[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GitLab = Open source GitHub = Closed source
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7
File: gitlab.png (11 KB, 1391x504) Image search: [Google]
gitlab.png
11 KB, 1391x504
Why are you still using GitHub? GitLab is actually open-source, the UI is cleaner, and you can have as many private repos as you want without paying.
>>
>>52536731
I actually host all of my personal code on my own server with GitLab CE.

GitLab's CEO has expressed solidarity with Github in regards to deleting repos for political reasons, so I won't use either service. Self hosted is the way to go.
>>
>>52536731
How can a web service be open source? That doesn't make sense at all.
>>
File: Ojcu7Ug.png (34 KB, 235x236) Image search: [Google]
Ojcu7Ug.png
34 KB, 235x236
>>52536788
>this guy
>>
>>52536764
>GitLab's CEO has expressed solidarity with Github in regards to deleting repos for political reasons, so I won't use either service. Self hosted is the way to go.

Can you link specifics on this?
>>
>>52536810
Please answer the question.
>>
>>52536956
There's code behind a web service
>>
>>52536974
And? Their product isn't the code, it's the service.
>>
File: 1453148834318.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1453148834318.png
296 KB, 649x649
>>52536999
>>
File: 1452028175937.gif (648 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1452028175937.gif
648 KB, 380x380
>>52536999
It's ok, I'm funposting too
>>
>>52536999

Their product is the CE/Enterprise editions of their software, which can be self-hosted and the source is accessible. However, GitHub enterprise doesn't allow you to hose your own instance of GitHub.

RETARD.
>>
>>52537032
That's GitLab's product. GitHub's product is a web service that lets you host git repositories on their servers. I don't see why open sourcing code is relevant at all.
>>
>>52536867

I hate mentioning gamergate, but it is what it is.

After gamergate got banned from Github, the GitLab twitter account invited them to use their service. Not too long afterward GitLab's CEO removed their repo. Not for any specific violation of the terms of use, but rather because GitLab has the discretion to do so regardless.

https://archive.is/d1Sd7#selection-10397.0-10405.135

>You are correct that hosting repo's on GitLab.com is at the discretion of GitLab B.V. Public repo's that are not respectful in our opinion might be deleted without notice. This is clearly stated in the terms.
>Private repo's are held to another standard but might still be terminated. We advise anyone to self host if they want to be in control.

Businesses should have the power to choose who they do business with, but I also don't want my personal code getting deleted because I disagree with an SJW somewhere else on the internet, so I self-host.
>>
>>52537053

You don't see why a platform based around hosting open-source projects not having its source code available is relevant? T
>>
>>52537080
GitHub isn't a platform around hosting open source projects. In fact, most of their revenue comes from hosting private repositories, which are obviously not open source.
>>
>>52537095

You are just arguing semantics. I'm not saying GitHub should have to open their source, they can do whatever the fuck they want, but I reserve my right to criticize them for this just as they have the right to do it. The fact of the matter is, whenever GitHub censors someone, you do not have any recourse at that point; it is their hardware, their servers, their say no matter what, whereas GitLab can be self-hosted on your own hardware and you can completely control it due to it being open-source.
>>
>>52536731
Why GitLab instead of gogs?
>>
>>52537117
Are you planning on self hosting your own project? Then use whatever platform you want. Opemn source doesn't even matter in this case. There are many closed source git hosting platforms. Do you want someone else to host your project? Then why does it fucking matter if the host does not release their internal software? You are looking for a SERVICE.
>>
>>52536731
>Ruby
>>
>>52537143

You are retarded.

SaaS can still open-source their software, there are plenty of projects that do this, INCLUDING GITLAB.
>>
>>52537208
You still haven't provided with a single advantage of having the code behind a service be open source. The code that 4chan runs on is not released to the public? Why are you still using this site. I heard reddit is open source. Maybe you should go there?
>>
>>52537054
SJWs will claim that this is not censorship.
>>
>>52537208
I hate to say it but other anon is right. There is no point in a web service being open source, because what source code they give might not necessarily be whats running on their servers.
>>
>>52537284
>There is no point in an application being open source, because what source code they give might not necessarily be whats compiled into the distributed binaries.
>>
>>52537232

The advantage is that people can vet the codebase of their service themselves and the community can actively contribute to bugfixes and patching security vulnerabilities? For example, I would not trust a service with any of my important data if they were rolling their own unpublished encryption setups.

>>52537284

Obviously there is no comprehensive way to be 100% sure they are using the open-sourced version of their software on their servers, but there are various means of auditing server responses to check if it is behaving the way it should if it were running the open-source version of the software.
>>
File: Laughing-Meme-Gif-07.gif (478 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Meme-Gif-07.gif
478 KB, 500x375
>>52537030
Fucking lol
>>
>>52537337
GitLab can easily put up some nice, friendly looking code up, and then secretly send everything you upload to the NSA.
>>
>>52537359

Yeah, so can any service. We shouldn't use computers at all, because someone could secretly be doing something bad! Nice argument!
>>
Isn't the libre solution to host your code on your own server?
>>
>>52537372
No. I'm saying that there's no reason to believe that GitLab is inherently more secure than GitHub just because they put up some random code for others to see.
>>
>>52537394
Your self hosted repos _are_ inherently more secure than a cloud service.
>>
>>52537380
Gitlab is hosting from your own server.

It is basically an http interface that accepts pull requests on top of your git repo

with that said, they do host somewhat on gitlab.com
>>
>>52537394

It isn't "random code" and your argument is shit, you have no more evidence that they are running some top secret government honeypot than I do that they aren't except you are the one making the claim and the burden of proof is on you. Do you have any evidence? No, ok, fuck off.
>>
>>52537434
You're the one that first claimed that a company with open sourced code is better, so the burden of proof is on you.
>>
Does GitLab have CoCs?
>>
>>52537447

I claimed the company is better because it is open-source because of various reasons, including the fact the community can contribute to bug fixes and patching security vulnerabilities. Also user's can make informed decisions on if they think the software is stable and secure by looking themselves.

You claimed that the service could potentially be running code other than what they claim, based on NOTHING.
>>
>>52537449
Wow that's phallic. Stop triggering me.
>>
>>52537306
This is also true, install gentoo
>>
>>52537449
Yes, but it's not one of the insanely sjw ones

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#code-of-conduct
>>
>>52537474
But nobody actually reads the source lololol
>>
notabug.org
>>
Why do you guys have such a hard on for Open Source?
>>
>>52537054
>I self-host my git repos

do you have to setup port forwarding/ssh to do this or nah?
>>
Why are people complaining about CoC's when you host it yourself.

Don't tell me you use GitLab so they can host it.
lol
>>
>>52537095
Just because you are not allowed to see their github repo, does not mean it is not licensed under the GPL you entitled little shit
>>
>>52537143
If it's closed source and you're starting a new project that you'd like to make money out of, the last thing you want is for the product you're using to be either insecure or send your code to somebody.

If it is open source you would be able to see that. Now fuck off
>>
>>52537681
If you're doing it locally on your machine, no.
If you're doing it on a machine that you'd like to access remotely, obviously yes.

Digital ocean has a one-click gitlab VM you can build that will run you $10 a month if you're not experienced with running a server.
>>
>>52537359
You don't understand how open source, programming or even software development works. Stop posting and save yourself further embarrassment
>>
>>52537394
It is because you are more in control. I.e. if it fucks up, you could've prevented it but were too stupid to do so
>>
>>52537567
You're actually fucking retarded I feel sorry that the anon you're replying to had to deal with a moron like you
>>
To the stupid fuck in this thread that can't into open vs closed source

Der Medienkritiker Hans Hoff gibt diesem Umstand eine massenmediale Dimension: "Es ist nicht schlimm, dass sich heutzutage jeder Depp öffentlich äußern kann. Das ist gut für eine Demokratie. Es ist indes schlimm, dass heutzutage jeder Depp ernst genommen wird, dass so getan wird, als wäre noch die abstruseste Theorie eine Meldung wert."
>>
>>52537806
Digital Ocean is known for shutting down VM without actually checking when they get an email complaining of abuse, whether spam, copyright violation, or racist content.

Trolls have successfully wiped sites hosted on Digital Ocean using this method in the past.
>>
>>52538048
What other dirt-cheap VPS provider would you recommend?
>>
>>52538048
i'll need source for that
>>
>>52538084
I haven't heard of such things happening to VMs hosted on Vultr.

But, you get what you pay for. Cheap means the support techs won't really care about keeping your business.
>>
self hosting
also gitgud is pretty good but who knows how many time are they going to host
>>
>>52537841
So angry grrrrrr
>>
>>52536974
How do you know the code they are running is the code they open-source?
>>
>>52536731
NeetCo.de though
>>
>>52536731

I have two gitlab servers. It's fucking great.
>>
I have Gitlab at work, so I set it up at home and use SSH forwarding to sync the servers up.

Shit's great.
>>
>>52538702
Have to add though, it's fucking retarded how a project's landing page doesn't list any files - and to view the files, you have to click on the filesize of the latest commit. What the fuck?
>>
>>52536731
I'll switch once Linus put the Linux kernel on it.
>>
>>52537554
That is a SJW CoC you stupid whore.
>>
You don't need a git host most of the time.

You can use git locally and rsync or git push to your own file server without any hosting bullshit. The only time I use a service is to patch or share.
>>
>>52539325
I said it wasn't insanely SJW. Like the one with the whole 'minorities only no white people' clause.
>>
>>52538757
There is a setting you can configure to make the landing page of your projects list files.
>>
>>52539473
And then my README.md doesn't appear.

Why not just use the layout of Github? It just werks.

Another annoying thing is you can't clone from the URL you visit in your browser, you have to use a special URL that's generated.
>>
>>52539557
The readme does appear though, below the file list, just like github.
>>
>>52537054
What the fuck does gamergate need a repo for?
>>
>>52537080
First it's used for both open and closed source projects and second I don't.
>>
File: 1429234426637.jpg (50 KB, 570x473) Image search: [Google]
1429234426637.jpg
50 KB, 570x473
VCS has only gone backwards, Gitlab doesn't have the features of VSS I used nearly a decade ago. That's fucking insane.
>>
>>52537306
No shit.
>>
>>52538084
vpsbg.eu/en
>>
>>52537807
How is he wrong?
>>
>>52539786
Buy yearly and there's a further discount. This is the most reliable host I've used. SJW-Proof guaranteed.
>>
>>52537337
>The advantage is that people can vet the codebase of their service themselves

Doesn't happen, ever. Massive multinational companies don't even "vet" software their entire operation depends upon.

>the community can actively contribute to bugfixes and patching security vulnerabilities

Again doesn't happen, even tools hundreds of thousands of programmers depend on to deploy their software won't get more than a couple of insignificant patches.

See: robovm; they cracked recently after years upon years of nobody helping them maintain a massive effort so they closed sourced that shit. JkDefrag did too.
>>
Because no one use gitlab. It ends here.
>>
>>52538301
You can run it on your own server and get near identical results?
Maybe they do more than they are telling people, but you don't have to use their servers
>>
File: Back To Reddit.jpg (25 KB, 482x526) Image search: [Google]
Back To Reddit.jpg
25 KB, 482x526
>>52539451
It doesn't matter how you phrase it, stop defending this shit. Actually pic related.
>>
>>52538092
People won't spoonfeed you information readily available on Google. Since I'm not the guy you're quoting, I'll provide one (1) free Google: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=Digital+Ocean#safe=off&q=Digital+Ocean+spam
>>
host your own

GitLab CE is downloadable and opensource

wtf is wrong with you people?
>>
>>52536788
how do you think your Facebook page is made? by Chinese kids who have to write HTML really fast every time you update your little status?
>>
>>52541081
kek
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.