[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lincucks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1437315722766.png (73 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
1437315722766.png
73 KB, 500x422
>need excel for work (tons of vba macros)
doesn't work
>want to play dark souls
doesn't work, have to use wine trash with huge performance hit and bugs
>need to interface with an iDevice
have to setup a qemu/kvm win7 vm and fight with usb passthrough

face it, linux is trash and is only good for neets, facebook machines or code monkeys
>>
>>52522944
>One argument is Excel, which isn't needed for every job.

>Another is Dark Souls, which isn't needed for any job,

>The last is connecting to other trash.

Be sure to sage.

Linux does have its issues as a daily desktop, but it isn't useless. Given the alternatives, it's just what I put up with. If Mac wasn't overpriced and Windows wasn't increasingly forceful with invading your privacy, I probably wouldn't used Linux, as I'm not a very computer-savvy person.

I downloaded Antergos when I built my computer because I didn't feel like looking for a probably fucked up illegit Windows 7.

I got windows 10 on my laptop and already don't regret having gotten Antergos for my desktop. I don't want to have my computer trying to take the liberty of doing things for me or updating without me asking.

If windows was like windows 7 but with constant optimization, I would probably wipe my computer and stay with it, because it is more convenient. My computer hasn't been able to read USB drives for weeks now and I can't figure out how to fix it. Probably wouldn't happen on Windows.

I could actually play games with my friends and not figdet with Wine, or play ranked anything without worrying about crashes or huge performance drops from the imperfect method of emulation.

But I also don't have to worry about stuff getting put onto my computer "for my own good" or anything like that. I dunno.

If I could find a legit windows 7 I'd abandon Linux, or at least dual boot with it being my secondary OS.
>>
And yet it's still a better choice than Windows. Your only argument is that it's worse because it doesn't run software designed for Windows as well or at all. That's not the fault of Linux, but the fault of the software creators.

Keep a separate Windows PC if you absolutely need some piece of Windows-only crapware/game.
>>
>>52522944
>I write my computer programs in fucking excel
Learn a fucking proper programming language you wincuck
>>
>>52522944
worrying about a performance hit in a game capped at 30 fps should be the least of your problems
>>
>>52522944

>not using excel in vm

>playing dark souls

>finding usb passthrough difficult

the problem is you, not your tools
>>
>>52523511
Some people have jobs, something not too standard on /g/, that use excel almost everyday.

>inb4 dual-boot
I hope in the name of lord zenu that you dont believe this is an optimal solution. If you do, get tested for autism or brain cancer right away
>>
File: SAGE.jpg (34 KB, 582x216) Image search: [Google]
SAGE.jpg
34 KB, 582x216
>>52523562
>daily shit on linux thread
>>
>>52523584
>Some people have jobs, something not too standard on /g/, that use excel almost everyday.
>jobs that use excel for programming
Let me guess, you are doing sales.
>>
>>52523596
Nope, just stating something that should have been obvious. The only reason i said jobs arent too standard on /g/ is how linux users can be so radical and toxic when someone disagrees with them. Btw, not OP
>>
>>52522944
>neets, facebook machines or code monkeys
So basically everyone?
>>
>>52523627
Excel runs on wine well if you really need to deal with that shit. Writing heavy programs in excel is fucking stupid, but I agree that it's not necessarily the employee's decision. It's not a good reason to dismiss Linux though.
>>
>>52523652
If you use it for experiementation, or just average use, nothing too advanced, then okay, use linux, but if you have a job that requires you to use windows specific software, i would honestly say use windows, because it would seem immature to go up to your boss and say, "Hey Boss, you know that important document you needed, for that big event going on, yeah, my computer is running linux and i couldnt really work on it at all because my emulation software fucked up, sorry"
>>
>>52522944
>need excel for work (tons of vba macros)
>doesn't work

Uhhhh it does? Latest Wine even supports Office 2013. Try again.

>want to play dark souls
>doesn't work, have to use wine trash with huge performance hit and bugs

Works just fine on my PC, no bugs. And it's a crappy FX-8320 CPU.

>need to interface with an iDevice
>have to setup a qemu/kvm win7 vm and fight with usb passthrough

There are plenty of Linux apps that work with iFaggot devices. Also

>buying Apple, ever

PEBKAC, you're just a nigger OP, stick to pleb OSes and don't hurt yourself with real software for people who understand computers.
>>
>>52523724
Well if your workspace use Windows and gives you a Windows machine then yeah, don't fucking reinstall the OS, that's fucking autistic, I agree. If you don't have a dedicated work machine and it requires Windows then your options if you really want Linux as you main OS:
- ask for a work machine if you can
- run Windows on a VM
- dual boot

The only reasons to dual boot instead of VM are:
- you need all the ram for whatever you do on Windows
- You need Windows specific drivers/passthrough for some niche hardware and passthrough fails on you for some reason.

>my emulation software fucked up
Well, wine can fuck up (but it's really not that bad), but it's not typical for VMs.
>>
File: 1452512086652.png (1 MB, 1920x635) Image search: [Google]
1452512086652.png
1 MB, 1920x635
>>52522944
>Excel
Literally cuxcel online
>Dark souls
Literally grow the fuck up
>Interface with an iDevice
xDDD
>>
kek at all the usual neet butthurt lincucks.
>muh if it doesn't work don't use it.
>>
>>52523980
>I want MS applications to run on linux
How old are you?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.