[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Infrastructure Engineer a good job? I know about computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: twat-with-a-laptop.jpg (347 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
twat-with-a-laptop.jpg
347 KB, 750x500
Is Infrastructure Engineer a good job?

I know about computers but development is PURE SHIT

I want to be doing something hands on like installing servers, replacing busted hardware, laying cable, shit like that
>>
>>52516000

Bump for justice
>>
File: 1453155120924.png (25 KB, 271x291) Image search: [Google]
1453155120924.png
25 KB, 271x291
>>52516000
trips means you're a fag
>>
That's my job title but its another way of saying 2nd line support. On £30,000, jobs OK nothing too difficult. What you want to know?
>>
>>52516285
Fellow britfag, nice. That sounds like a pretty good salary. Do you enjoy the work? Did you need any qualifications for it (e.g. CompTIA or anything)? I have a degree and worked as a webdev but I assume that's probably useless right?
>>
>>52516000
I pull cable, it's shit.
>>
Alright m8, yeah its not bad, we get bonuses and pay rises every year. My last bonus was just over £3,000. The work can be great, I go unchecked almost everyday. Some days I'll show my face in the morning then just go home as I can log in remotely if anyone is after me to do something.

There are the crud parts to it for sure. Too long to really get into but let's just say the crud is usually users making dumb requests. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

I came to my current role as a drop out from Uni but I did spend 2 years working at another company on the help desk as 1st line support. Since I've been with these guys they've paid for my quals, I've got a few VMware certs, some Microsoft ones and an ITIL foundation one. All look nice on my CV but make little difference in my day to day work.

Degree will certainly give you the added edge over someone without one but I don't think it's the be all end all. I've heard my boss interviewing and you'd be surprised to know one of the biggest criteria he talks about afterwards is if he thinks they'd be OK as in get on with the rest of the team.

Where you from out of curiosity?

Also God save the Queen and all that.
>>
>>52517294
Fuck the queen.
>>
>>52516000
IT GUY

The career
>>
>>52517294
As I'm sure you can tell I am not the first guy that replied to you because as a proud Brit I would never take Liz's name in vain.

Anyway I am from Portsmouth (just outside it). And that all sounds pretty cool to be honest.

>I've heard my boss interviewing and you'd be surprised to know one of the biggest criteria he talks about afterwards is if he thinks they'd be OK as in get on with the rest of the team.

I think every boss is like that and understandably. Doesn't matter what you know if you can't operate in a working environment.

But yeah after uni I was a web dev for 1.5 years, then I stupidly quit, but partly because it's so fucking frustrating sitting in front of a computer, staring at code, ALL DAY. I mean maybe I just needed to manage my time better and tell people to fuck off a bit more when they brought me new bugs and shit but yeah, I got stressed out and snapped I guess.

I've just been thinking if I can do a more hands-on IT job. But it sounds like you spend most of your time at a desk too? Or do you also have to visit server rooms from time to time, install and replace hardware, stuff like that?
>>
>>52517660

I knew it was an interloper. There isn't a britfag out there who doesn't love our dear Liz.

My place is recruiting but we're a long, long way away from you unless Manchester is commuting distance for you :-)

To be honest mate your dev job sounds a bit like mine. I get users coming up to me about trivial rubbish, non existent problems. I've found myself getting annoyed too but i know i have it good here so have to bite my tongue.

The day can be spent sat in front of multiple monitor's but its all personal preference really. There are days when you'll be up and down doing desk visits, kit builds, patching and data centre work, it all depends on the kind of jobs you pick up. I'm free to pick up whatever work I like unless something urgent drops in.
>>
>>52518056
im not op but am interested in this kind of work, what would it take to be hired? i have no previous work experience
>>
>>52520413
i meant no previous work exp in this field, ive had jobs before.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.