[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>requirements: experience with linux >zero specifics,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: 1446589073072.webm (864 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446589073072.webm
864 KB, 400x400
>requirements: experience with linux
>zero specifics, just "experience with linux"

why do people do this?
>>
>>52519586
Install ubunutu:

Next, next, next, next, yes, next, install.

Congratulations, you now have "experience with linux".
>>
Ambiguous requirements are the best, it lets you bend the truth.
Would you rather have "10 years experience with Linux, Unix, AIX, HP/UX, IDGAFUX, etc."???
>>
>>52519713
I myself have 10 years experience in I-don't-give-a-fucks.
>>
>>52519684
no, you fucking dont. they will ask you in the interview and you'll be exposed as a pretender
>>
>>52520082
ask you what? how to make a shitposting bot on /g/ that gets butthurt when people see others get jobs they coulnd't troll their way into? lmao.
>>
>>52519586
>Apply for DevOps position at company
>Get accepted because only applicant with "real" Linux experience (not >>52519684) and in-depth knowledge of our products
>Get told first day after accepting the position that we do NOT do a damn thing involving our products
>Ask about the Linux work I'll be doing
>"Oh we just use that to host MongoDB. Nobody knows how to use it. Nobody touches it. You definitely won't be touching that. Even the Senior DevOps don't get to do that."
>All I would do all day is paste pre-made SQL into a pre-made "run me" script on servers, divert if anything goes wrong, and click run in Octopus
>Went back to previous position by the end of the week

You tell me.
>>
>>52520136
On my interview they asked me things like "How do you change directory in the terminal" and "Where are system logs located". Installing Ubuntu doesn't teach you that. You know, questions to make sure you actually have Linux experience.
>>
>>52520192
Holy shit those were the questions? That's fucking depressing m
>>
>>52520192
>how do you change directory
>cd
>WOW YOU'RE HIRED
are you kidding me? i thought they'd ask if you could implement BSD sockets.
>>
>>52520192
>How do you change directory in the terminal
>Where are system logs located
Come on, those are a joke. Those are absolute basics.

At a minimum, I'd expect someone who claims to have linux experience to answer a basic troubleshooting question (like "hard drive is full, I deleted a file, but space didn't free up").
>>
>>52520158
>not hiring Indians to do that work for you while you shitpost all day
>>
>>52520158
that soudns cushy as fuck. why not write a script that copies and paste submitted code? you could sit around and just masturbate to anime all day.
>>
>>52520258
>>52520269
>>52520271
It's the basics but it's more than people expect you to know. I remember when, in a previous job, one of your vendors sent a support person out because the server they remotely managed lost network connectivity after one of their updates and none of us had login information on it. She had a whole day prepared to teach us the basics of RHEL (like cd, ls, tail, all that) but when we told her we were good she was pretty surprised. Nobody really expects the average schmuck to know those things.
>>
>>52520318
Because the code was submitted any number of completely random-as-fuck ways from improperly pasted out of notepad, to attached as a proper SQL file, to attached as a .docx with formatting placed on it. And some required particular orders, but fuck if that makes a difference as to how it's submitted or even listed.

Plus having to be on call 24/7 listening to whiney babies piss and moan about how their code worked in testing (Yeah, you copied and pasted it successfully. How about you actually RUN it?) but because it didn't work in prod, it's our fault, and we all get to be up until 5am finding out why only to then get bombarded with calls because "OMG THE SITE BROKE?! FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT" before we can revert. (Hah! Revert... That's funny.)

NOT worth the $5 an hour increase, and move to salary instead of hourly.
>>
>>52520271
i have to ask
you deleted one of many hardlinks/a symlink?
>>
>>52520453
There's many possible answers to it, that's one of them.
The go-to one for me would be "you deleted the file but it's still open by a program", since that's not unheard of with poorly written software.
>>
>>52520492
ah, forgot about that one. thanks!
>>
>>52520492
But wouldn't it be erased from the hard drive and just exist in ram?
>>
>>52520562
You would think, but no.
Do this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/shm/test bs=1k count=1M
in python: f = open('/dev/shm/test', 'r'), leave python open
note used space on /dev/shm
rm /dev/shm/test
note used space on /dev/shm, it will still show 1GB used (plus whatever may have been there before)
exit python
used space will now go back down
>>
>so, what are your experiences with linux
>crontab, making a script for backuping to external storage and schedule those scripts
>don't call us, we'll call you
>mfw
>>
>>52520585
>shared memory
>>
>>52520652
/dev/shm is a normal tmpfs on any modern system.
It acts like any filesystem, just sits in RAM rather than being associated with an actual block device/file, network resource, or any other mountable.
>>
>>52520670
>>52520652
And ironically, /tmp is actually not a tmpfs on many systems. Debian and presumably most derivatives keep /tmp on the root filesystem (or designated partition). So using a true tmpfs like /dev/shm is not only faster but will save you HDD/SSD writes.
>>
>>52520082
If they are retarded enough to put "experience with linux" then they won't know how to install an OS, that is like magic to them
>>
>>52520698
What we just did for a recent round of hiring was quiz people on whatever they actually put on their resume.
So if someone claimed to have Linux experience, they'd get tested on that. If they claimed to know Python, they'd get tested on that. If they made no claim to know something, they didn't get tested on it.
Unsurprisingly, the bullshitters didn't even make it past the phone interview.
>>
My favorite is the ones in my area that say experience with Windows

I am a 21 year old Neet. I lived Windows. What the fuck kind of exp do I need?
>>
>>52519586
That's when you ask for a computer and a USB with a Gentoo minimum install disk burned onto it and proceed to install it in under 1 hour.
>>
>>52520747
Could you set up a windows domain from scratch?
That's what I'd consider to be "experience", especially considering how easy MS makes it compared to the various Linux equivalents.
>>
>>52520269
Or even at least manipulate an ip table Jesus Christ
>>
>>52520585
Just tried it. Neat.
>>
>>52520192
uh just so we're clear...
u-uh...where ARE the system logs located?
>>
>>52521076
/var
>>
>>52520780
I am talking about the shit where I go in for the interview, show my skills, and they outright say I need more exp but otherwise seem qualified. This actually happens. Its even better because most of the shit mom and pops that do this are your typical Suburban Richfags who tried running a business. It would be like "Son fix my computer" except they pay you.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.