[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were the weed-out courses (those responsible for many dropping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: big_oh_graphs.png (29 KB, 936x348) Image search: [Google]
big_oh_graphs.png
29 KB, 936x348
What were the weed-out courses (those responsible for many dropping out) at your uni?
>>
Any 'Intro to X' class. Even in non-science classes this is common. I was in some easy as fuck politics 101 sort of class last semester, and by the point of no return for dropping it we had half the class size.

I'm now in a politics 202 or whatever class, half as many people as that. And yet so many of them thought they were really into politics...
>>
>>52526576
Freshman Intro to Engineering, and Thermodynamics. Thermo almost weeded me out.
>>
>>52526576
Chemistry
>>
>>52526778
What do you plan to do with your pol degree?

>>52526576
Math, programming and basically any course which required you to actually do a lot of homework to pass, especially in the 1st semester.
>>
database management with sql server

but only because the professor literally put in 0 effort and i had to learn everything off microsofts shitty website
>>
I was a chemistry major for a while, and everything from chemistry 101 to organic was pure weedout.

Then I switched to compsci and the first 5 courses have been absolute babby shit, but I have always been much better at math and programming than at chemistry
>>
>>52526576
General Chemistry 2 and Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 were the weed-out coures at my undergraduate college and also at the institution I work/study at now as a graduate student in a research group.
>>
>>52526834
>programming
>homework
Pick one
>>
>Fundamentals of Pure Mathematics
>Intro to Real Analysis

Both fucked my shit up badly and I should never have taken them in retrospect.
>>
>>52526902
Come again?
>>
>>52526576
The second programming course. Lots of work plus this project where you had to develop an interactive Java application that did something and stored its state in a file.

This was before Stack Overflow was a thing, and almost before Googling existed. The other coursework mostly covered what needed to be done, but putting the pieces together seemed impossible for some people. There were definitely fewer brogrammer and girl coder types around after that.
>>
the theoretical computer science course where you have to find a proof that 3SAT reduces to Circuit-SAT and discuss complexity of similar problems

certainly got rid of all the "I just want to make a game" fags, even if it's an easy course
>>
>>52526576
>linear algebra
even though it wasn't that hard it weeded out pretty much all of the "I want to make video games" kids
>object oriented programming
this one nearly got me. not so much the OOP part, but they give a literal half-hour lecture on GUI programming using QT, including observer patterns, MVC-structure and action listeners all at once, and expected you to have a working scrabble game ready to weeks later for 40% of your grade
>computation theory
for everyone who wasn't yet weeded out the first year
>>
>>52527024
that sounds like my uni, TU Graz?
>>
>>52526576
None. The introductory classes at my university are a joke, and the department is getting extremely overcrowded with like 1500 students taking the intro to CS course and only requiring a 3.3 GPA to declare for the major.
>>
>>52527024
>have a working scrabble game ready to weeks later for 40% of your grade

In a group I suppose? With how much programming taught already?
>>
>>52526576
Classical mechanics. No, not the simple Newtonian but the one with Lagrange equations, Hamiltonian equations, Hamilton-Jacobi method and the likes.

It's not the hardest class but the first hard class though.
>>
>>52526576
Id probably have to say Calculus II, Physics I, Intro to Engineering Analysis.
>>
File: vZk0DBF_2.png (917 KB, 1364x804) Image search: [Google]
vZk0DBF_2.png
917 KB, 1364x804
>>52526884
>tfw rutgers requires chem 2 for all engineers EXCEPT ECE

feels good to be ECE.
>>
>>52527261
Cal 2 agreed. I tried it twice, made it halfway with a c and dropped it.
>>
>>52527312
Was it the series anon?
It's always the series.
>>
>>52526834
I plan on doing absolutely nothing with it. I'm going to college for free, so I'm doing what I wanted rather than doing something useful.
>>
>>52527331
I dont recall, i was making it through but badly so i figured id switch to something i just "get". I think it was a few chapters after tanks, volumes, etc.
>>
>>52527369
Ah. Okay. Sounds like a plan. A bad one, but a plan.
>>
>>52526576
Digital Technologies: from basic logic gates to VHDL
>>
>>52526576
2 semester of Physics and ODEs have done their job. They weren't even that hard. It's just that people stopped making effort at all, didn't show up at lectures and got kicked out.
>>
>>52526834
>What do you plan to do with your pol degree?

Shitposting on /pol/ of course
>>
>>52527443
The post college plan is get some min. wage job. All I need is a shitty little computer and friends, and I'm pretty happy with everything.

>>52527524
Not even once. I've got too much shitposting on /g/ to do.
>>
>>52526576
At WUSTL:
>Gen Chem 1
My parents (PhD in chem and bs chem eng) couldn't follow a class they sat in.
>Orgo 1 & 2
Brutal pace and graduate level topics
>Algorithms and Data Structures
Just a difficult course, especially when the teacher is awful.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.