[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Android PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: boot_splash_promo1-750x380.jpg (24 KB, 750x380) Image search: [Google]
boot_splash_promo1-750x380.jpg
24 KB, 750x380
Will Android ultimately replace Windows on home PC ?
>>
Not until it fully supports proper multitasking, input methods and real applications.
>>
>>52506455
this

if you don't realize that, go back to few years ago when all the mainstream media were hyping le post-pc era and stay there
>>
>>52506455
>Not until it fully supports proper multitasking, input methods and real applications.
It can be done, and maybe it is not really necessary for mass consumer market .And I think if there were enough apps with both desktop and mobile version, if they allow to buy two copies of app (one for mobile, one for desktop) with one payment, I think Android can achieve it.
>>
>>52506424
No, android is limited on so many aspects, it's like a children's toy OS.
>>
>>52506503
>It can be done, and maybe it is not really necessary for mass consumer market
It is. Despite all of the retarded tech hipster hype, the mass consumer market doesn't give a shit about being trendy and up to date, they want to run all of their old software they paid hundreds for a decade ago that works just fine for their use case exactly the way they want to run it.

Even the typical smartphone tard shitposting away on facebook from their iPhone still keeps a shitty Windows laptop at their desk for when they need to do something more than waste time dicking around on the internet.
>>
>>52506424
No, it's made for phones and tablets. Fuck off with your desktop android shit
>muh material design
>>
>>52506455
>>52506484
>>52506565
Android is built upon Linux, and full and proper Linux is running inside Android.
Multitasking and binary blob execution are supported, just like on desktop Linux or on Windows. Input methods like keyboard and mouse are also fully supported.
>>
>>52506572
All that You said it exactly what I'm doubt of. Ordinary people use Windows cause it is the only thing that they know and all the stuff from magazine covers etc. will run of it. Then imagine a natural blonde buying some trendy simple game on Google Play for her phone and reading "do you want to have this app on your PC too?" , and after obviously "yes" - "Sorry, seems You have not Android on Your PC" etc. That's todays mass market. They use Windows cause PC Android is not commercially matured yet. Of course, pros and geeks will stay with win and others, but it is a minority.
>>
>>52506453
this
/thread
>>
Is there even any Android PC that decodes 1080p 10Bit videos?
>>
>>52506424
>Will Android ultimately replace Windows on home PC ?
Will bikes replace cars as a means of transportation?
>>
>>52507156
Dunno, but might be . I'm speaking about possibilities. If market for this appears, there will be.
>>
>>52506684
Linux isn't a real OS though.
>>
>>52507475
In what way?
>>
>>52507477
GNN00B
>>
>>52507477
Only nerds use it to show off how cool they are to each other.
>>
>>52507498
Okay, but in what way is Linux not a real OS?
>>
>>52507512
In the way I already mentioned.
>>
>>52507528
It saddens me to say this but you do not understand what it means to be a real OS.
>>
>>52507498
There is more to Linux than Archfags
>>
>>52506424
>>Doesn't come with a built-in file manager
Nope. Android is shit-tier and buggy as shit. It's popular because google had powerspace and they sell them as shit-tier bottom fo the barrel handsets.
>>
y'all nigs can try remix os, suppose to be android for x86-64 devices or some shit

i personally couldn't get anything downloaded off the play store
>>
>>52506424
yes absolutely
>>
>>52506424
Maybe if youre some kind of retard who needs computers on rails to use them.
>>
>>52507477
>being this new
Linux is only the kernel. The operating system you use is GNU, which uses the Linux kernel, so it's GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52508431
I don't use GNU, I use buildroot with linux kernel.

Also it's only a matter terminology - Linux creator, Linus, considers his work to be OS, not simply kernel.
>>
>>52508446
>Linux creator, Linus, considers his work to be OS, not simply kernel.
He can consider his work to be whatever he wants but that doesn't change the fact that it's simply a kernel.
>>
>>52508222
>some kind of retard who needs computers on rails to use them
Good description of mass market customer.
>>
>>52508483
The field is too young for someone's definition to be only and correct. I choose to subscribe to his terminology out of respect for him, so Linux is OS for me. If you want to use a different terminology that's fine by me, but I'll stick to my ways.
>>
>>52506655
They will never learn my friend.
>>
>>52506484
>>52506565
>>52506655
>>52507024
>>52507650
>responding to bait
go back to reddit
>>
>>52506424
>Will Java ultimately replace C on home PC?
>>
>>52507156
Every 2015 high end ARM SoC had 10bit HEVC support, AND a good enough cpu that can do software decoding if paired with Lollipop/Marshmallow and a proper video player.
I can play 10bit 1080p videos even on a Kirin 920.
Meanwhile mpv + Intel 5200U struggle with them...
>>
File: 1446133626678.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1446133626678.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>52508534
>>
>>52508431
But android uses no GNU components, hence should rather be Android/Linux if you were to refer to it in such an autismal way.
>>
In the future we won't have home pcs

For most normalfags currently their worst computer is their old desktop from 2006 (built by dell/hp/gateway that was already obsolete when they bought it) while their best is their laptop

Desktops are dying out
>>
Nope. There's a reason why even Chromebooks don't use Android.
>>
>>52506572
>Even the typical smartphone tard shitposting away on facebook from their iPhone still keeps a shitty Windows laptop at their desk for when they need to do something more than waste time dicking around on the internet.
I doubt that, I had a student turn her paper in her iPhone.
She wrote the paper in note app, because she couldn't print the paper with the old printer.
I gave her B-
>>
I use my android tablet for most of my casual computing these days. Fuck dealing with windows for anything not document related.

Need gaming? Get a console. Need video editing? Get a Mac. Investing in windows ecosystem is a waste of money and time especially now that it's become more of a botnet than google and MS is desperately going after poo in the look audience.
>>
>>52506424
Ultimately, I think it will. Phones need to be able to link to desktop peripherals seamlessly first, though.

Android is already capable of proper multitasking and real applications, but MS Windows will have to die or lose even more market share before MS considers porting full Office to it. They're already cracking, as can be seen with their "lol we love open source and linux, cloud computing for everybody!!!1" bullshit.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.