[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CoC being "proposed" to the Ruby programming language.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12
File: ruby-mini-logo.png (30 KB, 196x224) Image search: [Google]
ruby-mini-logo.png
30 KB, 196x224
SJWs attempting to make Ruby programming language like Go, "proposing" a contributors covenant.

https://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004
>>
who cares?
>>
I understand the whole "keep womyn from getting control", uncle /pol/.

But is this really important? All it is is a code of conduct, its not like Ruby would have to bend over for any SJW that declares it.
>>
File: polfags6.webm (3 MB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
polfags6.webm
3 MB, 600x250
>>52597140
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>le pol bogeymen

Fuck right off back to /tg/
>>
>>52597828
the point is that adopting it means you are opening the gates to a potential wave of political infighting, as witch hunts ensue against contributors who publicly voice racy opinions in arenas not related to the project.

In the link, there is a lot of discussion over Opalgate, where a dev for Opal (a project which signed a CC) caught shit for tweeting about how he questioned the wisdom of parents that consented to a sex change operations for their 12 year old (who believed that they were transsexual). He was kicked off the project.
>>
relevant

https://4fa6134ddde55ae0092b69e1eb287d2840301d0a.googledrive.com/host/0B6kjFNJtv3yzUjY4M21QenJzdGc/
>>
>>52597828

CoC goes against the hacker ethos, which OSS was built on top of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_ethic
>>
>>52597309
w-who cares, r-right guys

You're a cuck, go back to cuckshed you sissy faggot.
>>
More relevant

http://paul-m-jones.com/archives/6214
>>
Remember to listen to R@ymond

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
>>
>>52598014
>He was kicked off the project.
He wasn't. However, they pretty much forced the project to adopt their shitty CoC minus the part that could get you banned for posting your opinion somewhere else.
>>
>>52597140
On one hand that's retarded, on the other, who with their right mind uses the standard implementation.
I mean, this is not Python, where the worst piece of shit "reference implementation" is the only actually working option.
>>
>>52598031
That was a pretty good read. I don't remember paying any attention to the #shirtgate bullshit when it actually happened but reading about it now sure put a bad taste in my mouth...
>>
>>52597309
>>52597828
>>52597898
>>52597938

has /g/ drank the hair dye?
>>
File: 1451796330315.jpg (856 KB, 1368x1340) Image search: [Google]
1451796330315.jpg
856 KB, 1368x1340
>>52600919

Imagine if the shirtgate dude had worn a patch like this, I know I would.
>>
which one of you is posting about dragon dildos in that thread ffs
>>
File: cuckstorm.png (1 MB, 1500x1900) Image search: [Google]
cuckstorm.png
1 MB, 1500x1900
>>52604340

relevant
>>
>>52604511
kek
>>
>>52604511
Wait, what? Is this post saying someone out there is using python to make rubber cocks?
>>
File: 1452140802362.png (100 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1452140802362.png
100 KB, 375x375
maybe if it was python i would care
>>
>>52606255
>using python to make rubber cocks

There's a pun somewhere in here, I can feel it.
>>
File: eggplant.png (156 KB, 520x245) Image search: [Google]
eggplant.png
156 KB, 520x245
>>52597828
Take care that you don't post any dangerous and offensive emojis, friend.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 227x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 227x225
>>52604511
>>52606255
>>52606600
Dubs chain.
>>
>>52606255

Yes, and the fragility of this guy's sexuality.
>>
why does /g/ get so triggered anything something like this happens?
>>
>>52606722

Lol "triggered", it activated the lol() function
>>
>>52597140
>contributors covenant
IDK what the deuce is going on in this thread or what any of this means, but that sounds like some shitty cult.
>>
>>52606740

People, armed with a "Contributor's Covenant", trawl through open source projects to find projects without a "Code of Conduct" and start issues (i.e. "conversations") about introducing a "Code of Conduct".

Apparently a "Code of Conduct" is required so that new people feel "safe", "welcome", "unmarginalized". As if a document will make people feel more accepted.

It's pants on head insane.
>>
IMO, this is stupid as fuck.

Who gives a damn if you're some black person? Transsexual? Arab? No one.

The only thing that matters in software development, especially open-source development is if you can push in good changes that can help the project grow.

Basically meritocracy. No one gives two fucks about your race, sex, gender, etc. Everyone cares about what you can do with code.

The only thing matters is that if you can push in better code and new features.
>>
Holy shit go hack on the linux kernel and post a pull. Then tell me about your "feelings". This is horseshit and a distraction from just making software.
>>
>>52606839
FFS, I repeated some of my words....
>>
>>52606839
>No one gives two fucks about your race, sex, gender, etc.
Except the people who insist that everyone from all these "marginalized" groups be held up over everyone apparently.

I still don't get how dividing everyone into groups (that have nothing to do with the job at hand) promotes equality.
>>
>>52606863
equality of outcome ahead of all else.
disregard equality of opportunity, work or merit.
>>
>>52606863
>>52606839
if nobody really cared then there'd be no issue
what these kind of things are going for is to promote an environment that is less abrasive to people that aren't straight white dudes

like yeah at the end of the day it might be a meritocracy as far as the push/pull stream goes, but that doesn't stop developers from using racist language, harassing, whatever, even as a part of their basic lexicons as developers and as people

tl;dr if you're a considerate person in the first place this code of conduct shouldn't even change anything
>>
The only thing we have to really take out of this is Matz' views.

https://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004#note-95

Most relevant are these concerns with the CoC:

>The CoC contains banning members from the community as a punishment. This does not mean anything but hurting individuals. One can easily set up a new identity on the net and re-join to the community as much as he/she wants, Besides that one can regret the previous act and change the attitude.
>The CoC covers activities/conversations out of "the community". For example, I may tweet something stupid that hurts somebody else, probably due to lack of imagination, and without concrete definition of the community, I myself should be banned. That's the obligation, according to the CoC, because people label me as a creator of the language, so every act of mine cannot be "personal" under the CoC.

Basically, he's not against a policy of "don't harass/troll/dox people in your commits/pull requests" (which the Ruby community already has in the form of MINASWAN), but doesn't want the heavy bureaucracy associated with it.

Matz has some of the wisdom of Linus... but he's also not an asshole to people. The man is based.
>>
>>52606925
But it does give power to all the wrong people. This even came up during the discussion: https://twitter.com/CoralineAda/status/690334282607378432

>Thoughts on leaving technical mgmt of Ruby to Matz and delegating community mgmt to a separate org?

She seriously proposed some outside team enforcing the CoC on the community.
>>
File: funbox.jpg (825 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
funbox.jpg
825 KB, 2000x3000
relevant
>>
>>52606975
'power'
and what would the people learning to abide by the code of conduct know about the code of conduct they were just introduced to?
>>
>>52597828
>>52597309
>>52597898
>>52597938
are you guys fucking stupid?
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>52606925

People care that outsiders try to come in and disrupt their project.

>promote an environment that is less abrasive to people that aren't straight white dudes

You mean like all the environments where people give no regards to your colour or sexuality.

>but that doesn't stop developers from using racist language, harassing, whatever, even as a part of their basic lexicons as developers and as people

Neither would introducing a piece of bullshit text. It would just remove those people from the project potentially making the project worse.

>tl;dr if you're a considerate person in the first place this code of conduct shouldn't even change anything

tl;dr if you're a considerate person you don't need a code of conduct.
>>
>>52607103
Maybe they should be perfectly familiar and comfortable with any CoC a community adopts and not bludgeoned into accepting one from outside sources.

A CoC is not a bad thing in and of itself but the one they are being pressured to use is abysmal.
>>
>>52607157
it was an opt-in suggestion that the developers can choose to accept or reject lighten up the walls are not falling down
>>
>>52607144
>You mean like all the environments where people give no regards to your colour or sexuality.
people don't have to 'give a shit' to constantly insult you in ways they don't even know are insulting

>tl;dr if you're a considerate person you don't need a code of conduct.
then what's the problem with adding one?
it gives off a good image and attracts workers
>>
>>52607157

Here is an improved version of the Contributor's Covenant. It's called the Contributor's Concordat.

# Contributor Code of Conduct

As contributors and maintainers of this project, and in the interest of fostering well designed, robust code, we pledge to scrutinise all contributions through reporting issues, posting feature requests, updating documentation, submitting pull requests or patches and other activities.

We are committed to making participation in this project a results-driven experience for everyone. No regards will be given to identity, labels, values or beliefs as this project does not discriminate participants based on such aspects. Participants are discriminated only by contributions made to the project.

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

* Whinging, unjustified complaining and otherwise acting "childish"; You are judged as an adult
* Spamming or having an excessive noise-to-signal ratio
* Deceptive and/or passive-aggressive language that hides true intent; Honesty is valued
* Overtly and/or purposely misunderstanding context or demanding that context be reinterpreted.
* Demanding that the project change to suit the needs of contributors instead of the other way around

Project maintainers may, at their discretion, remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor that purposely, maliciously and/or makes numerous contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct.

By adopting this Code of Conduct, project maintainers commit themselves to be guided and informed by these principles to every aspect of managing this project. Project maintainers who do not follow of enforce the Code of Conduct can state justifications for their actions, other project maintainers are free to agree or disagree.
>>
>>52607192

>insult you in ways they don't even know are insulting

Right, so the onus is on everyone to censor themselves because they "may" offend or insult someone. What a waste of energy.

>then what's the problem with adding one?

Because it's... not needed.
>>
>>52607195

This Code of Conduct applies only within project spaces or public spaces in which a contributor is formally representing the project. All other public spaces and private spaces are free of this Code of Conduct.

Instaces of childish, ridiculous, or otherwise vacuous behaviour may be reported by contacting a project maintainer through [ANONYMOUS METHOD]. All complaints will be reviewed and investigated and will result in a response that is deemed necessary and appropriate to the circumstances. Maintainers are obligated to maintain transparency with regard to the contents and resolution of an incident.

This Code of Conduct is an improvement to the [Contributor Covenant][homepage], version 1.3.0, available at
[http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/3/0/][version]

[homepage]: http://4chan.org/g/
[version]: http://4chan.org/g/Code+Of+Conduct
>>
why are y'all so quick to point fingers at people speaking up about problems in coding communities, and not the people making those problems?
like instead of telling minorities to shut up for pointing out issues in language, behaviour, etc. why not just tell the people being dicks to minorities to shut up?
>>
>>52607195
Now there's a CoC I can get behind.
>>
Could someone please explain to this unaware student what the Contributor Covenant is and how it affects developers?
>>
>>52607243
>Right, so the onus is on everyone to censor themselves because they "may" offend or insult someone. What a waste of energy.

it's called being a nice and open minded human being? And learning about how your behaviours can be harmful to others? like this is kindergarten-tier sociality my dude
>>
>>52607262

The people that point fingers, complain and whine are usually the root causes of problems.
>>
>>52607099
Not one of these "men" looks like they have a snowballs chance in hell of getting laid by a non she beast without paying for it.

No wonder they're slaves to anything with a pussy
>>
>>52607271
Its a stupid group that contributes nothing but adding a bunch of rules to purge projects of people they disagree idologically with.
>>
>>52607271
tl;dr don't use hurtful language, don't behave in a way that is offensive to specific people, be a decent human being in a professional environment
>>
>>52607281

As an open minded person, I can accept differing points of view, including opinions that may be considered insulting.

Being closed-minded is when you formalise that everyone in your vicinity act "nice".

Kindergarten was many years ago, you should be able to handle negative behaviour, and even be motivated by it.
>>
>>52607283
>systematic injustice built over centuries that seeps into the very language of common conversation isn't a problem
>>
>>52607281
Exactly, you aren't in kinder anymore, life is tough and language is rough, and if your feelies will somehow dictate the productivity of a place you can fuck right off, or make yourmown fork and see how much more you can contribute rather than trying to take helm of places by merely "trying to help."
>>
>>52604511
Isn't the guy in the pic against the post? His pic is at the bottom there like he's the one who uses the dildos.
>>
>>52607311
>As an open minded person, I can accept differing points of view, including opinions that may be considered insulting.

>you are a lesser human and I will stop at nothing to make sure I have the right to say that is 'an opinion you can learn from'
>>
>>52607318
Its as much of a problem as the boogeyman, mothman, and that one mean thing josh said about yu in fifth grade.
>>
>>52607271
It's a way to leverage the alleged disparagement of minorities within coding communities to give power to people who can't code.
>>
>>52607319
how fucking backwards is this?
minorities are taking up about what hurts them in an effort to, you know, do something about it, and you paint that as weak feely-weelies?

and the general blatant apathy to that kind of action isn't seen as a problem?
>>
>>52607318

>being blind to drama and bullshit one creates and blames the reactions of said drama and bullshit as the real cause

>>52607334

>you are a lesser human and I will stop at nothing to make sure I have the right to say that is 'an opinion you can learn from'

And as someone who says that, I can see you have a mental deficiency.

It's that easy.
>>
>>52607321

But he does
>>
>>52597140
Jokes on you, I already ditched open source. And I won't ever update code I've previously written.
>>
>>52607398
Pretty sure he's the one pointing out the absurdity and thus his pic is there because it's his twitter, not the other way round.
>>
>>52607414

But he really does use Dragon dildos, look at that face.
>>
>>52607378
I am a motherfucking latino with african roots and all these people are doing is bitching about inconsequential crap no one in actually opressed and shitty places (like, say, Nicaragua, or Panama) give a fuck about. If your biggest problem is hearing the term slave, or having someone make a racist joke (by the way, who knows how copper wire was invented?) then you can fuck right back off to your room and cry into a pillow because I have nothing but scorn for you.
>>
>>52607438
>it's always worse somewhere else
>>
>>52607378
>minorities are taking up about what hurts them

Liberal white men crying about CoCs are not minorities.

They represent minorities? The funniest thing I've ever seen from the regressive left is how they treat minorities who disagree with them.
>>
>>52607378

>backwards

How dare you use this kind of marginalizing language. It befouls history and you should apologize. With our new Code of Conduct, non-progressive language is banned.
>>
>>52607454
I actually agree with you on this

a lot of the pandering is done by guilty white dudes that like to speak over and distort the words of real minorities who actually experience these problems

reminds me of that one snl skit...
>>
>>52607453

That's how handling difficult situations works. You realise it's worse somewhere else and your problems don't seem as bad. Of course the proponents of these CoCs compare their situations with fantasized "white men" that have nothing ever go wrong in their lives.
>>
>>52607195

Contributor's Covenant 1.4 when?
>>
>>52607480
>That's how handling difficult situations works
>instead of taking action I'm gonna sit around and thank the higher ups I'm not lower on the chain
>being this politically apathetic

>"white men" that have nothing ever go wrong in their lives
nothing goes wrong -because- they're white guys
>>
>>52607500

>the patriarchy
>the illuminati
>nothing wrong ever happens to white men
>being this deluded
>>
>>52607195
yep this is what I want in a CoC.
>>
>>52607500

The action that I'll take is continue to write good code. More productive than any of this CoC nonsense. I don't care for politics, it's a lose-lose situation for everybody involved.
>>
>like the simplicity of rails
>been using ruby for a few years
>SJWs ruin my language

Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 625x626
>>52607500
It's bait or reddi,meither way we are done here people.
>>
>>52607549
then just adopt the CoC and continue to write good code instead of throwing a hissy fit on 4chan?

>This whole fucking thread
>>
>>52607597

Or just write good code and not worry about CoC nonsense because I like to use sexualised language and imagery.
>>
>>52607260
>>52607195

Saved
>>
>>52607591

It's not bait, it's just a retard behind a keyboard.
>>
>>52607597
I don't see why nailing my feet to wooden planks andnthen just continue playing football is any more beneficial than not nailing mynfeet to planks, so nah, no CoC as currently written.
>>
>>52607619
>because I like to use sexualised language and imagery
????
your personal comfort (as depraved as it is) is now more important than adopting a CoC that would ensure safety and professionalism AND be less of a barrier for new workers?
If I were your manager I would have fired you
>>
>>52607597
>give me what I want and then go about your business

No
>>
>>52607660

>your personal comfort (as depraved as it is) is now more important than adopting a CoC that would ensure safety and professionalism AND be less of a barrier for new workers?

Lol I'm surprised this question didn't collapse from all this load.

>If I were your manager I would have fired you

If I was your potential manager I wouldn't hire you.
>>
>>52607660

>AND be less of a barrier for new workers?

A Code of Conduct is a barrier, new workers will need to learn it. No Code of Conduct is the lack of a barrier.
>>
>>52607660

No hint of irony here in regards to having a manager above you in a project that you own, none at all considering the ideological viewpoint of the poster. Just more projection from a leftist who believes he knows what's best for everyone else.
>>
>>52607660

OSS
projects
workers
managers
fired

Confused, you are
>>
>>52607660

This is the end-game. SJWs acquire positions of power and then systematically remove enemies of The Cause.
>>
>>52607757

>2 years later
>all high-up positions filled by SJWs
>all code development has stopped
>all contributions have become markdown documents outlining coversational policy
>>
>>52598031
great reading
>>
>>52607788
But enough about Mozilla.
>>
>>52607797

lol'd
>>
File: 1453266896806s.jpg (2 KB, 125x67) Image search: [Google]
1453266896806s.jpg
2 KB, 125x67
>>52597140
>implying Ruby is still relevant
>>
>>52607660
in my country if you fired me for something I did outside of a working space then you would be done for unfair dismissal.
>>
>>52607788
>the only remaining form of "programming" is entry-level front end web dev
>opening a hello world example from this era requires 32GB of RAM and 8 cores maxxed at 100%
>>
>>52607797
Bantz

>>52607981
>current developers literally tell you their bloat is ok because computers can handle it
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/42dxr7/coc_zealots_are_making_ruby_their_next_front/

BASED

FUCKING

REDDIT
>>
>>52597938
>>52597898
>Samefagging this hard

How many pesos do you get per post, rajeesh?
>>
>>52606803
>It's pants on head insane.
Exactly. And a huge distraction because some ultra-special people feel they have the right to complicate everyone's life.

>>52606839
>Basically meritocracy
Ooh, boy, you definitely need some sensitivity training.
>Marginalized people also suffer some of the unintended consequences of dogmatic insistence on meritocratic principles of governance. Studies have shown that organizational cultures that value meritocracy often result in greater inequality.
http://contributor-covenant.org/
>>
So, under that "CoC" employees will have to keep their political opinions to themselves ?
What's wrong with that ? I don't give a shit about what you support or not so I don't see why I have to read about it.
>>
>>52610232
No, its more that people can be hanged for their political or ideological views even when posted well outside of the scope of the project and potentially booted from the community/project because they maybe made unspecified individuals uncomfortable or unwelcome.
>>
>>52607473
>guilty white cucks guilt-tripped by females
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>52610268
You mean like how it happens in absolutely every business on this planet ?
Sounds like one more point for "keep your opinions to yourself and not facebook" too me.
>>
>>52597828
Womyn is a good word because womyn are not Women, but rather hideous mockeries of human beings that have severe first world mental disorders, like manchildren are not actually Men.

The world should not cater to the mentally incompetent and socially bizarre

if they feel uncomfortable it is because their presence is unwelcome for a good fucking reason. they're useless and harmful, incapable of making anything good.
>>
>>52610295
So everybody just needs to STFU and never say anything that might offend anyone?

What the fuck ever happened to free speech?
>>
>>52610335
>What the fuck ever happened to free speech?
You never had that in the first place.
>>
>>52610335
Unfettered free speech doesn't exist outside the USA. There's also sorts of protections for minorities and much stricter libel and slander protections than in the US, and also limitations on how untruthful the media can be. The US used to have these until they were abolished in the 80s
>>
>>52610548
>Unfettered free speech doesn't exist outside the USA
unfettered free speech doesn't exist inside the USA. You can't say that there's a fire in a building (unless there actually is) to cause a mass panic. You can't incite violence. There are all sorts of restrictions.
>>
>>52608459
The pissweak upvote count should inform you how uninteresting this topic is to the majority of programmers.

>>52610569
True, I'm just saying it was much more restricted in the past
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine
>>
>>52606734
because we are allergic to this shit
just as a sane person is triggered when people bring religion or whatever else bullshit where it does not belong
>>
https://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004#note-311
>We will only ever have harmony if we concentrate on the technical nature of a technical community.

based
>>
Related:
https://github.com/opal/opal/issues/941
Utter lunacy.
>>
read it all

this is INSANE
>>
>>52597140
>>52611165
Same person ignited the fire in both cases.
>>
Linked in the discussion:
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
(Why Hackers Must Eject the SJWs)
>>
>>52607195
I prefer the NCoC personally. Even that is a bit too verbose though so I've been trying to draft up my own for the projects I head:

>Don't be a dick
>1. Don't be a dick.
>2. If you feel like someone is being a dick, feel free to let project organizers/leads/other people know.
>2a. Try not to be a dick about it though.
>3. Those with power may do as they see fit to reprimand those who are being dicks.
3a. Try not to be a dick about it..

It's still very rough but I feel that it's a good start.
>>
File: 1424801112114.png (136 KB, 2000x2126) Image search: [Google]
1424801112114.png
136 KB, 2000x2126
>>52597140
Feels good knowing and using a language that will never have a CoC and never bend over for SJW's.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.