[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you partition your linux installation? 200 MB boot 25
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 284x178) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 284x178
How do you partition your linux installation?

200 MB boot
25 GB root
435 GB home
4 GB swap

post your configurations
>>
i just click next
>>
>>52508334
/thread
>>
File: topkeksus.jpg (46 KB, 363x359) Image search: [Google]
topkeksus.jpg
46 KB, 363x359
>>52507768
>Swap

Fucking sub 4 gb of ram scum.
>>
>>52507768
if using mbr:
1TB rootfs /
if using efi:
64 mb /boot
rest is rootfs /
>>
0 to 2 GB swap
2GiB to 100% root
>>
>>52507768
100MB boot
40GB root
250GB home
no swap
>>
Depends: hdd or ssd ?

SSD: I would recommend using some ramdisk (tmpfs) for /tmp and /var (/var/log <- depends if you need the log files after reboot.)
I would also avoid swap on an SSD. Just buy plenty of ram.

cheers
>>
>>52507768
996 GB /
4 GB swap
>>
>>52507768
>[THE CURRENT YEAR]
>swap

Ahahahah.
>>
>>52508365
>>52509099
Dumb desktop user
>>
>>52509110
Try again, I'm on a laptop.
>>
I used to use elaborate schemes but nowadays I just use a single partition with swap. I'm not running a fucking server.
>>
no thank you data harvester
>>
>>52507768
This is not yet the case, I want to try it someday though:

One btrfs partition, /OS /boot /home subvolumes, "OS" mounted on /.
One swap partition equal in size to physical ram.

This way I wouldn't have to worry about running out of space on separate volumes.
>>
>>52508365
Why? What happens when you use your 4gb of ram? When i overflow my 2gb of ram, my 8gb swap gives me a nice buffer to shut a couple programs without straught up crashing my computer
>>
All these fags without a home partition
>/dev/sda1 swap
>/dev/sda2 ext4 /
>/dev/sda3 ext4 /home
>>
>>52507768
Entire drive to rootfs, swap to a file
>>
>>52507768
6 GiB of swap and the rest is one large partiton for everything.
>>
>>52507768
>/boot 250MB
>/ 120GB
>/home 500GB

fun fact, moving my /boot from the SSD to the HDD made my boot time increase by 1s
>>
>>52507768
PUTIN WHAT ARE YOU DOING
>>
>dedicating a partition to /home
>not mounting another separate drive
>>
>>52508334
I zozzled, and keked, and loled
>>
File: fatcunt.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fatcunt.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>>52507768
>4gb of swap
>tiny root partition
>huge home partition
>4 fucking gb's of swap
>ever needing a separate home partition
>4 godfuckingdamned gb's of swap fucking hell

Separate home partition is only useful if you need it encrypted. And who in their right mind needs more than 512mb of swap, even on a goddamn netbook.

Also who ZFS here?
>>
>>52510881
>tfw delicious zfs goodness
Shame the only way to access it through Windows is through a convoluted VM setup or through another machine

Although ZFS without ECC is asking for trouble
>>
>>52509128
>single partition with swap
Enjoy having to reinstall everything with reinstall
>>
>>52510952
>Although ZFS without ECC is asking for trouble
Actually other filesystems would need it much more than ZFS does.
>>
>0.5 GB /boot
>ext4
>20 to 30 GB /root
>btrfs
>rest is /home
>xfs
>>
>>52507768
all available space on /
>>
>>52511273
ZFS's corruption prevention needs ECC; not using ECC is worse than not using ZFS
> TL;DR version of the scenario: ZFS is on a system with non-ECC RAM that has a stuck bit, its user initiates a scrub, and as a result of in-memory corruption good blocks fail checksum tests and are overwritten with corrupt data, thus instantly murdering an entire pool. As far as I can tell, this idea originates with a very prolific user on the FreeNAS forums named Cyberjock, and he lays it out in this thread here. It’s a scary idea – what if the very thing that’s supposed to keep your system safe kills it? A scrub gone mad! Nooooooo!
> http://jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/
>>
One partition with a swap file on it.
>>
>>52511366
If you read that same article a little further you'd notice he debunks the idea completely. It only corrupts the data of a block in a rare specific scenario, and to have a scrub-of-death requires it to consistently happen for all blocks. Which is simply not how ram works.
The most that will happen is zfs logging an error about an unreadable block because it cannot verify checksums. A lot of unreadable, but not corrupted blocks. Fix the ram and you're good to go again.
>>
200MB /boot fat32 efi
30GB / ext4
8GB swap
80 /home ext4

running arch, i3-gaps for muh aesthetics
>>
>>52507768
256 MiB /boot and esp on FAT32
8192 MiB swap
~950 GiB / on Btrfs
>>
>>52507768
128 MB boot
rest root because I'm not fucking autistic and my machine has 8 GB of RAM and runs fucking Linux so why the fuck would I compile swap support into my kernel in the first place?
>>
>>52507768
4 GB boot
10 GB root
190 GB home
0 GB swap
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.