happen once it inevitably forks off again because some stupid meme will be posted everywhere
>COMPILE LISP
>WHICH IS IT /prog/?
) {
>or )
{
>EVERYDAY UNTIL YOU LIKE IT
L M A O
suddenly prog is split between fanbases which really shouldn't matter since its one of the slowest boards on the site and they have their place but still autists are mad as fuck about seeing the same content every day which will happen regardless
>>
>>52601954
we already had a text based programming board.
I think the idea here is to have a technology board, and consumer board.

maybe /g/adget and /dev/ ?
>>
>>52601954
what a convincing point you bring up there. I think that we should just go back to having only 2 boards so we can allow room for "real" conversation
/a/ - anime and manga
/b/ - everything else
>>
File: 1418684956425.jpg (18 KB, 337x361) Image search: [Google]
1418684956425.jpg
18 KB, 337x361
>>52601465
You're implying anyone here can actually program and doesn't just shitpost in videocard threads with
>muh gaymen is for childrens
>>
As long as both sides fuck off with RMS I'll be happy. He is the true cancer that is killing /g/
>>
>>52601887
I don't know if /so/ is such a good name either. Maybe we would want to include hobbiest tech projects involving hardware?

>>52601954
Maybe we need to recombine some boards as well. Assimalate /k/ and /o/, and /p/ into consumer tech. And we'll include /sci/ and /diy/ into the new board, which will be for programming, hobbiest projects, etc.

>>52602011
But I also like this idea as well. /g/ has enough content to split us into two boards and not be dead.
>>
>>52602045
b8/10
>>
>>52602045
retard
>>
I like it as it is, I like having one board with a diverse amount of content that all interests me.
I wouldn't like it to get fragmented, since I believe that would decrease content.
>>
>>52602045
And we have our first /consumer/ user right here.
>>
>>52602053
I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm on /g/ like 18 hours a day, whether that means literally browsing it, or just running a refresh loop on a side monitor /g/ is a pretty dead board, but there's a pretty even split like OP shows in the picture.

half of /g/'s bumping problems can be solved by pinning >>>/g/sqt

but the board is slow, but not slow enough to need the consumer bullshit.
>>
>>52602053
/diy/ here, fuck no
>>
File: smug_anime_slut.jpg (23 KB, 490x480) Image search: [Google]
smug_anime_slut.jpg
23 KB, 490x480
>>52602057
>>52602061
>>52602089
>>
>>52602053
arent /k/, /o/ and /p/ relatively large boards though. if we combine them im afraid that itll become too big and thus become shitty. isnt that the whole reason why you guys want to split /g/ in the first place
>>
>>52602024
you mean /a/, /jp/, /c/, etc for the same exact shit. and hey lets make a /ma/ for manga too, and maybe /co/ for comics. what? /co/ has cartoons too? /ca/ yeah lets fix problems that dont actually exist. this is how you sound, 10 different boards to discuss things are marginally different from one another

what about your community is so large? nothing. there are only 6 or so threads devoted to the topic you think deserves an entire board. siphening off discussion into their own little camps isn't always the solution
>>
>>52601887
I don't think /so/ or /prog/ are good ideas. While most of what would belong on that board would be software development, wed just be opening up to inevitable flame about "webdev isn't programming" or wed have the odd hardware development discussion be confused about where to go.

The abbreviations should be /g/ and /gd/ for consumer technology and technological development. That way the people who come to g for tech support end up in consumer where they belong, and the people looking for any kind of development know where to go

Eventually, the names will boil down to consumer and development. We just need a transition period for all of the different topics to filter themselves out.
>>
>>52602044
Stop self projecting ,anon.
>>
>>52601465
why not just terminate this board ?
>>
>>52601465
/ptg/ belongs in the >>>/trash/
but fuck this though, why do people interested in non-gaymer/consumer hardware discussion have to be stuck in macfag/kiddo central?
>>
>/ptg/
>not a circlejerking thread

it's literally a subreddit at this point.
>>
what bout muh flt?

It's pretty much the only reason why i still come here, at least i can help a complete retard use ubuntu
>>
We should only split the board up if it's moving too fast. If the phone threads are really that triggering it's easy enough to just hide them. Also, a lot of the threads don't really fall into either consumer or programming.
>>
>>52602294
>>52602362
if there was a /prog/, they'd probably allow non-consumer related hardware discussion. But I'm thinking the split needs to be different than I originally made in the OP. Something like this anons idea >>52602143.

>>52602357
That would be in hypothetical /prog/ or /gd/ or whatever we call it board.
>>
>>52601465
Don't fucking split.
Introduce proper moderation.
All you have to do is enforce the rules mentioned in the fucking sticky, nothing else.

I'm fairly fucking sure right at the moment /g/ shares it's mods with /v/eddit

>bait threads are up for hours
>/v/eddit related garbage stays up till archieve
>complaint about /v/eddit related garbage ends you with a 3 day ban with asinine bullshit as reason like "You're not helping"
>>
>>52602294
ptg actually belongs in /t/, you know the torrents board
>>
>>52602416
that's a pretty good idea. How does one become a mod anyway? I'm on /g/ most of the day, I would whip this place back into shape if I had the chance.
>>
>Some of you may have noticed how cancerous this board has become
>/ptg/

The picture you posted as an example is basically stale /r9k/ memes used by idiots and dumb twitter niggerspeak; I can't think of any thread on this board that's more of an eyesore or overtly full of high school kids.

Compulsively hoarding shit for free in a secret club isn't any less consumerist than paying for it.
>>
first reply decides the results of this strawpoll
>>
>>52602551
/g/ stays /g/

We need to just moderate shit threads.
>>
>>52601465
Why can't we just ban consumer shit?
>>
>>52602476
what about people who use torrenting for distribution and FTP..? seriously there's more to technology than consumption of media. I have a buddy who runs a record label and all of their music is distributed via torrent.

like I said already, >>>/g/sqt needs to be sticky.
>>
>>52602476
This. I feel like /r9k/ ruined this place with stupid memes and overused buzzwords (ex. calling anything they don't like a "meme").

I don't understand why technology attracts so many NEETs, autists, and weaboos.
>>
>>52601465
>https://strawpoll.me/6631693
some one is running a vote bot on the yes option.
>>
File: Nagato.Yuki.full.906566[1].jpg (530 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Nagato.Yuki.full.906566[1].jpg
530 KB, 1920x1080
This is the 15,498th time we've had this pointless discussion.
>>
>>52602615
Damn, shoulda enabled captca. Oh well, it was clear that there was a pretty consistent 60/40 split in favour of dividing /g/
>>
>>52602660
before the bot started it was 63/42
now its in the hundreds for the split option.
>>
Just fuck off and make your own board on infinitechan. Oh people don't browse your board?? well too bad you fucking loser.

Filters are all you need, I'm browsing a whole new level of /g/ after filtering generals and some keywords.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>52602689
There's 236 No's now, not Yes's
>>
>>52602613
>I feel like /r9k/ ruined this place
I've been saying this for fucking ever. /r9k/ is fucking cancer. It destroyed not only /g/ but a large part of this site. It's absolutely hilarious how they actually believe they are the "saviors" of 4chan.
>>
>>52601954
/prog/ existed until not so long ago
Ironically it got axed because back when it existed consumer threads weren't as prominent. Text board, i know, but it was part of the site already and thus isn't really new nor dividing.
>>
>>52602615
is there a vote bot on both options?
I find it hard to believe it got that many voters in this short amount of time.
maybe i"m used to slower boards
>>
I just want to talk about and help people with computer hardware, Linux, and gaming on Linux. The autism, generals, senseless shitposting, weeb posting, pretend programmers, and phones can fuck right off.
>>
>>52602853
Someone was vote botting for no, so I rebalanced it to reflect what the percentages or real votes were.
>>
File: i dont like thing.jpg (86 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
i dont like thing.jpg
86 KB, 500x628
>>52602855
I just want to talk about desktop ricing, mpv, video cards, phones, and other consumer electronics. Computer hardware, loonix, and gaymen on loonix threads can fuck right off.
>>
>>52602931
Noted
>>
>>52602584
Pretty much this. We just need moderation.

Low-hanging fruit topics like OS wars should be banned without question, /g/ should not coddle retards and pseudo-intellectual fanboys that don't know shit about technology other than how to shitpost about it. The same also goes for shitty meme threads and one-liner twitter shit like "X ON SUICIDE WATCH" bullshit.

Show-and-tell generals like /bst/, guts and desktop threads belong in the >>>/trash/, 4chan is not a chat room, and the same flurry of tired reposts inevitably turns these threads into a circlejerk of tripfags, some anon regulars and all of their shitty memes and in-jokes that shut everyone else out of the topic.

Repeat daily shill threads don't fucking belong here, we don't need five threads a day about the latest Microshit/Apple/Google facebook machine, or seven a day about fucking Windows 10.

Blogposting (so I got this..., I want to buy this..., ...did I do good /g/?, what do you think of this thing I have /g/?, etc) needs to fuck off.

Recommendation threads, gaymer shit and tech support threads are unavoidable, but I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to sticky some mega-generals for those and refresh them every couple of days or when they hit 3000 posts. If someone just wants tech support or a rate for their gaming shitbox to bolster their e-dick, they can just go there instead of shitting up the catalog or other threads with another lame stupid question.
>>
>>52602956
And fuck off with the drake shit
>>
>>52601465

By the Emperor, it shall be so!
>>
/g/ is "technology". Consumer electronics fit into that category. Technology shouldn't be just about programming, it should include the whole spectrum. Splitting the board is pointless as fuck. Fucking segways are /g/. So are spaceships and fake tits. Programming has a place here and so do consumer electronics. /g/ is not so fast paced that your favourite topics are going to get lost in a quagmire of shit that doesn't interest you.

A previous poster said it and I'll second it, it just needs better moderation. /sqt/ should and could accommodate a crap ton of useless threads but people are idiots and get away with it so they keep it up.

My 2c.
>>
>>52602931

Then vote yes
>>
>>52602956
/thread
>>
>>52603012
Or no.
>>
>>52602956
>4chan is not a chat room
The fucking desktop thread faggots say goodnight to eachother.
>>
File: image.png (428 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
428 KB, 1334x750
>>52602956
This

>>52602983
Sorry he's here to stay
>>
>>52603064
Weebs with piss bottles and waifu desktops need love too
>>
No. Hardware and software are closely related. Discussions of software invariably involve how to make efficient use of hardware, and discussions of hardware invariably involve how well it will run the software you want. Trying to keep them separate is foolish.
>>
>>52603064
I fucking hate the desktop and battle station threads. It's just the same 10 people circlejerking over the same pictures they post over and over
>>
>>52603079
Go to IRC
>>
File: lelll.jpg (55 KB, 991x902) Image search: [Google]
lelll.jpg
55 KB, 991x902
>>52603064
>The fucking desktop thread faggots say goodnight to eachother.
>>
The one effective way to derail a thread such as a desktop thread is to put stuff that pisses them off. Usually stock desktops triggers desktop threads/generals users.
>>
>>52603228
Just keep spamming >>>/trash/
>>
No, and it's not going to happen. /g/ moves at a pretty healthy pace, and this board is pretty good for making threads that are relevant compared to others. The mods will see it the same way, there's no reason to split up a solid board into two that will move at the speed of molasses and where the line is too fuzzy between the two.

Some people need to accept that some people are going for like things that they don't like.
>>
>>52602613
>I don't understand why technology attracts so many NEETs, autists, and weaboos.
That's all of 4chan
>>
they coexist just fine, ever since moot2 every tom dick and harry has been demanding their own board. It works just fine now please just fuuuckkkk offfffffffffffffffff.
>>
>>52601465
The /prog/ half is just consumerism without spending money. Instead of retards who invested their money and feels ripped off and need to justify their purchase, it's got retards who wasted their time and feel ripped off and need to justify the time investment.

The whole board is cancer and it's not even because the type of content. The people here are just retards.
>>
>>52602416
This.
Don't contain the cancer, cut it out entirely.
Just like /mlp/ was a mistake, so too will /consumer/ be a mistake.
>>
/prog/ was the best (text) board 4chan ever had
>>
>>52603339
My mom says I'm special
>>
>>52602045
you don't belong here
>>
Desktop Threads are a staple of /g/.
They were here before Reddit was even a thing (2009).

I say with safety that desktop threads should, if we're dividing, go to the consumer part of /g/.
>>
>>52603354
How was /mlp/ a mistake? Are you too new that you weren't here to remember the days when they overran /co/ and /b/?
>>
>>52603392
Extremist freetards don't belong anywhere.
>>
File: 1376587336849.jpg (32 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1376587336849.jpg
32 KB, 413x395
>>52603064
jesus christ
>>
I agree, these fags are cancer >>52603049
>>
There's like 17 people who frequent /g/ at most.
Enjoy getting a reply after 50 minutes if you add a containment board.
>>
>>52603406
>/co/ and /b/
nothing of value and it would've died out, now ponyfags intentionally come here
>>
>>52603249
>Some people need to accept that some people are going for like things that they don't like.
That argument is incredibly hypocritical, considering a lot of discussion on this board is driven by "stop liking things I don't like!" And most of the threads being complained about aren't being complained about because the subject is unlikable, it's because the discussion is shit, the kind of people it attracts are garbage that lower the overall quality and enjoyment of the board, or it's simply just low-hanging fruit plebeian shit that belongs on a more "mainstream" consumer technology forum or Reddit.

Even without that hypocrisy, that's a pretty valid reason to take that course of action if the majority of the board doesn't like that thing, and said thing's extremely normalfag fan/userbase is generally detrimental to the overall quality of discussion and doesn't belong here in the first place.
>>
File: FAGGOTRY.png (14 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
FAGGOTRY.png
14 KB, 512x512
>>52601465
Great idea, OP!

This whole "board" thing isn't really working out IMO. We should allow users to pick and choose what sort of stuff they want a particular section, let's call them subreddits, to be about. Heck let's split those subreddits into even more subreddits until we get to the point where entire subreddits are discussing things so specific that only one person gives a shit and talks to himself the whole time.

Doesn't that sound like a great idea guys? Let's make this place more like reddit!
>>
>>52603406
I remember alright, I'm saying giving it a board instead of just making a global rule against horsefuckers was a bad idea.
/mlp/ should have been a second /fur/. Permanently ban every one who ever posted there.
>>
>>52603404
>I say with safety that desktop threads should, if we're dividing, go to the consumer part of /g/.

retarded, we are programming and scripting parts of our desktop all the time, if we are consumers then so is someone writing code for that CPU they never built.
>>
>>52603430
the guy who keeps spamming
>go to /trash/ go to /trash/
is just as autistic as the desktop thread fuckers
>>
File: 1439260644528.jpg (151 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1439260644528.jpg
151 KB, 1000x1000
>>52603478
>we are programming and scripting parts of our desktop all the time
Fucking kill me now
>>
>>52603478
Would you see someone posting desktops on the same board someone is discussing for the 34245237378th time that OOP is bad and people claiming P=NP is real?

No.
>>
>>52603406
>Are you too new that you weren't here to remember the days when they overran /co/ and /b/?
I'm a /co/mrade and a horsefucker and trust me you are fucking wrong. Yeah 2011 was a pretty bad year for /co/, but /mlp/ is the dumbest thing moot ever did. Now it just makes people self righteous about getting what they want. You just have to call something the new MLP and maybe it'll get enough attention that the mods ban it.
>>
>>52603478
>copying config files from the internet and slightly editing them to change the colors is "programming"

Deskredditors, everyone
>>>/trash/
>>
>>52603514
>Deskredditors
Desktop threads are some of the oldest threads on /g/. What exactly is your issue with them?
>>
>>52603474
Honestly think /g/ needs to stay the way it is.

It is cancer, yes, but if it splits both sides will slow down to a halt, killing both boards at the same time.
>>
>>52603541
Maybe that's the plan
>>
File: 1430835043802.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1430835043802.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>52603478
>programming and scripting parts of our desktop all the time
kek, as if it's something you mention on the desktop thread or really doing it anyway
>>
>>52603530
Desktop thread poster here, the idea behind them is okay, but everyone in them right now is an idiot.
Once you post your desktop, there's nothing to do but talk. So instead of discussing desktops, people start blogposting, which in turn turns into 'circlejerking' and spamming anime.
>>
>>52603541
They both can't die. There's clearly enough of an interest to keep both boards alive. You think we're all just gonna disappear?
>>
>>52603541
That was my point. Splitting boards is stupid, and it just kills discussion. We don't need 1000 boards for every single niche interest, we need better moderation and stricter rules to keep out the cancer.

Honestly anyone advocating for splitting up boards seems new in my eyes. People who legitimately think /vg/ and /mlp/ was a good idea instead of better moderation are fucking retards.
>>
Desktop threads are the best part of /g/
>>
If /prog/ indeed appears, we would have to divide /dpt/ into many threads, one for each language or development stuff.
>>
>>52603530
They're a chat room full of tripfags, their blogs, shitty cancerous memes and in-jokes that shut out anyone who doesn't confirm to their own tastes.

In themselves they don't need to be trashed, however in their current form they do need to be heavily reformed.
>>
>>52603578
Then it's on you to fix it. Or at the very least it's on mods to crack down on shitposting.

I frequent /ptg/ a lot and I know how bad it is, honestly it should be canned completely because the threads turn into blogposting and avatarfagging a lot.
>>
>>52603456
>That argument is incredibly hypocritical

No it isn't.
>>
>better moderation
This is the only answer. And sticky the goddamn /sqt/
>>
>>52602045
>tripfag
>claiming someone other than him is killing an anonymous dutch weaving forum
>>
>>52601465
MUCH EXCITE

A programming board would be tight
>>
>>52603623
Are you going to tell me you only come here to praise things and just love everything about everything?

Are you telling me you've never argued about something on 4chan?
>>
>>52603641
>arguing about things on the internet
>>
>>52603655
>letting people be wrong on the internet
>>
>segregation is always the answer
>>
>>52603627
/thread
>>
>>52603578
Desktop threads should be about discussing desktops, like window managers, user scripts, desktop utilities, sharing config files, general ricing tips, etc.

But every time I've posted there they all just jump on the fact that there's no anime on my desktop, so I stop going in there. I'd gladly discuss the things I mentioned above but they only want to post weeb shit and pretend to be 10 year old girls. That's fine with me if they want to, but fuck off to /a/ first, they don't belong in /g/.
>>
>>52601465
Most of the traffic is from either group shit posting on the other. Why would you split us up? Especially when it highlights the retards in each group.
>>
>>52603683
they only say because your desktop is total trash
>>
>>52603683
>I'd gladly discuss the things I mentioned above but they only want to post weeb shit and pretend to be 10 year old girls. That's fine with me if they want to, but fuck off to /a/ first, they don't belong in /g/.
See it's this sort of post that makes me think the people here are fucking newfags.

Desktop threads have literally (LITERALLY) always been like that. I wish I could pull some threads for like 7-8 years ago where it's literally just ricing whatever WM was popular at the time with pictures of Clannad girls.

Just ignore shitposters and talk about desktops. They're probably bored as fuck because there's nothing new to talk about.
>>
>>52603683
They will shove all of their own sad insecurities up your ass if you have an actual usable desktop or something that doesn't have weeb shit going on.

It's literally a chat room for a couple dozen sad fucks.
>>
>>52603683
I'm sorry to say this but >>52603743 is right. There are non-anime desktops that don't get callled out about that.
>>
>>52603743
Then you should have gone to /a/ or /w/ if you wanted a hugbox.
>>
>>52603584
I don't know much about /vg/ but /mlp/ was a containment board. Many people on the boards I frequented were getting pissed at the off topic threads being started and maintained by those fucks. I guess there was enough commotion over all of 4chan to warrant a board of that nature.
>>
>>52603784
I always found it funny how Desktop Thread regulars consider themselves to be the apex of taste when the average desktop posted in those threads is considered tacky tryhard trash and mocked by much of the rest of /g/.

If you're going to shit on something, you should do it constructively, otherwise you're just shitposting like a child and continuing to make a poor case for yourself.
>>
>>52603799
So what? It was popular, but you use actual moderation and you can control it. Maybe if /v/ and /co/ had better mods they could have stopped pony threads and handed out more bans. The only reason it got out of hand in the first place was due to huge overreactions by haters. All /mlp/ did was validate their victim complex so they get to have their safe spaces that are pink pastel pony free.
>>
File: CaptainPhillips_Hanks_Abdi.jpg (17 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
CaptainPhillips_Hanks_Abdi.jpg
17 KB, 620x350
>>52603784
>There are non-anime desktops that don't get callled out about that.
But you still have to have a certain "look" to fit in. You're trying to be the high-school clique that you never got to be a part of.
>>
>>52603895
>you still have to have a certain "look" to fit in
Just non trash "look" will do.
>>
>>52603895
His point is the "look" doesn't require anime. The "not anime" shit is mostly a meme to piss off people who unironically loathe anime yet still post on 4chan. Mostly.
>>
>>52603924
>non trash
So, pastel colors and horrible fonts from 90s computer movies?
>>
>>52603964
so what does your desktop look like, post it,
>>
>Windows 10 is not /consumer/-tier
>>
File: 1405747831898s.jpg (2 KB, 117x125) Image search: [Google]
1405747831898s.jpg
2 KB, 117x125
>>52603064
>>
>>52603981
Normal. Usable.
>>
>>52603878
I don't disagree with you at all on the lack of proper moderation, I saw too many pony threads on /b/ and /g/.

But good moderation would have still created a Pony free environment for everyone else.
>>
>>52604034
the bad part is your meme icons and OMG why do you have an already autistic and retarded ARCH LOGO menu button when you are using fucking antergos anyway hahahahah
>>
File: dfim9xmqlaphdhil.jpg (25 KB, 349x466) Image search: [Google]
dfim9xmqlaphdhil.jpg
25 KB, 349x466
>>52603064
>>
>>52604034
>Numix
At least make your own GTK.

Nobody wants to see what they've seen hundred times already.
>>
>>52604068
Aaaaand you proved everyone's point. Thanks.
>>
+1 for /prog/
>>
File: 1447988383984.png (452 KB, 477x424) Image search: [Google]
1447988383984.png
452 KB, 477x424
>>52604068
>he thinks Antergos isn't Arch
>>
>>52601465
Yes this needs to happen.
A thousand times this.
/g/ - Consumer Electronics
/prog/ - Programming
>>
>>52604078
>At least make your own GTK.

I'm so glad I'm not unemployed.
>>
>>52604034
all the riced desktops are just as usable as stock
thats not an argument at all
>>
>>52604015
> Windows 10 -> /prog/
> Mac OS X -> /consumer/

Just move both to consumer or remove them both, but for programming:
Linux > Mac OS X >>>> Windows
>>
>>52604145
>I just wan't people to like the things that I post even though I put 0 effort into creating them
>>
>>52604121
not him. but antergos isn't arch. you are too dumb to install arch, and thus you aren't even worthy of calling your abomination of a system "arch".
you can slap a ferrari logo on a wooden cart, but it's still not a ferrari.
>>
File: Touhous 64.jpg (295 KB, 678x845) Image search: [Google]
Touhous 64.jpg
295 KB, 678x845
>wants to move to /prog/ because /g/ isn't elitist enough
>complains when desktop threads are too elitist
>>
>>52604160
Usable by the one sad man behind that loli filled thinkpad that memorized all of his keyboard shortcuts with index cards
>>
>>52604242
If you're going to use that analogy, it's a Ferrari with an Antergos sticker on it.
>>
File: 1451373726032.gif (2 MB, 303x227) Image search: [Google]
1451373726032.gif
2 MB, 303x227
>>52603064
>>
>>52604252
it takes like ten seconds to remember keyboard shortcuts even if you use some shitty tiling wm
>>
>>52604242
If I were to ever move to Arch from Gentoo I'd use Antergos, since I prefer the logo more.

Yes, I am diagnosed with autism.
>>
>>52604279
Glad you didn't negate any other part of the post.
>>
>>52604252
It makes sense why nobody on desk threads likes you.
>>
>>52601465

I end up with 3/4 of all threads minimized because it's the same old circle jerk shit headphones/watches/trackers/screenshots/whatsTheBest?/

If 9-1chan didn't run like complete shit I wouldn't even bother with coming here anymore.

Hell you can't even type the words f-u-l-l c-h-a-n on this site anymore.

This whole place is cancer
>>
>>52604242
Antergos IS Arch. Way to shitpost, breh
>>
File: speakers.jpg (300 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
speakers.jpg
300 KB, 1200x800
As long as we don't talk about shitty computer speakers, speaker threads are fine
>>
>>52603064
You're right, holy shit
>>52604309
>>
>>52604298
Well, praise Jesus. I don't like them either. Not that I'd ever see them at the bar anyways.
>>
You split up /g/, the /prog/ board is gonna end up more inbred and cancerous than the average /vg/ thread
>>
>>52604355
>jealous of someone elses internet friends
>>
File: 1420404925629.jpg (49 KB, 605x412) Image search: [Google]
1420404925629.jpg
49 KB, 605x412
>>52604375
>internet friends
>>
>being so mad about desktop threads not liking your desktop that you make a shitty off-topic meta thread
lmao
>>
>>52604242
>but antergos isn't arch
Maybe you should do some research before you post next time.
>>
>>52604392
this thread isn't about desktop threads, it's about all of /g/
I see that you were mad enough to come here from there to complain, though
>>
>>52604426
I read the thread and most of it is just bitching about desktop threads
>>
File: Evangelions 23.png (179 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Evangelions 23.png
179 KB, 600x600
>>52604426
desktop threads are the most important threads on /g/ though
>>
>>52604431
Probably because they're cancer. To your credit, though, you guys mostly keep it contained.
>>
>>52604437
fuck off, your desktop is shit by the way

>>52604431
try reading the OP
>>
>>52604461
for some reason I don't trust the opinion of some whining loser, jealous of our internet club
>>
>>52604456
Then what's to complain about? desktop threads don't affect the rest of the board at all
if you really want to complain, complain about the homescreen threads
those dumbasses don't know how to use the catalog, there are usually like 3 or 4 threads up at any given time
>>
>>52603641
I'm going to tell you that it's really easy to ignore threads that I don't like.
>>
I think that we also should be able to actually discuss tech. Without fanboyfaggots cirklejerking everywhere.

/2.g/
>>
>>52604437
seconding this
>>
>>52604331
>>52604425
antergos is the tryhard layer on top of arch for people who have no actual need to use arch, but desperately want to look cool because they use arch.
you know you're not cool for using something you don't understand right? people use arch because it's a lightweight distribution, FOR PEOPLE WHO NEED THAT. it's like rolling your own cigarettes. if you prefer tailor made, use ubuntu. if you can roll your own cigarettes well, and you can save money, do it.
but when you roll shittily, and you have the money to buy cigarettes, don't roll your own cigarettes to look cool. that's the best analogy i can give.

basically, antergos is that kid you knew in your teens who didn't actually skate, but smoked way too much weed and still wears skate brands
>>
>>52604498
>Then what's to complain about?
Did you skip over my first statement?
>complain about the homescreen threads
>there are usually like 3 or 4 threads up
Oh, I fucking agree. You just happen to be the target of the day.

None of your threads are really related to a tech board. You might as well be on >>>/fa/ You goddamn well know it's about circle jerking, yet you go into a thread about video cards (actual new computer hardware) and call everyone children for using them.
>>
>>52604359
Then don't come here complaining.
>>
>>52604594
would it calm your heart if I came and told you goodnight and posted cute pictures in your threads every now and again?
>>
>>52604437
yeah no
>>
>>52604570
THIS IS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT LINUX DISTROS.

You should get a real hobby, bro.
>>
>>52604594
I just don't see what the deal is, desktop threads are one of the most innocuous generals on this board
between the /dpt/ making multiple threads because of traps/no traps/anime/no anime, multiple homescreen threads up at once, I don't see what's to complain about with a general that entirely keeps to themselves other than "wahhh they didn't like my desktop"
>>
>>52604501
Probably because you likely come here for consumer technology discussion, and there's plenty of that to choose from.

If you're not into that, gaming shit or mindless shitposting, you have to sift through a lot of bullshit to get to the good stuff, it's quite infuriating.
>>
>>52604461
>your desktop is shit by the way
Who are you to say this?

Ben's desktop is highly acclaimed and he has been awarded the "Best in Thread" reply numerous times and you're just some nobody saying it's shit lmao.
>>
>>52604642
>Ben
who???
>>
>>52604624
i have a few, computers being one of them
i actually prefer bsd now, because linux is starting to go full on nodejs tier hipster trash
i still used arch linux for a few years and couldn't fucking stand the people who use a distro they don't understand just to look cool
use ubuntu for fucks sake, it's the same functionality considering you don't bother touching anything behind your predesigned desktop environment
why use a distro DESIGNED with power users in mind if you're no where near a power user?
>>
>>52604654
Someone who is more important than you.
>>
>>52604631
You're hopeless.
>>
>>52604663
literally ?w?h?o? are you???
>>
>>52604437
I love it when desktop thread faggots see people shitting on them in another thread and then promptly invade them with a spam of "they're important ~~~" trying to act like they don't care what we think, yet at the same time showing how much they do to the point that they try to monopolize the whole thread with their blog
>>
>>52604680
gonna have to ask you to slow down on the tumblr talk there

like literally i c?a?n?t EVeN!!!??
>>
>>52604570
>thinking Linux distros are actually different from each other besides their package manager
Boy, do I have a story for you...
>>
>>52604705
¿w?h¿a?t¿
>>
>>52604674
Indeed, the appalling state of the board right now is pretty hopeless, isn't it?
>>
File: Evangelions 35.jpg (57 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
Evangelions 35.jpg
57 KB, 450x600
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT
>>
>>52604680
A professional desktop reviewer.

>>52604698
This is a pseudo-desktop thread at this point. This thread is about desktop thread, not about some split.
>>
>>52604736
>A professional desktop reviewer.
who the FUCK are you
ill meme your ass straight to hell kid
do you have ANY idea who you are talking to??
>>
>>52604662
What are you really ranting about? I can install arch. I have multiple times. It's tedious and just plain nonsense.

I wanted a 100% arch base with no setup bullshit, good font rendering, AUR support, and a decent desktop all out of the box. I get that with Antergos. What are you really angry about? That I took the shortcut and won?
>>
>>52604752
>>52604736

These to faggots...

Take your foreplay to another room.
>>
>>52604642
I'm literally the best dtt poster
>>
>>52601465
>this board has become
>this board has become

Happens every year, this board has always been cancerous. Just ride it out, this place is simultaneously infected and immune from death.
>>
>>52601465
Yeah, let's create another 10 fucking boards with 3 thread a week.
Just fuck off you damn faggot.
>>
>>52604809

Yes. It is also:

>It's TWO.

Fuck off.
>>
>>52601954
>actually enjoying /b/ levels of organization
Plus, all those board you mention ar alive, well and not shit except for /sci/.
>>
File: >g.jpg (2 MB, 1918x5437) Image search: [Google]
>g.jpg
2 MB, 1918x5437
>>52602956
>no retards
>no fanboys
>no memes
>no baits
>these are banned on spot
>no generals
>no show off threads
>no chat
>no tripfagging
>no circlejerking
>no memes again
>these go to >>>/trash/
>no blogposting
>no consumerism
>no recomendations
>no tech support
>no gayming
>these go to 3000 fucking post sticky.

Wow, congratulations! You managed to eliminate 100 PERCENT of /g/ !

Seriously, by your definition /g/ should not be a discussion but a dump board parallel to /d/ or /wsg/.
>>
>>52605017
>implying both don't have stable and useful communities
>>
>>52603530
They've turned into chatrooms. The desktop, BST, guts, homescreen, and EDC threads are filled with the same people every day. Instead of being any discussion/comments about what was posted, the relevant posts just serve as an announcement that "RicerRAM304 has entered chat."

These things should not be going 24/7 with the same 15 people occupying all of them.
Your desktop didn't change. Why are you creating another /desktop/ thread as soon as the previous hits the bump limit?
Your homescreen didn't change. Why are you creating another /homescreen/ thread as soon as the previous hits the bump limit?
Your guts didn't change. Why are you creating another /guts/ thread as soon as the previous hits the bump limit?
Your EDC didn't change/ Why are you creating another /edc/ thread as soon as the previous hit the bump limit?

These threads should be maybe a once a week occurrence to show what people have or have not updated, not variations on /b/'s old 24/7 pony thread.
If the board is calling out for a pony thread, there should be a pony thread. End of story. We don't need twelve poor-man's versions of a pony thread.
>>
>>52605115
just posting to let you know I didn't read this
>>
>>52605115
>These things should not be going 24/7 with the same 15 people occupying all of them.

50 unique IP every thread
>>
There are other websites you could go to that would provide what you want. The problem is that those boards don't move fast enough, because smart people who like to have good conversations on the internet are rare.

The bulk of people are idiots who want to shitpost about crap, and so they come to 4chan to shitpost about crap. Then the smart people who want to have good conversations come to 4chan because they get bored of sitting around for days waiting for new posts to show up.

There is no solution to this problem, other than,"Go outside and talk to real people".
>>
>>52605115
4chan users dictate what threads are bumped. This just shows /g/ has several autists.
Probably best to just ignore them if you don't like it.
>>
>>52605170
I don't mind that there's a thread. Read the whole post. I suggested there be one.
But we only need ONE pony thread.
>>
>>52605209
I don't understand your point. There are typically only one of every single one of those threads active at any time. It's not the same as /b/ threads, because /b/'s bump/post limit rules are different

Desktop threads are annoying, because of the idiots who insist on starting "non-anime" desktop threads parallel to the other desktop thread, and those should be deleted.
>>
>>52605278
they usually are, unless the mod is being particularly lazy
>>
>>52603064
>goldfacextreme.jaypeg
>>
>>52605068
They do, but that's because they focus on actually being image boards.

Conversely, what the fuck do you have related to technology that you can dump except your battle station or desktop?

On other discussion boards like /a/ for example you can share image from different shows etc. What are images you going to share related to technology that you can fill up a whole thread about it?
Seriously, just look at this thread:
>219 posts
>25 images
>mostly animu & reaction images

Technology is generally a shitty topic for an *image board* which is why /g/ should be kill and /prog/ should be let to live.
>>
>>52605434
Are you asking me directly or in general? Because I am a consumershit who finds the programming and dev threads and people annoying.
>>
File: K-ons 292.png (159 KB, 750x707) Image search: [Google]
K-ons 292.png
159 KB, 750x707
>>52605434
this entire thread is bitching and whining and certified offtopic
>>
>>52605278
>There are typically only one of every single one of those threads active at any time
And they can be rolled into one pony thread. That's all these things are as of now -- a pony thread. Lift the fucking ban and let them chat while posting ponies instead of making them split off into 12 nonsense threads.
>>
200+ posts and nobody says anything about that shit Ruby doing in "programming" section...
Yeah definitely no separation needed since you are all same cancer. Consumerists are the same people caliming to know programming and all about that text editors wars and ricing useless environments.
>>
>>52605481
>i'm mad the majority of users don't enjoy my circlejerking
>>
If you sit around and complain about the direction the board is taking over whatever course of time you're essentially the old man sitting on a park bench yelling 'get off my lawn' at everyone that passes by.

You're not entitled to jack shit in terms of content on this board. It's not yours, it doesn't matter how long you've been here or how new you are. You just get to participate and create content.

If you don't like what people are doing here on day X, make your own board somewhere else and moderate it however you like.
>>
>>52605548
>You're not entitled to jack shit in terms of content on this board.
Everyone is certainly entitled to complain
>>
>>52605571
they aren't actually, this entire thread is off-topic meta crap
>>
Remember when people used to talk about microcontrollers? Civil arguments about FPGAs and VLSI. Threads abbout their cool electronic projects? Remember when people could code stuff besides from gay apps and desktop bling?

Where's that /g/?
>>
>>52605608
it never existed
>>
>>52605586
>implying shitposting is not technology
>>
>>52605586
You posted your worthless opinion, didn't you?
>>
>>52605608
That never happened and I've been here for like a decade.
>>
>>52605608
You're fucking hilarious. Where do you shitbirds derive this romanticism from? Nostalgia? Do you really need to be reminded that 4chan was never good?
>>
>>52601465
>windows 10
>not consumer
>tox
>ruby
>not trash
>>
>>52605017
>>no retards
>>no fanboys
>>no baits
Yep, these contribute jack shit to the board and only bring cancerous discussion and the reddit-tier casual pieces of shit that thrive on it with them.

>>no memes
Wrong, this is 4chan after all. However, shitty unoriginal repeat meme threads like drakeposting and Pentium 4 shilling are the kind of things that fall under this.

>>no generals
>>no show off threads
Remember, "show-and-tell generals." There are discussions that commonly recur on the board that do deserve generals anyway, like /sqt/, the daily programming thread, even threads like /tpg/ since it's a good place to ask for advice and repair/upgrade help, and all though it has a show-and-tell component, it's not entirely dedicated to that, and can facilitate discussion beyond a torrent of bulk quote "8/10 ebin guts fellow gamer xDDD" rate shit with no substance.

>>no chat
>>no tripfagging
>>no circlejerking
There are numerous /g/ and /g/-related IRCs for you to do that in, and IRC is much better for doing it. Use them.

>>these go to 3000 fucking post sticky.
Just like many stupid questions and blogs right now go to a 300 post general.

>Wow, congratulations! You managed to eliminate 100 PERCENT of /g/!
There are plenty of communities that get by fine banning shitty flamebait, off-topic circlejerks and shitposting on sight, and this hardly composed 100% of /g/, just a larger than comfortable plurality of it. There are good threads on here still, but why do you feel the need to let plebs and casuals continue to fester here?

>>52605130
>50 unique IPs in a fast-moving, continuous thread on a site accessed by millions of unique IPs every day
>>
It's over /g/.
Desktop thread fags think they're entitled, and all the other cancer threads are not disappearing anytime soon.
Best we migrate somewhere else...
>>
>>52605747
glad I'm not the only one
>>
File: K-ons 229.jpg (188 KB, 559x1000) Image search: [Google]
K-ons 229.jpg
188 KB, 559x1000
>>52605736
we aren't only entitled, we are the best
>>
>>52601465
I don't have any problem with hardware, is technology. If anything this should be the focus rather than OS and programming talk, I mean, is the purpose of the board.
They go hand in hand, so it's pretty hard to talk about one without the other.

Desktops are cancer tho. I don't mind a thread or two talking about UI and DEs but the trippfag circlejerks needs to get pruned.
>>
>>52601954
>/o/, /p/, /k/
boards that no one will browse since they aren't related to computer science, electronic or any other shit like that.

>/sci/ and /diy/
Boards that doesn't have enough people using linux and coding / programming to have nice discussion about technology.

>>52601465
Who the hell wants /prog/ ?
Just move the consumerism shit to a specific board, and keep /g/ as it is today. Just redirect consumerism garbage to the consumerism trash.

Why you want to change the name /g/ - technology ? That's stupid
>>
reminder that this thread is useless and none of this will ever actually happen
>>
>>52605747
Sorry, did you want me to condense that into a nigger tweet for you senpai? I understand it's difficult for /v/edditors and desktop tards to read anything larger than a post rate, but bear with me here, it's good for your health.
>>
>>52605771
these retards got the western rule34 board by bitching and whining, so why not this too
>>
>>52605608
those literally sound like pretentious college student's pathetic projects or their bragging a bout their courses which are pathetic and primitive.
Also that never existed you fucking pretentious college slave cuck.
>>
>>52605771
no shit, it's just a way to let off steam while shitting on /v/ casuals and then get back to funposting
>>
File: 1449123174353.jpg (454 KB, 660x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449123174353.jpg
454 KB, 660x1000
>>52605781
that would be very helpful, and if you'd attach an anime image to your post that would make it even easier to read
arigatou!
>>
>>52605771
Captain Obvious, everyone!
>>
>>52605680
Maybe it wasn't what /g/ was. But it's what /g/ should of been. It's what /g/ should be god damn it.
>>
The only thing that NEEDS to change is the whole "install gentoo" crap.
Gentoo is not even endorsed by the FSF.
Richard Stallman and Gentoo should not be labeled together at all.
Gentoo heavily pushes users down the path of non free software. It is hardly free as in freedom.

You either choose to keep this "install gentoo" shit and get rid of any trace of RMS on /g/.
Or we drop the whole install gentoo crap, at least rename the Wiki.
You can keep your memes since they will remain regardless of rules.
>>
>>52605807
Too bad, dumbshit, fuck off back to your cancer thread and stop digging a deeper hole for yourself.
>>
>>52605548
The board is moderated for content to maximize the enjoyment of its users. If a small minority is disproportionately shitting things up with their autism, that should be addressed.

Right now there's a "post a screenshot" thread. How often do these things come up? About once a week. Do we have one going 24/7? No. See how that works? A naturally-occurring thread brought up by someone had something to post about what they were running and wanted to see what everyone was too.
Right now we have a desktop thread. We also have the old desktop thread. Both have the same fucking desktops.

>>52602571
>>52603081

>>52603049
>>52602387

>>52602556
>>52603549

>>52596256
>>52603315

>>52602965
>>52603263

>>52592941
>>52603110

It's the most retarded excuse for a pony thread I've ever seen.
Just let them post ponies.
>>
>>52605845
>The board is moderated for content to maximize the enjoyment of its users
hahahahaha good joke
first week here?
>>
>>52605832
I will never give up my RMS. And just because Gentoo is not endorsed by RMS doesn't mean you can't use it as free software. You can just ignore non free programs.
>>
>>52605832
No one says >install gentoo that much anymore.

No one even posts the interjection pasta anymore.
>>
>>52605845
>The board is moderated
>>52605853
>first week here?
More like first fucking ten minutes
>>
/prog/ used to exist. How new are you?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.