[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions for Richard Stallman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 16
File: rms.jpg (73 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
73 KB, 640x426
>at a hackathon in boston
>richard stallman speaking at 10am
>not kiddkng

give me questions to ask this legend
>>
i was with a group that asked him some questions once. he basically told us to fuck off.

ask him if he thinks his being fat is 'socially responsible'
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 1920x1080
>>52575380
English mutha fucka, DO YOU SPEAK IT?
>>
Why can't the GPL be as permissive as BSD? Is it because you hate freedom?
>>
Ask him to switch to Spanish halfway through his presentation.
>>
>hackathon
normie detected
>>
oh also ask him about dank elisp memes
>>
just make sure to thank him for keeping your favorite software such as itunes free
>>
>>52575422
ur mom
>>
>>52575390
im trying to think of a question i could ask that would be socially acceptable to ask, but would still make him rant
>>
>>52575380
Tell him you have come across a software distribution called Alpine Linux. Shouldn't that really be Alpine GNU/Linux?
>>
>>52575406
do it OP
>>
>>52575380
tell him you got him a parrot
>>
Ask him how many burgundy polo shirts he owns
>>
>>52575541
I really don't think someone like stallman would give a fuck about what is socially acceptable.
>>
Ask him if he wants to buy a 32GB flashdrives worth of homemade cheeze pizza
>>
Ask him to sign your iPhone
>>
ask him if there is one person in the whole computer industry that he could prevent from ever being born, who is it and why is it steve jobs?
>>
>>52575380
Ask him what he thinks of Linus. They seem to have a bitterness between them, should be a funny answer
>>
>>52576163
i didnt know he knew linus tech tips
>>
>>52575380

Ask him why did he have to ruin the computing world with his autism. Before he came along people would use the right tool for the job. Now the programming world is filled with autists who won't use a good tool because is closed source.
Also ask about the caloric content of his feet skin.
>>
File: 1450727258185.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450727258185.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
>>52576178
>>
>>52575380
What are your favorite pizza toppings?
>>
>>52575380
"Why do you continue to use an outdated OS like Linux when Windows has surpassed you in features by a decade now??"

Tell him to genuinely answer. His OS extremism is setting us back years. If we were all unified under a single OS, we would have reached the singularity by now.
>>
>>52576338
>"Why do you continue to use an outdated OS like Linux when Windows has surpassed you in features by a decade now??"

Because Windows is not GPLed, you moron.
You will never be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
>>
>>52575380
What's your favorite sex position?
>>
ask him to go on art bell's midnight in the desert. I emailed the producers a long time ago, and I assume they were not receptive to my inquiry.
>>
>>52576338
>surpassed you in features by a decade
package manager

>inb4 it has one now
the last windows I've used is 7 so idk
>>
>>52576338
I'm not aware of any special features Windows has that the unix-like operating systems are missing.

(I know you're just an idiot posting bait, but when bait isn't true it's hard for it to be funny)
>>
Approach him talkin in portuguese and watch him freak the fuck out. Report back.
>>
>>52576465
>>inb4 it has one now
>the last windows I've used is 7 so idk
No worries, the "package manager" that Windows 10 got isn't a real package manager.
>>
>>52575380
Why do have so much respect for your craft and so little respect for your body?
>>
>>52576468
>I'm not aware of any special features Windows has that the unix-like operating systems are missing.

Working
>>
>>52575380
Ask him what he thinks about Refugees developers from 3rd world countries and does he support them to come here in the US !
>>
>>52576529
if you're trying to be funny I'll give you one more chance to say something that isn't retarded
>>
>>52576338
Are you implying gaymin or what? Most of the shit that is used in the modern world works off of GNU+Linux? Windows has more features but it is in no way better for reliability or bug fixes. Plus Cuc ksoft keeps windows in a tight grip whilst anyone can tinker with Linux however they like. There is almost nothing that you can do on a windows pc that you can't do on a linux pc with the same specs.....

THIS IS THE ONE TO ASK OP, ITS PERFECT!
>>
>>52576529

Fapping to eroge and playing vidya doesn't count as working, anon.
>>
Ask him when will the Linux / GNU community calm down, stop bitching about distros and work together to make a simple but the most powerfull distro
>>
>>52576555
>Fapping to eroge and playing vidya doesn't count as working, anon.

Neither does trying to fix your video drivers for the nth time.
Besides i keep having connection errors, so many witty retorts are going to waste.
>>
>>52576534
>if you're trying to be funny I'll give you one more chance to say something that isn't retarded

I enjoy working drivers on windows for example.
>>
>>52576633

Fixing what drivers? Do you even Linux? LMAO Everything works out of the box unless you need proprietary firmware that your distro may not provide, in which case you need to install them yourself, but that's pretty easy task and you only need to do it once.

I'm guessing you are not a clever guy.
>>
>>52576665
>Fixing what drivers? Do you even Linux? LMAO Everything works out of the box unless you need proprietary firmware that your distro may not provide, in which case you need to install them yourself, but that's pretty easy task and you only need to do it once.

Linuxfags never change

>I'm guessing you are not a clever guy.

If you say so.
>>
>>52576705
>says something stupid
>is proven wrong
>passive aggresive response in lack of a better argument

Ok kid
>>
>>52576716
>Ok kid

Says the virgin.
>>
>>52576716
What kind of Man-child says "Ok kid"
>>
>>52576727

Ok kid
>>
>>52576742
>What kind of Man-child says "Ok kid"

Probably a kid. I assume he is a teenager, and he feel so 1337 typing those strings in xterm. But I'm te stupid one beacuse I don't spend time fighting my operating system instead of using it.
Linuxfags are cancer.
>>
Does the FSF endorse Red star linux?

How can you sleep at night when you tell people to use the braindamage that is GNU software? See https://gist.github.com/dchest/1091803 for reference.

You like lisp. Why are GNU coreutils not written in Lisp?
>>
Make a quick speech thanking him for all his work on Linux and all that Linux has meant to you, and where he sees the future of Linux going? Basically mention "Linux" as many times as possible.

For serious though, ask him about what he thinks of the Ubuntu phone
>>
>>52575406
This, also ask him why he uses gentoo.
>>
>>52576562

Why would you want that? this type of vitriol in the community is necessary for it to move forward, even Linus is aware of this.

Now, if you are referring to the naming controversy, then sure, that's pointless and nobody cares except for hardcore GNUFags.

>>52576769

Ok kid
>>
>>52575705
Top kek
>>
>>52576771
>Does the FSF endorse Red star linux?
How can it endorse something that directly violates all points of GPL?
>>
>>52576771
>https://gist.github.com/dchest/1091803

>GNU echo
>proper error handling
>hey seems there's something wrong with XYZ part of your command, it should look like this: <example>

>muh unix way echo
>you fucked up lad go figure it out yourself :)
>don't forget to read the manpage
>>
>>52576806
>Why would you want that? this type of vitriol in the community is necessary for it to move forward, even Linus is aware of this.

Move forward to what. Outside servers and embedded systems linux is dead. No Android is not Linux.

>Ok kid

You sound exactly like linuxfags from a decade ago.
>>
>>52576881

>Move forward to what

Do you even Git? Yeah, Free software moves forward no matter what...you don't like free software? Fuck off then, why are you even here?

>Outside servers and embedded systems linux is dead.

Oh, does that mean my computer is dead too? It seems like it's working to me.How about those countless users running some kind of Linux distribution, are those dead too?

>No Android is not Linux

Oh, I guess CVE-2016-0728 is nothing to worry about then. Right? No, you are stupid.

Here's you "Ok kid"
>>
>>52576968
He's right you know, you really sound like an insufferable smartass
>>
>>52577056

Whatever dude. You can't go around discussing shit you know jack shit about. I could claim that he sounds like an insufferable dumbfuck...in fact I will. He's an inssuferable dumbfuck, I'm sorry if that triggers you.
>>
>>52576968
>Do you even Git? Yeah, Free software moves forward no matter what...you don't like free software?

Git is not Linux

>Fuck off then, why are you even here?

For keks

>Oh, does that mean my computer is dead too? It seems like it's working to me.How about those countless users running some kind of Linux distribution, are those dead too?

You are what, 1% of all PCs?
You are dead.
You are statistical noise.

>Oh, I guess CVE-2016-0728 is nothing to worry about then. Right? No, you are stupid.

Still not Linux

>Here's you "Ok kid"

Thanks
>>
>>52577109

Ok kid
>>
File: 3c0[1].jpg (188 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
3c0[1].jpg
188 KB, 650x650
>>52577117
>>
>>52577103
Wow
Can you even be more of dumb unlikeable douchebag ?
>>
>>52577137

Ok kid

>>52577150

What exactly did that I say that you disagree with? Can you point out how am I wrong?
>>
>>52576968
>countless
I count 12 people on earth who use Linux
>>
like always the threads get derailed by morons
>>
Why does my computer run Windows?
I don't GNU, it wouldn't HURD.
>>
>>52577223
>What exactly did that I say that you disagree with? Can you point out how am I wrong?

You said Linux works, i.e. it has the same functionality as say Windows or OSX. And it is free. And yet people choose to pay for Windows / OSX. Including tech savvy people.
I wonder why that is.
>>
>>52577223
LOONIX IS FUCKING BROKE UNWORKONG UGLY STUPID ANIME WATCHIMG FUCKING WEORD NEET AURISTIC FUCKIMG SPASTING CUNT DICK FUCKING RICE WEEB FUCKING SOCIALLY IMPEDED FUCKING CANCER USER FUCKONG FAT OBESE FUCKING SOCIALLY REPRESSED FUCKING INEPT INANE MUNDANE INSIPID SHIT PISS IT IS FOR FUCKONG POOR PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO FUVKING SUCK THEIR OWN COCK ITS A FUCKONG PLAYTHING OS
>>
>>52577225
i use slackware, so you better make that 13.
hello from australia!
>>
>>52577223
>What exactly did that I say that you disagree with? Can you point out how am I wrong?
That's the point you dumbshit
Grow up
>>
>>52577264
busted caps key mate?
you sound a little angry.
>>
>>52577289
HAHAHA NOT AA ANGRY AS YOU WHEN YOUR OS IS FUCKING BROKEN BOOOOOOOOKEN
>>
>>52577262
>yet people choose to pay for Windows / OSX.

For the most part they don't, they use it because it comes pre-installed with consumer laptops and whathaveyou.

The Linux installation process in the current year, for most distributions, is so easy you literally need to be a retard or simply don't care about computer tech at all to not be able to install it.

For most people, who only browse the internet, make spreadsheets, write documents or chat on Skype, Linux is more than sufficient, and it works.

>paying for Windows

>>52577268

>you are wrong and dumb
>why you say that?
>THAT'S THE POINT YOU DON'T GET IT GROW UP

What was the point exactly?
>>
>>52577308
my os works quite well mate.
have a burger.
>>
>>52575380
Shout that he is a freetard and begin shilling windows in an Indian accent
>>
>>52576746
virgin boy!
>>
>>52575380
What does his toegum taste like?
>>
>>52577348
at least somebody is bringing this thread back on track. or trying at least.
>>
>>52577374

Ok kid
>>
>>52577331

>For the most part they don't, they use it because it comes pre-installed with consumer laptops and whathaveyou.

They tried to sell PCs with Linux preinstalled at a reduced price. Guess what, it didn't work.

>The Linux installation process in the current year, for most distributions, is so easy you literally need to be a retard or simply don't care about computer tech at all to not be able to install it.

Linux is easy to install, sure. But it's not easy to get working properly. Do you understand the difference?

>For most people, who only browse the internet, make spreadsheets, write documents or chat on Skype, Linux is more than sufficient, and it works.

No it doesn't

>>paying for Windows

Better than using Linux
>>
>>52577308
are you just bashing your head on the keyboard?
ps, this is an over 18 board.
>>
>>52577451
It works for System76. I don't know what your problem is.
>>
>>52577476
>It works for System76. I don't know what your problem is.

Imblying people don't buy jus to slpa a pirated copy of windows on them.
>>
>>52576026
>>
>>52576529
JUST
>>
>>52577451

Okay, you actually have a point there, Ubuntu on laptops was a not very good idea...but that's a marketing problem really, not a technical one.

>But it's not easy to get working properly.

I have no idea what you are trying to do with your computer, but I don't think you are doing it right. Maybe you could provide us more information on what went wrong with your Linux experience.

>No it doesn't

Hot argument, you sure conviced me.

>paying for Windows
>Better than using Linux

If you can't enjoy free stuff, that's your problem. I bet not even your mommy would trust you with pocket change fearing you'd spend it on stupid shit.
>>
File: eeq6han.png (301 KB, 592x1836) Image search: [Google]
eeq6han.png
301 KB, 592x1836
ask him if green is still his pepper.
>>
>>52577649
>Okay, you actually have a point there, Ubuntu on laptops was a not very good idea...but that's a marketing problem really, not a technical one.

Actually is a technical one

>I have no idea what you are trying to do with your computer, but I don't think you are doing it right.

I'll give you a hint. If you have to go to the terminal for mundane stuff (e.g installing a driver), *you* are doing it wrong.

>Maybe you could provide us more information on what went wrong with your Linux experience.

I'm too old to fiddle with my OS, I want something that works, comprende?

>Hot argument, you sure conviced me.

Now, reread my statement and look at reality, the come back.

>>paying for Windows
>>Better than using Linux
>If you can't enjoy free stuff, that's your problem.

Rape is also free. Doesn't make it enjoyable tho.

> I bet not even your mommy would trust you with pocket change fearing you'd spend it on stupid shit.

How old do you think I am?
>>
Penis.
>>
>>52577726
>Rape is also free

*Being raped
>>
>>52575380
>give me questions to ask this legend

ask him what he knows about Intel backdoors.
>>
>>52575380

Ask him why he uses non free hardware.
>>
>>52577225
I use Debian Linux and Arch so make that 15
>>
>>52576644
>>52576644
Drivers work fine for me I don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>52577823
He'll say that's a meaningless question. There is no meaning in "free hardware" or "non-free hardware".
>>
>>52577886
>He'll say that's a meaningless question. There is no meaning in "free hardware" or "non-free hardware".

I hate when he does that. That man needs to suffer.
>>
>>52577885
>Drivers work fine for me I don't know what you're talking about

*WorksForMe TM
>>
Ask him if he knows how to install gentoo
>>
>>52577795
>ask him what he knows about Intel backdoors.

BUMP

He's been hanging out with people who know the dirt and can't get it 'published'.
>>
>>52575541
>im trying to think of a question i could ask that would be socially acceptable to ask, but would still make him rant
Ask him about how much Steve Jobs advanced the state of the art in computing.
>>
>>52577916

Don't bother, he doesn't
>>
Ask this :

Do you think the democratisation of the internet helped the advancement of free software or did it create pushed proprietary software down the troat of everyone by dumbing down the democratisation implies ?
>>
>>52575380
>>52575541

Does he think that 'Free as in freedom' has found a business model which is entirely in-keeping with the philosophy of GNU yet or is there still an uneasy alliance?

To what extent does he think that software should be a vehicle for social change? Should large and distributed development communities reach consensus even before developing any software and should a piece of free software be judged by moral standing of it's author?

Both of those are good questions and both will turn any conference into /b/ for 45 minutes.
>>
>>52577911
What are you trying to imply I have installed Linux on many different boxes with many different configurations of hardware and it all has just worked.

>>52577726
>I'll give you a hint. If you have to go to the terminal for mundane stuff (e.g installing a driver), *you* are doing it wrong.

What is so wrong with CLI, its faster at doing large jobs and is a useful tool. It's been the Linux way of doing things since forever plus GUI tools most of the time are just unnecessary bloat. It takes getting used to of course like anything new but once you learn it and get going with it its leagues ahead in speed and performance than any GUI can achieve.
>>
>>52578079

>What are you trying to imply I have installed Linux on many different boxes with many different configurations of hardware and it all has just worked.

Hi Pinocchio

>What is so wrong with CLI, its faster at doing large jobs and is a useful tool. It's been the Linux way of doing things since forever plus GUI tools most of the time are just unnecessary bloat. It takes getting used to of course like anything new but once you learn it and get going with it its leagues ahead in speed and performance than any GUI can achieve.

Please tell me you are a troll
>>
>>52578102
Not a troll why do Win/Mac shills invoke this argument anytime they are shown the errors in there ways.

Here is a test for you move 21 img files each with a different name form one folder to another then change the name of those files to something different with a increment + 1 at the end of the file name.

If asked to do this in GUI you might feel like your life is about to end and can sense the darkness creeping up on you but in CLI it just another day in paradise.

Win dosent foster this kind of thinking witch is why (IMHO) we are stuck in 1984
>>
>>52578195
Do you know that windows has a shell too, right?
>>
>>52578258

And it sucks.
>>
>>52578323
>And it sucks.

Why?
>>
>>52578258
we weren't talking about the win shell. we where talking about how CLI compares to GUI. and even tho win/mac have a shell its hidden in the back where so that the masses can remain literate.

I'm going to use a metaphor so try and keep up. It's like back in the 11th century when the Bible was only written in Latin and the English masses couldn't read it. They would have to go to there local priest to learn the divine word of God. The priest would take advantage of the illiterate and over charge them and Jew them out of there shillings or put things in that are lord and savior never said. CLI is the Latin bible. and GUI is the JEW priest in this story.
>>
>op would dare
>>
>>52578075
Yes. The business model that's compatible with free software is valid today as it was in 1970. This is the model of selling the software at cost price, not at a fraction of cost price.
>>
>>52577900
Or perhaps you need to learn to choose clear and meaningful words if your goal is proper debate.
>>
>>52578399

No CLI is the latin bible.
GUI is the vulgar bible.
>>
ask him whether gnu/hurd supports usb yet.
>>
>>52578457
>Or perhaps you need to learn to choose clear and meaningful words if your goal is proper debate.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-hardware-designs.html
>>
>>52578480
or sound
>>
>>52578480
It doesn't as of now.
https://fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/microkernels_hurd_rump_sound_usb/
>>
>>52578480
Does it support actual hardware or is it only for virtual machines?
>>
>>52575380
"How does it feel to know your cause, while somewhat noble, is never destined to succeed?"
>>
>>52578527
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52578519
Only for very old (1990's) machines. There are no Hurd drivers for the SATA disk interface or USB controllers.
>>
>>52578519
after speaking to devs on irc can confirm vm only pretty much
>>
>>52578566
>after speaking to devs on irc can confirm vm only pretty much

He should've built the hardware himself. After all he has worked on Lisp machines. Something implemented on a FPGA. And redo the GNU userland in Lisp.
>>
Go full autist and ask him if he browses /g/
>>
>>52578607
Stallman has said that he chose to dedicate his time as an activist promoting free software. This meant that he chose not to spend any meaningful time on designing/manufacturing user respecting hardware. He hopes that other people would take the initiative to get this done.

As for me, I'm dedicating time to port GNU Mach to run on my Asus C201 in 2017. My end goal is to get USB, sound and power management, and accelerated graphics working on Hurd on my C201.
>>
What's the best condiment to go with toenails/toejam?
>>
>>52578779
Free beer.
>>
>Have you ever visited the technology board on 4chan?
>Do you have any experience with Gentoo
>What is your opinion on systemD?
>How would you make the average user use Linux (even if it's with non-FOSS software?
>What kinda music do you like?
>Could you draw me?
>Can you sign this X for me? I'm a big fan of your ideology.
>>
>What was it like to teach african refugees bash?
>>
I once asked what he thought about steam and he told me to go fuck myself.

Came buckets.
>>
>>52579278
id say the niggers got the wrong idea of what bash meant.
>>
>>52576517
kek'd this pls
>>
>>52576742
OK KID
>>
Was at this talk. (HacKBeanPot)
RMS was exactly like ai imagined. A holy saint of a man child. Was inspiring though.

Most hilarious part is he got carded entering the building, almost didn't show up for the talk due to the injustice.

He did have some interesting comments on ML though, and training data being more important than the program itself, and how that affects libre. Ad.offer he didn't know the answer.

All in all, 11/10 would reccomend.
>>
>>52575380
>Why is free software virtually always inferior in regards to usability, functionality, practicality, to its proprietary counterparts?

>Why aren't free software developers joining projects to create one good piece of software for a certain task, and instead they make multiple incomplete forks of a software?
>>
>>52580050
>>Why is free software virtually always inferior in regards to usability, functionality, practicality, to its proprietary counterparts?

Non issue as long as it is FREE (by my narrow and arbitrary definition)

>>Why aren't free software developers joining projects to create one good piece of software for a certain task, and instead they make multiple incomplete forks of a software?

FRRRRREEEDDDDDHHHHHHHOOOOOOMMMMM
>>
>>52579031

>SystemD

Yes, please ask him about what his opinion is on this!
>>
>>52578195
You could do this via terminal or automator
>>
File: 1450297525555.jpg (81 KB, 516x1008) Image search: [Google]
1450297525555.jpg
81 KB, 516x1008
>>52575380
Ask him why he has to be such an extremist. Not wanting your talks to be uploaded on YouTube because "muh libre" doesn't help at all.
If he wasn't so narrow-minded, people might actually care more.
>>
>>52578195
Both worlds have it pros and cons. A powerful CLI is a great tool, yes, but you cannot deny that interface design (and colors) done right can often be much more intuitive and easier to use.
>>
File: 1427726310937.jpg (102 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
1427726310937.jpg
102 KB, 682x600
>>52575380

Ask him if he's learned Portuguese yet lmao
>>
>>52581217
https://youtu.be/jskq3-lpQnE
>>
>>52575396
he answered this like a million times, the reason is that he doesn't want to be cucked by apple like BSD was.
>>
>>52580852
Why do you think it would help his cause if he were a massive hypocrite?
>>
>>52580050
>>Why is free software virtually always inferior in regards to usability, functionality, practicality, to its proprietary counterparts?

It's not, but in instances where it is, you could probably chalk it up to the free software developers having less resources than the proprietary developers. Maybe it's time for you to start funding some of your favorite free software projects?

>Why aren't free software developers joining projects to create one good piece of software for a certain task, and instead they make multiple incomplete forks of a software?
There is no such thing as "one good software for a certain task." Even in proprietary land there are many different programs that do the same things.
>>
>>52581709

Freetard detected
>>
Conflate open source software with free software, get the meaning of free vs libre wrong, only mention linux, never say GNU.
>>
>>52581884
Proprietary slave detected
>>
>>52577137
remember ok kid youtube bot?

I wonder if it's still going...
>>
>>52581948
>Proprietary slave detected

That's the answer I expected.
Your behaviour can be accurately modeled by a few logic gates. How does that feel?
>>
>>52581632
You're not a hypocrite if you share a talk about freedom on a non-free platform.
>>
>>52582175
It feels great. Consistency is the reason why the free software movement has come this far.
>>
>>52582371
>Consistency

Now, this is what I call trolling.
>>
>>52582369
How so? You do realize that the entire purpose of his work is to promote the use of free platforms over nonfree platforms, right?
>>
>>52582454
Having principles that others can easily understand is trolling?
>>
>>52582469
Stallmann has no fucking principles you autist.
He is doubling down on his poor decisions since the 1970's and you are falling for it.
>>
>>52582539
>i don't know what a principle is
>i don't even speak english
>>
>>52582539
>Criticizing famous people for "poor decisions"
>Spends his life shitposting on a hentai imageboard
>>
>>52582573
>>i don't know what a principle is
>>i don't even speak english

Well you could explain to me then. As an aside, I'm not a native English speaker.
>>
>>52582612
>>Spends his life shitposting on a hentai imageboard

It's my only vice.
>>
File: 1426034990354.jpg (26 KB, 400x316) Image search: [Google]
1426034990354.jpg
26 KB, 400x316
>>52575380
>anti-natalist
>pro-bestiality
>pro-pedo

This man is a saint, a gentleman, and a scholar.
>>
>>52575406
lmao this
>>
>>52577225
I use elementary currently, 15
>>
File: jokery.gif (878 KB, 279x219) Image search: [Google]
jokery.gif
878 KB, 279x219
>>52576562
This. The main reason I'm so goddamn hesitant to use Linux as my primary OS. Its like "hooray I just learned openSUSE!" "That's cool but your a faggot and that version is a faggot cause you dont use LINUX A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H."
>>
>>52582688
This is the man Linuxfags look up to. Just saying.
>>
File: 1422137030107.jpg (110 KB, 342x450) Image search: [Google]
1422137030107.jpg
110 KB, 342x450
>>52582762
Meh.
Hackers were not normalfags.
The people who like freedom are a dying breed, smashed between the reactionaries and the SJW.

Did anyone ever like freedom or was it just a meme?
I like freedom... ;__;
>>
>>52582762
GNU/Linuxfags.
Just Linuxfags are either indifferent about him, laugh at him, or consider him a misguided extremist.
>>
>>52582806
>Did anyone ever like freedom or was it just a meme?

No it was a meme.
Linux is not really more free than Windows, it just has different owners. Linux "freedom" is only theoretical.
Since neither Linux or Windows are free, I'm staying with Windows, wich at least works most of the time.
>>
File: 1424634975262.png (171 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
1424634975262.png
171 KB, 380x285
>>52582855
Hi Bill
>>
File: BaitDoll-BP01-EN-C-1E.png (481 KB, 400x588) Image search: [Google]
BaitDoll-BP01-EN-C-1E.png
481 KB, 400x588
>>52582855
>>
>>52582855
Yeah, sure. Downloading Windows source code this very moment.
>>
>>52582894
>Yeah, sure. Downloading Windows source code this very moment.

You don't get it do you?
>>
>>52576727
>>52576742
but he's completely right you autists
>>
>>52582806
I like freedom too anon.
>>
>>52575380
Why should users painstakingly strive for source code level security when backdoors can easily be implemented in hardware?
>>
>>52582806
Humans are completely contrary to freedom in every way. Why do you think we live happier more fulfilled lives as a mass which we've dubbed "society" or "civilization" and spend countless time inventing rules and regulations and then spend even more countless time arguing and defending those invented rules and regulations and killing each other over it. And fighting and bickering and killing each other over having some person or group rule over us? What makes you think humanity ever wanted to be free? Apart from maybe the Native Americans, who in North America had still not developed an advanced civilization and was wiped out immediately by the white man due to "free" ways, which were incomprehensible to them.
>>
>>52582967
>Why should users painstakingly strive for source code level security when backdoors can easily be implemented in hardware?

I'm going to implement my own CPU with TTL logic. I don't trust FPGAs, they could be compromised.
>>
Ask him if "freedom" should not mean actual freedom and not virulent freedom - is it morally acceptable to try to dictate what others must do with the freedom we provide them, instead of letting them choose for themselves what course of action to take with their derivatives' rights?
>>
>>52582913
You must the the same faggot that ranted about linux being shit in the beginning of this thread
Do you even know what "free" means in this context?
What the fuck are you even doing on /g/, go back to whatever "tech" discussion site you came from
If you're actively against Linux and open source, you do not belong here.

Go suck pajeet's enterprise dick and then off yourself

8/10 made me reply
>>
>>52583060
Yes.
>>
File: 1443371309904.jpg (14 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
1443371309904.jpg
14 KB, 300x298
>>52583060
>i want to leverage open source software as gratis labor for my kapitalist scheme while giving nothing in return
Nice try, bourgeoisie.
>>
>>52583023
I'm going to make my own ATM machine CPU unit with TTL logic. It will use completely FOSS software to check the PIN number.
>>
>>52583134

>Using the word free with a different meaning from the rest of the world
>Thinks it is a valid argument
>Thinks /g/ is Linux only
>>
>>52583217
Ok then don't think of it as "free" think of it as something else. Some people like to use the term "libre software."
>>
>>52583198
>I'm going to make my own ATM machine CPU unit with TTL logic. It will use completely FOSS software to check the PIN number.

Now that I think of it, even TTL may contain backdoors.
Better use discrete transistor. If you use smd ones it could be actually fairly compact. You will only need a room to spare for a 386 equivalent.
>>
>>52582752
This is mostly why I use Arch.
>>
>>52583217
only in english free means what you think it means and /g/ is far from linux only, there's BSD and OSX threads every day

Your response was just pathetic and it proves that you just don't have the competence to even work with a unix based system, once again you should just off yourself my man
>>
>>52583250
>"libre software."
I'm still waiting for usable libre software
>>
>>52583305
Have you tried the GNU/Linux operating system?
>>
>>52583284
>only in english free means what you think it means

I don't like Stallman definition of free, that's all.
Neither do the vast majority of people.
>>
>>52583336
>Have you tried the GNU/Linux operating system?

No only GNU/Hurd
>>
>>52583378
Oh then I think you would like GNU/Linux
>>
>>52583355
That's fine. Language changes constantly and words acquire new meanings all the time. They will come around eventually.
>>
>>52583397
>Oh then I think you would like GNU/Linux

What distro do you suggest?
>>
File: 1427145672614.jpg (7 KB, 207x244) Image search: [Google]
1427145672614.jpg
7 KB, 207x244
>>52583397
If I may interject...

What you're referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, GNU/GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "GNU/Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a GNU/Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU/Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU/Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with GNU/Linux added, or GNU/GNU/Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNU/Linux.
>>
File: IAmBecomeDeath.jpg (63 KB, 566x433) Image search: [Google]
IAmBecomeDeath.jpg
63 KB, 566x433
>>52583502
No, Richard, it's 'GNU/Linux', not 'GNU/GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to GNU/Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.
>>
>>52583498
Fedora, Mint, OpenSUSE, any 'buntu except default Ubuntu, ElementaryOS, Bodhi Linux.

If you can't decide I suggest OpenSUSE if your computer is less than three years old or has at least eight gigs of RAM, otherwise Bodhi, Lubuntu or Xubuntu.
>>
>>52583502
Is LLVM free, Richard?
>>
>>52583378
If you're using Hurd with GNU, you should just call it GNU OS as Hurd is a GNU project.
>>
>>52583813
>If you're using Hurd with GNU, you should just call it GNU OS as Hurd is a GNU project.

Thanks, I don't want to anger Richard.
>>
>>52583355
>>52583426
Did you know that Stallman's definition of free software existed since the birth of software itself? Do you know the reason why (English speaking) people associate "no payment" software with "free"? The reason is because businesses in 1970's began promoting proprietary software, both commercial and non-commercial proprietary software. Most people are taught to respect a life of proprietary software and most people are not taught about Stallman's definition of free software. The owners of proprietary software have very large budgets to help promote their software to promote the utility of their software to get users to ignore/accept the licensing agreements.
>>
>>52583305
protip: "usable" software is inherently subjective. You can very well be waiting until the end of time if you want to do nothing about the situation but whinge to other people to "fix" the software you would potentially use.
>>
>>52583908
Booo Capitalism baaaaaad.
Marxism in software is a-ok.
>>
>>52583952
>protip: "usable" software is inherently subjective
Not really, there are usability guidelines.
>>
>>52575380
ask if his penis is open sauce, if so can you see it? if not why is he a hypocrite?
>>
>>52576805
he uses trisquel you stupid cuck
>>
>>52583964
You're confused about Stallman. Capitalism isn't inherently wrong, however, you can do bad things in the pursuit of money. One example of an immoral way to make money is through people smuggling. Making a profit by selling software isn't the problem. The problem is proprietary software and this is an ethical problem regardless of how much money is involved. We encourage everybody to make a profit selling free software.
>>
>>52584075
>The problem is proprietary software
Why?
>>
>>52583984
All software is inherently subjective to a specific situation. This is a fact for all software regardless of its licensing issues. Now in the case of free software, the whole idea of free software is that everybody is allowed to improve it at any time. If you're willing to invest yourself into improving free software, then you can improve your software to be perfect as you dictate - once again, free software exists so that you can do it yourself if you want.

If you're only willing to whinge to other people that "free software is not usable", then obviously, other people will do what they want to do, they won't always be listening to you if their goals do not align with your usability expectations.
>>
>>52584182
That is some properly worded cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>52584099
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.en.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nit-india.en.html

tl;dr proprietary software forces people to not have friends

tl;dr proprietary software inherently makes users into "computer subjects" while the owners become "computer masters" who control the users
>>
>>52584220
>In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress or discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values at the same time, performs an action that is contradictory to one or more beliefs, ideas or values, or is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs, ideas, or values.
I don't think you understand the meaning of cognitive dissonance
>>
>>52584045
That's the joke.
https://stallman.org/to-4chan.html
>>
>>52584278
did not know that, thanks
>>
>>52584262
Tell me honestly, do you have Assburgers?
>>
File: 1452136889783.png (1 MB, 934x785) Image search: [Google]
1452136889783.png
1 MB, 934x785
>>52575422
>not going to hackathons
Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.