[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't music sold on sd cards instead of CDs? Movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2016-01-20-09-22-39.png (470 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-20-09-22-39.png
470 KB, 1440x2560
Why isn't music sold on sd cards instead of CDs? Movies and games too? Disks should just be obsolete by now.
>>
Manufacturing
>>
>>52527441
What exactly do you mean?
It costs less to make CDs? It wouldn't matter if you stop making them. Then just have sd card players. It'd be pretty schway walking around with a pocket full of sd cards.
>>
>>52527519
>schway
i think reddit or fuck-my-asshole-infinite-chan would be better suited to your tastes
>>
>>52527559
>poorfag detected
Reddit didn't invent the word, you faglord
>>
File: Autismo.png (24 KB, 695x556) Image search: [Google]
Autismo.png
24 KB, 695x556
>price of a CD
Less than a penny
>Price of SD card
Lodes n lodes
>>
>>52527633
You're telling me the price of an SD card small enough to hold only ten songs is expensive? You're also telling me that an SD card costs alot to make?
>>
>>52527663
Well how much does it cost to produce a ~1gb SD card and then process it to contain the data you want?

How much overhead costs do you have for that? How much for material? What's the throughput time?

I suppose CD as a medium wins.
>>
>>52527345
costs less to copy the music onto a disc than onto an sd card
>>
>>52527717
A 16 gb sd card costs like 6 USD. How much of that is used to cover the cost of making that? That should be enough to hold one game.
>>
>>52527753
>>52527663
Anon, you just might have brain damage. Please apply yourself.
>>
>>52528239
All I'm saying is that it's not that much more and overall would be a way to get rid of cds
>>
>>52527345
Has someone found a way to make non-CD (SD) that can be easily DRMed?
That won't lose data easily/are trusted not to lose data easily?
Do we have all the machines that'll make the SDs as cheapely as the CDs already?
Do the consumers asking for SDs and already only use the devices to listen to music that use only SDs and not CDs at all?
Are SDs already in the market and eating up the market share of CDs?

Is OP an underage teen who thinks large scale manufacturing and distribution is totally like how he pirates individual songs and wants to share with his possible future friends?
Only the last question may be a Yes.
>>
File: 1433464928119.jpg (36 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1433464928119.jpg
36 KB, 720x540
>>52527345
>hmm yes
>>
Because small, mostly American children would swallow them and then their larger American parents would sue the companies. Nintendo had to fight many DS related lawsuits.
>>
>>52528466
THIS RIGHT HERE IS THE ONLY LEGIT REASON SO FAR ALL THAT MARKETING SHIT IS AN OVER SITE
>>
>>52529395
Caps makes you look like a retard.
And your opinion too.
>>
>>52528274
They don't give a fuck about getting rid of CDs, retard. They want to sell music on the cheapest possible platform that people are willing to buy.

Also, buying music on an SD card would be fucking annoying. No one would carry around loose SD cards in their car and swap them out when they want to listen to something else. They'd lose that shit immediately. At that point they'd just rip it and put it on their phone, then realize they could have just bought it online instead.

If you wanna get rid of discs, just wait for internet based music services to kill them off soon.
>>
>>52527663
CDs can be pressed by the thousands in a machine and they're made out of plastic and aluminum foil, there's no way to make SD cards match that price and production speed.
Also, SD cards are the most unreliable storage media since the floppy disc. The return rates would be horrifying.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.