[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cct/ Career and Cert Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: Network+.png (69 KB, 2111x1166) Image search: [Google]
Network+.png
69 KB, 2111x1166
Let's talk about certifications and careers!

If you're actively studying or interested in learning more about certs, ask away. Learn how to use certs to get jobs

If you have a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>>
File: lisa_squint.jpg (20 KB, 640x412) Image search: [Google]
lisa_squint.jpg
20 KB, 640x412
A+ 802 tips pls
>>
>tier 2 helpdesk intern
>1
>working on information systems major
>uni internship coordinator
>a bit above min wage
>Mobile, AL
>>
Just got my CCNA today.

Not sure what to go into from here.
>>
>>52586608
>Job Title - Analyst
>Years of Experience - 3
>Degrees/Certs - AA General Education from CC. GIAC Reverse Engineering Malware, A+, Net+, Sec+, all of those shitty Microsoft office certs from 2007, 2010 including the expert levels. Then two more certifying being able to troubleshoot and manage Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 in an enterprise.
>How did you find/get job - internship from highschool
>Pay - 42k/y
>Location - FL

Certs are cool and all but it doesn't mean shit without experience. If you are someone with a ton of certs and looking to get a job in IT with no real prior experience I would assume you brain dumped all of em.
>>
>>52586818
Know your console, networking, and most importantly, common troubleshooting.
>>
>>52587111
Ideally you want to find an entry level Networking job with some Networking Engineers above you so they can teach you on the job.

If you currently don't have an IT job you can start off on a Tech help desk at a real company and in a year try to move up and out to Networking. Don't get stuck in the Help Desk.
>>
>>52587755
I work at this business solutions place, where we do a bit of everything. I mostly deal with firewall installations, low-level networking solutions, sometimes pulling cable (hate that). They also have me training on Oracle Micros PoS machines - E7, RES & 9700 and later Symphony.

My manager is pretty knowledgeable and a pretty good mentor but I don't particularly like the job. It's stressful in that you have to deal with a lot of clients and be on the ball with several different products and their associated installation/troubleshooting.

I guess I should stay here for a while and get experience but I'd much rather have a comfy sysadmin job or something for a small organization rather than managing a bunch of clients.
>>
>>52586608

IT DIrector / SysAdmin (windows)
B.S. in Industrial Technology
Filled out application
Iowa
>>
>>52587667
All those fucking certs and only 42 fucking k a year! You better go ask for a raise! I make 75% of that without any degree at all selling clothes!
>>
>>52588039
OP here, I've had the job since Late 2012 my senior year in Highschool. I had all but the GREM cert by end of 2013. I got the GREM recently after working on the job for 2 years.

They have taught me everything I know or atleast given me the free time to learn what I want. Every language I know is because of them. I am being transitioned into Project Management while keeping Programming/Analysis as my back up because they know I want to be management.

True careers aren't about money, its about the inspiration to grow yourself as a business someone would want to buy.
>>
>Job Title
Network Admin
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA R&S
Defensive Contractor website
>Pay
131k (101k tax-free)
>Location
Bagram, Afghanistan
>>
>Job Title
Technical Analyst / Jr. Sysadmin
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Starting AA on information systems
Working on completing MCSE
Resume/apply
>Pay
>Location
IN

Just lucked out, they're paying for certs.
>>
I would like to learn about computer networking.

What kind of books do you guys recommend?
>>
>>52586608
Currently cert-less but got an internship for this summer as a sec consultant at a good company, but want to be more capable on the job, should I skip A+ and go straight for Net+?
>>
>>52587755
is there such thing as a pt help desk? i cant find any in my city,
>>
>>52589311
>should I skip A+ and go straight for Net+?
i second this question
Would love an answer from someone with a job
>>
>>52589711
bumposaurus
>>
>>52589711
Bumptacular, quite a bit of money that could go to the CCNE ann Net+
>>
>>52589311
>>52589711
Depends on what you're wanting to do, but if you're not looking for help desk jobs then yes I would get Net+ and Sec+
>>
ccna
>>
are there any other regular threads for general IT/CS learning? I'm taking CS50X right now through in-person classes put on by LaunchCode.org and want to talk to fellow CS50X-taking fa/g/s
>>
>>52591185
You have the programming threads. I'm not sure which others would have it other than programming or randomly someone in this one.
>>
is the comptia linux+ cert worth getting?

i took a basic course and have the comptia book so i know much already. by itself will that cert get me a decent IT job.
>>
Ive built a handful of computers and Im studying for 801 802. should i try to get it done before june 30th or just go for 901 and 902... i already ordered a book for this.
>>
>>52591649
If you've studied for the 8-series go ahead and get it done... I wouldnt wait for a test with new material.
>>
Cybrary.it
>>
As someone who's used computers for most of their life (I know this doesn't make me qualify, but...) and is looking to change jobs and start working somewhere in the IT field, what would be your advice for a new comer? Sorry if this doesn't really suit thread purpose (discussing certs, etc.) But I could really use some guiders or just pointers to external sites at least. Thanks. Should mention UK also.
>>
About to take the network+ exam, what are good materials for this shit
>>
>>52592250
Just start working, apply for tech support jobs first, your resume should show everything you know.
>>
>>52592236
>>52592269
See
>>
>>52592250
what are you trying to do? network admin, sysadmin,...?

just apply for helpdesk jobs and work your way up by getting certs (let them pay for the exams)
>>
>>52592290
I like it but i would prefer book formats honestly is there any good reading material?
>>
>>52592465
A book with a picture of a lighthouse, I don't remember the name but it will be in the first search results.
>>
>>52592269
>>52592535
this one or
CompTIA Network+ All-In-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (Exam N10-006)
>>
>>52592583
Yes, this one.

You don't like videos?
>>
I see two kinds of threads like these

> Everyone says theyre making 70k-100k, probably lies

> Everyone makes around the 40k range, sounds realistic, heart sinks a litte
>>
>>52592269
professormesser.com
>>
Any good resources for learning linux system admin to a pro level? I'm moving on from *buntu systems and into centos currently.
>>
>Job Title
Business Analyst/Project Owner
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Nil
SME > Tester > Lead Tester...
>Pay
$90K base, 10 to 15% bonus
>Location
Sydney

Finishing off my under-grad (Econometrics) year-ending 2017, and then will do CCNET and CCNA across 2018.

Not sure what longer term goal is. Maybe move away from being embedded in the business to more consulting role? Any suggestions would help.
>>
is 31 too old to get an A+ cert?
>>
>>52591595
I'm getting one too. I don't see why they aren't great to get.
>>52596126
You're never too old!
>>
>>52588035
des moines?
>>
>Soft Dev
>Almost 1 professionally ,programming for 2 yrs now
>2nd year for comp sci
>company went to my uni
>hourly as i study daily, comes at about 3-4k a month which makes me a very rich student
>Slavshit country
>>
>Job Title
Telecoms/Network Engineer
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Extended Diploma in Technology
Apprenticeship Agency
>Pay
£150/week
>Location
England

One thing that's going to stand out is the amount which I am earning. It is obvious that it isn't much and I am trying to push for an increase in pay - I took on the job initially with that in mind, I just wanted to have something to work with first of all. So far I have done anything and everything that my employers have asked without any issues (General network diagnostics and setup an entire hosted telephony system for one of our clients)

I have given them a figure of what I am expecting, what would you say is realistic?
>>
>>52592716
Experienced IT guys make in that range.. Id say average is more like 60-80k though. Over 100k is a different story.
>>
UK fag looking for under £100 certs for a beginner
>>
>tfw having it now as im in my early 20s
>not seeigng any guys over 40 that are not in management positions
>what the fuck happens to 90% of programmers as they get older?

im afraid of my future, young shitters like me right now will be better at my job when i get older
>>
>>52599257
when I got my first junior function, I had no certifications just some basic computer and networking knowledge and I got €2000 /month with some extra benefits like a company car with fuel card
>>
>>52600171
im ugly as fuck and got laid to a qt because she was really drunk and horny
>>
>>52600296
good for you!

2K /month before taxes
>>
File: 91zsN%2BY72uL._SL1500_.jpg (281 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
91zsN%2BY72uL._SL1500_.jpg
281 KB, 1000x1500
I want to get the new version of the LPIC-1, but it's been hard to get some good material and questions, I got the VCE for 101-400 but there's only 85 questions and I've read mixed opinions on the validity of these questions.

I really wish O'Reilley would go release newer IN A NUTSHELL books. They are GOAT.
>>
>Field support technician
>less than one year
>CCENT, formerly A+ and CCENT
>Contracting agency saw my linkedin and called me
>15.70/hour. Should be getting a raise soon though
>Richmond, VA
Feel free to ask questions. No, I won't name my company.
>>
File: Counter-Productive?.png (40 KB, 772x495) Image search: [Google]
Counter-Productive?.png
40 KB, 772x495
Should I be less afraid to share more information with potential employers?

What are the best kind of answer to give, if I can honestly enough give them?
>>
>>52589311
>>52589711
CompTIA certs don't mean shit,but if you're going to get one, get sec+
>>
>>52602662
What IT-related jobs did you have previously that they decided to contact you?
>>
>>52602772
I worked for a company that upgrades and resells computers. Before that I worked for Kroger. So not much.

The job was very entry-level XP>Win7 migration. Moved off of that project to another migration project, then moved off of that project to field support.
>>
File: pepe afraid.jpg (20 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
pepe afraid.jpg
20 KB, 249x249
>>52587755

>If you currently don't have an IT job you can start off on a Tech help desk at a real company and in a year try to move up and out to Networking. Don't get stuck in the Help Desk.
>Don't get stuck in the Help Desk.
my heart stopped for a second reading this last sentence. I've been at this job for six months, I have no certs, in six months I can apply for jobs internally. I don't want to get stuck in help desk, I really don't.
>>
>>52592297
not him but trying for sysadmin, redhat cert possibly.
>>
>>52604186
>implying your helpdesk isn't going to be outsourced in less than six months
>>
>>52586608
>>52587111
What does /g/ think of working in the field of network architecture?

> AusFag
> Starting uni next year (CS)
> Considering expanding my certifications though CISCO afterwards

Ideally I'd like to do mechanical engineering but most of that work is in the R&D feild which is practically nonexistent here, I'd have to move to the US or Germany.
>>
>>52605255
BTW, My CS major's would be Networking and Security as the two go hand in hand
>>
>>52588412
10/10
>>
>>52588412
Well put OP
>>
File: 1382390074473.png (133 KB, 511x511) Image search: [Google]
1382390074473.png
133 KB, 511x511
This semester at a CC I am taking a Net+, A+, Sec+ and an intro programming course. Am I fucked or no?
>>
File: kesselkillme.png (523 KB, 765x693) Image search: [Google]
kesselkillme.png
523 KB, 765x693
currently studying for the VCP6-DCV, pain in the ass as I don't use half the feature sets at work (other products take their place) but anyway

>Job Title
Virtualization Architect
>Years of Experience
enterprise level, like 5. IT in general, around 10
>Degrees/Certs
buncha niche stuff in storage and virtualization, some part of an MCSA (never finished)
moved up from desktop tech
>Pay
enough, but not enough
>Location
can't say, but in the USA
>>
File: cool video card ahmed.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
cool video card ahmed.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>52586608
>college student (freshman)
>worked junior and senior year at a gym
>HS diploma, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security, DoD 8570.01-M compliant
>im trying to get a job with the university tech help desk
>$15 an hour with like 5-15 hours a week (thats perfect for me)
>USA

im currently applying into the engineering program at my college but i want to put my tech certs to use so i can get some real world experience. how can i achieve this?
>>
>>52587667
how the fuck do you only get paid 42k a year? dude go talk to your supervisor right now
>>
>Job Title
Info Systems Analyst
>years of experience
relevant work: 8, but technically my dad started me on computers back when I was 5 in 94.
>Degrees / Certs
A+ is all I have for now but I'm working on my AS in computer networking
>How did you find / get the job
I applied for the job like every other
>Pay
55K (it's hourly so I get OT when I want basically)
>location
no
>>
>>52588412
>True careers aren't about money, its about the inspiration to grow yourself as a business someone would want to buy.

never thought of it this way.
>>
>>52589169
>131k
is it worth it being in that shithole?
>>
>>52589169

I was a radio / computer tech in the Marines with a secret level clearance. what are my odds of getting hired as a dod contractor even though I've out of service for a few years?
>>
File: nice college bitch.jpg (510 KB, 1991x3061) Image search: [Google]
nice college bitch.jpg
510 KB, 1991x3061
>>52602673
If you're a spic or a sand-nigger you'll be wanting to tell them that. If you're just a regular nigger, you'll be wanting to keep that to yourself, because even the tech community has little tolerance for niggers.
>>
>>52586608
how hard is it to study for and take the A+ alone without going to CC? i want to get certified but dont have the money right now.
>>
>>52602662
Holy shit relevant location, So I'll be moving soon and I'll be at most 1 hour away from Richmond and Charlottesville at the new location. Got any advice for me other than to make an indeed resumé and fix up my Linkedin? (The unfortunate part is that I was in the golden area of Ashburn for IT opportunities.) - Just anything that'll make me valuable in some way, I've no clue since Certs seem to be the give away.

I've been doing Linux stuff since Freshman year high school (if that matters,) I'm working on my Net+, Sec+, and CCNE, and attending online NOVA since my move will be within this time frame. (I've heard learning SQL will make me stand out?)

Cheers m8
>>
File: stu pickles mfw.jpg (15 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
stu pickles mfw.jpg
15 KB, 512x512
>>52605168

healthcare IT motherfucker, pajeet can't do my job
>>
>>52607006
Where? Mobile Infirmary?
>>
>>52606995
Also I've been freelancing for the longest time, but I've no proof/receipts to show for it.
>>
>>52607034

its a hospital system, HIPPA compliences and all of the other healthcare bullshit preventing pajeet or carlos from taking my job. I worked in a previous help desk job where most of the help desk was in Costa Rica, literally the only reason my previous job help desk was in the U.S was because of the healthcare employees and high importance employees calling in.
>>
>Job title
Wireless technician for a wireless ISP

>Experience
Only have had the job a few months. Worked in other IT type jobs and internships for a few years as well.

>Degrees
My minor is in computer information systems.

>Find /get job
Lived in a rural place so looked for ISP's that cover the area. Asked if they were looking for techs and hounded them until they finally chose me.

>Pay
Roughly 2,000-3,000 a month. It's a small company so the pay isn't great. But gave me a new car for free with some other benefits like training in fiber optics and what not. Can't complain.

>Location
Rural West coast.
>>
I'm looking into getting my MCSA 70-346 and 70-347 but I have no confidence in my understanding of the subject...
>>
Whats a good book to study for security+?
>>
Should I put my CCNP Route and Switch cert (no TSHOOT) on my resume if I have zero job experience?

My friends told me most employers will assume anyone with the CCNP and no experience just dumped
>>
>>52606415
With the tax break its equivalent to making 170k. It isn't an ideal situation to be sure, but being able to save $10k a month will puts me way ahead. I've done this for over two years now and have almost 300k in cash.

However, I'm not even paid that great compared to other contractors out here. I'm trying to score a bigger paying contract..some make ~250k out here.

So, is it worth it? It depends on your goals.. I'm not allowed to be in the U.S for 334 days a year to keep my tax break and you're stuck out on a base doing nothing but working or working out.

I'll do this a few more years and semi-retire hopefully.
>>
>>52606436
Do you still have your clearance?
>>
>>52606436
Secret last for 10 years i believe, before needing to renew. DoD contractors are going to want degrees+TS, and for good reason.. The Corps gets the shaft on IT jobs too so you'll have to bring more to the table just for not being AF/Navy.
>>
N+ 10-006.
Currently 1/3rd through the All-in-One CompTIA Network+ by Mike Meyers.
>>
>>52608601
how much do you spend just to stay alive and sane there? (food, cloth, utilities, housing, fun) etc?
>>
>>52587720
If I go in an pass my N+ first try, whats the chances I can do the same with A+ with little to no studying? Also, is it worth getting an A+ if you have an N+?
>>
>>52609281
You want basic networking for a+, and basic hardware for n+, but they are still two different certs. Easy certs, yes, but different.
>>
>>52609323
Alright, I got basics down for hardware, and I'm fairly knowledgeable on networking, but I guess its worth reading through the whole damn book *sigh*. There are just so many other books I'd rather be reading. Story of my life, excuse the pun.
>>
>>52609353
If youre really confident, use flash cards to see where you need improvement for N+, if you just have basics for hardware, dont try to wing a+. Its not hard but theres a lot of troubleshooting and shit like that.
>>
>>52609412
I primarily got computer hardware down, not any peripherals or shit like that. I just know how to use them and make them work, maybe tinker with em a bit, but yeah, CompTIA loves throwing keywords at you.
>>
>>52609030
This is all wrong. I'm the DoD contractor. Secret clearance last 2 years if you're not actively in a position using it. Same with if you have a TS clearance it will only last 2 years if you're in a position requiring it..so if you take a job that only requires Security then you'll drop down within 24 months if you're not using it.

I applied to the DoD without a degree. Yes, there are jobs that require degrees but there are quite a few that don't as well. All you need is a Sec+ and a CE cert such as Windows 7 from MS. Entry-level jobs here pay 80-100k

>>52609242
Nothing really other than internet. Housing and food is free. I may pay for clothes occasionally as well. I generally don't spend more than $400 a month there. Internet is $160 month for 2mb internet.
>>
File: 20130429_152942.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20130429_152942.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>52610444
Where do you work as a network admin? I was at Bagram in 2013, with 455 ECS (air force), doing networking as an enlisted. Our shop contractor was making 250k a year, was there for 4 years. Left a week before us, was pretty jelly of him. All the contractors that had been there a few years seemed a bit off to us tho, like they seemed a bit fucked up, idk. Made me change my mind about getting out and going back out there, though a couple of the guys from my shop ended up going back as a contractor after separating. I decided to use my GI Bill instead, applying to grad programs this week. Hopefully it's worth it in the long run.

Pic related, smoke from when the plane went down the first week I was there. Look that shit up on youtube if you haven't seen it, was loud af.
>>
>>52610608
Oh shit! That was not very long before I arrived here. I'm with Exelis.

Who was your shop guy with? I'm trying to move into that higher pay bracket with this next contract.

Yeah, it's not the best life. I kinda understand what you say when contractors seem off, but I guess we all have to be a little fucked to want to be out there that whole time.

Grad school is a great thing man, goodluck with it.. worst case scenario you can always come on out here and make a good living.
>>
>>52610444
Thanks for clarifying, second hand info. Young net admin wandering towards your end of the woods.
>>
>>52592591
I learn better through books and get tired of material on my phone quickly so something physical would be good
>>
>>52605255
Computer Science is a waste of fucking time, go straight to CISCO
>>
>>52611840
No problem, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

All said, yes it's not ideal.. but if you're young and have nothing tying you down doing some overseas contracting can put you very far ahead financially. A good 2-3 years of this and you can come home and pay for your house in cash, come home with a security clearance that'll net you a 70k a year job sitting on your ass in some government building. 70k goes a long way with no mortgage, young guns.
>>
>>52611130
He was with Lockheed while I was there. You can look at his LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaron-greene-msia-cissp-issap-pmp-1ba47b12

Dude was a fuckin baller with all those certs and degrees, knew more about networking than anyone I've ever met. He's pretty much the reason why I bothered to get my CCNA while I was over there in the first place.
>>
>>52612149
Oh shit, nice. Thanks bud! He's definitely got some broad experiences and worked with some top tier contractors.

I need to up my fucking game. I'm afraid that the contracting at Bagram will soon be coming to an end. I guess I'll be headed to Kuwait next time just sucks since they don't get the uplift like Afghan does.
>>
>>52610444
Cool thanks for the info. Work is good now but it never hurt to make double even if it is overseas.
>>
Is Network+ worth it? Getting it wouldn't be a problem it's the cost. 285 USD is 450+ Canadian. Seems pricey for something that wouldn't help too much.
>>
>>52614543
What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish?

These certs are meaningless unless you have goals that go along with them..
>>
>>52615266
Well I'm relatively new to my career. I graduated just under 2 years ago and have been working ever since. I'm currently a junior network admin but my responsibilities are not what I would like. My thoughts on this cert are basically to break the HR barrier. I would love to get into another junior admin or some sort of system support role that handles tier 1 and 2 support.
>>
CCNA > CompTIA / A+
>>
>>52615389
If you're wanting to continue on network admin and have no plans to do Govt work then get the CCNA, otherwise it sucks spending the cash on the cert but go ahead and do the Net+
>>
>>52616685
That's funny because I currently work for the govt.
>>
I'm doing community college CS.

Intro to tech, java programming, etc.

What should I do to ensure I'm top autist in the class?
>>
File: 1453648635727.jpg (230 KB, 1014x1014) Image search: [Google]
1453648635727.jpg
230 KB, 1014x1014
I got my A+ and applied to 50 jobs
not 1 call back/email back
save your money lads
>>
>>52616745
just show the fuck up and do every assignment.
That way you dont have to study or stress over school. Did this and got a 4.0. CC is ez
>>
>>52616760
Well what else do you have? An A+ alone obviously won't get you shit. If you have a degree/associates with some experience amd an A+ it shouldn't be that hard.
>>
>>52615808
I've recently been interviewing for networking jobs and employers are actually saying the opposite - they get a lot of people who have advanced certs/degrees but don't know shit about the basics. Employers do appreciate A+ and Network+, though an associates can be an equivalent.
>>
>>52616855
Whoops, an associates =/= A+ but can equal a Network+ so long as you have other qualifications.
>>
I meet the needed qualifications and I've been going to interviews but no callbacks. I have a feeling that my personality is ruining it for me, like I'm a person people might not find comfortable to deal with and maybe I act too serious. I wish I could be more "fun" and make random funny remarks but I'm too awkward for that.
>>
I've read my N+ material this month but didn't retain much knowledge. My exam is scheduled for the next month, can i do it? Absolutely no experience in IT and just got my A+.
>>
>>52602662
>>52606995

Holy shit you guys are close to me.
>>
>>52617373
A lot of people are in the same boat. It's really difficult to be yourself during an interview. It's even harder the more you want a specific position. You have to kind of not get too excited.
>>
>>52617529
I agree with this anon. There's a certain expectation of conformity with interviews. With IT you can be a bit more flexible though. If you're trying to be fun, scope out their interests first and play on that. Ex: Whenever they ask about hobbies, I always mention reading and ask if they have read anything good recently.
>>
I have a Security+ and I'll likely get a Network+ later this year. I'll have an Associates degree in networking, and I'll have a bachelors in 2018. How much will the two certs and degree help me get an internship while I'm at a four year college?
>>
I have net+ and a security clearance which has opened up a bunch of jobs for me anywhere from $25 - 35 an hour as federal contractor. If you have a security clearance get at least sec+ have got multiple calls asking when I will have that cert offering 50+ and hour. All federal jobs require sec+ so if you are military IT and getting out soon, get your sec+ before anything else.
>>
Cisco ccna v/s comptia?
>>
>>52612027
>Computer Science is a waste of fucking time, go straight to CISCO
literally every guidance counselor and adult over 35 told me the exact opposite..... what do
>>
>>52618978
Man just figure out what you like to do and focus on it. If you ever got a CCIE that would blow any degree out of the water. I would argue a CCNP is equal or better than a degree. CCNA by itself isn't though.
>>
Anyone have any experience with the VMWare VCP6-DCV certification? I have some VMWare experience and wondering if the exam is worth it?
>>
>>52618978

CS and Cisco are different things

If you go into Cisco and you want to get a management you need a degree. It doesn't matter what the degree is in
>>
Has anybody gotten a security degree here? Curious what some people's career paths were
>>
>>52621950
Every security person I know says to major in IS and specialize in security.
>>
>>52622281
The degree is Info Assurance and Security, under the IS major - so that's reassuring. Do you know what positions they got into on graduation? I feel like so much of what we've been learning is more security methods (Public key, hashing, etc) but can't see how much of this connects to an actual occupation
>>
I just passed my 801 a few days ago and im planning on taking the 802 on feb 21st after im looking at taking the Net+. Anyone know of the net+ is a meme cert?
>>
>>52622585
There both meme certs
I got my A+ a month ago and LMAO NO JOB
>>
>>52588035
What kinda tiny setup are you working where the IT Director is a SysAdmin?

Up and out man, up and out.
>>
>>52592280
>>52592297
This, but at the same time, don't just restrict yourself to the operational support side of things. There is a variety different routes you can take. Business Analysis and testing roles can be a good in to the development side of things, without needing a huge amount of technical experience.
>>
>>52594225
Why the bloody hell would you study certs as a BA/PO. Going from your terminology you're working in a dev/integration environment, so I'd say that consulting would be the next best step. Not just biased because consultant. Consulting is based, I could never stay in one place doing the same thing for a long time.

Interestingly, I had a similarly progression so far to yours:
Tester
Test Lead
Automation Engineer
Now I do Performance Engineering for data transport systems in IB backend systems. That's the kind of stuff you don't get to do anywhere other than consulting. Worth a go if you want to try new things, incredibly long hours and intense demand though.
>>
>>52605255
If you can progress to system or enterprise level architecture, then yes. But only if you want to go corporate. If that's the case, you'd want to go for ITIL and TOGAF in terms of certifications. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to do anything else at all.

Where do you live at the minute.
>>
>>52616745
Just learn in your free time, explore concepts you come across in detail, and enjoy programming. Also don't listen to anything anyone on /g/ says. Including this.
>>
>>52587667
Lol wtf

No school
No certs
Tier 1 Tech Support Analyst
<1 year exp
42k year
Maryland
>>
>>52616734
Haha really? Well as you move into federal jobs they are big on CompTia certs. Sec+ is real big along with Net+ for many federal Network Admin jobs
>>
>Job Title
Director, IT
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
none
corporate recruiter. like usual
>Pay
>Location
SF, CA
>>
>>52623438
>director of IT
>on 4chan
What the fuck
>>
>>52623533
its boring work
>>
>>52623438
Career progression? Tech Consultant, looking to take the CIO route in the long run.
>>
>>52624055
-fixing computers to fund car fixing
-consulting sysadmin
-Solutions architect
-Sr consulting sysadmin
-Global manager, IT
-Technical consultant
-Director, IT

make butt buddies with a business dude as much as you might hate them. they will teach you the crap you will need to regurgitate to make CIO happen. probably want a degree for that path. I've just been in the right place at the right time. I'm a very stupid person.
>>
>Job Title
Director, Analytics
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
BS, MS
getting shit done
>Pay
/g/ wouldn't believe me
>Location
edgyasfucksville,WA

>>52623533
Shouldn't be surprising, met a lot of amazing but emotionally dead workers myself being one of them. wouldn't be surprised if they spent their free time browsing /g/
>>
Do I need a bachelors in business information systems to get a job? or just certs?
>>
>>52604186
than get certs
>>
>>52624315
What job you retard?
>>
>>52624750
Sys Admin / Network Admin
>>
>>52624770
Depends. I'm doing info systems right now. If you have connections you can just do certs. If you don't you need a degree to get your foot in the door.

If you can afford college I would go for it.
>>
File: 1453745797079.jpg (110 KB, 584x844) Image search: [Google]
1453745797079.jpg
110 KB, 584x844
>>52586608
>Job Title
network security engineer
>Years of Experience
1, plus 6 months if internship counts (it doesnt)
>Degrees/Certs
associates from community college
class/internship was offered at the com.college, local prof. services company holds interviews every 6 months to grab people w/o degrees for cheap labor.
>maybe 10 people took the class after finishing a year of cisco/networking
>5 or 6 showed up for a PAID internship interview
>me(literally cleaning toilets for a living), unfortunate looking girl(served popcorn at a movie theatre), and a guy who took a bicycle everywhere, even tho he's from suburbs (jewel cashier) got the positions
>company is less than 30 people
>interview is 20 seconds of me reciting what i've googled about them the night before and co-owner talking up the company for maybe 5
>then a technical interview with other co-owner and main sales guy
>bluff through most of it, completely guessed all unix questions, got most of it right or talked in circles
>sales guy likes my jib, tells me to expect an email next morning
>6 months of minimum wage internship learning to install/troubleshoot the product (web sec), couple weeks of classes, the rest is sitting at home watching other people work
>been full time employed for a year now, still don't know shit about networking, linux, or security
>troubleshooting is sql, permission issues and dealing with the braindead
>work from home, usually wake up minutes before meetings
>Pay
just got a raise, 30ish to 40ish, 5k extra for willing to do on-site gigs (travel)
>Location
midwest
>>
Currently cramming for the 901 test I'm taking on 2/1 with the Prof Messer videos and the Mike Meyers A+ book. I am pretty knowledgeable as I am working as a forum rep making a good amount of cash for a well known PC games company.

Is there enough time, /g/? Am I fucked?
>>
>Job Title
Sr Technical Lead
>Years of Experience
4 professional, 3-4 hobby/self learning
>Degrees/Certs
None
Luck
>Pay
85k, but would get more if I asked
>Location
Northwest America
>>
>>52624877
What state? How is the cost of living?
>>
>>52618384
ccna no questions asked.

i have all 3 comptia core certs. theyve done me shit all good.
>>
>>52624848
oh shit forgot to add what happened to the girl and bicycle guy

>bicycle guy drops out halfway through, just dissapears, he was actually good at ios and nix
>girl goes through the whole internship and doesn't fucking show up for her first meeting with a client, guess whether or not she got a second chance

it's a shame tho, the only women are project coordinators
>>
File: itsalwayssunny8-04.jpg (25 KB, 322x181) Image search: [Google]
itsalwayssunny8-04.jpg
25 KB, 322x181
>>52588412
>True careers aren't about money, its about the inspiration to grow yourself as a business someone would want to buy.

This is America: you're either a duper or a dupee.
I'm a duper.
You guys are the dupees.
>>
>>52616869
I've got an associates in Computer Information Systems, is it worth it going for A+ and N+?
>>
>>52606791
>If you're a spic or a sand-nigger you'll be wanting to tell them that. If you're just a regular nigger, you'll be wanting to keep that to yourself, because even the tech community has little tolerance for niggers.
Is that right?
>>
>>52606791
yeah 80% of my clients are middle aged whities, 15% hispanic/indian, the rest 5 are women and black dudes
>>
>>52625186
>yeah 80% of my clients are middle aged whities, 15% hispanic/indian, the rest 5 are women and black dudes
Wow. I was just talking out of my ass. Thanks for vindicating my ass.
>>
>>52625210
we had one black dude, he kept ignoring lync im's
>>
>>52625228
>we had one black dude, he kept ignoring lync im's
Tell us more. Give us a day in your life at this business.
>>
What do you guys wear to interviews?
>>
>>52625401
A good interview helmet always helps.
>>
>>52625441
will this shield my autism?
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Speedglas-Welding-Auto-Darkening-07-0012-31BL/dp/B003TM0SDU/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453777034&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=good+interview+helmet
>>
>>52625268
got replaced by a suburban mom

prof. services, we deploy big It security company products, you get assigned a client (all sizes, from 50 to over 10k employees), you deploy the product over a week or so (remotely, it's 99% software), make sure everything works, client is happy, move on to the next.

my day is
>wake up 5-10 minutes before the call if im lazy
>if its the first day with a client, be nice and talk about the weather, answer w/e questions sales missed
>if something isn't working apologize a lot while you google sql/gpo/linux errors and pray there's a forum post with a solution
>if a client is from a different coast, you start early, but end early
>at the end you make sure client understands what the fuck they just deployed on their network
>if you're lucky you're working with the network guy who doesn't have to ask 10 people to change a line on a switch, so you can do weeks worth of work in like 2 days, then you kinda chill in your room waiting to fill in if someone needs on the spot troubleshooting

no sick days tho, im running a fever rn, gonna go chug syrup

good luck, talk less, smile more

>>52625401
don't over do it, ironed oxford shirt, pants (not dress and not jeans and NOT fucking shiny khakis), go somewhere where the sales lady will make sure you look presentable. don't wear a fucking tuxedo to a just above minimum wage job, shave and dont wear the fedora
>>
>>52625536
>got replaced by a suburban mom
You, or the black guy?
>>
>>52625536
oh and fucking google for 2 minutes before bothering someone
>>
>>52625536
>not dress and not jeans and NOT fucking shiny khakis
There are other kinds of pants?
>>
File: KAWAIIIII kimono girl.png (155 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
KAWAIIIII kimono girl.png
155 KB, 500x500
>>52625536
>>52625561
>Using Jewgle
Why don't you use YaCy?
>>
>>52625558
the black guy, i make sure to turn up my speakers if im fucking around away from my desk so i hear Skype for Business pings

no, the ios/android version isn't functional just like pretty much everything mobile ms
>>
>>52625586
bc im not a pedo
>>
Can't currently afford to get certs (IIRC they cost £100+) but I can afford books to teach me certs so I'm prepared my question is what are the best certs if you're looking to learn?
>>
File: jun togawa.jpg (35 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
jun togawa.jpg
35 KB, 600x374
>>52625611
Saying only pedos care about privacy because normal people have nothing to hide is like saying only Nazi's care about freedom of speech because normal people don't express unpopular opinions.
>>
>>52625649
well what do you want to do in life
>>
>>52625674
repetitive simple job repairing PCs or tech support
>>
File: looks vaguely lesbo.jpg (490 KB, 1363x2048) Image search: [Google]
looks vaguely lesbo.jpg
490 KB, 1363x2048
>>52625674
Fuck bitches and get money.
>>
File: 1421709369730.jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1421709369730.jpg
22 KB, 533x477
>mfw I'm about to get hired full time making 33k a year and I'm only a 19 year old junior in college
>>
>>52625739
>>mfw I'm about to get hired full time making 33k a year and I'm only a 19 year old junior in college
How did you manage that?
>>
>>52625687
nobody repairs pc's anymore, buy whatever knockoff parts you can find on fleabay/taobao for iphones/whatever android phone is popular this week. im talking screens, speakers, headphone jacks, camera shit. spam ads on craigslist, fuck, if you live in an urban area print out flyers with a joke or a goatse on them to grab attention, look up what other 100 dudes in your area are charging for it, type up an easier to read ad/maybe not use stock photos, undercut the price a little, make sure you make at least minimum wage

for tech support apply at whatever call centers are around you, watch a+ cert videos
>>
>>52625754
33k is just above flipping burgers, i think fast food managers make 35k
>>
>>52625784
thanks anon
>>
File: 1390673832673.jpg (31 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1390673832673.jpg
31 KB, 250x251
>thinks making 16 an hour at age 19 is impressive
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(54).jpg (12 KB, 406x422) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(54).jpg
12 KB, 406x422
>>52625754
I dual enrolled in HS and then went to CC for a year where I also landed a internship. I had about 60 credit hours just from that and then transferred to a 4 year majoring in information systems. I then applied for a shit ton of internships using the letter of recommendation from my last internship to get me one. I eventually landed a internship at a large hospital working "tier 2 helpdesk" which means basically they call us after the tier one helpdesk can't fix it. Now I'm about to get hired full time because they think I do a good job.

>mfw will have a degree + 3 years experience + a few certs before I even graduate
>>
>>52625784
also may be a stupid question but are the tests done online or do I go to a location near me type of thing?
>>
Why would you hit a 10.x.x.x address when running a traceroute? Volunteering at a senior center and when you run a traceroute it'll hit that address first then the usual DNS servers from cox.
>>
>>52625802
33k a year is not flipping burgers. That's 16 an hour. that's good as hell if he's in uni
>>
>>52612074
I'm pretty low on the totem pole as is. No mil background or 4 year. How do i set a foundation for access to overseas contracts?
>>
File: DamnItFeelsGNUToBeAGangsta.png (434 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
DamnItFeelsGNUToBeAGangsta.png
434 KB, 1360x768
>>52625841
>also may be a stupid question but are the tests done online or do I go to a location near me type of thing?
You don't get to bring quizlet
>>
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 176x184) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 176x184
>>52599257
>£150/week

oh shit nigga what are you doing?
>>
>>52625823
I live in bumfuck Alabama. It goes a long way here desu.
>>
>>52625872
Theyre almost always done at a location unless it's a shit tier cert like vmware associate, usually a local college.
>>
>>52625784
how do i get into a phone/tablet repair place?
>>
File: kermit nervous.jpg (195 KB, 600x568) Image search: [Google]
kermit nervous.jpg
195 KB, 600x568
>clean official background check
>first few results when you google my name are newspaper articles about being arrested for felony narcotics and paraphernalia possession
>>
>>52625931
>guy with a girls name
>girl sharing my name had a huge lawsuit thing
>it took me 22 pages on google until I found anything to do with me
>I've since deleted my facebook
>I'm now probably not even on google
>>
>>52625985
It was actually me, I just got it expunged. At least I'm learning some rep management techniques while I try to clean the results up.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(10).jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(10).jpg
32 KB, 480x454
>>52625985
>>52625931
>mfw I'm on news websites because of sports

Why did I used to be a normie?
>>
>>52626013
Lexplorer?
>>
>>52625841
gonna say it again, google for 2 minutes before you actually ask someone, its a good habit to have, even on anime forums
i think some of the easiest ones you do online, bc everyone braindumps anyway, for ccie they lock you up in a server room for 8 hours without a smoke break
>>52625929
try doing it on your own, if it doesnt work out to make you minimum wage go work labor/retail to buy food

labor pays more than whatever youre gonna land without 4 year and makes you wise

>>52625931
lmao same, no ones gonna stalk you on google, unless youre a chick, dont worry bout it
>>
>>52626006
at least you're making a positive out of a negative
>>52626013
they all know anon, you will never have privacy, they will always see you as you are in the photos
>>
>>52626035
I'm pretty grateful they didn't mention specifically what the paraphernalia was, because it was a crack pipe.
>>
>>52626035
where do i start out fixing phones and stuff?
>>
>>52626020
what?
>>
>>52626097
taobao knockoff parts, i dont even know if thats a thing, if its not, it should be
>>
>>52625847
Your running it from your computer. The first interface you're going to hit is your local gateway which is inside your private network.
>>
>>52626117
>>52626097
i thought about it and it's probably not a thing with the patents and all

do what normal people do, go to a community college, enroll in whatever you think you like and dont flip flop your "focus" because you're not in university banging chicks. i lost all interest in technology after working IT, after a while you associate anything that has a screen/cmd prompt with headaches and tedious work. i have an iphone because i couldnt be bothered to install a faster rom on my nexus whatever number to make it usable, instead, i picked up metalworking, its way fucking cooler than banging lolis in vr
>>
>>52587667
jesus man go fucking find a military base and start making way more money working for the el govermente
>>
>>52626302
basically if youre not smart youre gonna be doing manual labor, whether it be mowing grass or doing tier 1 support
>>
File: image.png (385 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
385 KB, 640x1136
>>52588035
Somethings not right here
>>
>>52626302
i want to repair shit in the back and away from the general public
>>
>>52588412
>true careers aren't about money

How the fuck does anyone think like this? Your boss and his boss and eventually the guy who owns the company all work on a financial premise. Every investment they make in you is directly tied to an expected financial outcome (e.g. increased productivity, greater breadth of services, higher billing, etc.) and you're stuck thinking a job is really a family like you're 17 working with your buddies. Grow up or you will eventually get fucked. IT is *the* industry known for a "raise" almost always being a job transition or a counter offer from a current employer. Either you want to advocate for yourself or you want to get cucked by people who have realized pretending to care about you is worth tens of thousands of dollars a year in compensation. Who is getting the better part of that deal?
>>
>>52626465
build racecars my man, nobody repairs pc's anymore, have you looked at laptops and phones lately? they're fucking glued together, they dont want mom and pop replacing parts, you break your phone, you go to the apple store, pay money, 5 minutes later you walk out with a completely different phone with all of your data transfered, your phone goes to a refurb factory somewhere across the ocean and gets sold on ebay by someone who buys a pallet of refurbed iphones from an auction

unless you can find a niche, good luck
>>
>>52626573
work for the el govermente...cushy as shit, good experience and Marines dont know shit about technology. And the pay is competitive and fuck, ESPECIALLY after I stumbled across this thread and saw everyone in IT is making bread crumbs and chicken scraps.
>>
>>52622811
I work with document management and payment processing systems, so I'd like to have a few certs behind me to be able to justify working on automation stuff (like you, funnily enough). I'm getting a few questions on hardware requirements, pricing etc so I figure CCNA is about the appropriate level of certification that would make it easier a sell (even though I know enough about building file servers etc from personal use).
>>
>>52624233

I'm guessing your salary is well over $100,000K. Average MS Analytics graduates seem to get $100,000 starting pretty consistently from okay programs. I've noticed it's very math heavy. Most of the NEET people on here wouldn't be able to pass those courses even though they can troubleshoot.

What is the deal with these analytics programs anyways? How the fuck do they churn out such high placement rates and starting salaries? I really don't get it. I've thought about getting into some sort of data science myself, but I really don't like the math that much.
>>
>>52626660
bribes or "connections"
>>
>>52626692

I just don't get how that would work. I looked at one MSA program and it was graduating like 60 people. It's outcomes stated a 99% placement rate with around a 100K median salary for individuals with NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE. Like how the fuck does that happen? That's absolutely nuts for me, even if the program costs 40K you're making 100K a year right out of a 2 year program. I guess it's a masters so it's not that crazy, but I find it pretty nuts.
>>
>>52626768
maybe its simply THAT much in demand, employers know nerds like fucking around with PCI's and having sweet gaming rigs, so the supply is higher than whatever program you're talking about.
>>
>>52626821

If you look at salaries as far as masters degrees you basically have multiple types of statistics, engineering, and computer science. As far as I can tell these analytics degrees are a sort of mix of all of them that are specifically made to churn out industry jobs. It's just a pain in the ass because even after reading about the programs it's hard to figure out what these people are actually doing in "Analyst" roles.
>>
>>52622884
I currently live in Melbourne Australia (reasonable close to the city)
>>
Would I really be better off giving up my information on social media, etc. to expose myself to recruiters?

Or should I just tie the noose?
>>
>>52627573
You're only hurting yourself if you're not on Linkedin.
>>
>>52626878
I'm a business analyst (non-technical). i basically get the right people in the right rooms to facilitate projects, and own processes to make sure it's completed properly and delivered on time. I dunno if that helps at all.
>>
>>52586608
>QA Analyst
>1 year 7 months
> computer info systems BSBA
>first job applied to and got it, was in local area 23 miles from college
> $37K starting + $7500 in benefits , after a year 41K + 6500 in benefits.

>rural western NC. I make more than the average household in my county. And as a single male I live pretty well.
>>
Has anybody started out working from home?

I'm talking some sort of tier 1 support. Specifically I'm looking at Support.com.

Is that a viable way to start your career if non-telecommuting jobs are scarce?

I have an MTA (yeah I know) and A+, currently studying for my Net+, after that Sec+ and CCNA, no degrees.
>>
>>52586608
>sysadmin
>1 year
>undergrad in history; graduate degree liberal arts; RHCSA and RHCE certified
>applied; craigslist
>$50k/year start; current salary $70k/year
>oregon
>>
>>52601987
why in the fuck are you dealing with that shit.

get certified via red hat. (RHCSA and RHCE)
>>
Any NOC Techs here?
>>
>>52628500
what does noc techs do?
>>
>>52607185
No way dude I worked at a WISP. It was pretty dope climbing on top of water towers and stuff installing radios and satellites. Pay wasn't great though and it wasn't giving me any programming experience so I left.
>>
>>52628542
From what I hear pretty much nothing... seem like sweet deals
>>
I'm 21, is it too late to become a sysadmin?
What certs would I need?
>>
>>52629199
i didn't become a sysadmin until i was 28. there really is no "age limit" if you have the proper certifications. shit, i know a high school dropout who got his cisco certifications, and now he makes $100k+/year.

get red hat certifications if you're serious. make sure you get jang's book on the red hat certs.
>>
>>52594225
>Business Analyst
How do you become a Business Analyst with no experience? I have an Associates in Computer Networking and a couple years of work experience in IT.
>>
>>52588035
I live in Iowa. Any more info? I won't out ya
>>
I don't know anything about certifications, and looking online there's a lot of information. Do certifications cost money? Is their like a general guide of what each certification is for?
>>
>>52586608
how to become a sysadmin?
>>
>>52630260
Yes they cost money. A general guide? Not yet.

The basic newbie certs are CompTIA Triad which are A+, Net+, Sec+

Those are enough to get you entry-level helpdesk, noc technician type jobs.

Beyond that you have MCSA, CCNA, etc.. which are associate level certs that are supposed to train you for jobs such as sysadmin and network admin type jobs.
>>
>>52630290
Ok thanks anon. I'm already entry level helpdesk, plan on going into advanced technical support in a month or two. After this I am thinking NOC or advanced product specialist, I'm not sure. My employer will pay for certs though so I am going to get in on this
>>
>>52625931
Same except change it for a picture of my face and a story about trying to stab a guy. Constant fear.
>>
>>52630306
How did you get this position? I have no degree, experience or certs in IT.

I really feel like I need to get that first job as soon as possible but it seems like all the jobs here want experience. what do
>>
>>52630437
Find a call center and apply for tech support. I got lucky and work for a huge registrar but there are tons of companies that can get you a similar position.
>>
>>52630484
How's the training for such job? I mean can you really be a fuckup? I'm not some great socializer so being on the phone kinda gives me anxiety but I'm willing to suck it up.
>>
>>52630512
I had 1 week of class training, 3 weeks of training while on phones most of the day, and then on the job training throughout. It's an easy job. Lots of people say call centers are bad, and maybe other ones are, but I like my job.
>>
>>52630577
Thanks, I'll keep searching and see if I can find somewhere that'll take me.
>>
>>52604186
Get certs and a degree nig
>>
>>52606791
more of that college bitch..
>>
>>52630512
Pretty solid way to get over anxiety from talking to people. You'll develop strong social skills if you're communicating with people 8 hours a day.
>>
Where do I start? I know this is a dumb question, but I'd like a career change and I'm thinking getting the a+ is a good starter point. Any advice would be appreciated
>>
>>52632685
What are your qualifications right now and what type of experience do you have? A+ won't really do much to be honest. The only people it will impress are low level HR recruiters. If you want a serious career change you'll have to aim higher for something like a CCNA or an MCSA of some sort. But it depends on what you really want to do.
>>
File: tryharder.png (18 KB, 798x284) Image search: [Google]
tryharder.png
18 KB, 798x284
>>52586608

OSCP is the coolest, most unique, and steadily becoming one of the most respected (by people beyond HR folks) certifications in the industry. All for obvious reasons when you read what the cert is and what it takes to get it and compare that to the multiple-choice theory-based exams of every other cert. out there. As a small piece of information to get you interested: the exam is 24 hours long and involves zero test taking.

https://www.offensive-security.com/testimonials-and-reviews/

http://www.jasonbernier.com/oscp-review/

http://networkfilter.blogspot.com/2015/07/my-oscp-review.html

And no I am not a shill, I am just very excited to hopefully give the cert a try this summer.
>>
>>52632725
None desu, im a driver but I'm tired of it. I know computers and can build them, have been for years. Where do I start? ;-;
>>
>>52589169

I am a former WPS PSD contractor who worked for various companies, last one being Triple Canopy. I resigned to go back to school full time for Networking/Security stuff and of course do a lot of things on my own/have experience in general. I wouldn't mind starting contracting again in that capacity: do you know what companies are hiring for IT?

I have many hookups in the world of gun-slinging but somehow the IT side of thing is totally separate so far and I have to build up my network, friends, contacts, etc. for that and was wondering if you had any starting point? And not SOCNET, already check there frequently.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>52618978
I had the same issue, went to college and then got an engineering job at Cisco, they help with the certification as well.
>>
>>52632789
I'm assuming you don't have a degree or an associates. I would suggest getting your CCNA. CCNA alone could land you a NOC or junior admin position it just might require some luck because of your background. The good thing about IT is school isn't really the best route. The problem is HR does the recruiting but they have no fucking clue what to look for. Certs like A+, Network+ are more so for breaking the HR process than impressing employers. Eventually you could even branch off into linux or Microsoft certs as well. But I would definitely suggest the CCNA to start. But I'll warn you, if you have no networking experience it will take a little while to grasp the concepts. I would study for at least 3 to 4 months before taking the test.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.