[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows on Chromebook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: C720-zoom-big.png (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
C720-zoom-big.png
1 MB, 1200x1200
Are there any particular Chromebooks that are 100% compatible with Windows 10? I would really like to get a cheap, light, and long-battery-life chromebook for work but need W10 for muh softwarez.
>>
File: y_tho.jpg (4 KB, 174x174) Image search: [Google]
y_tho.jpg
4 KB, 174x174
>>52516317
>Windows on chromebook
Get an ideapad or an old PC and install puppy linux.
>>
windows on 16-32 GB SSD will be painful to use

And these things come with a locked bios. You need to do lots of unusual things to remove Chrome Os and install Windows on it.
>>
>>52516317
I've seen vids of people installing windows on chromebooks but they had to then use both an external mouse and external keyboard.

A better approach might be to use chrome remote desktop feature. This will require that you have a 2nd computer running windows set up somewhere like your house and then use your chromebook to remote into it via chrome remote desktop app. For this to work u will need chrome installed + chrome remote desktop app set up on the windows machine. Also this will only work when both machines are connected to the internet and if either connection is slow it can get really laggy. But if the connections are good it's pretty doable. I've remoted back to a mac and a windows machine at my house while using a chromebook at a coffeeshop and I even been able to do things like use photoshop and illustrator that are running on the remote machines etc. It's like your chromebook becomes the joystick controlling the remote computer. It kind of depends on what programs you have to use.

Another option to look into would be trying to install windows in a vm on the chromebook. I haven't tried that yet but i would assume it might be possible. You would have to either set up something like crouton or completely wipe chromeos and install a different linux distro to be able to do this though. Normal stock chromeOS is not going to let you run virtualbox.
>>
Locked firmware aside, you won't even be able to fit a windows install on one
>>
>>52517571
I can confirm this works.
I have Linux mint on an HP14 chromebook and am running both Windows 7 and 10 (32 bit) under Virtualbox.
>>
>>52517581
Some models allow you to add your own harddrive like the Acer C720. As long as you know how to use a screwdriver you can upgrade from the 16gb flash drive to whatever size you want. Ram on C720 is soldered in tho so gotta make sure to get a 4gb version. On the Acer C710 you can upgrade both the harddrive and ram.
>>
What about linux on an asus chromebook? Do any distros have touch screen support?
>>
>>52516317
HP stream....
>>
Running w10 on a c720 here. Everything works, touchpad is not the greatest. Bretty good for a <100 computer. Check reddit, theres a whole sub dedicated to putting windows on chromebooks.
>>
>>52517664
Ubuntu with unity has objectively the best support for touchscreens and gestures. Gtk3 has the best touch interaction support (way better than qt5). Only Ubuntu has a correctly patched qt5 to enable consistent touch input support.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.