[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix Loonix?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: 1449965374894.png (30 KB, 602x500) Image search: [Google]
1449965374894.png
30 KB, 602x500
How do we fix Loonix?
>>
>>52563987
Remove the hobbyist programmers and open sores extremists.
>>
what is broken?
>>
>>52563987
I really, really like this image.

Are there multiple Smug Tux's with other distros?
>>
kill RMS
>>
You don't
>>
How about a DE that doesn't look like dogshit from 2005?
>>
Defragmenting the developers should be the first priority. Next would be to get serious about hardware compatibility.
>>
get talented/professional designers working on the UI instead of neckbeards with their tiling WMs stuck in the 70s
>>
purge RMS fags
>>
File: 1448682988652.png (45 KB, 602x500) Image search: [Google]
1448682988652.png
45 KB, 602x500
>>52563987
well your pic is easy to fix
>>
>>52564042
Which distro you'd like?
>>
>>52564103
KDE looks good, but God is it buggy...
>>
>>52564103
This is literally the best feature of it.

It's been 14 years since the release of Gnome2.
And you can still use it (under the name of MATE).

Learn a desktop environment once.
Never be bothered with it again.
>>
>>52564169
windows
>>
>>52563987
It's easy :
start selling pre-build computers & laptops with linux already installed. That will lower their prices, and a lot of people will start using it.
Having a bigger user base, developers will start porting / developing things for it, bringing more people that didn't want to switch because of the software availability.

Now it's not only the unique thing to fix. You need to start a marketing campaign. Linux doesn't need it for the professional world. It's already the most used because any guy that made decent studies and know a little about OS know why linux is better. But, regarding the desktop market, people just buy what they know, what some company wants to sells. Here two solutions :
1- there is one distribution (ubuntu, mint, fedora...) that start creating ads, having a decent marketing campaign and making deals with manufacturers and some electronic shops to sell it.
2- Linux Foundation or some organisation like this one start putting money on bringing normies to Linux, advertising for all the distributions that exist.

You can sell something that doesn't work well, just look at windows or android. There's lot of issues with them, and yet they have the biggest market share on their domains.

That's just the first part.
>>
>>52564169
Either Mint or Arch would be fine by me. Both have great shitposting potential.
>>
>>52564103
>Cinnamon
>not god-tier
>>
>>52564272
Gentoo needs to be in there too somewhere.
>>
Abandon all hope. Let it die off and use windows like a normal human being.

Just a suggestion, you can stop being autistic anytime you want to. Though the sooner the better for everyone around you.
>>
>>52564266
Once you have users, you have to make it works.

A lot of issues with linux is that manufacturers and people that create the components (graphic cards, wifi, printers, etc.) doesn't do shit for linux, and this have to stop. We need them to fix most common problems a user can encounter.

Then for the other issues
http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

I don't remember if it is on it, but one thing that I find stupid is the package managers of linux.
All of them does the same job, but differently, forcing the devs to packages their programs for each distribution. That's retarded.
>>
thumbnails in the fucking GTK file picker without resorting to shitty KDE / broken AUR patch / drag and drop from file manager / other retarded workarounds
>>
>>52563987
Make shit that shouldn't take any of the user's time not take any time.

It's bullshit that I have to set up and configure my video driver to ridiculous levels only to end up with shit that still doesn't work after a week whereas on windows you just get the driver installed and it auto-configures everything for you perfectly, as it should. Why the fuck is it acceptable that every user needs to manually config all that shit, involving details he shouldn't even need to know about like backend libraries and crap?

Make config GUIs linked to the config files of specific programs a standard.

Having to edit text files with their own finnicky structure, layout, rules, .d parsing, etc etc in this day and age is bullshit. A simple GUI that (de)serializes the file(s) for you and presents everything visually is basic shit for any programmer to make, especially if they can already write the rest of whatever program they made.
>inb4 this is useless
I don't want to have to read half a manual explaining the inner structure of a given conf file just so I can do the most basic shit with it. A GUI makes all that unnecessary by presenting all possible options, validating input and displaying predicted results (like a commandline builder that has checkboxes for individual flags as opposed to making you read a long and headache-inducing list of those flags)

>>52564118
This. Stop fucking making 50 fucking thousand different distros with no worthwhile differences that usually boil down to just having a specific DE preinstalled.

Stop requiring the user to do low-level system shit he shouldn't be messing with in the first place. If windows can automate everything and make everything work by itself, why can't you faggots?
>>
>>52564376
I don't know what default file picker Cinnamon uses but it has thumbnails.

Mint-Cinnamon is the hero Linux needs, but Arch-tists get pissed over it because it's normie-friendly
>>
>>52564103
> using a DE and not a WM

One of the best things about linux is not having to have bloat, yet people install bullshit like gnome anyway
>>
File: 1453489050592.png (65 KB, 602x500) Image search: [Google]
1453489050592.png
65 KB, 602x500
>>52564199
got your back there
>>
>>52564376
Ubuntu has a PPA with patched glib/gtk2 and Fedora has a dedicated COPR.
Just enable and install.

Arch is shit and will be, there's no saving it.
>>
>>52564336
>All of them does the same job, but differently, forcing the devs to packages their programs for each distribution. That's retarded.
Developers don't package software for distrubtions, maintainers do.
The standard way to publish your software is to pack the files (source code, or binaries, if you're evil) in compressed tar archives (preferably with xz).
>>
>>52564409
Cinnamon was created by Arch users you fucking idiot.
Also, he's speaking about the file dialogs in gtk2 and gtk3. They have thumbnails of the size 16x16 or something like that, which is useless.
>>
>>52564436
Why exactly is arch shit, sir?
>>
>>52564483
>Cinnamon was created by Arch users you fucking idiot.
No, it's a Linux Mint project.
>>
>>52564459
well, I heard something different.
I heard that developers actually packages their software for the distributions they wanted. Of course, if a distribution wants to provide the software they can make the package themselves.
>>
File: 117461.png (190 KB, 800x928) Image search: [Google]
117461.png
190 KB, 800x928
With a gun to put it out of its misery.

Linux kernel alone has had twice as many unique CVE's found and issued against it than entire Windows XP operating system has.
>>
>>52563987
1Remove all but 3 distros with no more GODDAMNED forking. No more several hundred distros ever again. Physically threaten anyone who tries to make another distro.

Seriously if you hear somebody speak about making yet another distro punch them in the genitals and do not stop until they pass out.

Stop wasting valuable resources on fucking vanity

2 remove competing standards that exists for no good reason. Like Wayland and mir. Goddamned pick one and stop wasting valuable resources on what amounts to fucking vanity.

3 No more fucking DE!!! Jesus make themes or something! And this is coming from a guy who loves fluxbox and other oddball DE but its a serious waste of FUCKING resources that can be used on other more important shit. Instead we get more vanity projects!

4 either create a windows style install wizard or begin a culture of straight up vile hatred for anyone that makes a program without an installer. This shit has got to fucking stop at any cost. This is the main reason adoption rates are so pathetic.

AND NOBODY CARES HOW EASY IT IS ON THE FUCKING COMMAND LINE.

5 Start actually listening to the complaints and taking them seriously. Every person who criticized Linux is often telling you what needs to get fixed. LISTEN. It's not that 'normies' are stupid and do not know better.

It's that YOU are stupid, hopelessly arrogant and can't listen.
>>
>>52564483
>Cinnamon was created by Arch users you fucking idiot.

You will never be this desparate to attach yourself to a more successful distro
>>
File: 1453321130149.png (100 KB, 639x481) Image search: [Google]
1453321130149.png
100 KB, 639x481
>>52564600
>Linux kernel alone has had twice as many unique CVE's found and issued against it than entire Windows XP operating system has.
lmao, if you want to shill you are better off focusing on the >muh photoshop arguments
>>
>>52564581
Some developers do, but most don't. Mostly, commercial software is packaged this way.
The problem is mostly that it's complicated to get your software added to repos on most distros.
On e.g. Arch, you can drop it on AUR, so it's easy.
>>
>>52564418
ty F:am
>>
>>52564637
Would be nice if exploits were split into privilege escalation, remote code execution etc.
Most exploits on Linux are useless if you don't log in to the box.
>>
>>52564637
I love how some buttmad freetard had to create that FUD (you can tell it's done in gimp by the shitty fonts and quality and emotional distress in the text) because the truth was shown on the CVE lists.
Did you really think you could get away with counting every MS full OS (even outdated ones) and comparing it to just the Linux kernel?
Fact is Linux Kernel has twice as many as Windows XP.
>>
>>52564696
>Would be nice if exploits were split into privilege escalation, remote code execution etc.
They are. Just look into the links in the image.

cvedetails.com/vendor/26
cvdetails.com/vendor/33

Majority of Microsoft's vulnerabilities: code execution.
Majority of Linux's vulnerabilities: denial of service

Now take a wild guess which one is more harmful
>>
>>52564623
>1Remove all but 3 distros with no more GODDAMNED forking. No more several hundred distros ever again. Physically threaten anyone who tries to make another distro.
Or you could not be autistic and ignore things you don't like.
Who is there to decide which distros are valid?
>4 either create a windows style install wizard or begin a culture of straight up vile hatred for anyone that makes a program without an installer. This shit has got to fucking stop at any cost. This is the main reason adoption rates are so pathetic.
You're fucking retarded. Installers are a half-assed solution for lack of package management. Please keep this shit away from UNIX.
>>
>>52564723
>b-b-b-b-b-b--but
lmao
>>
>>52564727
And this is why you continue to fail. Enjoy never being relevant.

This is also why we HATE Linux people so enjoy that too.

You cannot force something we do not want down our throats. Fuck your repositories.
>>
>>52564727
And your package installers are awful. Just plain outright awful.
>>
>>52564725
Code execution, of course.
>>
>>52563987
OP what is Loonix? Do you mean GNU/Linux?

If so then I would say we need to migrate more packages (including the kernel) to GPLv3 and get more serious about GPL enforcement. A lot of the problems you see now are a result of proprietary developers fucking things up,
>>
>>52564770
You don't want installers either, trust me. A good OS has a happy middle ground between walled garden appstore bullshit and wild west install scripts that dump shit all over your hard drive. Debian and Fedora are both actually pretty good at this.
>>
>>52564817
GPL3 is a cancer to the Linux platform. Linux would be good of GNU never got popular, a company that brags about lines of code over quality of code.
>>
>>52564770
>And this is why you continue to fail. Enjoy never being relevant.
It's not a popularity contest.
>This is also why we HATE Linux people so enjoy that too.
I honestly enjoy retards hate linux.
>You cannot force something we do not want down our throats.
Who is forcing anything down your throat? I'm not.
>Fuck your repositories.
What are your objections about software repositories?
>>
>>52564786
What package installers?
>>
>>52564855
Please go shill somewhere else.
>>
>>52564725
>Denial of service
Oh no, my system is down, gotta restart
>Code execution
Oh no, this guy executed his shitty program in my machine, now he deleted everything, i loss my billion dollar files
>>
>>52564857
Actually yes it is a popularity contest dumbass. Without a user base you don't get commercial software. You need numbers for sales.
>>
>>52564857
If we want software we will buy it or go to your download page. We do not trust other methods.
>>
>>52563987
Make it proprietary. Free shit always sucks.
>>
>>52564922
It's well known that GNU program GCC is harmful software. A non harmful alternative would be tcc.
>>
>>52563987
werks on my machine :^)
>>
>>52564929
We have an user base. More importantly, we have developers.
>You need numbers for sales.
How do you sale something that is free? Are you a Jew?
>>
>>52564969
Baby duck syndrome.
Also, who are "we"?
>>
>>52564980
TCC doesn't support any language besides C, doesn't support C99 or C11, doesn't support architectures besides x86 and has almost no optimization. If you want to be taken seriously, suggest Clang.
>>
>>52564817
>A lot of the problems you see now are a result of proprietary developers fucking things up,
Kek, this is what freetards actually believe.
>>
>>52564407
Programming and sysadmin is 90% terminal based on any platform, most of the time your using ssh anyway. Linux just doesn't have as much in the desktop department for normies such as yourself but for programming and sysadmin and actual computing it's extremely good.
>>
>>52565305
He might be a freetard but one must admit that proprietary developers are responsible of most issues with linux.
But yeah freetards should admit that their OS have some issues.
>>
>>52563987
RTFM
>>
GNU grows on Linux like a cancer so we need to ditch GNU and replace it with a decent userland system.
>>
Remove anything GNU
Replace Xorg with Wayland
Start using a single package type
Thumbnails and search in file picker
>>
>>52565642
>Replace Xorg with Wayland
Once Fedora 24 comes out, the dominos will start falling and it will become the default
>>
We make one DE actually worth shit. Thumbnails in the filepicker.
Make Blizzard port SC2 to GNU/Linux.

That's it.
>>
Scrap Linux. We need the Hurd.

We need to realize Stallman's dreams of a true GNU operating system
>>
>>52565820
Aren't you already dead from holding your breathe for thirty years already?
>>
>>52565820
you can't just scrap an entire group of packages like that man. think about the userbase first before your principles. KISS is more important than freedom to me.
>>
>>52565820
I have high doubts about something that they've been working on for a few decades and still haven't completed yet
>>
>>52563987
- games are only way to get the retarded gaymers
- more programs such as adobe and shit are only ways to get people who need programs for job
- easier to use than mac or window and comes preinstalled on computer is only way to get normies

Looks like linux will never be "fixed"
>>
>>52565422
Jesus fucking christ you autistic fuck.
The question was how to make loonix user-friendly for normies and retards, which tge guy you're replying to did perfectly.

You can still have your cli you fucking faggot.
>>
>>52563987
GNU/Linux will nerver be fixed because it's never Interesting.
In the early life of GNU/Linux Sun was doing more interesting things.
In the late 90's and early 2000's Microsoft-NTKernel were doing much more interesting things.
Now OSX and iOS are much more interesting than GNU/Linux.
GNU/Linux has always been a poorfag hobbyist OS and never interesting.
>>
>>52565919
Normie distros are already easier to use if you don't have baby duck.
>>
>>52566123
> if you don't have baby duck
Wait what
>>
>>52566206
I meant baby duck syndrome.
>>
>>52566206
>not having a baby duck
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.