[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pirate Radio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 41oyVR9MTBL._SY450_.jpg (17 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
41oyVR9MTBL._SY450_.jpg
17 KB, 450x450
Does anyone here think that there is a huge risk of getting caught with a pretty low (0.1-0.5w) power station running out of one's house? I live in a small town, not near any big cities, and only really plan to transmit on empty frequencies like late at night. The signal should only reach out a mile or two from my house, so do you think there are any big dangers?
>>
This is also something I'm interested in.
>>
>>52511803
As long as you do not disturb anyone with it no one cares, if no one reports interference no one will ever come looking for you.
Like you said, just use it on empty frequencies and at low power.

If you see a van with a large yagi antenna on the roof it might be time to stop, but it is very unlikely anyone cares.
>>
Just get your general licence. It takes like 4 hours of studying
>>
>>52512012
This, the test isn't hard.
>>
>>52511803
What kind of gear would one need?
>>
>>52512012
I was talking about fm. That's where the problems arise with licensing.
>>
>>52512012
Anything that isn't a broadcasting license isn't gonna help OP if he wants to broadcast.
>>
>>52512763
What frequency?
>>
>52512811
Probably between 87-89 or 106.5-108 as those are usually dead in my area
>>
>>52512494
All that I need is one of these small fm transmitters. The one in the picture in op is weak with a small antenna that does everything pretty much
>>
>>52512494

Depends on how bad ass you want it to be but just to put music on the air:

an audio source(what you want to put on air)
a transmitter (takes audio source and modulates an RF carrier wave according to the amplitude of that audio)
an antenna(a transducer, changes rf voltage in to em wave)
>>
>>52511803
I remember that is was a way to do it with a raspberry pi and some antenna shit, try it, it's cheap
>>
>>52512881
This. I have a mixer though to allow for mixing multiple sources, and my voice
>>
It's actually not illegal, OP.

Low-power non-licensed transmitters are expressly permitted by Part 15 of the FCC's regulations.

As long as you're not causing interference, you're good.
>>
>>52512811
Any commercial 88.5-107 has ball cutting licensing fees. Fucking JewFCC maaaan..
>>
>>52512938
How low power are we talking about?

Note, I'm technician licensed for ham, so I just shit up my local repeater when drunk.

Broadcasting and music, I thought (well was taught) was a major fucking no no bad.

But, I'm assuming you can fly under (it's for my own property useage) or part15.
>>
>>52512972
It's not part 15, but is still relatively weak, 0.1-0.5w. Just inquiring about my chances of being caught in such a small community
>>
>>52512972
It depends on where you want to broadcast. Best to read the part yourself.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet63/oet63rev.pdf
>>
>>52513045
I mean, tbqh, start looking up how active your local HAM community is first. They're the ones that will be going on a foxhunt to find you before the FCC does.

>>52513059
I'll read up on it. I just never knew the entire specifics.
>>
>>52513045
>Just inquiring about my chances of being caught in such a small community

Even if you do get caught, you'll get a letter telling you to knock it off. No jail time or fines, unless you ignore the FCC and continue interfering with whatever got you caught.
>>
>>52512873
If its low power (only within your property) then its ok, if its anything more serious then dont get caught
>>
>>52512938
>>52512972
>Low-power non-licensed transmitters are expressly permitted by Part 15 of the FCC's regulations.

Low power is relative. The FCC website says 200ft. OP's minimal power is 100mW. An 1/4 wavelength vertical antenna 10 feet in the air would transmit further than 200ft.

>>52512938
>Broadcasting and music, I thought (well was taught) was a major fucking no no bad.

extra here. Broadcasting is allowed technically under very specific circumstances. I think calling CQ is considered broadcasting. If you meet certain requirements amateur radio frequencies can be used to broadcast emergency communications.

Music is a definite no no on amateur frequencies. Singing happy birthday to a friend over the air is even prohibited.
>>
>>52511803
just host internet radio senpai
>>
>>52513102
>I think calling CQ is considered broadcasting. If you meet certain requirements amateur radio frequencies can be used to broadcast emergency communications.

I know broadcasting is allowed under life threatening emergencies and emergency communications.

What I was reading prevciously is while a CQ *IS* a broadcast, you're trying to start communication with a specific station and it's not a broadcast due to that.

(AKA, we're going to make shit up as we go along just like the ATF).
>>
File: 1443023394262.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1443023394262.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>52513102
>Singing happy birthday to a friend over the air is even prohibited.
>>
>>52511803
Thrid thread in a day, stop asking to be spoonfed.
>>
>>52513128
>ATF

Every morning I tie my shoe laces er I mean machine guns that I have paid the tax stamp on.

>>52513137
If you can say the lyrics with no melody at all, then it's all good.
>>
>>52513309
That ain't shit.

I've got 4 shoelaces I've not paid my taxes on, have home made liquor, and am smoking untaxed cigarettes right now while looking at how you make Acetone-peroxide.

BRB, my door is getting knocked on...
>>
File: nfalightninglink-01.jpg (43 KB, 513x214) Image search: [Google]
nfalightninglink-01.jpg
43 KB, 513x214
>>52513356
I reported you to the atf for unlicensed sheet metal. You have nothing to worry about if you don't have any sheet metal. If I were you i'd wear flip flops while answering that door though.
>>
>>52513405
>I reported you to the atf for unlicensed sheet metal. You have nothing to worry about if you don't have any sheet metal. If I were you i'd wear flip flops while answering that door though.

Do you own hacksaw blades?

YES!?

GOOD YOU HAVE AN UNREGISTERED MACHINE GUN. (Three hours in a machine shop, kek).
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.