[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't they make phones with built in solar panels like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: images(3).jpg (6 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
images(3).jpg
6 KB, 240x180
Why don't they make phones with built in solar panels like they do calculators
>>
>>52545806
a phone uses orders of magnitude more power then your calculator
>>
>out of batteries
>using the solar panel
>put your finger over the solar panel
>calculator turns off in 10 seconds

ayyy
>>
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014ORUV2Q
>>
File: fat-angry-dude.jpg (18 KB, 286x274) Image search: [Google]
fat-angry-dude.jpg
18 KB, 286x274
>>52545846
>years ago in highschool
>out of batteries
>calculator works ONLY under sunlight or a fairly strong source of light
>all my mates fuck with me and put their hands over the solar panel to delete everything i'm doing
>>
Not a bad idea OP. Put a panel on the back of the phone, if just to supplement the battery life or charge it in emergency situations. Additional cost would be marginal.
>>
>>52545806
power draw
on the other hand, maybe e-ink readers could increase their battery life with solar panels on the bezels
it would be awesome to have e-ink reader that doesn't need to be charged if you're reading outside a lot
>>
>>52545806
Samsung's done it -- didn't pick up
>>
The amount of time it would be exposed to direct sunlight is minuscule so most phone companies don't bother. There are cases for phones I believe, but honestly it's better just to keep a small unfolding solar panel and a battery bank in your backpack or something because the collection area on something the size of a phone would charge it extremely slowly.
>>
>>52545961
Mobile phone with e-ink would look great, but it would last for months so you might forget to charge it when it suddenly turns of.
>>
>>52545897

Top kek.
>>
>>52545961
they already only need to be charged every other week. no need to improve if you ask me.
>>
Why don't vendors give supplementary lemons for power?
>>
>>52545806
not enough sunlight

too many casios were made in the 80s and 90s and that led to a global sunlight crisis
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.