[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mpv/ - do not use it, it's so shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: step01part01.png (15 KB, 499x387) Image search: [Google]
step01part01.png
15 KB, 499x387
The only one setup for perfect video playback:
- https://imouto.my/download/lav-filters-megamix-32-bit/
- https://imouto.my/download/lav-filters-megamix-x64/

You can choose your player and there are some madvr presets.
>>
File: icon_hires.png (16 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
icon_hires.png
16 KB, 512x512
You can watch youtube streams too, just like mpv with youtube-dl.
>>
Everyone here in 4chan know that madvr is better and that mpv can't beat madvr on windows.
It is by design, mpv will never run with full direct3d.
Maybe vulkan in 5 or 6 years but it will never run as smooth as madvr.
Now mpv is open source and free, madvr will be free this year but madshi will make a paid release.
>>
>>52534703
I have mpv perfectly tuned and it's fucking beautiful on all platforms.

Care to explain what makes madvr fundamentally better?
>>
>>52536077
not op, but madvr provides better quality than traditional evr.

These benefits are extremely minor.

MPC is a better player in general.
>>
>>52535393
What is that paid release about?
>>
it's for windows only, gg
>>
>>52534703
>do not use it, it's so shitty
gee anon, care to back up your claims?
why is mpv "shitty?"
>>
File: 1427805477963.jpg (40 KB, 493x248) Image search: [Google]
1427805477963.jpg
40 KB, 493x248
1. One retard double clicked the mpv icon.
2. Nothing happend.
3. He created a thread about how shitty mpv is.
4. Other retards with same experience reply.
5. Not being able to run mpv, they go back to MPC.
6. Magically they find out MPV is superior.
7. A community of retards who can't use a simple program without GUI is born.
8. They're called "Windows Users".
>>
>>52536753
*MPC
>>
Does this work with Livestreamer?
>>
>>52538289
mpv doesn't need livestreamer to play streams
>>
mpv gets me 99% of the way there, is free, and works identically across platforms.

oh, and it's a single binary. no weird overcomplex shit with the system split 5 different ways.

It's funny, the way winfags criticize linfags about overcomplication and outdated UIs would make you think that mpv was the windows player and MPC+madvr the linux one.
>>
but mpv just werks
what are the advantages that mpv doesn't have?
>>
>>52538329
>works identically across platforms.
Not true at all. Try smooth motion on Windows.

>it's a single binary
You can probably make a static build of MPC-HC too.

The mpv overlay UI is complete garbage.
>>
MPC-HC is just so ugly, it looks like you're running windows 95 while using it.
>>
>>52538380
>complaining about mpv's UI
>but somehow MPC is okay
what the fuck
>>
>>52538430
MPC-HC's UI is ugly, but it works much better.
>>
>>52538380
mpv's overlay UI is fine if you take 2 seconds to memorize the key shortcuts behind commonly used functions.

Also, mpv's overlay can be molded to your desires even if you're not a programmer, which MPC definitely can't do.
>>
>>52538380
>The mpv overlay UI is complete garbage.
Do you understand what's the goal of mpv's UX design at all? The UI is not necessary at all, that's what the simplified hotkeys are for if you need to do an action.
>>
>>52538408
why the fuck are you paying attention to the ui at all in a fucking video player?
>>
>>52538439
how?
I used MPC-HC for years and one of the main reasons I switched to mpv is because the UI is much more intuitive.
No more long context menus, no more ugly grey bars, no more cycling through viewing modes to get a minimalist window, videos always open at the correct minimum vertical resolution I set, webms and only webms loop by default.
mpv just feels like a native video player is supposed to feel, MPC-HC never did that for me.
>>
>>52538475
maybe because MPC doesn't automatically hide it's UI, so you have to switch it back and forth in viewing modes.

If MPC has a worse UI and a worse feature set, why would anyone still use it?
>>
>>52538476
Have you every tried to seek using the mpv seek bar? No volume controls. By default it is small and almost unusable if the video isn't large.

MPC-HC has a minimal mode, even more so than mpv. Supports hotkeys just the same. What context menu entries do you even need to get to? Especially if you use hotkeys.

I suppose it lacks loop functionality based on file type.
>>
>>52538541
>Have you every tried to seek using the mpv seek bar?
yes.
actually that's one of the things I like about mpv, it seems to seek through video a lot faster than MPC.
Minimal mode for MPC is shit because you have to cycle to it.
mpv has a similar mode, but I don't need to use it because the standard window is minimal enough.
I tend to not even use keybinds, I just use the OSD and can access everything I need without going through menus.

I would not have switched to mpv if it weren't for the fact that it just works so much better from a usability standpoint.
I
>>
i download mpv, i think to self "is good". hour later, "no" machine full of virus, empty bank account and mother die from ill

i use mpc, i am happy
>>
>>52536753

I did exactly this, although I didn't start the thread

Ended up going back to MPC as a result, but evidently I am a newfag as I had no idea these madVR filters existed

How do you get it started?
>>
>>52534703
>windows
>not on osx master race
no wonder you have problems running a basic program
>>
Now, only if somebody were to build a mpv.conf creator.
>>
>>52536753
But mpv has a gui.
>>
>>52538664
Someone on /g/ was building one using Qt. Not sure what happened to it.
>>
>>52538700
IMHO Qt is a little heavy for something as simple as a config editor (remember, OS X and Windows don't have Qt just lying around to take advantage of). A tiny statically compiled wxWidgets application would be more than sufficient.
>>
>>52538380
You literally can't, because DirectShow
>>
>>52538750
If you only need to show a few GUI widgets and generate text based on their state, why not just make a web form with some JS? Seriously, even with all the deserved flak webcancer gets, it has everything this needs and will run on basically everything.
>>
>>52535393
Well MPDN is way better than madvr
>>
Plex Media Player Uses MPV, It's great.
>>
>>52540009
Too expensive and less features than kodi...
>>
>>52539988
Not maintained anymore, devs finally have fulltime job.
>>
>>52538289
Yes
>>
>>52534703
just compile it yourself using mingw

>>52539379
>DirectShow
just use direct3d vo instead of directx
>>
>>52538700
Sadly the development stopped. I don't know why either.

If anyone wants to use it, it can be found here: https://github.com/haasnhoff/mpvconfigurator
>>
Last post >Posted by ranpha on 16th August 2015

It's this shit eve up to date? otherwise it would be completely worthless.
>>
>>52541103
It's alive, Zachs still upadte MPDN. You y be mistaken. https://www.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1736393
>>
>>52538408
I don't like ugly UI's, but to be honest, I love MPC-HC's UI for some reason.

It feels snappier and simpler than any other player, and it just werks so well.
>>
>>52538430
There are 3 modes for MPC UI though.

Not complaining about mpv, it werks on windows too. I use mpc because it creates playlist by just drag and drop files. You can evencustomize stuff, but some fags don't care at all about it anyways.
>>
>>52538635
what drives people to shitpost this badly

it's not like they're trying to troll someone - it's like they became the meme themselves
>>
>>52539467
Because HTML, CSS, and JS are digital asshole and having to open a bloated-as-fuck browser window to tweak a tiny conf file is even stupider than building a tiny config program with a huge UI toolkit.
>>
>>52534703
>using presets

All you need is MPCHC with internal filters, madvr and 15 settings to set right.
>>
why do you people complain about UI in a video player?
Seek bar and options menu, what else do you need?
>>
>>52546670
because UI isn't hard to make it look nice/organized/modern so why not
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.