[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /g/ consensus on whatsapp? Is it good? Is it at least
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 12453478345345437345345.jpg (166 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
12453478345345437345345.jpg
166 KB, 580x326
What is /g/ consensus on whatsapp? Is it good? Is it at least kind of secure? I know signal is better in that regard, but no one uses it. How does it perform in comparison to Skype? Does it lag?
>>
>>52525622
they had massive issues with encryption a couple years back. it's better now, but obviously backdoored by the NSA. don't trust it with anything important.
>>
WhatsApp was bought by Facebook. That alone should tell you it isn't secure and anything you say will be on record somewhere.
>>
I'm forced to use it because of normies, i don't even have a fagbook.
>>
>>52525714
Yeah, that's what I'm asking, I'm kind of in situation where I need something similar to it to communicate for free and most people use it. Damn I doubt I could convince anyone to actually transfer to signal.
>>
>>52525820
Just use it then but keep what >>52525642 and >>52525663 said in mind.
>>
It's still OKish, it's just not good software.
Facebook will make it bad but very very gradually as not to insta lose the user base. The next thing is opt-in ads so companies can contact you automatically.
>>
Signal.
>>
>>52525879
But how to convince pleb friends to use signal? What's the point of using it if I'm the only one?
>>
>>52525879
>>52525899
Signal and privacy can not coexist as long as signal relies on GCM.
Do not use signal.
It's a trap.
>>
>>52525899
i convinced a bunch of people but then it didn't work for one day and everyone switched back to whatsapp.
>>
>>52525622
it obviously got jewed. that story with whatsappplus and the likes is more than a proof for this.
however, you'll never convince normies to not use it, so just deal with it and probably watch out what you type.
>>
>>52525953
You should for fun check out if they can read your message by telling people you're going to bomb a school and see if you get swatted lol
>>
>>52525973
>for fun
i even have a shitskin name... that'd be suicide
>>
>>52526508
only in america, in germany they would send you some girls and money
>>
>>52525622
>owned by facebook
It's shit
>How does it perform in comparison to Skype? Does it lag?
Well skype is shit, so does whatsapp. Just use something good, it's not hard to find
>>
>>52525622
>How does it perform in comparison to Skype? Does it lag?
I've only used Whatsapp voice communication once and don't know. The text messenger part is very good however, it just works and doesn't take up much resources like Skype does.
>>
>>52527350
>believing in /pol/ memes
i AM in germany. they fuck up 12 year olds for using the term "bomb" in a jewbook status
>>
whatsap is SHIIIIT

The web client is still a joke, telegram is superior in every single way.

They had to make all the licenses lifetime to stop bleeding users to telegram and now thanks to that stunt it won't even die as fast as before
>>
It's funny because WhatsApp is more secure than Telegram default messages.
>>
>>52528174
I saw on the news that some politician's whatsapp messages were intercepted.
Shit's not secure at all
>>
>>52528219
Link.
>>
>>52528230
authorities can just ask facebook for the logs
>>
They've got me over a barrel, so whatever I can't switch now.

Fucking zuckerberger.
>>
File: 1453233601659.jpg (13 KB, 251x247) Image search: [Google]
1453233601659.jpg
13 KB, 251x247
Is it possible to get two whatsapp accounts on the same phone? I have dual SIM on my phone, one for personal contacts and the other for business, would like to keep whatsapp contacts seperate desu without buying another phone.
>>
Well they gave me "lifetime" sub for free for no reason so im not complaining
>>
>>52525914
libresignal is a thing and it's compatible (for now) with signal. Signal devs are asshats though and might get assblasted at people using websockets instead of gcm and break compatability intentionally.
>>
>>52530524
myself and most people I know who use it already had a free lifetime sub for buying it before they started charging yearly
>>
>>52525914

serious question. encryption and decryption is made on the device before it is sent, isn't it?

isn't GCM only a vector? layer 6 or 7 network application that just carries encrypted data?
>>
>>52530524
They gave me the same yesterday, but it got rolled back shortly after.
>>
>>52525933
That is what the real world is like. If your shit little app does not work properly, it will not get a solid userbase.
>>
>>52525642
>but obviously backdoored by the NSA
Please, give us reasons why it is obvious that it was backdoored by the NSA? And please, provide proof.
>>
Everyone I know uses Whatsapp and its pretty good. Don't know anything about its security but I don't really care since I discuss/share nothing secret there.
>>
>>52530654
Yes but muh metadata.
>>
The last I checked - which is before the recent update - WhatsApp on Android used code from TextSecure (now Signal) to implement the Axolotl end-to-end ratchet, which is really good encryption. However, they do not check the integrity of received keys, so it's possible for WhatsApp to MITM. There are vague indications from various law enforcement investigations that because it's possible, several jurisdictions have made them.

I don't think the iOS or other versions of WhatsApp use strong end-to-end encryption, but they did use hop-to-hop? However, I haven't checked either recently.

I don't exactly understand, but when I spoke to Facebook security engineers last, it turns out WhatsApp runs as an independent entity: FB just own the company.

>>52528174
This is correct: Telegram does not encrypt anything by default.

>>52530654
Yes, the encryption in Signal is end-to-end - device to device.

No, GCM doesn't carry data for Signal: it's only used for wakelocks.

>>52530610
Moxie wouldn't have a problem with alternative transports in principle if they work and integrate properly with everyone using Signal?

The big problem is that GCM is not just the only supported official push mechanism in Android, it's actually the only supported wakelock mechanism under Android Marshmallow or later's "deep sleep" paradigm - which will mean you will not get notifications for received messages until the device is woken manually: i.e. missed/late texts, which is the kind of thing that really pisses people off.

That's not Open Whisper Systems' fault: it's Google's, or rather Android's.

>>52531530
No mobile messenger currently available meaningfully protects against metadata surveillance, mass or targeted. The best we can do today is Pond (high-latency asynchronous systems), or Ricochet (P2P Tor hidden service messaging).

Sorry, but secure communication in the face of a global passive/active attacker is an open research problem.
>>
>>52531791
Do you do security for any big company? Since you have FB contacts I am assuming you work at some SV company.
>>
>>52528772
yes use disa for second whatsapp account
whatsapp is shit though
move to telegram faggit
>>
>>52531791
> Moxie wouldn't have a problem with alternative transports in principle if they work and integrate properly with everyone using Signal?
Is the reason there's no support for general file transfers and other stuff to keep SMS/MMS compatibility?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.