[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's your favorite DE/WM? Currently using openbox but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: desktopenvironmentheader.jpg (26 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
desktopenvironmentheader.jpg
26 KB, 620x300
what's your favorite DE/WM? Currently using openbox but it requires a lot of configuration to get it all fancy shmancy and highly functional and I might want to switch, gnome looks kind of nice
>>
i3 gaps atm

it looks fine to me as is. but if you do customize it, it's mostly just color schemes on terminals and frequently used programs to get it aesthetic.
>>
>>52536423
Just switched from LXDE with openbox to Xfce with Xfwm. God this is so much better.
>>
bspwm.

The configurability of it has made for an incredibly cozy WM.
>>
>>52536565
>running a tiling WM and wanting gaps

fucking end yourself mate
>>
>>52536423
I use KDE on Slackware because it werks.
>>
Just switched from awesome to i3, pretty happy with it. Just needs some more config now
>>
GNOME
>>
>>52536603
>trying to make your linux experience easier on the eye
I bet you use CLI faggot
>>
>>52536423
I use a combination of lxqt, lxde, xfce, and cinnamon.
>>
>>52536668
I'm sorry
>>
>>52536423
GNOME 3
>>
>>52536603
>so poor he can't spare any real estate for a more visually appealing desktop

hi, shitskin. people also use tiling windows for the convenience in using keyboard shortcuts, and to avoid awkward overlapping windows.

now crawl on back to your malaria ridden wife in your AIDS comforter, faggot.
>>
I use awesome with a stolen useless_gaps lua script.
>>
Gnome 3.
Fight me, faggots.
>>
>>52536795
WHAAAT?
GNOME 3? YOU FILTHY CASUAL; I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!
>>
>>52536423
Gnome 3. A lot of people seem to hate it but I find it comfy.
>>
>>52536423
I have openbox set up but after configuring the rc.xml file it gave me "openbox syntax error". now i can't open anything to undo the edting on the rc.xml. what to do?
>>
>>52536901
Learn command line operations
>>
>>52536901
Just open your file manager and navigate to the rc.xml. What do you mean you can't do anything?
>>
>>52536423
>a lot of configuration
Obkey obmenu obconf ? Thats not a lot
>>
>>52536945
i tried but i think it only made changes to the recovery mode.

>>52536962
when i start crunchbang i get greeated with the error message and after that I can't open the terminal or file manager.
>>
>>52537033
Nigga what the fuck did you do? Go into tty and use nano I guess.
>>
>>52537073
i try setting up chroium as a hot key "W-c" the same way iceweasel is set up as "W-w". apparently that was enough to fuck up the whole thing.
>>
>>52537121
That doesn't make any sense. I fuck up my rc.xml most of the time I edit something, but it doesn't magically nuke away my terminal or file manager.
>>
File: mfw out of weed.gif (111 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
mfw out of weed.gif
111 KB, 200x200
>>52536664
>>52536729
>hurr durr it looks cool
>ricing
>>
>>52537144
stfu doper baby
>>
>>52536423
i3 is pretty incredible
Once you set it up and get used to it it's just so efficient.
>>
>>52537073
>>52537131

going to give the tty a try a again wish me luck.
>>
Why does everything in gnome have to be so large, title bars are massive, icons are massive, buttons are massive...wtf
>>
I use KDE on Slackware because it werks.
>>
>>52536423
MATE with Arch
>>
Arch and Cinnamon
>>
Unity
>>
My favorite is DE is KDE . I gave gnome 3 a chance for a few months before also trying cinnamon. Gnome 3 felt really polished but it was annoying to use. I'm giving cinnamon a go currently and I heard it was really easy to customize. Anyone here have anything good to say about cinnamon?
>>
>>52538450
Yeah cinnamon is the best. Arch idles at 450MB RAM usage with it and if you like Windows setup. It's akin to that, and makes for an easy transition.
>>
>>52536423
gnome

>>52538422
>arch fags being elitist cunts
>>
Currently Cinnamon. I am thinking of switching to i3 or something else on my laptop though.
>>
>>52536423

xfce. easiest to configure and make it look good while being lightweight.
>>
anyone else here using 2bwm
its pretty resource-intensive and buggy at time, but it's comfy af
>>
CDE/Motif
I know GNOME is suppose to be better, but, you know what they say, old habits, they die hard.
>>
>>52536423
If you care about the aesthetics and usability and have good enough specs to not worry about an extra mb of ram, gnome is simply the best. No contest
>>
>>52536423
KDE, because I like functionality and actual customization of my desktop. It blows the fuck out of any other DE.
>>
Haskellfag here.
Xmonad.
>>
WindowMaker
>>
KDE. I've been using it since version 2. It's always been ugly by default, but I like Kate as my default text editor, and most of the other KDE programs. I just wish Calligra had .doc support, then maybe I would think of dumping LibreOffice.
>>
GNOME on my desktop, MATE on my laptop.
>>
>>52536598

nigga this, bspwm is excellent
>>
>>52536565
literally why gaps, wasted space triggers my autism so hard
>>
On XFCE rn but the multiple monitor support fucking sucks. Moving to KDE soon.
>>52536820
>>52536835
The unmovable horizontal toolbar fucking triggers me
>>
I liked openbox but it kept crashing for some reason. I'd rather use fvwm.
>>
KDE all the way for me.
It's not that bloaty once it's set up, got it running on my old x220 with no problems
>>
File: zGBIU11.gif (1 MB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
zGBIU11.gif
1 MB, 500x334
>>52540731
Wellcome to KDE anon
If you see issues, just turn off the fancy desktop effects: Alt+Shift+F12
>>
Plasma because I don't enjoy Gnome like DE's or jewnity. Also qt and gtk* apps look the same which is all I really care about. Tried tiling wms for a while but I ended up staring at ncmpcpp and config files for way too long.
>>
>>52540849
Still haven't decided on a distro to put it on however. Fedora would be fine, but I was also thinking Arch. There's an Arch derivative called Chakra that's supposedly very KDE-centric, but is it actually solid or is it just another Memejaro?
>>
File: tumblr_nbop58J0CQ1sgndw9o1_500.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbop58J0CQ1sgndw9o1_500.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>52540935
Don't know about chakra, they restrict themselves from gtk softwares(?)
Arch is the one I'd recommend if it is not a server.
Also, manjaro has improved quite a bit and actually is taking security more seriously. They fixed the latest zero day vulnerability whereas Arch hasn't yet. (If you are running the ck kernel it should be okay).
>>
>>52540985
Will look into it, thanks. In return, I won't criticize you over the shitty anime you insist on posting.
>>
File: Chino A Best.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Chino A Best.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>>52541079
filename
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.