[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ love the ThinkPad so much? I have never used one.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Ultrabook.jpg (160 KB, 944x756) Image search: [Google]
Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Ultrabook.jpg
160 KB, 944x756
Why does /g/ love the ThinkPad so much?
I have never used one. Just asking.
>>
Linux has fantastic Thinkpad support.
>>
>>52577489
It's the most practical laptop a man could own

Btw, your pic related is not an actual thinkpad. I don't recommend buying that
>>
>>52577489
>better keyboards than most other laptops
doesn't feel as good as a Model M or anything, but it's much nicer to type on (and easier to type accurately on) than typical chiclet boards. The ones on Macs are especially awful and I don't know how people stand them.

>repairability
You can just go and download a complete teardown guide that tells you how to remove any piece of the thing and reassemble it afterwards. It's fairly easy to find parts or junker machines on ebay from businesses upgrading. These things aren't true for many other models of laptop. They're also fairly durable to begin with.

>Linux support
Linux generally just werks on them

>cost
A used one isn't expensive at all, considering how much you get. Again, because of businesses that buy the things by the trainload and then later upgrade. There's a lot of supply in the market.

>aesthetics
It's like the exact opposite of the Apple look. Black instead of white, loads of ports instead of hyperminimalism, function over form instead of form over function. Some of the newer ones aren't as good, though.
>>
>>52577544
>Btw, your pic related is not an actual thinkpad.

Wat
>>
>>52577584
It's because it doesn't sport the more classic thinkpad design and is an attempt to appeal to people that would otherwise buy a Macbook because of >muh thinness.
>>
>>52577631
A thin and light laptop is a must for me.
>>
>>52577584

The new thinkpad line isnt that great and has a semishit keyboard.

You want an x220 or t420 to get a decent keyboard.

>>inb4 shit tier resolution
>>
Hi guys, I'm looking for a laptop. I'm gonna use it for programing and 3D stuff. What thinkpad do you think I should get? I was thinking in a Macbook pro because I hate lenovo keyboard design even if it is more useful than macbook's keyboard... But if thinkpads are better (I'd like to dual bot Linux)
>>
>>52577631
>>52577679
Are you blind? It says Thinkpad right there.
>>
>>52577724
>>52577724
Did you read my post you fucking retard?
>>
>>52577692
Well, it really comes down to whether you want to run OSX or Gnu/Linux. Linux has great support on thinkpads, less so on a macbook. Macbook's still have problems on Linux in terms of dpi. The x220 is a great portable thinkpad, with a modern enough proccessor that it isn't painfully slow. But if you are doing 3D graphics, you probably want a GPU, which is also a pain on Linux.

What do you hate about thinkpad keyboard design? Almost everyone agrees that they are much more comfortable than the mbp keyboards. There isn't much point using Linux AND OSX, because they both provide a unix environment. But dual booting windows and linux on a mbp is still possible.
>>
dell inspirion 1520 what does it have?
>>
>>52577763
Yes, I meant if I get a thinkpad I want Linux too. But not in the mbp. 3D basic stuff (I already have a good desktop at home).
I was almost convinced with mbp but I really like thinkpad design (kinda old fashioned, which I love).
Maybe lenovo's keyboard are very useful but I don't like curved form at the bottom of the keys. Ugly as fuck, I'd rather have a more squared keys, or mechanical keyboard inspired.
>>
>>52577867
are you working with pre-rendering or live rendering?
>>
>>52577867
X220 or earlier, or T430 are really the best models to buy. New thinkpads, with the new keyboards, just aren't as good. The new models have fucked up keyboards and touchpads, trying to be stylish. They also simply aren't as durable as the old style.

You don't want to be buying new, go for a well treated second hand/refurb.
>>
>>52577909
Pre rendering
>>
>>52577724
It does't implement the classical "thinkpad" philosophy.

They're designed to be portable, easily repairable, and lasting.

That laptop doesn't look like it. Well, except the portable part.
>>
>>52577941
then I recommend getting a workstation of some sort
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w550s/

for the love of god, don't get a macbook for that shit
>>
>>52578035
Thank you! Price looks very good
>>
What should I get if I need a good, top-performance laptop?
Right now I have an X1 and it's utter crap. Thanks god I didn't pay a dime for it and got it from my workplace for free.
X220 doesn't cut the bill anymore - I need something with way more speed.
>>
>>52578072
What do you need speed for? Have you tried swapping out for an ssd in the X220?
>>
>>52578081
>What do you need speed for?
I'm doing software engineering & various types of security-related research for a living and I travel a lot (otherwise I'd just stick to my 5-monitor workstation).
Getting and SSD is obviously a great idea, but I need a stronger CPU as well
>>
>>52578107
Fair enough. I can generally still handle medium sized projects in intellij on mine, but I can see how things would get choppy beyond that. An SSD really improves things in so many ways though.
>>
>>52578107
You should be skilled enough to setup an automated build server on a remote computer. My laptop is weak as shit but I can use to develop software because I've found ways to offload the heavy processing to my high powered personal server.
>>
>>52578184
That works, but it gets very annoying when you have to transfer large amounts of data from/to the server over a crappy WiFi.
>>
>>52577674
Damn kids, ruining technology.
>>
>>52578275
Travel purposes.
>>
>>52578299
You dont understand, the beauty of those thick brick thinkpads IS travel purposes
You fucking try accidentally breaking one of those old thinkpads
You can't
Not every piece of tech has to be 5mm thick faggot, you compromise so much build quality
>>
>>52578340
Are you retarded? compactness is a factor when you travel. I don't want to carry a bigger backpack than I have to.
>>
>>52577489
>I have never used a ThinkPad

Fucking casual scum
>>
>>52578340
Wish my fucking laptop would break.
This old beat-to-shit Gateway just keeps trucking. I've dropped it half a dozen times, once from about three meters, and the bitch won't break.
I cannot justify replacing the thing until it dies.
>>
>>52577554
I see. Thank you!
>>
>>52578409
There is nothing of value an ultra-thin laptop can give you that you can't already get out of your smartphone. It will not have the power to engage in heavy-duty computer work. You'll browse the web, play some videos or music, and check your eMail/social-tracking websites.
If you are concerned about compactness, just bring a smartphone. Or a tablet if you really need the screen real-estate.
>>
Reminder that anything newer than the T400 is fatally flawed. Intel backdoor and non-free BIOS.
>>
>>52578458
>There is nothing of value an ultra-thin laptop can give you that you can't already get out of your smartphone.

The most trivial example I can think of is writing text. It doesn't have to be code (which is practically impossible to write without a keyboard) - writing more than a few lines of plain English text without a physical keyboards is an utter waste of your time.

And for what it's worth, even the thinnest Ultrabooks are fine for compiling & running small software projects.
>>
perfect poorfag machine
not in a bad sense
>>
>>52578549
Then get a keyboard for your phone.
>>
>>52577489
i like the meme. the x230 is a perfect size+weight for me and the keyboard is the best i've ever used on a laptop (haven't tried a _20 series). the looks are nicely utilitarian and understated. Honestly, I also like the sekrit club feeling I get when someone recognizes my device and commends my taste, especially professors.
>>
>>52578575
This, cheap and reliable.
>>
>>52577724
Ibm used to produce thinkpads before selling the whole thinkpad line to lenovo. The ones made by ibm are called real thinkpads here.
>>
>>52578058
Hello, i am here to tell you that this processor bottlenecks, hard.
>>
>>52578409
> 4 pounds is too heavy :(

Stop reading /g/ and go to /fit/. You need it urgently.
>>
>>52578644
So much autist cred from using a thinkpad.
I pull it out at uni and people will compliment me on my shitty 4 year old second hand $200 laptop. Meanwhile everyone and their mother has a mbp, and noone cares.
>>
>>52578679
>>52577958
So let me get this straight: this Thinkpad is not a Thinkpad because it's not designed by IBM? That's confusing because the brand says otherwise. Shouldn't you distinguish between "IBM Thinkpads" and "Lenovo Thinkpads" to promote clear thinking?
>>
>>52578679
Lenovo made some good ones. Generally up to the _30 series is fantastic. I have a t520 and it's God tier
>>
>>52578803
When you see people talk of thinkpads here, they usually are referring to the x220 and the t420.

Not anything made past 2012
>>
>>52577489
lurk more newfag
>>
>>52578803
No. There are Thinkpads made by Lenovo that are not flimsy Macbook Air copies like the X1.

for example, look at the x220 - it's a Thinkpad that looks just like the old ones
>>
Alright guys, I might just pull the trigger.

Do I buy a T61 or not? I don't know what GPU it has yet, though.
>>
got my t420 blaze it after my old laptop broke.
>cost me only 200 bucks,
>it's a fucking tank that would probably survive a nuclear strike
>I can switch out almost any part myself and I can get any of those parts for a couple bucks
>nipple fingering
>>
>>52578910
i think you might want to go for a newer device. they're still very cheap, and you'll get much better performance. just stay away from the *40 series b/c of the awful touchpad
>>
>>52578834
>>52578835

_40 series was a mistake.
_50 series is great again.
_60 series will be great as well.

/g/ only prefers older Thinkpads out of poverty.
If you can spend $2000+ on a Laptop then Thinkpads are usually the best choice.
>>
>>52578409
>I don't want to carry a bigger backpack than I have to.

Screen size and bezels determine backpack size.
Thinness has no impact whatsoever.
>>
>>52578910
I have a T60p that I bought just to have. I definitely recommend running a lightweight Linux distro on a machine like that, and upgrade to an SSD too. It'll make a good shitposting and document editing machine, maybe play some lightweight indie retro games, but that's about it (which admittedly is plenty for a lot of people).
>>
>>52577830
bad soldering of the grafic chip
>>
File: 1016841.jpg (20 KB, 561x288) Image search: [Google]
1016841.jpg
20 KB, 561x288
I've never understood the love OP. Sure the older ones were fucking awesome, but nowadays the latitudes fucking crush the cheap ass lenovos. I've got two E series lats and they are built far, far better than my last chinkpad.
>>
>>52579045
Thickness has an effect on how bloated your bag gets. A thin laptop means you can put in more items before the bag feels bloated.
>>
>>52578717
>>52578058
>>52578035
Different guy, thats actualy the model i use for rendering as well
>>
>>52577489
it's literally just muh gentoo and muh clit mouse
if you don't care about either, then it doesn't matter
>>
File: thinkpad.jpg (30 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad.jpg
30 KB, 800x531
>>52579329
So apparently this is a T60 with an internal GPU.

2 gigs of ram and a 60 GB.. will definitely need an update.
>>
>>52578987
This. You won't find poorer or more envious fags on any other board. Take all advice from these worthless fucks with this in mind.
>>
>>52578744
>4lb heavy
Grils in my uni lug >2kg Taiwanese laptops just fine.
>>
>>52578987
This, I've got a top model t450 and it beats the hell out of my roomates t420.
>>
>>52579742
Because Latitdude designs were so ugly. Old Latitudes full of shades and stripes and unnecessary curves.

Finally Dell tried minimalist design but they are too late. [spoiler]At least they are not malware ridden like Lenovo.[/spoiler]
>>
>>52577489
Price to performance ratio on older used models is the simplest answer
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.