[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /g/. I am seeking the wisdom of people that use FreeNAS.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: freenas.png (12 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
freenas.png
12 KB, 150x150
Help me /g/. I am seeking the wisdom of people that use FreeNAS.

Which RAID should I use for 4x4TB drives?

Many people advise against RAID-Z1. Most of the time it is compared to RAID-5 which seems to be very common in busuiness and home enviornments - says the internet; and the interntet would't lie to me.
Z1 also offers security for one drive to fail. It's not likely that two of my drives would fail, is it? Why should I go for Z2 then?

My biggest gripe is that for 4 drives with 4 TB of storage place I would only have a little bit more than 6 TB os usable storage place. For expensive drives that not even half of all the space. Z1 would at least have almost 10 TB.

Tell me what to do!
>>
Z1 or mirror. Z2 with 4 drives would be retarded.

Also, you still need backup. Raid is not backup.
>>
>>52525288
Raid z1.
You should also get a tape drive for critical backups.
>>
>>52525288
Also you shouldn't listen to people on the freenas forum, they've grown into something of a cult and have a habit of contradicting the authors of the software they use.
>>
>>52525288
>FreeNAS
>not glorious nas4free
>>
>>52527860
nas4free is based off of freeNAS?

how you set up the redundancy mainly depends on what your trying to store, if your just hoarding movies that can be re downloaded just go with a normal RAID 5
>>
>>52525288
I am in your exact situation and went with RAIDZ1, all the important data are backed up to two different location...
I am currently running 4x 4TB WD Red where 3 are new and one has been taken for my old tower (S.M.A.R.T tests show it as fine tho).
My personal suggestion is to add a 5th drive as hot spare to your pool or keep a replacement drive to use as soon as one of the disk starts throwing S.M.A.R.T. errors
>>
File: 1340169111348.png (4 KB, 694x448) Image search: [Google]
1340169111348.png
4 KB, 694x448
>freenas
>>
>>52527915
Well, no.. Freenas originated from m0n0wall, then got rewritten in a more enterprisey direction, so some people re-forked m0n0wall and made nas4free as a more hobbyist/community oriented alternative.
>>
File: 1417894350509.jpg (22 KB, 375x383) Image search: [Google]
1417894350509.jpg
22 KB, 375x383
If I theoretically made something like a 6x4TB NAS in RAIDZ2, how would I reasonably backup it? Another similar server in a separate location?
>>
>>52528642
rsync.net
>>
RAIDZ1 is good if you aren't going to be maxing out IOPS often and just need max storage space. Striped mirrors (aka RAID10) is good if you have a bunch of drives and need speed, or want to expand later.
>>
>>52529162
You must be rich man, I envy you
>>
>>52530014
I'm not, I just have a hard time imagining someone producing 12 TB of data worth backing up without somehow making money off of it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.