[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Work for a company that contracts with a VERY large restaurant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Work for a company that contracts with a VERY large restaurant chain. They still run XP on all their in store systems, even the system that processes credit cards. How have they not been hacked yet and every bit of credit card data stolen?
>>
>>52530745
because they are lucky and potentially have good user/access control

now go back to washing the dishes and watching the deep fryer
>>
Store systems are pretty linear and easy to monitor.
>>
MS is still providing security updates for POS versions of WinXP until April 2019.
>>
also possible: they have been, but just don't know it yet
>>
>>52531640
hey! windows xp is not a piece of shit!! you take that back
>>
>>52531640
this.

I think unlike the newer versions of PoSReady, the XP edition doesn't appear to be branded as "PoSReady", it's just stripped down i think.

The Windows 7 version has a screensaver etc saying "Windows PoSReady 2009" or something
>>
File: 1452107666584.png (45 KB, 578x712) Image search: [Google]
1452107666584.png
45 KB, 578x712
with microsoft wanting to shit all over previous versions of windows once their new shiny os comes out its going to cause a lot of companies to stay clear from microsoft.

its not worth the investment to invest millions into new hardware / training / software / operating system just to toss it all into the garbage two years later when microsoft shits a new turd.

microsoft right now might be bending over backwards kicking and screaming for these companies by continuing to allow updates for older versions, but just like what microsoft has done with "commercial / mainstream" windows, they will be doing it with enterprise / businesses.

microsoft knows they can, because mac and linux are not a threat to the corporate world for the end user. mac has zero corporate software outside of "office" and apple has turned their back and gave enterprise the finger a long time ago, and linux for the end user side is lol no office suite. no, libreoffice, or whatever the fuck its called these days is no replacement for office and its .doc / .docx format. linux shall only serve the server / back end side of things.
>>
>>52530745
I needed to make a wire transfer the other day, went to the bank, gave all the details and then cashier asked me to quickly check on the screen if everything correct... Yep, you guessed it right, win xp, and this is a major bank in the uk
>>
>>52531640
The odds of someone actually applying patches are so slim that it isn't even worth mentioning.
>>
>>52532405
Yep. Many, if not all or most, bank machines in Canada run on WinXP as well.

>>52531640
>providing updates until April 2019.
Hmm.... me thinks your info is wrong:

http://www.scmagazineuk.com/cash-machines-in-malware-risk-as-embedded-windows-xp-reaches-end-of-life/article/457788/
>>
>>52530745
>tfw no food
>>
>>52531964
PoS
>Point of Sale
>>
>>52530745
Yeah. McDonalds is kind of funny that way.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.