[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - stupid questions thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
>no /sqt/ in catalog

Okay, I'll start.
What happens if I buy a PSU that's not in logicalincrements' approved list of brands (like a CoolerMaster G-series, which costs literally half of the V-series)?
>>
That image.

Nope.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-23_15-37-42.png (37 KB, 598x283) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-23_15-37-42.png
37 KB, 598x283
Here's their list of PSU brands, anyway.
>>
>>52577791
>triggered

kek
>>
>>52578013
>xfxplodes
>>
>>52577781
Would that T-rex even feel anything?
Why does it take the posture then?
>>
>>52572473

Maybe this is what confused me about phones with custom ROMs on them.
So if I update to the newest version of a ROM, it's best to do a wipe?
I was always hesitant to do this because I always assumed that wiping the phone would get rid of my root and ROM and pretty much make it factory default.
Or when you have a ROM on there, it's "Factory Default" setting is like a fresh ROM, and not the phone's original shit pre-ROM??

I understand backing up with Titanium Backup, I just don't want to lose my root access or other things I had to finely tune afterwards.
>>
So /g/
i work on a trampoline park and we need to enforce waivers so idiots cant sue us if they broke their necks doing shit they are not supposed to do.
we are using the old fashioned way of printed waivers and stuff but we want to move on digital.

im looking for a PHP/MySQL online waiver but cant find anything free. i dont want to pay these jews at waiversunlimited or party center for a bunch of features i dont need.
my google fu has reach its limit
>>
>>52578129
Probably a spastic cloaca
>>
>>52578149
Basically what I'm saying is if I'm running a ROM (be it Cyanogenmod or AzureROM or something) and I do its "Factory Reset" option, am I pretty much wiping the ROM off the phone too? Or will it simply be a fresh, new ROM?
>>
Anyone use an ereader?
is there any reason to get on over a tablet?
is their small size a pain in the arse
should I get the kobo or kindle or something else?
>>
>>52578013
Kek, I've been using an Xilence performance A series 530w (€35) for 2 years without any problems.
>>
best way to rapidly make a bootable linux usb?
>>
Am I blind, or is there no decent tablet with a good screen and 2gb ram for under 200 euro on amazon? I was going to buy the chinese chuwi hi8, but if I want it delivered any time this year I'll have to pay retarded amounts of import costs, defeating the purpose of getting a cheap chinese tablet in the first place.
>>
File: 1453312643366.png (201 KB, 432x391) Image search: [Google]
1453312643366.png
201 KB, 432x391
help

My network work like this: Arris Modem > Dlink Router > My computer connected by wire.

I'm trying to open a port in the dlink setup, I type all the right information but the port stays closed. Trying to make a Sven-coop server
>>
Performance-wise, what happens if I mix 2x 4GB and 2x 8GB of DDR4 ram? I know it's not smart to mix different ram sizes, but surely I would get better performance than only using the 2x 8GB, right?
>>
File: 1453559438899[1].jpg (19 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1453559438899[1].jpg
19 KB, 500x364
I own old 3-in-1 HP 2355 printer I think I want to run again only for quality prints (paired with econo ones on my Brother J315W).
> sitting 5 YEARS
> empty cartdridges, anti-fill chip
> set of new cartdridges is 12.5% my month salary AND they say they should've been used BY 2010

Is it worth bothering or is probability of not getting it to work to big? Quality prints need is rare but I own a printer.
>>
>>52578815
pls
>>
Hello /g/.
I'm wiring my headphone to F_Audio pins, and something is wrong.
When I connect ground to ground, left to left, right to right, sound is just not right.
When I put ground on left, both plays, and muting left does nothing. Both plays. And vice versa
Dummy question, but my head is not spinning anyway
Is it bad inside headset or something? I remember having loads of this situations, but it was very long ago, so yeah
Thanks in advance
>>
>>52578966
btw
When it's connected correct muting one side makes sound good, but both speakers play. and vice versa.
>>
What would you recommend between cmake and autotools ? and why.
Learning one may come handy.
>>
How are the open source graphic drivers on a modern APU build with Ubuntu? I'm thinking of building a poorfag box for steam, becausw laptops suck even for four year old games.
>>
>>52578335
just use Google Forms, i used that on a Xtreme Hurricane park my father installed here.
You can set custom fields and checkboxes and all the shit you need and the form dumps all the data unto google spreadsheets so it goes neatly organized
>>
Can I get 1080p output on a monitor using VGA with a 1366x768 Dell Inspiron 1545 with Intel GMA 4500MHD?
>>
File: 1434342342071.jpg (16 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1434342342071.jpg
16 KB, 268x265
What does /sqt/ think of the Titan Z? Worth it?
>>
>>52579510
Somehow I couldn't do it (using fullHD TV instead) in newer Dell with Intel HD4000 so I bet no. But it's just my experience.
>>
So is there any way I can plug a second keyboard into my computer and use it as a piano keyboard?
>>
>>52578839
you dont need more then 16gb unless you're doing audio work or video editing(production quality). They will bottleneck because they arent paired together(you want a quad channel kit)
>>
>>52579786
So you're saying only having 2x8GB is BETTER than having 2x8GB+2x4GB? It's not a question of needing it or not, I have the ram sticks sitting around not being used.
>>
The wifi signal at my sister's house is absolute ass. It drops constantly throughout (there are 3 floors), and the connection is slow as fuck (it feels like sub-5Mbps). The router is located on the ground floor in the corner of the lounge. What solutions are there to boost the signal that don't involve cables, and don't involve buying a second router (ideally keep the solution as small and unobtrusive as possible)? I wanted to install one of those signal boosting antennas, but the original antenna didn't seem to want to come out and I didn't want to damage it.
>>
>>52579822
Throw them in if you want. There will be a performance loss.
>>
>>52579835
Meeting your critera.Nothing
>>
>>52579839
Performance loss as in I'll be getting less than 16 GB of RAM?
>>
>>52579854
Performance loss as in they arent paired together so they may not work properly together, bottlenecking, not handing caches properly.
If they are different freq's, etc etc
>>
>>52579540
not much.
dual gpu cards always run into some troubles in some games.
You'd be better off getting a 980ti, which might even be faster already.
>>
>>52578013
>superflower leadex on the list
>evga supernova not on the list
why? it's the same psu with a different fan/sticker.
>>
>>52579835
Theoretically and only that way - picrelated things.
For real, care less about how unobtrusive it is when you want reception. It's physics, not magic. Either you'll allow waves to reach and be reached or you're offline. Get a second router, wire it of course (you could use 2 radios router like mine, but you want not to feel the connection 5Mbps-like, right? It's about high ping that will slow everything down).
>>
>>52578711
insert usb drive
cp distro.iso /dev/sdX
sync
>>
>>52579936
http://www.connectedhome.infopint.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/netgear-powerline-ethernet-adapter.jpg
Why, oh why, memory...
>>
File: 1453342710166.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1453342710166.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
should I buy a gaming PC now or wait?
>>
>>52579980
generally you should buy hardware whenever you need it, there's always something to lookout/wait.
>>
File: 1453515242162.jpg (46 KB, 258x371) Image search: [Google]
1453515242162.jpg
46 KB, 258x371
I want to aquire a tablet for watching my ancient sibiro-mongolian gong playing videos while in bed. Does not matter if it is android/windows or if it is a some chink thing, it should just be >10 inch and not cost a metric fuckton
>>
>>52579854
It'll be dual-channel, just like your current 2x8. Just make sure that each channel uses one 8GB and one 4GB module. The whole 24GB will be running on the lowest frequency of all your modules (i.e. if you mix 1600 and 1833 you'll end up with 1600 for the whole 24GB).
>>
for (int y = 0; y < DIM; y++)
for (int x = 0; x < DIM; x++)
board[y][x] = '#';

How do I do this with for-auto loops?
>>
when trying to look for exploits in a system or application where do hackers normally look for?
>>
File: github-logo.jpg (37 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
github-logo.jpg
37 KB, 600x400
Looking to start using Git, what are my options? I've heard of git servers, but no clue on how to set up a server in the first place (what do I have to buy to make a server)? And should I host my code publicly on Github or not? Thanks
>>
File: 1e7791fdde.png (43 KB, 890x536) Image search: [Google]
1e7791fdde.png
43 KB, 890x536
Should I buy this now and get $70 in rebates?

Or should I wait for prices to drop or more rebates to pop up?

Upgrading my current setup by the way.
>>
>>52580208
Git is a distributed versioning control system, meaning that there is no server-client structure.

You can use git local only, or you can distribute it across machines and use git push to push your current branch around.
>>
>>52579906
Thank you very much. You've helped me in deciding what my next build is going to be.
>>
Asking again in new thread.

Yesterday I shut down my PC and when I tried to boot it up it wouldn't POST. Case, CPU and GPU fans spin, HDD spins but there is no display of any kind.

What would cause this to happen and what do I have to do to fix it?
>>
>>52579896
The mobo will usually either force the slow ones to run at the faster speed (potential overheating/breakdown issues) or will slow the faster ones down to the speed of the slowest ones.

Just use the uefi/bios settings to set the ram clock to something they can both tolerate, and don't worry. You won't really see performance losses and if there are any it will be much less than 1%.

Most people won't see much of a gain in having more than 16gb ram either, so the plus monus moght balance itself out.
>>
>>52579948
Thats while you are already in linux. If you are on windows, use Rufus. Point it at the iso, and your usb stick, and run.
>>
>>52580208
If you want to host your own Git server (no need to), there's GitLab (if you want all the social coding stuff) and GitBlit (if you only want a web interface to your repos).
>>
>>52580204
if available: the source code
otherwise: fuzzing/logs/data streams/etc
>>
What's the difference between the "memory" chips used in RAM (say, DDR4) and an SSD (say, a Samsung 850 Evo)? What makes RAM so much faster and why doesn't it hold its data after it loses power?
>>
My bluetooth charger makes a static noise when charging. What could be the cause, and what is a potential fix? I don't think I had this before.
>>
Does using the cyanogenmod easy installer thing root your phone or only install cyanogenmod
>>
>>52580445
I bet the speed difference is caused by PCI express instead of SATA.
I believe I read it's like that in newer MacBooks, but my memory fails sometimes.
>>
>>52580846
Or whatever the interface is called.
>>
What kind of work justifies
>8gb ram?
>16gb ram?
>32gb ram?
>64gb ram?
>>
What happened to Kickass torrents ? I can't access it anymore. It just tells me to download some shit and I'm sure as hell not doing that.
>>
>>52580445
Computer memory is complicated stuff if you want to get into the details. Probably better to read a book than ask /g/.
>>
File: Untitled.png (34 KB, 555x258) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
34 KB, 555x258
>>52580868
>>
>>52580867
>What kind of work justifies
>8gb ram?
gaming, browsing, coding PC
>16gb ram?
multimedia editing PC, using one or two VMs concurrently.
>>32gb ram?
web hosting, several VMs, graphics design and rendering
>>64gb ram?
server grade
>>
Hi, how you doing ?
Since the fall of megaupload and the whole shitfest that followed, I've pretty much lost contact with the pirating world, only sticking to piratebay until it's takedown last year (or the year before last year I can't remember), and now I've been using kickass exclusively for quite a few months.

So I'd like to know, what are the current (and safe) other big torrenting sites ?
>>
Would Hackintoshing an Acer Aspire One D150 netbook make sense?
>>
>>52581200
the pirate bay is still up [thepiratebay.se]
also [rarbg.to] is decent
>>
>>52581225
>Would Hackintoshing an Acer Aspire One D150 netbook make sense?
for what purpose ?
>>
>>52581230
Thanks man
>>
Any way to hide a block device from /dev/?
Like, if I want my first hard drive to be disabled how do I do it?
>>
>>52581269
Well, for the sake of it being a neat netbook.
Windows XP is old and Windows 7 runs like shit.
I've turned to light Linux distros (Lubuntu at first, been playing with ElementaryOS a little bit, but it sucks).
Maybe want to try out Hackintosh with it, since it apparently rates very well as far as compatibility goes.
>>
>>52577781
I bought an iPhone last year on eBay, with 12 month warranty, it stopped turning on so I sent it back for repair. It was shipped to me last year middle January, arrived at the end of January. Vendor says warranty starts when the item is dispatched, I don't think so, with online purchases it's usually (always) the date of arrival that matters. What can I do?
>>
>>52581292
blacklist the kernel module. just add the module name to modprobe blacklist.
might not work. might ruin your world. be careful.
>>
File: 1433524155961.gif (1 MB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
1433524155961.gif
1 MB, 300x301
I've got around 5 android phones, I want to use them as wifi security cams.
Is there an application that allow this?
I mean when accessing the IP address I get all the 5 phones cams at once, with ability to record as well.
>>
How do I go about buying a used laptop? I can see photos, they all look nice, looks like it was taken care of, I see it running with screen on etc.

What should one watch for? Any questions I should ask?
>>
>>52581466
'Does any key stick?'
If yes, then the nigga spilled his drink on it.
>>
>>52581466
Other than that, avoid shit brands and consumer grade laptops. More often than not they're owned by people that don't really care about their laptop and won't handle it well.
>>
>>52581577
It's an MSI gayman laptap. Good reviews apparently. Good price too.
>>
File: WallpaperPixelWaterfall.jpg (539 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WallpaperPixelWaterfall.jpg
539 KB, 1920x1080
So I know how to do "Hello World" in C++.

Now how do I into making simple 2D games with sprites and tiles and scrolling and graphixes?
>>
>>52581466
>What should one watch for? Any questions I should ask?
what was the laptop used for? (facebook and office good, gaming bad)
how often was the laptop maintained or fixed, if any?
recovery disks or windows key are nice to have.
make sure that the battery is replaceable because it's probably dead.
>>
>Smart TV
>No remote
>Has a LAN port

What could I do with it, and would there be a way to control/configure it without the remote?

Besides using the buttons.
>>
What would you guys say to your near-retirement dad when he told you that...

...he wants to learn how to "make websites in WordPress (no programming involved!)" and then make his own business where he sells websites he made (in Wordpress, exclusively)...

and he asks for your "professional" opinion?

I cringe just at the thought but I don't want to offend him.
>>
>>52581647
unless you want to learn how to write an engine yourself, use an existing one.
>>
>>52581647
Do you want to do everything yourself?

First thing to do in that case would be to make Win32 entry point and open a window. If that's your platform.
>>
So I'm an 18 y/o neet, not been outside in 5+ months not spoke to anyone excluding parents since I left HS (16) but I'm trying to change starting with employment my ideal job is fixing PCs I'm not /g/ tier at it but I'm above average
could anyone tell me what should I do to get a pc repairman job? what should my resume look like etc.
>>
>>52581688
"No dad, that's stupid." You're an adult if your dad is in his 60's, you can level with him and give him an honest opinion.
Tell him its a scam to get his SSN or credit card if you need to lie to him.
>>
File: 1363239062688.jpg (15 KB, 295x295) Image search: [Google]
1363239062688.jpg
15 KB, 295x295
Looking for suggestions for somebody wanting to work as a Network Engineer/Systems Administrator, not sure which.

Bout to finish up my AA, currently working in electrical/mechanical manufacturing, studied/studying for my certs (A+/Network+). I'm gonna get the certs, I'm gonna get the BS.

Trying to figure out where to go from here.

What should I look up for internships/new job? I want to move on from my current job and was suggested to work in some retail position, like Best Buy/Micro Center, to show customer service experience which could help find a Help Desk 1 or Jr SysAdmin job out of school.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>52581401

I don't know how to unload a kernel module or what kernel module I need to unload. I just want it so this machine can't see SATA HDDs.
>>
>>52581688
the competition is far too big.
he can't compete against free themes and I doubt he has the skills to make professional looking ones.

why would anyone pay when they can set up their own wordpress site for free.
>>
>>52581688
givem some lynda videos. either he gives up or actually learns something.
everyone knows that wordpress "programmer" that has 0 programming skills but manages to survive somehow.
>>
So i want to update my desktop pc from debian stable to testing.
I can set the repos in my sources.list file and just upgrade everything to the latest version.
Will this break my system?
If a package has dependencies errors will it upgrade or keep the installed version?
Should i just wait for stretch to be released as stable?
To be honest i just need cinnamon and the nouveau drivers, can i install just those without breaking something?
>>
>>52581688
No dad. Bad dad. Every retard can make website by himself now, and themes are free too.
>>
If i get a motherboard/cpu/RAM upgrade will I have to do a fresh install as well or is not changing the hard drive a way to prevent that from hahappeni.
>>
If I'm making software each release just goes 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 --- 1.9 2.0 right?
>>
>>52581823
You will probably have to reinstall windows. Chances that system will fix boot on startup by itself are slim to none.
>>
>>52581843

it goes 1.0 1.1 1.2 ... 1.9 1.10 1.11 1.12 until you feel you have a release big enough for a 2.0
>>
>>52581843
there's no standard for versions, you can use whatever you want.
I am using 4 numbers, major update.minor update.tiny update.bugfix
>>
>>52581873
so just when you've made big progress from 1.0
>>
>>52581887

Yeah. The dot isn't a decimal point, it's a seperator.
If you're on 1.5 and you make a big change, you can call it 2.0. Or if it's a tiny change you can call it 1.5.1.
>>
>>52581911
thanks for clearing it up, trying to build up a decent enough github to put on my CV
>>
Herro, I can has help?
>>52578869
>>52579087 (the thread died, question unanswered)
>>
I was in the last thread but still no luck. I just hooked up my new SSD and the bios detects it and so does linux. But it doesn't show up in windows at all. I've installed a linux distro on it and it works perfectly, so I don't think the SSD is broken. I tried the partition tables msdos and gpt and put ntfs partitions on top and it still doesn't recognize it. Any suggestions?
>>
Is it possible to get a decent quality, inexpensive 1080p projector? Is there any reason I would not want to do so?
>>
Can I backup a partition table to a file?
>>
(reposting from old thread)
I have a problem were in some games it seems out of sync, this happens mostly with timers (cooldowns, clock etc.) 'lagging' back and forth.

My character jumps around but even other characters in the game don't, it's very strange, here are some examples.

https://gyazo.com/ebf30968a8d0c9c11519e26fa30f4bbd - .gif that's too big for here

https://gyazo.com/53c0e7c678bcef8a03451cac4a9ee747

The example game isn't the only time it happens, it happens in other games too. I have no idea what would cause it, searches reveal nothing, any help would be appreciated
>>
>>52581949
Windows doesn't recognize ext4 format, the drive is fine.
>>
is Webdev something that can actually be self-taught-able to the point where it can be a profession? or is it something that you truly need to go to school for?
>>
>>52582031
I tried other formats before putting ext4 on it, still didn't work.
>>
>>52582035
you can learn almost any programming/coding language just by buying books/ looking online
>>
>>52582079
Try any of this?
http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/
>>
>>52581949
>>52582079
does it show up in disk management?
did you assign a drive letter/mount it?
>>
are there any free/under £50 certs that are worth getting?
>>
File: 1453146824898.jpg (189 KB, 1112x844) Image search: [Google]
1453146824898.jpg
189 KB, 1112x844
Okay, so I'm trying to install windows 7 from a USB on my new computer. The problem is that it's not recognising my keyboard and mouse.

In anticipation of its not recognising USB 3.0, I got a little USB 2.0 back to plug into my motherboard. Plugged mouse and keyboard in, still nothing. Tried using ps/2 adapter as well. It still doesn't recognise my mouse or keyboard. What gives?
>>
>>52582113
Does not show up in disk management or device manager at all. Can I assign drive letters and mount through gparted?

>>52582103
I havent. I'll give it a shot and report back
>>
>>52582098
i know you can learn it. but is it enough for professional usage?

also will people take you seriously without a degree in etc.?
>>
>>52582169
do you have it plugged in on a 3rd party SATA controller? Did you install the drivers?
>>
>>52582115
https://letsencrypt.org
>>
>>52582192
I was about to reply this too, but I think he means some educational certificates, not for websites.
>>
File: tL5suI3.jpg (244 KB, 835x773) Image search: [Google]
tL5suI3.jpg
244 KB, 835x773
>>52581769

Any suggestions?

Just trying to figure out what internship/job to go for.
>>
>>52582192
>>52582207
I did, sorry for not being clear, education certificates
>>52582115
>>
How difficult is it to run your own email domain at home?
>>
>>52582183
Not sure what a 3rd party sata controller is but I'd guess not because its plugged directly into the mobo. I did not get any drivers but I did try updating my chipset drivers
>>
>>52582229
not at all.

the only problem you might face is being blacklisted because your IP address is for customers of an ISP, which tend to have a higher risk for sending spam.
>>
>>52582229
Not to difficult, but take care that you don't become a gateway for spam e-mailers.
>>
>>52582247
try another SATA port or check your motherboards manual, some are just not native ones and require special drivers.
>>
>>52582103
Still doesn't see the drive.
>>
I may get an HP mininote 2113, is it gud? I plan to mostly write and play old vidya on it, and to install FreeBSD and WinXP in it.
>>
>>52577781
Not asking how just asking what

>In youtube app
>click on video
>video is playing
>can scroll through other videos, but video playing stays ontop

What's that feature called? Looking to replicate it for a catalog-browsing website (mobile view)
>>
>>52582292
Tried other sata ports as well, guess I will try to find a manual and skim it and look for special drivers. Thanks
>>
>>52582151
Should note that the plastic bits in the plugs for both keyboard and mouse are white, so they should be USB 2.0, no?
>>
File: 46346457347354.jpg (185 KB, 1131x1280) Image search: [Google]
46346457347354.jpg
185 KB, 1131x1280
>>52581463
>>52581463
The only thing I found is IP Webcam, but it only support one phone at a time, is there an alternative?
Or an IP web can viewer that support multiple cams at once?
>>
File: 1429013247330.jpg (67 KB, 574x234) Image search: [Google]
1429013247330.jpg
67 KB, 574x234
Alright, there's something I've been meaning to ask for sometime now:
I know what a VPN does, and how everyone on imageboards says that you should use a VPN regardless of your browsing habits,
but why exactly should I use a VPN?
And assuming that I AM going to be using one, how do I go about which VPN to choose?
>>
>>52582151
>>52582325

Anyone?
>>
File: vcfe.jpg (5 KB, 213x151) Image search: [Google]
vcfe.jpg
5 KB, 213x151
found my old pc, thinking about selling it but I have no idea what a fair price would be.
specs are:
Mainboard: MSI DKA790GX PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 64 3000+
RAM: 4x2GB OCZ DDR2-1066
PSU: xilence 500watt

Was thinking for around 70€ but I don't know. Any suggestions?
>>
>>52582453
Tried other keyboards, maybe even reset the cmos?
>>
File: Current Speccy.png (67 KB, 792x560) Image search: [Google]
Current Speccy.png
67 KB, 792x560
I'm looking to try my hand at overclocking, what are your preferred guides and programs I should use to assist me?
[spoiler]Has anyone personally be able to get this CPU up to 4.0 GHz? [/spoiler]
>>
>>52582609
This is the first time in 6 years I've built a PC. What is the CMOS, again?

I don't own other keyboards. I only have the one.

For what it's worth, all peripherals and the USB itself are plugged into the USB 2.0 jacks. The peripherals are clearly receiving power, because the lights are on.
>>
>>52582656
CMOS is basically the part that saves the BIOS data like for example if it should beep at you on boot or not. Usually there are two pins next to the internal battery that you have to shorten out with something or if that doesn't work just take the battery out. Last time I've had a USB problem I did that and it worked but I also remember going back to some very old PS/2 keyboards, not sure why I did that though. Good luck.
>>
>>52582647
I have a 6700k with a NH D15 and it's regularly running at 38C, just idle. Is it possible that I mis under or overapplied the thermal paste? How would I fix that if that's the case? I put an admittedly not-the-most-even dab. Not a huge glob, but certainly a decent dab. like the size of a ball bearing, but more spread out.
>>
>>52582647
Just up the multiplier in the bios and you should be good as long as your cooling can hold up with the heat. usually you can easily add 0.3ghz without any problems.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (7 KB, 463x131) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
7 KB, 463x131
What's really happening in this image?
My Computer > Properties report that it's an i3
Speccy and CPU-Z shows that it's an i5 4690
Am i looking at the wrong numbers?
>>
>>52578431
There are ereaders that are supposedly easier on the eyes because of the screen they use. Because of this they are only black & white but then if you are reading a book on it you can read outside without glare and also it's supposed to be exactly the same as reading a real book.

There are color ereaders but I'm pretty sure the tech hasn't caught up so all you're getting is a limited tablet.
>>
>>52582319
pls respond
>>
>>52579980
has that webm been around awhile? Good gawd.

Are there more?
>>
Posting again from last thread:
My pc keeps shutting off at random, and I think the 24-pin on the motherboard is the culprit, it sits pretty loose. How do I make sure it won't come loose again?
>>
>>52574762
thank you avocado man, i shot you an email
>>
>>52579916
G2 = Supernova Gold v2
P2 = Supernova Platinum v2

Supernova is what they call (almost) all of their PSUs
>>
>>52580041
Probably doesn't matter. I got a $100 refirbushed google nexus 7 and that works fine for videos, etc.
>>
I have malwarebytes but I'm worried it won't protect me from all viruses/everything. If I get a second program what should I use to fill the gaps?
>>
>>52582446
>but why exactly should I use a VPN?

If you do any piracy or want to watch shows from other regions. Or if you are worried about the government looking at your emails or whatever.
>>
>>52580275
>no display of any kind.

Did you use sleep/hibernate? I had similar issues and eventually the only way to keep it from constantly happening was to only "turn off" instead.
>>
any way to post image on 4chan from internet? im not talking about copy url and paste it in upload field, that would still upload it from my pc. i have shit connection and i cant post huge images because lol 4chan encountered error, send help
>>
File: 1443298092492 (1).png (1019 KB, 800x669) Image search: [Google]
1443298092492 (1).png
1019 KB, 800x669
Is there any true way of wiping a hard drive other than microwaving it or burning it? Obviously formatting does fuck all.
>>
A lot of people reccomended the nexus 7 2013 as a budget tablet to me, but no sd/microsd card slot and the fact that it still costs 200 euro in europe is kind of deal breaker for me. Are there any other decent budget tablets?
>>
>>52583313
dban
>>
>>52583256
Optimize your images.
A good bet is converting them to webm, that'll esentially make them webp images which is far better than either jpg or png.
>>
>>52583316
If 200 is too much for you what is your budget for a tablet? Also is that the price of a refurbished one there? Refurbished can be cheap and fine if bought from a reliable retailer.
>>
>>52583313
Write zeroes with dd.
>>
>>52583365
refurbished from amazon costs me about 170. That's about the lowest I can get, prices for tech in Belgium are always pretty high. Since I'm only really going to use it for watching movies and reading weeb comics, I'd say my budget is around 100-150. I would have just gotten that 50$ amazon tablet, but apprantly because of one old law or another Belgium us the only european country that amazon isn't allowed to sell that tablet to.
>>
My partition table got fucked up but I backed it up. It looks like this.

Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABF0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 274MB 273MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
2 274MB 408MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
3 408MB 485GB 484GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
4 485GB 486GB 902MB ntfs hidden, diag
5 486GB 500GB 14.4GB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag

How do I write it back to the drive?
>>
When will free mobile data come into effect?

God damn I love using mobile data outside to talk to people Internationally. But I have a 1GB allowance.

What are my options for free Internet?
When will it happen?
>>
>>52583603

You better not be in America. THey can't even get broadband right.
>>
How does one install .dll files correctly? Downloaded dll fixer but it doesn't seem to connect to the internet after the crack was installed.
>>
>>52583625
I'm not. I'm in Ireland. Generally we are about three years behind America when it comes to Internet service.
>>
>>52582583
We've bought recently two with similar specs AND two 1280x1024 monitors on top of that for half your price. As in everything bundled together.

Sorry m8 in this day and age it's just junk. You'd have better luck trying to sell hardware separately as there's always someone with an old ass pc looking for spare parts.
Which is why we bought it in the first place.
>>
Will 620w psu handle 390/ 390x? I had to replace mine, didn't thinking that i might need a stronger one. Power calcs estimate my draw under load at 540-590 watts, but that's cutting it close i think.

On the other hand i really, really don't feel like paying novidya for their 3.5.
>>
My harddrive with my opensuse 13.2 virtual machine died and I was going to reinstall the latest version. But now it's all confusing with Tumbleweed and Leap versions. I can't tell which one would be the best for me. Both claim to be more or less stable bleeding edge. I use OpenSuse for linux exclusive applications, the networking tools, web browsing and testing QT C++ code in linux.
>>
>>52577781
my lvds connector is stuck, and i pulled the pully thing off. I can put the pully thing back in, but the part that it goes into is bent outwards so it doesn't really help me much
>>
Follow this: http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/ for a windows install. The issue is that I keep getting issues with the install.wim mounting. Every time I try to mount the install.wim, and do to it what I did to the boot.wim, it says, "The user attempted to mount a directory that is not empty. This is not supported".

What?
>>
Is there a standard way to fix jumpy trackpads? I've got two semi-decent laptops with pads that go all over the place.
>>
Is there any possibilty to override File.separator in Java 6? The problem is, that this method returns '\', but it is supposed to return '¥' on the legacy system of our Japanese customer.
>>
If I have a project on github I that is GPL can I just change it to MIT
>>
>>52584338
the separator is the same, the character for \ in japanese codepage is ¥.
It's the same character, just looks different.
>>
>>52584230
Driver? Was something spilled on it, contaminating it's connector maybe?
>>
>>52584358
Afaik you have absolute control over your own project's license. If there is code made by someone else the whole thing gets increasingly fucked up until you get to GZDoom's level of fuckery, tho.
>>
I just installed a new ssd in my machine and moved my steam library over to it.
I can't find any of the programs in my start menu and the only way to access them is by going into the drive itself. What should I do?
>>
>>52584407
add shortcuts?

Windows doesn't magically know you moved the files.
>>
>>52584440
Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can only add a shortcut to the side of the start menu (windows 10) or desktop.
Theres no way to add it to my list of installed apps
>>
Am I making a mistake buying a chinese 8inch Win10 tablet with 1920x1200 resolution, Cherry Trail Z8300 quad and 2gb ram for 110 euro? Should I just shell out 60 more euro to buy the 2013 nexus 7, even though it has no microsd slot?
>>
>>52584474
press windows+r
enter shell:programs and press enter
put your shortcuts there
>>
>>52584381
We are using an external JAR library which uses the default File API.

But trying to access to "C:\DOCUME~1\SIEMEN~1\BLUEPR~1\TATOEBA.BLU" throws a FileNotFoundException, changing the value in the debugger to "C:¥DOCUME~1¥SIEMEN~1¥BLUEPR~1¥TATOEBA.BLU" works.

Because we have no access to the source of the external library, we have to override File.separator. How can we do this?
>>
my retarded fag ass finally produced a shit quality webm how do i get rid of the sound
>>
>>52584505
Ok, I think I understand. I found the old steam folder in there.
Do I just delete that folder and place the new shortcut in its place?
>>
I'm building a completely new PC. Do I get the i5-6600 or the i5-4690K?
>>
>>52577781
any /g/ermanfags here? I'm thinking about building a pc. which sites are the best to order the parts from? (cheapest, most reliable etc)
>>
>>52584786
one.de
alternate.de
>>
>>52584587
then there's something else flawed, the file separator should be U+005c, what do you get from file.separator?
>>
>>52584829
I get 0x5C00
>>
Is there any way to associate amazon ec2 hostnames with customers? (even a unique per-account ID would do for me)

I've got a few amazon ec2 machines hassling my web service, and I want to be able to check if some new client is the same guy with a new instance/hostname.
>>
Is warosu ever coming back ;_;
>>
How can I prevent the taskbar from popping up in front of fullscreen programs in Windows 10?
>>
Something really weird just happened to me.

I got messages from a bunch of services that I have sms 2-step verification set up saying that I was unsubscribed or that the verification was cancelled. They were services such as my bank, my Google account, and USPS. I logged into my Google account and my phone was still added for 2-step verification, I even tested it and it worked fine.

Anyone know what happened here?
>>
>>52584909
That is correct then.

If it cannot find a file then something else is wrong.
Can you see the file in explorer?
Have you tried using the \\?\ prefix?
Or using the full path instead of DOS short file names?

>Notice that in the CP932.TXT mapping table linked below, code 0x5C is mapped to U+005C REVERSE SOLIDUS (\). This is often a source of confusion because in many Japanese fonts, this code is displayed as a Yen symbol, which would normally be represented as U+00A5 YEN SIGN (¥) in Unicode. However, on Windows systems, code 0x5C in code page 932 behaves as a reverse solidus (backslash) in all respects other than how it is displayed by some fonts.
>>
>>52584987
Oh forgot to mention, all the messages came at the exact same time. I also switched my number to project fi in the last week if that matters.
>>
I remember reading/hearing somewhere that it's detrimental to the life of HDDs to start them up from a cold boot if they're below 18°C. Is this true? My house is about 13°C at the moment, so I feel I should wait until it's warmed up a bit.
>>
Has anyone ever run into an audio issue where certain software has sounds, but others don't?

Because right now, none of my media players will play sounds, but system sounds and notifications from pidgin work. Hell, even YouTube has sound. But my media players (foobar2000, windows media player, media player classic) all refuse to produce sound.
>>
How is windows 10 on tablets? Also, someone at work told me that the atom x5 Cherry Trail z8300 processor has horrible overheating problems in tablets. Is he full of shit?
>>
>>52585017
Fuck hdd, 13 degrees it's detrimental to you!
>>
>>52585027
Can't you just system restore to last week or something?
>>
P67 Sabertooth or P8Z77-I Deluxe for a 2550K?
>>
>>52585082
Probably, but I'd like to understand why it's broken.
>>
>>52585067
I was out of town for a week so I turned the heat down to save on the energy bill.

>tfw no personal automated miniature fission reactor to power home
Science is failing us.
>>
>>52585111
It's Windows. Shit just breaks sometimes. Sound drivers are always fuckier than the rest though, in my experience.
>>
>>52584391
>standard way
Not that I'm aware of. I don't think it's drivers either, since it happens in BIOS.
>>
>>52585027
Sometimes some sliders of the sound control panel just zero themselves for no good reason, mostly the Wave Output or whatever its called. Toggle all the controls on and search the zeroed one.
>>
I don't like the MKV container, what's the easiest way to change it to something that I can put on plex and not have to transcode
>>
File: toplel.png (290 KB, 1303x977) Image search: [Google]
toplel.png
290 KB, 1303x977
my school email uses google for hosting, does anyone know what the smtp would be for that? so i can use email clients

my schools it team is apparently ran by retarded IS majors
>>
>>52585611
Can't you google? Just search for "google smtp settings" or something like that.
>>
>>52585647
it says smpt.gmail.com but it doesnt work, but the page might be outdated :^)
>>
File: what.jpg (113 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
113 KB, 1280x720
How do you choose a VPN service?
>>
>>52585666
smtp.google.com is correct. You sure you set up port and authentication method correctly?
>>
>>52585710
Figure out what features you need.
Figure out how much you're willing to pay
Trial all of the VPNs that meet your needs in those regards.
>>
>>52585710
By comparing privacy policies. Check out frootvpn.com, I changed to them a while ago because their privacy policy is the best I'd seen at the time. Still is.
>>
>>52585435
Use ffmpeg.

ffmpeg -i input-file.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy output-file.mp4
>>
Asked a couple threads ago, got a confused reply with no answer:

I'm getting screen tearing on the desktop on my secondary monitor. My primary monitor is an Asus VG248 set to 120hz. My secondary is an LG Ultrawide (don't know the exact model off the top of my head, sorry) that's set to 60hz. I get tearing just scrolling through webpages or moving windows around. Everything I google points to Windows Aero issues back when fucking Vista launched, and I'm at a complete loss. Any help is appreciated. I have a GTX 970 if it's relevant.
>>
File: 42311[1].png (26 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
42311[1].png
26 KB, 256x256
I have just set up pic related (moved to plex b/c kodi genesis and other addons weren't working)

What are some MUST HAVE channel plugins?

I already have bittorent and I have heard that couchpotato and sickbeard are good. are they really good /g/ or just memes?

bittorrent has some good shit but is kind of lacking in the obscure stuff
>>
>>52585778
Not enough vram

Who would have thought
>>
>Build new PC
>Everything's working fine
>High ping in all games though

I've tried different network drivers, resetting my router, all sorts of CMD commands. What the fuck is going on, this is super frustrating.
>>
>>52584987
Contact support of those services. Might be a serious issue.
>>
>>52585746
How's their throughput though?
>>
File: pepe.jpg (12 KB, 353x352) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
12 KB, 353x352
My new motherboard does absolutely nothing. No POST, and even the PSU(which works fine in other computer) doesn't work. Is the mobo kill, or is there a possibility that the processor is not correctly installed/the case is shorting the mobo?
>>
File: yeah no.gif (16 KB, 400x494) Image search: [Google]
yeah no.gif
16 KB, 400x494
>>52585805
Oh, how clever!
>>
>>52585746
>we do not keep logs
that sounds too good to be true.

Never used a vpn tho. since it's based in sweden and I'm in germany will this somewhat affect my speed?
>>
>>52585823
I'm torrenting using their Sweden server right now, getting 56Mbit/s down.
>>
>>52585838
It's only true for the Sweden servers, afaik.

Yes, it will affect your speed. I have a 200/20 connection, getting around 80/10 max and usually around 40-60 Mbit/s down. Decent enough, especially considering other VPN services performed similarly.
>>
>>52585838
>that sounds too good to be true.

I remember FrootVPN being promoted on and by ThePirateBay. They also offered their service for free for a long time. So if you trust the radicals of TBP, you might believe there's some truth to it.
>>
>>52585906
diff anon though, pity that I have such a terrible internet connection that it makes basically no difference. Unless VPN somehow makes it so I can open up ports for torrenting through my phone hotspot's NAT, there's not much point.
>>
>>52585927
but that would mean I could torrent to my hearts content and not fear any assfuckery from the isp, gema or some other big corporation. are you telling me this is actually real?
>>
File: tahu oh damn.png (6 KB, 250x218) Image search: [Google]
tahu oh damn.png
6 KB, 250x218
I'll get straight to it, I had a GPE ROM on mt HTC M8 it was sluggish and i wanted the newest update so i found this
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2708589
RUU that would bring my phone to perfect google stock. I did everything right in method 2 except i didn't see the part where you're to take out the SD card. the phone was just stuck on the google logo for 6.1 and didn't do anything. I then left it by it'self to see if it was just taking a long time loading. I came back to a only black screen and when it's charging it's stuck at the charging icon. I can't access the boot loader at all (yes i do know it's vol up + power for battery pull and vol down + power for boot loader) please help I really need this phone functional. I forgot to mention that the HTC stock RUU fails to work and it's not showing up in ADB devices
>>
>>52585961
I've been torrenting using their VPN service for about a year now. So yes. Your ISP will only ever see that you're connecting to the VPN servers and nothing else.
>>
>>52585906
I don't care about speed that much, but would it make my general connections more stable than usual?
How reliable is it in this regard?
>>
>>52585994
huh okay, might actually consider that then if it's really that reliable. a bit more anonymity in the internet never hurts.
>>
>>52585807

P..please help. I want to play video games.

>>52585832

Did you put in the cpu properly? Make sure the notches are correct. is the 24 and 8 pin connected properly?
>>
Do laptop batteries produce enough heat to cause some excess heating in a laptop? I just got bought a used one that came with two batteries. When I have either of them in, my temperatures go to around 60-80c. Even while idling. With them out, the system stays at around low 40s.

Are laptop batteries suppose to do this, or are they just bad?
>>
Why can't I find my deleted files on this half empty 500gb hard drive? Recuva worked so well on my laptop with a smaller drive. It can't even find an empty text file I just deleted using deep scan. The only difference is that I've been using shift-delete.
>>
>>52585807
I guess you have high ping even while on a server somewhere close? I assume you've got a decent internet connection too?

I'm assuming I don't have to tell you trying to connect on a server in another country and/or shitty internet can result in high ping, but just checking.
>>
>>52585953
You can tunnel your phone's connection through VPN, as well. As such, you could torrent through your phone's NAT or even directly torrent on your phone. However, I'm assuming you have a data cap on your phone's mobile internet plan.

If I were in your cause, I'd just rent a torrentbox and download your torrented data at university/library/school/whatever with a decent internet connection.

>>52586032
>but would it make my general connections more stable than usual?

No. VPN has nothing to do with your connection's stability. If you have issues with your internet connection, a VPN cannot help you as it relies on that connection as well. That's something you have to remedy with the help of your ISP.

>>52586039
You can try it for one month for only $4. Really not much of a loss, in case you're unhappy.
>>
>>52586069
Are you sure the batteries aren't obstructing some vents?
>>
>>52585719
ok i figured out what was happening..

gmail was blocking the app i was using (nylas n1) because it was "low security", which i had NO IDEA it was doing because i never got an email like they supposedly should send..

it's working now with the default stuff
>>
>>52586102

Yes. Before building this PC, my old one would connect to the server just fine with 5~30 ping. And yeah the connection is fine. I download shit just fine, can watch a stream on source quality without lag, and pictures on here open up fast. The connection's fine, it's just the games.
>>
>>52586104
>I'm assuming you have a data cap on your phone's mobile internet plan
Clinging to my grandfathered VZW plan for dear life, actually.

The problem is, I live rural and I believe I only connect to a single oversold tower.

Does VPN make it so that I could see incoming connections on an otherwise "unconnectable" connection? Private trackers get kind of cranky when you can't really share properly.
>>
>>52586126
Yes, unless Lenovo is just really stupid for some reason.
>>
>>52586159
>Does VPN make it so that I could see incoming connections on an otherwise "unconnectable" connection?

Your connection from you phone has to only reach the VPN server. If the VPN server can make that "unconnectable" connection, you should be fine.
>>
>>52586104
>You can try it for one month for only $4. Really not much of a loss, in case you're unhappy.
yeah that's what I thought too. 4$ are a bit less than 4 Eurobucks. I can live with that, even as a poorfag student
>>
File: not_exiting.png (2 KB, 519x111) Image search: [Google]
not_exiting.png
2 KB, 519x111
This code uploads a file to a server, but it doesn't exit.
I don't get why in hell doesn't this script exit.
It correctly displays "Uploaded", the file is present on the server, the curl request was successful.

Can anyone enlighten me on how I could make this bash script exit upon completion?

#!/bin/bash
img=$1
foo=`curl -F "file=@$img" -F "upload=true" "http://dns.tld/upload.php"`
echo "Uploaded"
exit 0
>>
I need a screenshot software for Windows 7.
Which one is the lightest, that allows me to capture the screen by pressing a key combination and save it as a png in a folder automatically?

Thanks in advance.
>>
Been in the last few threads and I'm still stuck... Got new SSD. Bios detects it. Linux detects it. Windows does not. Checked the disk manager and device manager, checked diskpart, nothing. Reformatted it a few times, nothing. Put linux on it, works fine. Swapped sata cables/ports, updated drivers, downloaded programs, nothing. I was going to put windows on the drive but even the installer doesn't detect it... Wtf do?
>>
>>52586302
My guess is that curl creates a subprocess, which then get exited/removed properly. You can check my assumption with the 'ps' or 'prgep' command.
>>
>>52586138
You should call your ISP. How much speed do you get exactly? You could also see if...

If you live with others, are they connected too? Are they streaming, playing games, torrenting? Are you torrenting something? If on steam, make sure it's not trying to download/update a game.(normally stops itself anyways). Go on speedtest if you haven't already, and see what results you get. I've heard antennas can kind of hinder sometimes, so try to unplug them to see if anything changes. Make sure you aren't just connecting with BRs or into BR while playing on a server.

But assuming you've done all this, the last thing to do is to call your ISP and start yelling at them. Maybe they really hate games and are throttling them.
>>
>>52586405
doesn't get*
>>
My computer is out of commission.

While I'm figuring that out can I take my HDD from that computer, stick it in another computer, download the necessary drivers and use it like normal?
>>
>>52585807
Hi Toten
>>
>>52586306
greenshot
you could have just googled
>>
>>52586454
>can I take my HDD from that computer, stick it in another computer, download the necessary drivers and use it like normal?

Yes.
>>
>>52586488

!!!
>>
>>52586306
I kind of use puush for this reason. Does all of that, but you have to set up for the program to save screenshots locally. That way you can have a screenshot saved to your computer, and automatically uploaded somewhere for easy show.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.