[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/entlemen I never really used anti-virus on my laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: hacker[1].jpg (299 KB, 746x643) Image search: [Google]
hacker[1].jpg
299 KB, 746x643
Sup /g/entlemen

I never really used anti-virus on my laptop because the best security is simply not to be a fucking idiot on the internet and antivirus just felt like a pointless bloatware - especially since it came with McAfee which I removed straight away.

Long story short I'm wondering what the best free anti-virus available in terms of providing that little bit of background security just in case in your personal opinion(s).
>>
just use mse
>>
Only install things from your package manager or from downloaded source code.
>>
>>52511620
an anti-virus that doesn't even impact your ram is no anti-virus at all, still, how heavy a program can be on your system depends all on the settings you choose, I'm running avast free with settings all maxed out, no issues so far, you won't even notice with ssd anyway.
>>
File: 1447465359340.png (10 KB, 439x474) Image search: [Google]
1447465359340.png
10 KB, 439x474
>>52511620
>I never really used anti-virus on my laptop because the best security is simply not to be a fucking idiot on the internet and antivirus just felt like a pointless bloatware - especially since it came with McAfee which I removed straight away.
>/g/ circa 2016
>>
File: 1453193996485.jpg (113 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1453193996485.jpg
113 KB, 500x500
>>52511639
>mse
>doesn't even stop ransomware viruses
>>
Think it's worth mentioning I'm on Windows 8.
>inb4 'Windows 8' - It's a personal and a work laptop so it has to remain this way, as much as I fucking hate it.

>>52511665
Not sure what you're implying.
McAfee is like a cancer residing deep inside your internal memory.
>>
>>52511741

I take no issue with hatred of MacAfee but /g/ 'Common Sense 2016 is the only thing you need' meme is retarded.

Mainstream websites such Yahoo and Huffington post have had malware injected into their ads.

To think that you can't get infected or make a mistake is just arrogant. The same with internet facing XP users who are deluded into thinking that their system isn't a swiss cheese.
>>
>>52511620
>Antivirus is bloat, muh common sense
>recommend me Antivirus
Good thread
>>
>>52511860
>I take no issue with hatred of MacAfee but /g/ 'Common Sense 2016 is the only thing you need' meme is retarded

Hence why I'm looking for an anti-virus.
>>
>>52511943
You're retarded , as said - >>52511967
>>
>>52511967

MalwareBytes friendo

Don't worry about buying the full version.
>>
>>52511620
just install a free vesion of avast, register it with an email and you are done.
look in the setup settings to disable almost everything except the real time protection, shut down browser, email and other shit, its all you need.
>i was the same, no AV at all, but there were consequences.
>>
Tbh the best thing to prevent malware is NoScript
>>
Avira free + Malwarebytes
>>
Everyone who says common sense is an idiot.Common sense won't protect you from breaches, updates pushing malware and similar stuff.For example last year there was an update in Puush that installed virus for you automatically.How would common sense help then?
I heard avira is good
>>
>>52512095
Because people here are Dumbasses. Windows pc are the most vulnerable OS on the market, and well only because Literally 80 percent of viruses written are targeted towards the windows operating system. How dumb can you get.
>>
>>52511620
>I never really used anti-virus on my laptop because the best security is simply not to be a fucking idiot on the internet and antivirus just felt like a pointless bloatware - especially since it came with McAfee which I removed straight away.
I used to say that too until I got some major infection that stole some passwords and shit. Nowadays I use a paid Kaspersky license.
>>
>>52512231
>>52512161
>>52512095

As I said - I know it's not enough hence why I'm looking for a decent anti-virus in the first place.
>>
>>52512286

We do have a sticky, you realise?
>>
>>52512095
Not having puush installed is how common sense would help.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.