[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1000 men living and working in space by ~2050
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: CisLunar-1000.png (411 KB, 1266x709) Image search: [Google]
CisLunar-1000.png
411 KB, 1266x709
Do you believe the technology is ready for this kind of development?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxftPmpt7aA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIY_fmvFDhM
>>
>>52576513
>technology is ready
There is one decisive question about posiibility of this: isn't it haram? Damn you optimistic one.
>>
>>52576513
well the tech is here now. What we're lacking is any reason to keep sending humans into space. There isn't a scientific one (unmanned probes are better at that) and there isn't an economic one (even for very rare things it's an order of magnitude cheaper to mine them on earth than from an asteroid)

so we could do it but it's pretty pointless
>>
>>52576513
Tech has been ready since 60s. Our bodies are not and lack of economic profit is why we dont have moon bases yet.
>>
File: saddenned.jpg (37 KB, 601x695) Image search: [Google]
saddenned.jpg
37 KB, 601x695
>>52576513
That's way too late!
I'll be too old by then to be allowed in spaceflights.
>feels bat man
>>
File: I was soon to change my mind.jpg (221 KB, 1070x723) Image search: [Google]
I was soon to change my mind.jpg
221 KB, 1070x723
>>52576513
I don't want to be fucking 70 by the time I'll be able to mine in space.
>>
>>52577027
You'll have better luck getting to space by leaving a will stating your cremated remains to be spread out in space after you dye,
>>
>>52576513
I'm not exactly sold on the economics of mining in space. Elon Musk isn't either.

I also don't see why anyone will need to work in space. Putting people in space is crazy expensive. The ISS produces fuck all value for the amount of money is cost to build and maintains.
>>
>>52576513
>1000
Did you mean 50,000?
>>
>>52577098
What are people meant to do in space? I don't get it.
>>
>>52577129
Colonize, research outposts, resource extraction, military, tourism.
>>
>>52577196
>Colonize
for what purpose?
>tourism
fair enough

why do you need humans for anything else? Why not just run everything by machine?
>>
Technology is there surely, of course we will colonize further planets.. it's a natural progression for any advancing race of conscious creatures.
>>
Honestly, I don't think it will happen until technology becomes very advanced much further in the future. IMO, space exploration will be decided by how much profit there is to be made, and whether the actual investment will give back a substantial return. As it stands I don't think we will see anything in the near 80 years.
>>
Desserts are easier to colonize and reach but people for some reason want to go to space instead.
>>
>>52577196
>Colonize
Why? If we're going to the trouble of going there and living there there has to be a reason for it
>research outposts
unmanned missions give you much more science per dollar spent, since you don't need to lug fragile people and their bulky, heavy life support systems along.
>resource extraction
There's no magic unobtainium that doesn't exist on earth. Even the scarcest, hardest to get at minerals are far easier and cheaper to get at here on earth than they would be on an asteroid or another planet.
>military
I believe there's an international treaty barring weapons platforms in space. Which leaves recon, and we can do that very well without people already.
>tourism
only valid reason to send people into space.
>>
>>52577062
>cremated
Ha ha ha, I'll freeze myself first.
When I die from old age I'll burn in a blaze like any human should.
>>
>>52577442
>I believe there's an international treaty barring weapons platforms in space.
Only nuclear. Kinetic, ballistic so on and so on are fair game.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kj5YNBPKzg

abo'solutely brilliant
>>
I want to be a space garbagemen
>>
File: you are fucking retarded.png (14 KB, 242x221) Image search: [Google]
you are fucking retarded.png
14 KB, 242x221
>>52578260
How many people are you?
>>
>>52577098
Do you mean 40k?
>>
>>52578328
8/3
>>
>>52578230
I tried to watch, anon. I really did. But when she got to "the idea of being thin is what makes people fat" I just had to close it.
>>
>>52578688
yes
>>
>>52576767
There is also no need to compete. Apollo was a dickwaving competition.
>>
>>52577388
>Desserts
>>
>>52579911
he doesnt set up base on a apple pie
laughing_whores.webm
>>
>>52577388
hmmm good point.

but if you colonize sahara or siberia - you can learn about building a habitable environment alrready given oxygen and decent temperature.

space is much tougher - there is a lot more to learn - and we will build spaceship tech along the way also
>>
>>52580379
>if you colonize siberia
>if
it's been done, you know
>>
>>52576893
>feels Batmaaaaaan

I'm glad I'm not the only autist that says this.
>>
>>52580569
You are.
I just write it down. I never actually say it.
>>
>>52577388
We've already done that though. For instance, Los Vegas.
>>
>>52577442
>If we're going to the trouble of going there and living there there has to be a reason for it

>the year is 1493
>Columbus sails into Palos, waves his hands around about the New World
>"Shut the fuck up, Chris, I have two trees and a hammock right over here"
>>
>>52581336
They didn't have drones, robots long distance telecommunication, and electricity back then.
We've already been to the moon mars and space.
And those places aren't as hospitable as the Americas.
>>
>>52576513
>1000 men
>men

fucking patriarchy keeping strong, smart womyn down again
space should be about equality, I think they can send 1000 men but they have to send more womyn than that.
>>
>>52581611
This is a dumb fucking argument and I'm highlighting that.

People are talking about space colonization. People are investing money in research for space colonization. People are developing shuttles for commercial space flights.

And yet, there are morons in this thread going "it's never going to happen," "we have no reason to go there," "it costs too much money," etc.

Hey, how about instead of living in your own bubble, you open your fuckin' eyes to the reality around you. This is happening. It doesn't matter if you think it's stupid or not.

As for a reason: all manner of scientists have said that it's a pretty bad idea for 100% of the human population to live in the same place. If you disqualify that as an argument, then you're probably a nihilist and nothing I say matters to you anyway, so why are you even bothering?
>>
File: 1453493804238.jpg (88 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1453493804238.jpg
88 KB, 600x600
>tfw if murica had spent all the money they've spent on pointless wars on space exploration instead, we'd have colonies on mars by now
>>
>>52576785
So why hasn't a communist country done it yet?
>>
>>52581739
>this is what redditers actually believe
>>
>>52576513
>CISlunar
Literal kek
>>
>>52577096

I await for the day where space colonies are the new tax havens and heralds of small to no government.
>>
>>52581739
If we sent a manned mission to Mars in 1977, we'd be halfway to Alpha Centauri now.

If we started terraforming Mars in 1977, we'd be able to live on it right now.
>>
>>52581764
That's a rhetorical question anon, communism doesn't work.
>>
good writeup of the whole thing:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-why-spacex-will-colonize-mars.html
>>
Haven't any of you faggots watched star trek?
There's literally no reason to stay on earth when we have a while galaxy to explore
>>
>>52578328

Almost everybody who has watched Planetes.
I for one, want to be a space weaboo.
>>
>>52578260
Right now, I'd do that too - in a heartbeat.

Just because it's fuckin' space.
>>
>>52577098
Did you mean 6 million?
>>
>>52577388
Yes it's very easy to get ice cream and cake but would you really trade that for a chance to see the stars?
>>
>>52585572
OY
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 241x209
>Kids born next century will live forever
>You are last of the decaying
>>
>>52583175
>If we sent a manned mission to Mars in 1977, we'd be halfway to Alpha Centauri now.If we started terraforming Mars in 1977, we'd be able to live on it right now
Both of these things are false.
>>
>White men losing battle over supremacy on earth while countries run by sjws let muslims rape all the ladies.
>They take off into space to start colonizing.

cowards.
>>
>>52585674
We fucked up this planet, time to move on.
>>
>>52576513
>1000 men living and working in space by ~2050
That's it? Seems pretty small.

I feel like we just completely wasted everything we put forward in the 60s when the shuttle program started.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.