[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
window managers general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: windowmanager.png (54 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
windowmanager.png
54 KB, 1366x768
Is there such a thing as an out of the box "it just weeks" window manager? I am running openbox currently and I like it a lot but I feel as if it takes way too long to set up and configure, a stock openbox installation literally has nothing. I believe WMs are better than DEs most of the time but they take so fucking long to setup and so much skill to configure properly. There are so many features that just are not there right off the bat that should be like battery/power management tools, sound/audio tools, etc. I haven't used something like i3 or bspwm but those seem like they require a lot of setup before they can be actually functional as well. What the shit /g/?
>>
You say
>I believe WMs are better than DEs most of the time
but then go on to describe a DE and the reason they exist. KDE is very good. Install it and stop worrying about what /g/ tells you to do.
>>
>>52538755
>battery/power management tools, sound/audio tools, etc.
Just install you're favorite of each of these and use them with you're shitty WM.
>>
>>52538796
There's hardly any basic skeleton or structure though to a finished environment in something like openbox, sure you should be able to change the skeleton as you please but there should be something there in the first place don't you think?
>>
>>52538873
No. It's a window manager. It manages windows.
>>
>>52538755
I3. One hundred percent. Works right out of the box with absolutely minimal configuration needed. (Alt vs Super key) If you do want to configure it, it's very easy to understand and add to it. Give it a shot, really.
>>
>>52538755
CLFSWM is what i use
>>
>>52539043
Am I being memed? Literally everyone runs arch+i3 and I can't tell if it's ironic or not
>>52539075
Literally wut?
>>
>>52539124
You're not being memed.
OP, I shit you not, I3 is a great WM. Try it. If you don't like it, uninstall it. It's really that simple.
>>
Don't fall for the tiling WM meme. They are nice as eye candy to take screenshots and post them on /g/, but they can't perform any task that they were not specifically set up to do, and will massively restrain your productivity.
Use a DE like a normal, non NEET person.
>>
hlwm is pretty nice but popup/dialog windows need more attention
>>
>>52538796
But then he can't rice it and post in desktop threads, which is the whole reason he's running Linux in the first place.
>>
File: bait.png (65 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
65 KB, 625x626
>>52539350
>>
>>52539350
>but they can't perform any task that they were not specifically set up to do
so they work as intended aren't a monstrous blob of shit?
>>
kwin.

almost as much features as pekwm + compositing but don't need to spend time configuring it.
>>
>>52539350
tiling wms are great on laptops where you'd want to avoid using the mouse

running dwm
i3 is a faggot
>>
>>52539124
i3 is baby's first tiling wm with only really ease of use going for it. Consequently it's main market it hipster twenteens who dont really need a tiling manager but want to appear like leet haxors. Mostly used with gaps for maximum rice (autism). So very much like Arch.

There are other much lighter twms (spectrwm, herbsluft, ratpoison...), but you will need to write scripts to pipe information to a bar or whatever to have functionality similar to a DE. This isnt that difficult with some reading but it is of course the opposite of "just werking."

tldr: use openbox if you want a standalone wm.
>>
>>52538755
I'm currently using bspwm. It doesn't require a lot of setup to get the wm running, but you have to take the time to make it the way you want it. What commands to use to set your background, to set your taskbar, your shortcuts, etc. Not hard though, just time consuming.
>>
>>52539823
Neato, I already like herbstluftwm but this might make it even better. Small windows do really get shafted sometimes; I've had a few dialog boxes that were pratically unusable till fullscreened but it's just a shortcut away.

>>52541514
This so much. Desktops benefit still in that it's nice to have applications take up available room by default instead of micromanaging window size all the time.
>>
>>52541527
>ease of use
>have to learn 648164373 keyboard shortcuts just to move or give focus to windows
WMfags ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>52543175
You only have to learn a few simple and intuitive ones. At least for dynamic tiling wms like dwm.
>>
>>52538755
literally never understood the point of ricing out your desktop with autism grade window managers. do you really need to spend 24 hours a day staring at pstree, a terminal window, and irc bullshit?
>>
>>52543863
People here only use their computer for shitposting and posting their riced out shit in desktop threads. Tiling WM are ideal for that.
Anyone who aims to be productive just uses a normal DE and snaps windows with their mouse or whatever.
>>
>>52543964
I don't really see the problem with a tiling wm in terms of productivity. All I'm doing on a de is setting up my windows to tile more or less to have a documentation next to my ide or whatever. What do I gain by having the ability to drag my windows around and have them hide beneath each other? I think a simple tiling wm with multiple work spaces sounds very productive?
>>
I prefer huytfgowm
>>
how well does i3 or bspwm do with multiple monitors?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.