[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember Windows Gadgets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: vistagadgets.png (441 KB, 975x1269) Image search: [Google]
vistagadgets.png
441 KB, 975x1269
Microsoft killed off gadgets, a feature of Vista and 7 that had been prominently displayed in their ads, with no fanfare and no apologies. Now they've created 'Apps' in Windows 8 and 10. How long until they abandon these ecosystems and developers too?
>>
File: gadget security.png (428 KB, 1229x1518) Image search: [Google]
gadget security.png
428 KB, 1229x1518
>>52518384
>>
>>52518384
Gadgets was a one of Microsofts many me-too wannabe efforts that was a rip off of OSX's Widgets, which was a rip off of Konfabulator, which was a rip off of the original Mac OS' Desk Accessories. (Someone want to trace it back further?)
Even OSX has since regulated Widgets to being a part of the notifications screen.
>>
Vista gadgets and Calendar were pretty good. I kinda want to use them in other systems.
>>
>>52518384
Gadgets were not a bad idea but really didn't add all that much to the experience and opened themselves up to security risks.

The tiles are a lot better compromise in all honesty.
>>
>>52518384
>gadgets
>an ecosystem of developers
Holy shit are you grasping at straws.
>>
File: gadgetscontext.png (32 KB, 372x366) Image search: [Google]
gadgetscontext.png
32 KB, 372x366
>>52518758
>MS Shill

Have you clicked the context menu on Windows 7 and clicked 'gadgets'? Previously it brought up the gadget marketplace. Now it takes you to essentially a 404 page on microsoft.com saying you 'gadgets are a security hole so fuck you'.
>>
Notes/Calander were very useful although I'm sure there's better alternatives out there and I can live without them.

Remember the windows 7 and Vista theme packs for windows xp that also added those gadgets using rainmeter? die in a fire. those were bad times
>>
i use this thing. works fine under win10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/178869/how-to-add-gadgets-back-to-windows-8.1/
>>
File: tilestilestiles.jpg (30 KB, 263x400) Image search: [Google]
tilestilestiles.jpg
30 KB, 263x400
>>52519248
Honestly what's the point of a weather widget when you have a weather tile?
>>
>>52518571
It's pretty similar to ActiveDesktop.
>>
File: ssss.png (134 KB, 143x1159) Image search: [Google]
ssss.png
134 KB, 143x1159
i like gadgets.
i really dont use them anymore.
but addgadgets.com + AIDA64's gadget + some russian weather gadget was great
>>
>>52520999
active desktop should have been developed further. i feel like there was a lot potential that was missed out on.

could have replaced/customized icons, start menu, etc.
>>
I don't remember any of the widgets available being useful like ever.
Not even in OS X (I have a MBP and a PC), widgets belong on phones
>>
Rainmeter exists.
/thread
>>
>>52521047
Is that your desktop gadgets ? Win or Linux?
>>
>>52518571
>Konfabulator
Holy shit, someone on /g/ remembers Konfabulator.

It's kinda sad that both Kaleidoscope and Konfabulator went the way of the dodo... especially Kaleidoscope. I wonder what Arlo and Greg are up to these days.
>>
>>52521412
windows
>>
>>52521566
Are the pictured gadgets same as mentioned in post text?
>>
>>52521660
yes.
1st 3 are from addgadget website
4th is from AIDA64
5th is from weathercenter.narod2.ru
>>
Apps are barely a thing these days anyways. The app fad is pretty much over.

The most popular ones are messenger and some shitty games. That's about it.
>>
>>52518384
I remember Gadgets.

NO ONE USED THEM.

EVER.
>>
>>52518887
>Have you clicked the context menu on Windows 7 and clicked 'gadgets'?
No.
Literally never.
>>
>>52518384
It was a pretty useless feature anyway. I always disabled it on my Win 7 computers through GPO.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.