[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to switch from winblows 10 to linux, is ubuntu the easiest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: download.png (5 KB, 240x191) Image search: [Google]
download.png
5 KB, 240x191
I want to switch from winblows 10 to linux, is ubuntu the easiest and most compatible distro to install?
>>
>calling windows "winblows"

yes, perfect for you kiddo
>>
don't
>>
Yes.
>>
>>52542232
Yes

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/where-would-we-be-without-ubuntu/
>>
>>52542232
>winblows
>wangblows
Underage
>>
>>52542271
>>52542306
JIDF detected
>>
ubuntu is very good,but i myself didnt liked it.its a resource hog,copies the UI of OSX ,and is very restricted in terms of customisation(left bar cant be moved etc...). i'd rather advise the use of linuxmint cinnamon edition.(and its more windows like which is good for a beginner)
>>
Ubuntu is good but I'm a straight Debian person. Use Ubuntu first then as you get used to Linux move up a little bit if you want.
>>
Ubuntu
Xubuntu
Mint

All good choices for out of the box functionality
>>
>>52542448
Mint is great for Windows converts, as are some of the Ubuntu Flavors (Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, Lubuntu).

I personally love Unity though so standard Ubuntu is my favorite. I also love Ubuntu GNOME.
>>
>>52542507
Second Lubuntu was meant to be Kubuntu.
>>
just load the live cd, use it for a bit, see if you like it.
>>
>>52542232
Slackware w/xfce - as basic as you can get if you still want to learn.
>>
Honestly use Mint > standard Ubuntu. Ubuntu based, easy to use, and great design.
>>
File: 1397156098019.jpg (56 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
1397156098019.jpg
56 KB, 340x340
>>52542448
I messed up the grub on my installation so when I boot the grub menu doesn't come up and the only way to switch from Linux mint to windows 10 is to change the bios mode from legacy for Linux to uefi for windows,, is there any way to fix this? I mean it works but it is a pain to switch
>>
>>52542249

"Winblows" is standard /g/ terminology.
Get out faggot bully.
>>
Mint for starters, ubuntu is okeish, but unless you really love unity, mint is better and more user friendly !cinnamon is also far superrior to unity...
>>
>>52542232
Mint to be honest.
All the benefits of Ubuntu + some mint specific tools and a sane Desktop Environment.
>>
>>52542802
not without reinstall
>>
>>52542882
How do I do it with reinstall? Would I delete the Linux partitions and switch to uefi to install from? Last time I tried that it never worked, but that time I didn't use rufus to make the boot usb, I used pendrivelinux I think
>>
>>52542232
Ubuntu is alright (also look at the other buntus like xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu and ubuntu gnome), Mint as well. Find something you think looks great.

The good thing about ubuntu and mint is that everything works out of the box and you dont need to manually install drivers and shit.
>>
>>52543101
Search for boot-repair ppa.
>>
OP do yourself a favour http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/
>>
>>52542249
Don't be so rude, rajesh
>>
>>52542232
Consider using Mint or Elementary OS.
>>
>>52542804
I've seen wangblows at a ratio of at least 75:1. Macroshaft Wangblows is my favorite.
>>
>>52542802
boot into live image, update-grub
>>
My first distro was xubuntu, and I wiped my windows partition with heavy doubts. Never looked back. Shit is more simple than you think.
>>
Mint + Cinnamon will be the best to start out for a Windows convert. You get all the benefits of Ubuntu, with a better desktop than Unity.
>>
Is anyone using ubuntu mate? What do you think about it?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.